/hhg- Horus Heresy General - Stormwhale Edition

Fast Attack-Best Attack Sub-Edution

Previous Thread: >Thread FAQ
pastebin.com/iUqNrrA8

>Official HH 7th Edition Errata (not updated since January 2016)
forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Horus_Heresy/Horus_Heresy_7th_Edition.pdf

>30k TACTICA & TIPS
What to include in a HH list, how to format it, what makes each legion special (crunch), tactics, Tutorials for Heresy-era minis and more
pastebin.com/Tm2P4QLp

>HH Books, Novels and Rulebooks galore
pastebin.com/k9uvqsub
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.docdroid.net%2Ffz1OuHK%2Fcrusade-imperialis-army-lists.pdf.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.docdroid.net%2FZTK72gs%2Flegiones-astartes-age-of-darkness-army-list.pdf.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmega.nz%2F%23F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg

>/HHG/'s Legion demographics
strawpoll.me/10558764

>/HHG/'s allegiances
www.strawpoll.me/10663447

>Primarch Popularity Poll
strawpoll.me/11458318

>STUFF ANONS ASK FOR
www49.zippyshare.com/v/aYWlVV9f/file.html
www32.zippyshare.com/v/heDZWytT/file.html

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3FpjcOWwiI4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is there any other fluff about AI other than the SW Exemplary Battle? That was pretty damn cool, but the yiffs got in the way of the badass pseudoorganic killing machines fighting the Skitarii. Might be something cool for the ideas book.

Also, Whalebird parts are now on order from a dozen different places.

Reposting from old bread. I was considering light drybrushing/highlights of red over black like one user mentioned a few threads back. Anyone have any examples and experience, or will it just end up looking like shit?

also second for the Iron Tenth

>
There is the 30k short called "The Kaban Project", which is about discovery of an AI by the Mechanicum.
The short is also in HH book 22 "Shadows of Treachery"

And there's also one of the Iron Hands novels, that I believe also ends with a big fight against an AI controlled army (and the engine itself).

So are we gonna be split between people jumping at the chance to make at least mkiv true-scale Marines and those who don't want to see them at all?

I personally really like the look of the basic troop models, but I agree that the assault and and new Terminator thing seem a bit off

I like the very models you dislike. Like I said, I wish they didn't look good so people could hate the concept and didn't buy it.
But it does look good.
Still, those shits are still T4 S4, the only thing they've got is 2W yet they're as big as Custodes, if not a bit bigger. What the fucking fuck, man.
It all comes from the stupid "truescale" meme based on giant Cadian minis compared to marines people thought were 8ft tall based on a wrong scale starting on 1ft instead of from 0.
It's not only a mistake, but worse: it's a mistake endorsed by GW to get the bucks.
And it's going to work so damn well.

We've still got plenty of jobs here in Cali, it's buying a house that's the problem. There are more successful people than there are homes to buy. But I sympathize - I don't think I'd want a bunch of Californians moving in either and changing what's been working for you guys.

I think most examples of that are on Dark Eldar warriors. Look them up - it does work.

I really don't think they look enough like Mk IV for that to work. Only the helmets. And true-scale marines don't really work unless both sides are using them.

OK, I'll stick 'em on the list. Is it just me, or do the Mechanicum steal all the cool battles? Xana, the Silica Animus, Schism of Mars, so on and so forth.
Maybe they should give them a "Forge Wars" book with Mechanicum v. Everyone Else, rather than sticking them into every other book.

cyber robots - are no troops scoring? ever? even in Cybernetica detachment? wtf is the point of the scyllax then?
so robots have to take thralls to score objectives?

Blood Angels with Luna Wolf loyalist detachment
Not sure if I should plan a 30k army without waiting for new Edition of 40k to release or not. Thoughts?

I feel like they have the potential, but it's still not an 'easy' conversion. Once they're released, I think we'll see a small wave of people trying to do 'true-scale MkIV' conversions, realizing it isn't as easy as it sounds and fucking off, while actually dedicated converters figure out a way to make it work right. But only the troops. I really don't see the others being viable for conversions at the moment.

Battle Automata, aka anything with a Cybernetica Cortex, can't score ever.
But Scyllax don't have that. Because they're not Battle Automata. They're more like advanced servitors, they're totally not AIs I swear what do you mean a mere skull isn't enough biological material?

Scyllax aren't automata, so they score. Nothing with a Cybernetica Cortex can score, though. Scyllax are useless because they're overcosted undergunned punching bags that are worse than fucking Thallax, but they do score.

