At first I thought

At first I thought,
"Games Workshop should just call this what it is, it's true scale marines"

The more I thought about it though, the more I decided that it was kind of a cool idea. A new breed of Space Marine, new tech, and so on. Then I heard someone say that (fluff wise) old Space Marines could undergo a procedure to be beefed up into Primaris Marines.

This was brought up after I mentioned that I did not like that some of the Primaris models had red and white helmets because if they are these "new" troops then how could they have gotten the experience already to be considered veterans, or to have been promoted to SGT over those Space Marines which have been fighting for years already. He said "Well they were probably Space Marines which went through the process to become Primaris Space Marines.

Is that going to be a thing? because if so it seems kinda stupid.

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/JumpingTheShark
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes, it's a thing. Yes, it's stupid. All of this new fluff is stupid.

Strongly consider looking into a new game.

In the future all SM will be primaris SM

It was GW's way of changing the old models to new truescale ones without explicitly making the old ones to true scale.

The dragged the manlet marines for too long and now they are forced to subtly change them instead of whiping the old ones out.

Because SMs are what keeps GW running and half the fanbase would go otherwise.

Just look at the nurgle models. Old heresy armor but bigger than regular SM

the powers of chaos can make you a big guy.

For you

good color scheme

For you.

it's so they can sell you new chapter master models, all the named big boy space marine characters will eventually get new $50 primaris bodies

plague marines have always been bloated to the point of being bigger than normal space marines

I unrionically agree actually. Even if it would be a royal bitch to paint.

prime white, airbrush uthuan grey

xerues, gs pink edge highlights

white scar 50/50 uthuan on the shite areas, white scar edge highlight

Moot green with gaus blaster edge highlights

doesn't look that hard honestly

so long as you have an airbrush for that first uthuan coat

You would be able to get some wings from Pupperswar too

What's up with the shark?

Holy shit Carcharodons Jetbikes are finally a reality?

>Plz spoonfeed me
Jumping the shark. Common trope for reaching the point where it's all downhill from there.
>Baited like a champ
Whatever, its late.

Oh

>really?!

I know you're being a faggot, but I love that color scheme, looks great.

Here, I sentence you to tvtropes for your reeducation.
May the God Emperor have mercy on your sleep schedule.
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/JumpingTheShark

It's going to be all good. AoS went good, didn't it?

Thanks, doc.

>gets invaded by the largest chaos force since the heresy era
>galaxy gets torn asunder
>new tech is discovered that could turn the tides of war
>this is stupid
Veeky Forums everyone.

Everywhere but here, just like D&D 5e. Face it folks, we're the cynical tabletop gamer forum. We're necessary, we're unpleasant, and we're not always right, but we at least counter-balance the overly optimistic views of other sites. That's always a good thing, right? Right?

gonna buy em because fuck it. Progression in the lore is a good thing. all my old minis will get cut up/ green stuff added and mixed in so my marines have variable heights. Thats right....A force of marines with various heights. From brother mantlet all the way to brother "Why did you truescale a primaris marine?!"

>and we're not always right
this is a pretty generous statement, considering Veeky Forums is almost never right.

>advocating for tvtropes
kys

Yes, but if I said we were almost always mostly wrong I'd get everyone mad at me, not just most of them.

>When you find a great color scheme for your 3000 points of grey marines that surpasses what you already had in mind from a troll post on Veeky Forums

Thanks user

>>new marry sues pulled out of the ass
>it's not stupid
Matt, please

I-I'm not Matt, YOU'RE MATT. Yeah. I bet you have a fucking Store-Marine statue painted up like an Ultramarine in your bedroom don't you. With posters of every piece of UM art known, and a custom bust of Guilliman next to your shrine to Ultramar.

I don't have any of that. Fuck you. I'm not Matt Ward.

>AoS went good, didn't it?

AoS is a fucking awful dumpster-fire of a game that managed to strike a chord with the casual wargaming market. If all you want to do is push models around a table and roll some dice without having to think too hard, it'll scratch that itch perfectly. Otherwise it falls woefully short.

Go back from whence you came

>I don't have any of that. Fuck you. I'm not Matt Ward.
So you just from Reddit

Anyone want to roll the guys up? I even got a name for them: Star/Space Rangers.

