EDH/Commander General

Hungry Gremlin Attempts To Eat Commander Staple Edition

Previously: >Commander 2017
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-commander-2017-edition-2017-04-18

>MTGO Banlist Latest Update
wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/160343614814/update-mtgo-commander

>Latest Commander Ban Announcement
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18588

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread Question:
Are there cards you include in absolutely every single deck you build? What are they and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

mtg.gamepedia.com/Wasitora
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sen-triples-2/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jarad-lord-of-budget-1/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

All my decks have different color identity but any blue deck i have runs swan song. Also, is this my new Rogue tribal commander just needs a few cards to be shipped.

Sol Ring, because it's fast mana but not as gay as Mana Crypt.

I only run green decks and I always run Cultivate/Kodama's Reach. Ramps mana, maintains hand size, deck thins, helps find colors you need.

>Cards that you always include

Command Tower, Sol Ring, Cultivate/Kodama's Reach, Counterspell, Rites of Flourishing

>Are there cards you include in absolutely every single deck you build? What are they and why?
All Decks: Sol Ring
All Multicolor Decks: Command Tower. In monocolor a basic is better.

Nothing else really jumps out as a 100% include under common conditions.

It's gonna be kinda weird having two Tribal decks of the same tribe.

If it has access to red, it gets Vicious Shadows and Blasphemous Act no matter what.

>Staples
Urborg + Cabal Coffres
Eternal witness
Command tower
Crop rotation
Maze of ith
Diabolic tutor
Jace, Vryn's Prodigy

That's dumb and gay

Are those official or what, they're not on MythicSpoiler

They're original artwork and if you look at the other pictures it says it's by an artist with a very similar style.

>they're not on MythicSpoiler
they are though

What's would be the best ramp for this?
I already have:
Somberwald Sage
Sol Ring
Chromatic Lantern
Skyshroud Claim/Explosive Vegetation
Cultivate
Kodama's Reach
Nature's Lore/Farseek/Rampant Growth
Dragonlord's Servant
Urza's Incubator
Dragonspeaker Shaman
Selvala, Heart of the Wilds
Shaman of Forgotten Ways
Thran Dynamo
Gilded Lotus

anyone else just hate this card?

>Are there cards you include in absolutely every single deck you build? What are they and why?
the only one i put in every deck is sol ring but i definitely put cards in if im using certain colors

Ye I just checked new spoilers sections, they are indeed. On Salvation there's a thread with some spoilers as well, there's reprints of the FRF dragons in the dragon deck.

Not as much as I hate O-Kagachi.

O-Kagachi is lame as hell, it doesn't do him justice. What's up with WotC making the shittiest cards for the most interesting characters?

that one is ok, seems like a decent general that is just there to give you the colors you need with occasional uses which i personally think all 5 color commanders should be

What are your predictions for the other commander 2017 tribals?
Mine are:
Red - Dwarves
Green/White/Black - Humans
Blue/Black - Faeries, Rogues

I normally play decks with at least a splash of red, so Mana Geyser is almost always an auto include.

Mots underrated EDH card imho

No way for dwarves, but faeries and humans seem likely. Do we have an idea on what the colors will be? My hopes are for either WBR Warriors or WUB Spirits.

>wish for a legal 5c kamigawa commander for the longest time
>finally get one
>it's a pile of vomit
MONKEY PAW NOOOOOOO

Sensei's Divining Top

It will be a sad day when it gets banned in the format.

5c commanders are cancer

I hope the 3 spoiled cards are from the same "tribe"

>cat dragon

i keked pretty hard when i saw all the dragon spoilers because i already have most of them in my scion deck. this big daddyo seems like a decent trick to pull out with scion (and garbage in the command zone).
then again my scion deck already has way too many dragons to function in a vancouver mulligan world.

>5c commanders are cancer
I like Reaper King and Horde of Notions, Alara baby is okay, I don't like playing Slivers and Tazri is cancer. O-Kagachi is literally a worse commander for a Kamigawa deck than Karona. Bottom up (or rather "up the arse") design at its worst.

mtg.gamepedia.com/Wasitora
She's definitely a dragon. Seems like they might be doing the thing they did with the original commander set by having 2 new legendaries in the decks colors, 1 old one (probably Scion for the dragon deck), and 1 additional new legendary that's only a couple of the colors.

>garbage in the command zone
I don't get why people are jumping to this conclusion. As a dragon tribal commander I can see a lot of potential just for his discounted dragons.