You need Thralls or Thallax to score, yes, because IIRC you can't take Secutarii in a Cybernetica Cohort.

oh wow. so scyllax can be my scorers and stay robo themed? thanks!

Ehh, the only issue I have with assault Marines honestly are the skid things, although seeing the back of the legs may change my mind, and as for the captain, I feel like the torso is too long for what his legs are, but again that could be a perspective thing

I also like the overall build of the primaris though, they look more proportioned which is one thing that the regular marine models always sort of bothered me with

Personally I see the arms, heads, and shoulders pad as being very close to mk IV. The torso need the aquilla filed off, and the legs could use a bit of green stuff or say they're the old style of mk2-4

No conversion is ever easy, but I can see this one being one of the easier ones, assuming you don't go full autist over detail and take some creative liberties, they could look really good

They're expensive, though. But yes.

You can get a start on it with a BaC set. Regardless of what 8th pulls, the stuff in BaC will give you a nice core to work with that'll be useful no matter what while you wait for June. You'll need some Tacticals no matter what, it's hard to go wrong with Terminators (might wanna magnetize their fist arms though), Kheres-Dread is the way to go unless they torch AC rules, and you'll also get two freebie HQs of questionable value (but they're not why you get BaC anyway).

I posted this a few threads back, posting agains:

I think the Primarines are to Guilliman what Custodes are to the Emperor. It explains why they are larger and tougher than normal Astartes, without coming close to the like of actual Custodes. I think one of the trailers said something about the Primarines being geneforged? Rather than having organs altered/added, so more like Custodes than Astartes.

>the only issue I have with assault Marines honestly are the skid things
Stop disliking what I like. I'll post the back, but you won't like it. Because I do like it and I know you won't.
:(

Doubt they will torch the Kheres, its one of the really standout weapons on Contemptors.
>my mk IV marines do 500lbs squats
Bruh they better be doing more than that, Im an unaugmented 'umie and I can push 350lbs on a regular day

I really like that now
Like seriously, I think the seeing the back side makes the model look a lot better

Maybe some one has leaked pictures of that captain?

>It explains why they are larger and tougher than normal Astartes
It's dumb.
Humanity shouldn't be orks.
Besides, like I said their only attribute is having 2W, yet they're as tall as Custodes.
Meanwhile, in 30k we have four squads that have 2W base, and it's not caused by geneseed degeneration. Even if 75% of those squads are from traitors.
Explanations for Primaris, good looking as they may be, are shitty. Cawl either spend 10000 years doing alone what the rest of the mechanicum couldn't do together in the 21st founding, and kept already-trained marines in reserve until Guilliman told him despite not knowing he'd revive, or finished the work after he woke up in a matter of months.
Who is he to forge the next step of the Emperor's work?
Thing is, the only possibly decent explanation is that the mechanicum reunited in secret after the 21st founding and got permission of the Inquisition. Guilliman's involvement in some 10000 year long scheme is most alpharic and ridiculous.

That's the weight they must endure when squatting armoured but without any extra weight. MkIII marines with melonpopping thighs can squat Rhinos.

>Meanwhile, in 30k we have four squads that have 2W base
I agree with your fluff points, but I do expect 2W to be a lot more common in 8th edition 30k. Base termies will probably go to 2W, and the models that currently have that many are likely to go to 3W. There will be more weapons that cause multiple wounds so it should be fine.

Thats the spirit laddie! Fuck I wanna go workout now
The skid things look like shocks honestly; Cawl probably hit a plateau with marine bone strength vs density so the big-marines knees would explode when using a jump pack and landing like classic marines. Completely due to the extra ~4-600lbs of meat and metal they are carrying around.

You know, I wonder how much shit flinging there would have been if among the various cawl improvements had been 'It now works on women'.

>A)
They'd be wearing armour, develop gigantism, get rendered infertile and lose most female atributes
>B)
I like it that way :^)

they have the custodes genetics, as well as primarchs and marines. they're a mix of all of them.

you're whining about things when your in the dark, the emperor instructed them on how to make the w marines and they have Custodes genetics.
also, 1w isn't the only thing that represents how tough a unit is on the table so stop autistically clutching onto it

Which Lords of War do you use, anons? Or what's the composition of the massive deathstar that may as well be one, if you run one of those.
If you don't run any, which would you like to use if you got the chance?

>Which Lords of War do you use, anons?
The well endowed eagle of displeasure of course.

Where does it even remotely say they have Custode genetics.