So when are we going to get Primaris Terminators?

Or is Terminator armour now just thinner than it used to be while still being as protective.

I think Gravis armour is the new Terminator.

It's ugly tho.

looks infinitely better than current hunchback termies.

The only problem is the shoulders.

>old Space Marines could undergo a procedure to be beefed up into Primaris Marines.
Fuck they really are planning on a full replacement of old marines

looks more like regular Mk10 but with additional plating

Warhammer fantasy fan here, sorry to hear you guys are getting the age of sigmar treatment too. Remember that the universe you love was never real, and now exists as it always has; in your minds and hearts

that's cool and all but nobody is mad about 8th edition, they are only mad about bigmarines.

It is a thing because it will sell, not because it is good in any way, shape or form. I am in the same boat as .

Is Malifaux any good these days?

>but nobody is mad about 8th edition,
Except people who loves game, not interactive dioramas

What game. 7th Ed is not a game. It's a model catalogue followed by a flowchart to see who wins. No need to set up models, there is no actual player involvement.

>implying there has been a 40k game since 3rd edition

>7th Ed is not a game.
Agree and why do you think 12 pages for 60$ from the same guys will be better?

>You don't want to be in the way when my Melta goes off.

>because if they are these "new" troops then how could they have gotten the experience already

bro, when you are going to open the rulebook, the fluff will be 200 years in the future and it will be stated that primaris are already a super force and that all chapters even the most reluctant, accepted them DECADES ago.

they are only "new" for you

So it's like WFB, but without the tedium in other words. With the added bonus that all the try-hards went to 9th age or x-wing so the playerbase is far less neckbeardy than before.

It can't be fucking worse, that's for sure. Parcheesi is an improvement over the current ruleset.

>"Games Workshop should just call this what it is, it's true scale marines"

True scale? Not bloody likely mate. GW has had a bad case of scale creep for ages. This is just the next step along that path. The guardsmen and guardians and whatnot are gonna end up this size too one day. At best GW might manage to keep the regular marines, if they stick around at all, smaller than these guys, simply so the designated cool face of the brand guys can remain bigger (yes, it's all about size, the imperial knights are here for the same reason wWrmachine got their colossals, every kdi wants to be the one with the biggest toy) than the old washups.

The fluff simply exists as an excuse for the models to exist.

>It can't be fucking worse, that's for sure.
It can be look:
- Doubleturns system
- Morale system
- More Special Rules

I'll take a massive upper frame over this one's weird beer belly stance.

>With the added bonus that all the try-hards went
They didn't, now they playing Sylvaneths, sigmarines and Tzeench
>is far less neckbeardy than before.
Yeah, redditos is such a good audience

For your chapter master you should track down one of those six inch marine display models

>Doubleturns system
Not in 8th

Slowly but surely. Every special character will See Reason and undergo Primaris treatment and get a brand new model, there will be Primaris versions of all the current range...and then they'll stop producing the current range's miniatures.
But it means that, eventually, there will just be rules for Space Marines and the current ones will simply be old models. All new marines are Primaris. All marine statlines are Primaris. Those shorter marines? They're veterans of a hundred battles, now, so they're just as good as a Primaris so get the same stats.
It's brilliant, really. They get to make truescale marines who are also bigger deals AND without having to redo the entire model range all at once, while having a reason for people to buy the new models (because they're a business) all while having an endgame of 'you can still use your old dudes'.

>I don't know what a mary sue is

>Progression in the lore is a good thing.

A quick look at things like Warhammer's end times and GW's little Horus Heresy bit and it's quite obvious that GW sure as hell shouldn't try any progression, because they have a pathological inability to progress in any direction other than down the port-a-potty. They could hammer AD2000 and Elric/Dune together into a reasonable setting, but they sure as hell don't have anyone around at the moment who can do characters and storylines.

I'll leave it an open question whether any wargame like this benefits from a progressing narrative, but the Battletech bunch seldom seems terribly happy about where theirs went, and Warmahordes appears to have settled for a lot of loud noises and buildup which then somehow always leads to nothing really changing.

"doubleturn" is something that exists in so many games it's amazing GW players never heard of it. I had to think hard to remember a game I play that doesn't have initiative rolls every game turn.

Turns out Gathering Storm was 40k's End Times after all.