>Bottom up (or rather "up the arse") design at its worst.
He's actually clearly top down resulting in terrible mechanics (which, in a way, is fitting for the boss of Kamigawa). He retaliates against slights with exile-y brutality referencing his story role and his one previous card appearance on Final Judgment, and he's not indestructible because That Which Was Taken was his fucking divinity counter and Konda swiped it.

Would you say Tazri is cancer even if you don't play FC?

Well I'm pissed off about Wizards being so heavily fixated about ETB effects in the last couple of blocks (which is what Allies are entirely about) and printing very few hard answers to them, so yes.

Yes, tutor commanders are all powerful but cancerous.

I posted this yesterday and no one said anything. Can I get some feedback on this deck?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sen-triples-2/

This. Just make the deck RG focused with the other colors splashed for support. Then do a curve built around ramp/discount effects and spamming dragons.
It doesn't have the crazy combo potential that Scion does, but if you wanna play dragon tribal, you can do so competently without getting hated out

the absolute madmen :3

It's a bit of a "Luedvic" situation, where the card doesn't really reflect how powerful the creature should be. If I remember correctly, when O-Kagachi appeared in the material side of the plane during the story its presence began to tear Kamigawa apart. This is its card to appear in Kamigawa because otherwise it would have too powerful as a creature. In addition it was able to protect the plane from Old Walkers.

Atleast they remembered the exiling part.

It's not quite Ludevic because part of the problem with Ludevic is not just that he fails to hit the power level, but that he doesn't even do anything we would expect Ludevic to do. O-Kagachi does his stuff poorly but at least he does his stuff (being revenge and exiling). Would it have been great to get a big spirit boss who could Sneak Attack things at your opponent (See: Through the Breach), tearing the veil assunder and letting lose a ceaseless army like some commander-friendly version of Spawnsire? Yeah, but what we got isn't as far from the mark as Ludevic.

i did not play during kamigawa so i dont remember anything

You're right, the two aren't that comparable. They were more playing it safe.

O-Kagachi should be atleast an 8/8 and more like the like Miyojin it has a divinity counter when you play it, then you can remove that counter for an effect, like Exiling all other Creatures.

A Sneak Attack effect with spirits would be pretty cool too since it would have synergy with Soulshift as well as have synergy with expensive dragons...
Now I'm sad thinking about what could have been.

Cast value for days.

That seems really cool!

>giving us a Monk tribal commander in a dragon tribal deck
Those sneaky little shits. I like it, but I wish it was Jeskai.

Shut up about Jeskai if you don't want the dragonlords fucking your shit up. It's Ojutai now.

>meme commander
No thanks.

I think my favorite part is how he is worded so he only needs to attack for them to gain rebound, not do combat damage.

WHY THE FUCK IS IT NOT JESKAI REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

MANA MEMES

Because Ojutai and fucked up timeline

progenitus here we come

Damn that's spicy

There is no Jeskai anymore. Bolas's attempted killing of Ugin leading to Sarkhan's unintentional time fuckery led to that.

>satisfy stupidly easy requirement
>cast PRO FUCKING GENITUS

wew lad

>Use it's ability to cast the Ur-Dragon
>Immediately get all the counters back to cast it again

>all these unplayably weak legends for dragon tribal
>the one i would actually want to play isn't fucking red
I hate wotc

Jeskai-timeline Taigam was a traitor little shit who worked for the Sultai.

Anyway,
>UW spellslinger
Here we goooooo

And SHIT it's a legend! How many legends we got so far only from the dragon deck? Spicy af.

And five mana

>giving a shit about story in a commander precon

That is some spicy bullshit
Like, the spiciest of bullshit

>not giving a shit about story in a commander precon
Just think about Atraxa that gave us a much needed update on what shenanigans are happening on New Phyrexia

Also that Ramos is related to the Mercadian Masques' Ramos?

>Ramos
And they made him actually good? This makes up for O-Kagachi being bland

Sarkhan decided to doom millions to nonexistence because he was butthurt about a lack of dragons

Yup, they're going deep with all this lore.

This can't be fucking real.

They are the same. That Ramos was a robot dragon the whole time.

>How many legends we got so far only from the dragon deck?
Five. Three 5c Commanders (Ur, Ramos, O-Kagachi) and two that together add up to 5c (Taigam and the Kitty dragon)

If O-Kagachi had "At the beginning of your combat step, if an opponent attacked you during their last turn, you may cast O-Kagachi from your command zone for WBRUG tapped and attacking that player."