MAGNUS

Otherwise, the mastadon, but it's so fucking shitty.

Actually I'm disappointed in general at the fuck hueg transport options in the game. Expensive as fuck, fragile, and not great in a fight.

Mastodon, Stormbird, Thunderhawk and such

What the hell does THAT thing do? Because it looks hilarious and I want one to guard my base.

Yeah. Stormbird is decent the turn it alpha strikes with all the missiles, plus it's basically got 75pts of Void Shield Generator built in, so I think it's probably the best of the three, but I wish they wouldn't charge such high weapon cuts for transport cap. The Mastodon is not really that much better armed than the two Spartans you could buy for the cost, and they are more versatile, have the same HP and armour, don't cost you quite as much if someone alphastrikes them down with Hoplites and won't explode the entire 2k deathstar if killed 2/3 of the time.

Has Magnus hit the table yet? He seems like kind of an autowin, honestly, unless he ends up on his own in the middle of the entire enemy army somehow.

Just you wait.

8th is going to incidentally make them insanely powerful.

Marines are already to primarchs what custodes are to emps. Primadonnas are just a bit further along the scale.

Besides +1W a d being bigger, in what ways are Primaris better than marines in the tabletop? Guilliman suddenly has the resources to reinforce several chapters when those haven't been able to return to codex strength for years.
"They're big, so they must have Custodes genes"
t. Fanboys

>Has Magnus hit the table yet?
not yet, due to lack of model.

People are way overhyping him. He's not the instant win buttom people claim him to be. People forget that D doesn't auto AP 1 no save allowed and that novas don't effect things in per model basis, but per unit.

This does mean that there needs to be completely different army comp to fight the TS sons though so if that's your point of contention, then I sympathize.

Magnus is fucked by dudespams and fast bike spams because he's so low in attacks and range dependent to get shit done. The only vehicle that you should bring against him are flyers.

Now, what he does shit on is tank spams, death stars, and msu which are what the common army builds in the game are.

the numarine's basic squads also have fancier guns iirc, some midway between a bolter and a pulse rifle in terms of stats. and going by that I'm guessing the plasma caliver lookin guns and bolter-smgs have improved stats too.

What psychic powers can be cast in melee? Can you just jump him with Levies and pray while wrapping your tanks up so deep in the blobs he can't DS within 18"? That's fairly feasible with the 100 Levy Allied Det.
If he touches my arty squadron or Macrocarid they pretty much instantly die, though, even if the Stormbird can juke and tank to an extent.

You can cast blessing and malediction while in melee. he can jump out and cast but the target selection for that should be...
>wrapping your tanks
Stop bringing tanks!
Again, you are trying to beat paper with rock.

Primaris are cancer and I will call out anyone using them during an HH game.

True scale looks dumb anyways. Especially if your are playing HH when the other player(s) are more then likely to have a mix of MKIII and MKIV marines.

>Stop bringing tanks!
You see, that's the slight problem. I play Ordo Reductor, hordes of chaff wrapping tanks with some elite fast infantry and fire support sprinkled in is what we do. What's the counter, go play Cybernetica instead or just bring nothing but chaff, reserves relays and deepstrike in 18 Gravidons? If the only answer to a thing is "Don't bring the one thing your TAC list has in plenty" I can't really be expected to fight that thing without tailoring like a little bitch, whereas Magnus can be slotted into almost any army and immediately force a complete redesign of a lot of armies to stand a chance.

Their flesh, user. Regular marines can already lug around heavy Bolters. In what ways Primaris genehancements make them better than marines on the tabletop besides +1W? Do they move 7"? I think they have more Ld? Certainly a geneseed trait and not a result of the training they did on the stasis tubes.

oh how silly you will feel.. patience young ones

He stands a chance because people don't play outside of the comfort zones and no one plays white scars. Seriously, chongorian brotherhood is a fucking nightmare against him.

Magnus is a generalist that's for sure, but he's there to fill a hole in the army. TS stuff gets overbloated in cost very easily or you end up skewing so hard that one counter just fucks you up. This is also assuming no perils and believe me, even with Magnus there will be perils if you over do the D.

As I said before. If you think he's OP because you need to build differently then sure, he's OP. If you think he's OP because no one can beat him, then he's not. Most likely the TS player himself will fuck everything up as he falls face flat with a random peril or realize that his army size is half the opponent's and the board is too big to try to occupy the objectives

So do what, stick a Navigator in a blob somewhere and enjoy double perils?

