Faction Focus: Orks

Da boyz are back in town, ya git!

warhammer-community.com/2017/05/25/warhammer-40000-faction-focus-orks/

WAAAAAGH!!!

A lot of little teasers, and everything is pretty good. Theres a reason to not take the power claw now, as it most definitely will be getting a -1 to hit. Choppas granting bonus attacks keeps boyz at the same attack value which is good. Taking saves against basic guns doesnt seem like much but its incredible. Morale being based on your unit size is great for a change to mob rule. Even if the warboss krumps a couple goons in place of 10-20.

Meganobs will be amazing (if a little slow) 2+ armor with 3 wounds at T4 is more than you can ever ask for.

Lastly, the removal of the initiative stat and WS is paramount to success for orks, who suffered at I2 and relatively poor WS. Now youre guaranteed to be hitting on 4's with boyz minimum, and at least 3's everywhere else.

Thats not even counting your vehicle weapons like deff rollas, wrecking balls, killa kan and deff dred killsaws, etc.

Its all looking up for orks. Only thing holding you back could be movement 5", but thats to be expected.

Orks stack on Orks stack on Orks now. Their gambit is basically playing the bonus stacking game in order to overwhelm their opponents.

This is... actually pretty accurate. All these bonuses are basically a WAAAGH! Fucking with local physics in their favor.

But will they be able to approach in melee?!

If their entire force gets to charge from advancing a la genestealers, and get a reroll on charge range without using a command point, AND be able to tellyport a mob of 30 boyz turn 1, it should be fine.

>gets to charge from advancing
Need a warboss for that, but it's doable.
>a reroll on charge range
'Ere We Go's been buffed to do exactly that - reroll both dice instead of just one.
>tellyport a mob of 30 boyz turn 1
Uh... No word on tellyportaz, but Weirdboyz still have Da Jump, so that's doable too.

So yeah, it should be fine.

>Forgeworld units and knights are op
>drop a maxed out squad of klaw nobs 9 inches away from one then use waagh aura to get them 3 inches away for assault
>this kills everything in close combat other than super defensive shit like Shield Lychguard

>'Ere We Go's been buffed to do exactly that - reroll both dice instead of just one.

Isn't that more of a sidegrade?

>For example, you roll a 6 and 1
Rerolling the 1 if you can reroll a single dice is a no brainer, but if you have to reroll both it's not an easy answer

But of course if you roll something like double 1's it's better to be able to reroll both.

If you're 8 inches away, it will give you better than average odds to get there

even with the slow movement you still have rerolls for charges and trukks are sure to be one of the fastest transports.
actually getting into combat shouldn't be to hard.

you won't be able to advance after teleporting.
advancing is now done in the movement phase. but you want teleport them until the psychic phase.

still with the rerolls a 9 inch charge is reliable enough.

In all seriousness, why don't orks have tellyportaz by now?

Make them a fortification, or battlewagon upgrade that lets a unit that stands on the tellyporta able to deep strike to elsewhere on the board, with the drawback of a much more orky mishap table. Have some orks come out the other side as squigs, or daemons, or have an entirely different ork unit pop out as orks from another tellyporta entirely get sent to the wrong place.

I dunno, I'm just spitballing here.

'Guess who just got back today....'

Glad to see green is once again mean.

Have we heard about 'crons yet?

Them wild eyed boyz that'd been away?

>melee race
>S3

But STR3 now wounds T5 on 5+. Try `arder.

This. S3 isn't as much of a problem anymore with the new wound table.

Basically your little shoot, is going to wound things on 3s 4s and 5s much more than before.

I do hope that we have a way to pump up boys to STR4 though - be it some melee weapon or furious charge

>have an entirely different ork unit pop out as orks from another tellyporta entirely get sent to the wrong place.

That's a brilliant idea and one of the most orky things I've ever read.

>No more challenges

Why wasnt this in chaos faction focus, this is huge

Ity has previously been mentioned. cant recall where, but we knew this

Big Choppas are +2 Str, though they lose the +1 attack basic choppas give.

Yeah, it's something my SOB are a bit hopeful about after multiple editions trying to pretend Celestians and Seraphim are somehow melee troops just becuase they had WS4.

yeah i love it too.

could be done simple enough as well as a sort of summoning.

if the relevant result comes up you have to deepstrike a different unit up to the points value of the lost one.

Seraphim can do what they've done in fluff furnaces finally, which is Equilibrium.

Pretty sure they won't force you to reroll both. Most of the time with a rule like that it says you "MAY" reroll one or both dice.