Along with the exiling of a nonland permanent.

Would you think it was good enough then? Gets around commander tax and comes in swinging.

why aren't you on R&D

Yeah, that would be pretty awesome. Though really I'd take the exile being an attack trigger rather than a damage trigger so that you couldn't escape so easily.

Because I'm an unknown 26 year old genius who threw his life away by impregnating a beautiful 18 year old at the age of 20.

If someone wants to give me a job I'm all in thanks in advance

"Knowledge is cruel. It will break your heart and test your allegiances. Are you certain you want this curse? ... So now you know. What will you do with this knowledge?"

Come on baby, I need a minute between rounds.

>The Ur-Dragon
Spicy and flavorful, I like it. The passive effect is decent, but I doubt he will ever be cast due to being 9CMC

>Taigam
Wasn't this guy some evil dude in the story? I forgot. Either way he's my favorite of the entire leak so far.

>Kamigawa dude
hot steaming pile of shit

>Cat dragon
Not bad but kind of boring

>Ramos
door to nothingness+progenitus.dec

With that being said, what do you think the other tribes will be? I'm glad they are not all dragons and actually doing other tribes, which I suspect every list will have

This is fucking disgusting. Why do they make shit that's so blatantly fucking ridiculous?

>doesn't have to connect

I can see humans or zombies. I'm really hoping we get a WB Knight with that.

I'm getting real sick of them shoving so many Tarkir people into everything Commander.
For fuck sake, in the 4c ones 5 of the Partners (of 15) were Tarkir, and even one of the 5 decks had ONLY Tarkir Partners.

I'm hoping for Knight tribal specifically with maybe some Human and Soldier splashed in.

Am I missing anything for my Jarad deck? I wanted to make a cheap fun second edh deck

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/jarad-lord-of-budget-1/

What about Soldier Tribal with support for Knights and Samurai?

Where are you getting five?

Ikra, Isahai, Reyhan, and Vial are Tarkir. By comparison, Tymna, Thrasios, Ravos, and Kydele are all from Theros, which is the same count.

Akri and Bruse are Zendikar
Ludevic and Kraum are Innistrad

Sidar (Dominaria), Silas (Alara), and Tana (???) are alone

The two partners of a given enemy color are both from the same plane. Tarkir has a pair and two of the allied, Theros has two pairs. Nu Timeline Tarkir is shit though

If they're all 5 color decks:
Slivers, Humans, Elementals

If they're colors that make sense for the tribes, and the typical tribes Wizards is likely to go with:
Any 3 of: Elves (G or BG), Merfolk (U), Goblins (R, RG, BR, Jund), Zombies (B, UB, Esper), Wizards (U or UR)

If they're colors that make sense for the tribes and not those above (as in I actually want this section to be real):
Angels (W or WBR), Knights (WBR), Sphinx (U or Esper)

So far into the realm of impossibility it'll literally never happen but that doesn't stop me from wanting it anyway:
Fox (W), Hound (W or GW)

Ah, right, I had the count confused a little.
It's 5 from Theros and 4 from Tarkir.
Still, between the 4c decks and this year so far, I'm getting real sick of them sticking to already well known places for new cards, especially when supplements are the only chance there is for older lore characters to get cards. (ex. Sidar)

>what do you think the other tribes will be?
I'm still betting that we get Abzan Elves and Jund Goblins since they're in painful need of good tribal commanders. I'd say Mardu Angels for the last but they already have Kaalia for that. Esper or Jeskai Artificers would be cool, as would Izzet or Grixis Pirates, but they're extremely outside possibilities.

>cycle Decree of Savagery
>get Progenitus

I feel you but frankly I'll take Taigam for O-Kagachi, Ur Dragon, Wasitroa and Ramos. Especially the last two, who I would have thought utterly forgotten.

wait it only places four counters. reading is hard

Just play Hardened Scales (and every other +1/+1 doubler)

We're getting Dominaria, Kamigawa, and fucking Mercadia of all places. Expect some weird stuff this time.

Thrasios Landfall deck...

Do I go Vial Smasher for black and red, or do I go Bruse for white and red?

>they'll still ignore Lorwyn because we're not allowed to have fun art

The answer is always Vial Smasher.

>yfw one of the tribes is fairies and oona gets a new card

How many opponents do you expect? If the answer is greater than 1, give Vial a pass.

I'd be very okay with that. I love Oona, but she's way more geared for combo than faerie tribal

4 counters + 1 from Ramos' ability, you get 5 total and can get that sweet Progenitus