I do see your point about the cost, but to be fair it's not exactly a tax to take Shredding boltguns and Mastery Levels for Divination on a lot of squads, just makes you more elite.

So what does work, outside bikes? Terminators? Battle-Automata? Tarpits? Plasma squads?

Or do you just have to pray for Perils pinning a few units?

>drybrushing marines
I seriously hope you guys don't do this.

That's not entirely accurate; Astartes are humans that have vat-grown organs cloned from Primarch DNA added to them, whereas Custodes are humans altered on a much deeper genetic level, which produces far superior results at the cost of being far more delicate.

I imagine this is why different Legions have different difficulties finding new recruits; the DNA of their Primarch doesn't mesh as reliably with some populations which... would make some sense, I suppose, though I'm no Magos.

>It all comes from the stupid "truescale" meme based on giant Cadian minis
It may have started there but GW only doubled down on that scale. Like some user said last thread!SoS, Chaos Cultists, Genestealer Cultists etc. are fucking massive compared to old Astartes when they're all supposed to be human-sized.

just the faceplate, user

alpha legion best legion

Objectively speaking they're worse than WS, SW, IF, BA, IH, UM, S and RG.

Honestly I'm just hoping that I can use the new plasma guns with regular marine models, mostly since I hate the look of the relatively new FW ones.

I always drybrush my marines, It's the quickest way to get decent edge highlights. If you mess up, you can always neaten the dudes up.

>anything worse than SW
Incorrect.

Mediocre and lazy.

>>anything worse than SW
>Incorrect.
:^)

They might make for fairly interesting Chymeridae Blackshields with some work done to them but otherwise I'd agree overall.

My guys are just Cawl's prototypes. He was alive during the Heresy :^)

these are dry brushed, but its just the white highlights the majority was airbrush and washes. That said its one of the few schemes you can get away with doing so.

I disagree, perfect for tabletop+ levels with minimum effort.

Well, I found a thing. Is this how the Mechanicum fights honour duels? Because I want to be a Malagra now if this is what they do for a living, three minutes of posturing aside..

youtube.com/watch?v=3FpjcOWwiI4

Why? I legit don't understand why you can't drybrush, wash, edge-highlight the odd bit, clean up and then base your models. It looks good, doesn't take an assload of time and you still get all the details. Some colours even make the armour seem worn, which is always a plus.

Black power armour, for example. Prime, drybrush, shade/clean up if you need to, done. You won't win any prizes but you get good tabletop quality.

You can get away with it if you're drybrushing metal on metal or doing a filthy dunked in Agrax DG scheme. Outside of those two exceptions it always looks bad.
>drybrushing marines
>ever getting to tabletop+
Go ahead, I dare you to show me a tabletop+ marine who was highlighted with a drybrush.

Quick, very WIP example. the power armour looks decent enough, just needs some more detail work.

I think it's fine. It's hard to get it to look as good as edge highlighting, especially around curves (which marines have a lot of) but it's better than nothing and at best it can be pretty darn good.

I find that a wash over drybrushing helps cut down the chalky look you often get.

Do you think that's tabletop+? It's passable but that's all it is.

Needs some work on the bolter and hazard stripes, and needs basing, but this is my tabletop-level IW. The rest of the guys are/will be painted to this standard.

What part of "Quick, very WIP example" did you not comprehend?
The armour looks fine but the entire rest of the mini isn't even started, of course it doesn't reach tabletop standard.

Like I said, it works okay for metallic on metallic. Did you read the post?

"Tabletop" has always been a loose concept, and I imagine your dudes look better in different light, but that's an inbetween 3-colour minimum and tabletop in my perception.
Additionally, it's a metal scheme, which doesn't defeat what the other guy was asserting.

Yeah I was talking only about the armour. It's fine I suppose but very chalky and not anywhere near tabletop+.

Can I use Tyranid bits as Megarachnids-themed basing sub?

>Is this how the Mechanicum fights honour duels?
So you don't know about the current wars, huh.
>three minutes of posturing aside..
TO BREAK WITH RITUAL IS TO BREAK WITH FAITH
Any Malagra worth his scrap knows this. They're the Inquisitors of the Mechanicum, fit to make a good roleplay character. Even other Magi fear them.

Some 4 years ago I decided to start a small army of DEldar, and While I never did much with them they looked passable.

To reach my current level I'd have to clean up the armour a bit and finish the gun/cloth, but for a quickish tabletop standard the blue is fine.

>When you nut but she still has 8 canticles of the Omnissiah to go.

