What's the best system for it?

Pic-related, I've recently been playing through New Vegas and I want to run a game set in sort of a similar universe, with similar themes and such. I know there are other games that kind of fit but I can't recall the names as of right now. Anybody got suggestions? The system doesn't have to be a 100% perfect mechanical recreation, but I'd prefer a game erring more on the simpler side. Thanks in advance Veeky Forums.

Considering fallout was based off GURPS and there is a fallout expansion online that would be the best place to start

JE Sawyer made a tabletop system for fallout. It's literally called JE Sawyer's Tabletop Fallout RPG or something.

Its pretty bad. We had a player with a bat that did more than an anti tank rifle on hit. Its a direct adaption from the game.

I ran a fun GURPS Fallout campaign a couple of years ago. A group of Brotherhood Knights and Scribes going about the wasteland.

Some people hate GURPS, but it does guns better than any other RPG out there.

If you lurk enough in TG, especially in the PDF share threads, you may find a copy of GURPS Fallout. It was done by Gluttoncreeper games before Bethesda fucked them in the ass with a big rubber dick.

Use any system you like, have fun.

GURPS with After the End 1 & 2. That's everything you need.

I ran a Fallout game a while ago using a modified Cyberpunk2020.

It went well, but I really didn't enforce character role diversity as much as I should have - two players made combat characters, stumbled upon the massive flaw in CP2020, and then just proceeded to headshot everything to death, regardless of armor

>Cool, I pop the raider in the grape
>he's got a bike helmet with a reinforced steel faceguard - at the range and facing, your bullet is just going to glance off the bike helmet, and you don't have armor piercing to get through the plate
>I pop him in the eyeslit
>thats a fucking impossibly small target at this distance, but sure, go for it, your looking at a -12 penalty on your roll
>player proceeds to roll 10 after 10 after 10 on the dice.
>would be a great story if he didn't do this over and over and over again...

In my opinion, use a system like Aces & Eights

But it's almost literal transfer of video game mechanics into tabletop. I ran a campaign in it and it doesn't really work too well.

How is a player's lucky streak a systemic flaw?

Cyberpunk 2020 has many massive flaws, user, but player luck isn't one of them.

I didn't explain it, but if you have any experience with CP2020, you already know what it is.

CP2020 runs off a "1d10+attr+skill level" roll vs a TN. However, the TN's aren't incredibly high, and its very easy to get your skills and attr's high enough that you never fail. I mentioned the headshot issue because the two combat characters couldn't roll less then a 15 on their skill, and would routinely succeed even TN 20's or 25's. They trivialized combat, and weren't idiots in how they went about combat either - they used cover, suppressing fire, struck at night, or put the sun behind them if they had to fight during the day. They choose campsites with a small number of approaches, then mined those approaches. One player had a bow and he made his own arrows, while the other had a lever action .45-70 that did a fair job of killing people.

This was, of course, all in response to how hyper lethal CP2020 is, and how rare I made ammunition - they loopholed ammo rarity by going for headshots EVERY time and never missing. It may seem like they were just playing smart, but as a GM, there was no way I could figure to challenge them, and they got bored of the game being combat gods - worse, the other players got bored since there was less they could do, one being a mechanic who did all the gear maintenance, and the other being a roving gambler party face who most often just sold loot because he wasn't proactive in interacting with NPC's

>the massive flaw in CP2020
>player proceeds to roll 10 after 10 after 10 on the dice.

The other major flaw with CP2020 and Interlock in general is REF is pretty much the godstat.

I'd suggest Savage Worlds, OP. Fuck GURPS or the direct translation of the computer game.

Why fuck GURPS?

OP asked for something that was simple, not Bookkeeping Simulator 2008. Savage Worlds fits that far better.

>something that was simple, not Bookkeeping Simulator 2008
Like GURPS, when it isn't run by an idiot.

What exactly do you bookkeep when you play GURPS? I'm always curious to hear how people run the system, because everybody runs it differently. Of course, that's to be expected, as it's a generic, universal, modular system that can accomodate many styles of play.

>the basic rules have a table for how fast you can climb a fucking rope, in feet per three seconds
>the basic fucking rules
Ultra-lite is the only version of GURPS that hasn't made me want to vomit

Savage Worlds is a universal modular system too, with far less crunch to wade through.