The 40k universe wasn't destroyed at the end, but it was fundamentally changed beyond recognition. The setting/aesthetic is ruined. Now we have super duper marines in futuretech tacticool armor. I'm sure we'll soon have mega space orruks and super duper chaos marines (thanks to the warp fuckery) too.

Still looking forward to the new rules though. I'll keep playing my old marine army, having faith they will never be unsupported just like how GW said I could keep playing my Tomb Kings army. I trust them.

Much like the fantasy changes (elf to aelfinn or w/e) it's primarily being done so GW has an easier time with copyright in court.

Wait, if we accept the premise that Veeky Forums is almost all ways wrong, and that statement was made on Veeky Forums, doesn't that make it so there is a good chance that statement was wrong thereby making Veeky Forums almost always right?

The core rules are free you dumb dumb.
Now the rules+fluff+subsidiary rules? That's another story.

>doubleturn" is something that exists in so many games
Yes and almost always it's shit mechanic.

So are csm just going to be trashies now lore wise? Since they shouldnt really have primaris.

Yep.

It's way better than losing initiative on turn 1 and being stuck as 2nd player for the whole game.

Sluggish poses

Toy Story is my favorite movie, and I fully plan on making these.

Yeah because everyone hates hose people who use "high risk-high value" tactics

Guess my smol traitors are gonna get beaten up by a bunch of big-marines till chaos gets their own.

People like you sound like very bad players.

A double turn is neither good nor bad

>A double turn is neither good nor bad
It's bad because it's nothing but a pure random, which forces you to play safest way as it possible

>The only problem is the shoulders.
pauldron fetishist detected

>we're getting End Times'd!
Guys, it's new models for Marines, with a decent explaination on how and why, not 'Chaos win all their battles easily, and the BBEG destroys the universe. THE END'

this

>Not setting up lure in advance

How does this differ if you're always 2nd player? You have to play more carefully than 1st player and you can never hope to change it.

Oh shit, that colour scheme really is dope as fuck. Now I know what to do with my Primarines when I get the box. I'll call them "Rangers of the Eastern Fringe".

it's more predictacle so it's easier to plan for it. Also, the chances your opponent moves/shoots twice as much is 0.

I ain't played since 4th edition. Are generic Marines 5 to a box now?

No. Quit being a little Shit.

Your whining is funny

No. Still 10.

Right on.

You take that back. Bulldogs 4 life

>Adeptus Buzz Astrates
>Chapter Name: Space Rangers
>Battlecry: To Infinity and Beyond!
>Speciality: Jump Packs/Flight

And on this day, traitor legions had put down their weapons. They may have worshiped dark gods of Chaos, but nothing could make them shoot the hero of the favorite movie of their youth.

Why wouldn't they plan the process to be one they could also use on current Space Marines? I mean, it would be pretty stupid to not be able to give your most experienced soldiers every possible advantage, and they're already in peak physical condition and proven loyal by this point.

>he made them from scratch in a few years in his basement
Whoever was using their account to write that should be fucking fired on the spot.

grow a sense of humor

better than you sad fucks

nah man original termies are the tits.

>Guys, it's new models for Marines,
It's new army

Then why you aren't going back?

>mormur annolux is chapter master of the space custos

>new fluff is stupid
>but old fluff isn't
Hahaha lol are we talking about the 40k setting? Because it was always stupid.

The old fluff was never "good" as much as it was just more entertaining and ripped off much better source material.

Normally, there are mechanics in place to avoid the "napoleonic" feel that 40k has.

>>drumbeat MOVE
>>AIM
>>FIRE!!!
>>CHAAAAAARGE!!!

That's an ancient mechanic

Bolt action has a bag with tokens from both armies that you pull from to find out who activates next.

Guild Ball has alternative activations. I move a mini, then you move a mini.

Infinity has the ARO reaction system to keep the reactive player in the game.

I actually did this one, fluffed up a Star Rangers chapter. They were Ultramarines successors and mostly codex adherent, fleet based, response chapter.

Buzz Lightyear lead first company, Rocket Crockett lead a fast attack oriented company. Their chapter master had an artificer cyber-leg with a plasma cannon in it.

The cartoon was a good source of fluff and characters.

Gravis is the new Artificer armor.

We haven't seen primaris termis yet.