That said, there is a colour I'd hesitate to drybrush and it's white. Painted a WE librarian lazily converted from the Red Scorpions librarian some time ago, he came out OK but someday I'll need to finish the weapon and the hand holding it. Maybe fix the rather lazy paintjob supposed to reflect battlemajick.

Also the gold looks weirdly flat in the pic, not sure why - it's highlighted with runefang steel and it's fairly obvious IRL.

Can I get a quick rundown on the Malagra?

I'm going to wash it down before I add decals, the helmet especially is almost grey

Itz really choppy boss.

Y'know, I feel like Blackshields are a real untapped well of potential. Anons, do you have any ideas for Blackshield-specific wargear/special units/consuls/wrought by war traits? Post em here, I'd imagine some people would be interested at the very least.

>Cawl either spend 10000 years doing alone what the rest of the mechanicum couldn't do together in the 21st founding,
To be fair, the Cursed Founding turned out to have been masterminded by Fabius all along.

On the other hand, way to make Fabius look like a chump, GW.

Mech Assassinations and enforces for the ruling power of the forge world. Kitted out for wrecking characters and taking names. There is such little fluff on them though but even the mention of Techno assassin forces got me hard enough to make an army built around the theme. I made mine follow irradiation and melee doctrine rather than electro or haywire, but fuck user this thread is making me want to convert a shooty assassin based on zapping the shit out of things.

So, I have a ton of heavy weapons (10 AC, 6 ML, 6 HB, and 5 LC coming) because I can also use them for 40k as well. The problem is that I remembered I'm playing NL, which while it works really well in 40k, it doesn't mesh terribly well in 30k. Even ignoring the fact that my heavy weapons should never be in combat, I only get the one HS slot in our main RoW.

Is there a way to effectively use them, or should I just take a unit of 10 Autocannons and call it a night?

>tfw going through old models on shelf
>find some metal Sword Brethren models
>think about putting together a Templar Brethren squad to go with my Custodes army
Any ideas how I'd be able to fit them into my existing execution force theme if I did do that?

Dorn sent them with the Custodes to help them execute someone.

What generic RoW do you guys run, and what legions do you run them with? I get a little tired of running Berzerker Assault or Chogorian Brotherhood all the time.

I usually don't run a RoW.
>t. IF who likes infantry

>didn't drill the barrels

WHY

To whoever wanted me to start posting in the thread again, hi.

>inb4 literally everyone runs PotL

Some googling later, fuck to the yes. That's a religious schism that's a tad more interesting than some of the real ones. Now I want a squad of Fulgurite-hoplites to roll with the Magos Reductor.

Hand him the Contagium Mechanica and a Corposant Stave/Chainfist, plus probably another jetpack and a squad of Lgun Thallax. Fly about and burn anything that gets remotely close with the holy Motive Force. Although you already have quite the pack of Hoplites, so perhaps an Axiarch kitted out to lead them?

shredding bolter's only good against massive light infantry blobs. Also it's for vets and sekhmets and divination masteries will cost a lot/corvidae requires standing still.

Massive amount of pie plates in general also work well against the rest of the army. Rule of thumb is that bodies and assault work best against the Sons and trying to beat them in LD.

aircraft in general work good against Sons since it's either Magnus nova bubble or 1 deredeo/mortist dread at best for anti air.

robots are pretty troublesome as is all astartes, but you have to kill the sniper vets asap.

Actually footslogging forces in general with few fast/deep strike elements aren't too bad. Iron fire, deathguard all don't mind being outnumbered since they kill infantry in droves.

Grav/phosphex weapons are really annoying for Sons. Sure they have Amon and Ahriman to deploy as needed, but re-positioning is super hard for the army when obstacles are being shat everywhere and Rhinos are Rhinos. Many TS will not bother with Landraider or Spartan because expensive shit getting more expensive is nightmarish.If they do go the deathstar route, at this point you should have at least 1 unit that can kill a spartan effectively.

My top priority as anti TS would be: aircraft, Terminator killers, and anti infantry/movement disruptors with many boys over toys build style as possible.

Go back to writing sick crackfics about Vivian Darkā€™ness Dementia Raven Way or whatevert the fuck OC Mary Sue's name is.

I missed you, Curzefag

I mostly run a Terror Assault, but I like PotL because it lets me use Termies without clogging up my elite slots, since I use dreads, vets, and termies in TA. My only gripe with PotL is that I can't use my drop pods like I can in TA.

Oh fuck, not this again.

Axis of Dissolution, Pride of the Legion