Granted we didn't get that clarification in the article but it wouldn't surprise me.

>throw unit of grots into tellyporta
>roll 12 on table
>accidentally'd a unit of meganobz instead

FUND IT

>Make them a fortification
BOOORIIING

If da orkz have to get a tellyporta I want it to be shaped like a huge gnashing mechanical jaw spewing lightings and boyz mounted on a platform with legs and treads

Nah, I think it'd be like you can put another ork unit on the field but it's price should be equal or lower to the woops-tellyported unit.

So grots would give you like a few meganobs at most

I'd probably be a table with one of the "Good" results giving you something more expensive and one of the "Bad" results giving you something worse. Maybe an Orkimedes character that has you roll 3d6 for one and has an extended table

GW release killa kan profiles already. We can assume that deff dreads are similiar to regular dreads, but not too sure on kans

I imagine in the new rules they'll be more like superheavy infantry than dreads. S, T and W will be about 6 is my guess, 6 or less wounds so they can be oneshot by lascannons and co, with a medium to crappy save (maybe 4+?). So they'll be hard as nails to kill with infantry kit but get ripped up pretty hard by any real antitank.

M4" Ws5+ Bs5+ S3 T4 W1 Ld- Sv6+
is my prediction, i'd love if boyz had 4+ ws tho

(You)

Pff, boyz will be hitting on 4+, nobs on 3+. Even with my pessimism I'm 95% sure of it

welp i guess i went a little overboard, but M4" is what boyz have in 2nd/SWA. Bs5+/S3/T4 is classic and Ld will be either very low or entirely dependent on the size of an unit.
Ws5+ is kinda bulling, i hope they won't have retarded idea like that. Also they might get a price drop too, which is meh at best

>100% dependent on the size of an unit
fixed

The fair stat would be WS3+ to match space marines (like they do now) but is probably right, I can definitely see orks being nerfed to WS4+.

I like the sound of morale changes, but I'm a bit disappointed that there still looks to be only two melee weapon upgrade options for orkz. Big choppas and power klawz. We could have cybork arms and power axes without any sprue changes necessary.

Boyz do have WS4 in 7ed, same as space marines, but I could understand them getting nerfed to WS 4+. If that went along wiht 3 attacks base and S4 though, it'd be fully worth it.
Who knows, we might even get furious charge back. Khorne berserkers get two attack phases, it's not out of the question. It'd probably be slugga boys only.

I think shoota boyz becoming a separate unit again would be good for them, means shoota boyz can go back to being the same cost as slugga boyz with the trade off being no furious charge.

should Shootaboyz keep their choppaz then?

No, but hol up this may be a scary prospect.
They should shoot better
but also
have rapid fire shootas with an upgrade to be assault

>Rapid fire weapon
>Implying any true ork would fire less shots just because he's at long range.

Shut it, ya git.

I'm literally just copying concepts from the best ork codex.

They weren't true orks if they had that attitude. Assault should be everywhere, unless it's so ridiculously big it's forced to be a heavy.

If you really want rapid fire though, I'd say put it the other way around, make assault the default, with slightly shootier rapid fire versions as the upgrade.

Well to be fair, shootas were shit then, especially after the change to rapid fire. They errata'd shootas up to 24" range but you were still looking at 2 shots within 12" at 5+/4+ vs MEQ when you could simply charge in for 3 attacks at 4+/5+.

I think with how rapid fire works today shootas would be much more viable with it as the base. With that, looking at kharadron overlords release for AoS I quite like how the khemists can increase the shots of weaponry by 1 as an ability - Big Meks being able to do that with a mek tools upgrade would be much better for rapid fire than it would be for assault weapons.

24" Rapid Fire 1 or 18" Assault 2?

Or 18" Rapid Fire 2?

>18" Rapid Fire 2
breh

Not gonna lie was kinda hoping for the DoW3 trukk ability to fling Orkz into close combat as a range attack. The game has some great Orky ideas.

Do you boyz think Deff Dreadz could be any good this edition? I'm thinking about picking up the bits to make another one.

I hope that they'll give `ere we go to walkers

That sort of existed in previous editions. May be back yet, who knows.

Damn did it really? I was a marines player back in 4th and early 5th before I quit and I kinda want to get into Orkz now for the Mad Max feel. An ability like that would have me sold 100 percent.

If your trukk was to explode in 4th it had a chance of shooting forward 3d6" before exploding (at S3) and booting the boyz out. May have been a temperamental way of having a trukk fling boyz forward but if you pulled it off it was hilarious, especially if the explosion took some enemy models nearby too.