>the basic rules have a table for how fast you can climb a fucking rope, in feet per three seconds
It's important to know how fast you can climb a rope, friend. Nobody's forcing you to use them, either. You could just use the rules from Clinging and say you climb at half your basic move, or go in between them and say it's one yard per second.

>Savage Worlds is a universal modular system too, with far less crunch to wade through.
I wouldn't call it generic, though, since it's geared towards the pulp genre. Less crunch isn't always a good thing, either. Shotguns are an infamous example, considering how good a +2 bonus is in Savage Worlds, and magic is very underwhelming. I do like Savage Worlds, though, but it isn't my favorite.

Yes, and? You understand the concept of not having to use everything in the book, right?

>wouldn't call it generic
Shotguns have been fixed since East Texas University came out, and there's lots of optional rules to skew things towards a darker or more over-the-top approach. It's as generic as most, especially if you adjust bennies to suit your needs too.

>throwing out bits of what's supposed to be the absolute basics of the system is meant to be acceptable

Is this literally all GURPSfags have for an argument, saying "oh you can chop up the system to suit your needs"? I can do that with a system that makes doing so far easier from the start. I hate the initiative system Savage Worlds has so I rip that shit out and use a d12, but everything else is golden and only needs minor tweaks.

>the absolute basics of the system
But it's not, nigger. It's not in Basic Set 1, and it's not in Lite. Basic Set 2 is entirely optional.

Smallest TN for shooting is 15. Add a few penalties for called shot, small target, evading or moving target, maybe negative WA due to the rifle being old and beat up, and finally maybe a penalty for shooting on the move, and you'll end up with a pretty high TN.

Ok, its not finished but go ahead and use this. I need more feedback on the base system.

>inb4 shill
Well, obviously

>Opening with twelve pages of fluff
Skipped.

>Skills
Are these attributes and skills, or skills and specialties, or what? Why does language explain skills before the rules do? Do you seriously need six levels of granularity between skills? Is this a game for linguists, or is none/broken/accented/native somehow missing important details for your game when you already list 0/1/3/6 as noticeable breakpoints?

50 points to spend amongst 22 skills means I can be a master in eight and still have two points left over, meaning I can cover over 1/3rd of your skill list.

>Races
Begin with one Training? One trait? Bonus to survival, penalty to diplomacy? What do any of these mean? You have to teach your players the system and how to play it before you get to character creation.

For survival, Cyborgs seem like the obvious choice, and IMO, gets rid of a lot of the drama in Fallout. Urban is also pretty damn useful besides being penalized for wasteland survival, and it doesn't seem like they really need good survival skills in the first place.

>Combat resolution and terminology
How the fuck do I roll? I'm skipping ahead.
>2D6 + Skill + Specialization (if applicable) vs. Difficulty or Opposed Roll
Okay, solid resolution mechanic. Let's go back. Wounds and Resolve. What are these? What are my modifiers for Endurance and Willpower? You need to explain these things.

Against equally matched opponents, the attacker only succeeds 45% of the time, which is pretty good. Each +1 over your target is roughly +10% chance to hit and then some, so a few points go a long way (and you should be starting with at least six, if not seven in Dodge and your main attack skill). You really need an example of combat.

>Training, Traits, Augmentations
What are the bonuses worth, numerically? The Dart is pretty powerful as a guaranteed kill.

>Weapons
(Athletics/3) is cleaner and easier to read than 1/3Athletics. You need to work on formatting here.

Overall 4/10. Clean it up.

Fallout was based on GURPS initially, so that is what you are looking for. Notably it shares a lot of the mechanics, including things like the perks. Advantages like Weirdness Magnet and Skinny are directly equivalent to Wild Wasteland and Light Frame.

Thanks, this is the most insight I have gotten on this since I started running stuff with for my friends.

You can obviously tell that these are just my notes so I apologize for the shitty way everything is formatted, I am still just using word for it all right now.

I will work on those explanations. Ive not needed them myself since Im the only person who has used this (as far as I know) so I actually didnt realize how much was missing.

Again, thanks for your input

>the climbing shit I just mentioned
>not in Lite
Looks like someone's a big fat fucking liar