DRAGONS Edition

Previously: >Commander 2017 Spoilers
mythicspoiler.com/c17/index.html

>Latest Commander Ban Announcement
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18588

>Latest MTGO Banlist Update
wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/160343614814/update-mtgo-commander

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread Question:
Are you gonna buy any of the tribal precons this year?

>Are you gonna buy any of the tribal precons this year?
5c humans if thats one of the tribes
my ephara human tribal deck could use some better humans

I'm gonna do what I do every year.
Preorder one of each from a guy I know at 20% less than MSRP, so I won't have to worry when the price spikes for half of them.

Why does O-Kagachi have to be so bad? I get that it fits the Kamigawa theme of bad cards but jeez he's bad.

O-Kagachi and Ludevic are the reason why I have actually stopped hoping for a Serra Planeswalker card, and instead I hope they never ever touch my favorite character.

And answering the question, dragons look nice but I'm not a big fan of the tribe. Waiting to see what the other decks will have inside or a wizards tribal that doesn't end up being LabMan.dek.

At least he could be worse? It could be "if that player's creatures dealt combat damage to you last turn." or some shit like that.

I'd be fine if they introduced my favorite character.
Then again, my favorite character is Vronos, so any mention of him would be fantastic.

The problem is that in the lore, O-Kagachi was a god being of such immense power he warped and destroyed reality around himself when he was in the mortal realm, and he was the undisputed god of all kami.
And now he's a shitty 6/6 that can get killed by shitty The Unspeakable or Kuro, Pitlord.

>oh hes not actually that bad
>completely forgot the "if that player attacked you this turn clause
holy fucking shit this is beyond awful
kill yourself tripfag

Plus, O-Kagachi should've been Spirit and not Dragon.
They only made him Dragon to force him into the dragon tribal deck.

They also completely forgot about "whenever you spirit or arcane" and divinity counters and the like, so he doesn't even mesh with the already established themes of Kamigawa.

To be fair Kuro's card can kill Marit Lage and the Eldrazi Titans.

not to mention zergo helmsmasher lol

>Are you gonna buy any of the tribal precons this year?
It'll depend on what the other 3 are. The Dragon one is neat, but not my cup of tea, so I won't be buying that.

>And now he's a shitty 6/6 that can get killed by shitty The Unspeakable or Kuro, Pitlord.
Vorosh the hunter can ascend past godhood if he attacks someone and pays 3 mana lol

The funny part is that exiling one nonland permanent when attacking wouldn't even be that big of an effect anyway. Tacking on the extra effect just blows.

O-Kagachi has pretty much always been a big-ass Spirit Dragon Hydra thing though.

>They also completely forgot about "whenever you spirit or arcane" and divinity counters and the like, so he doesn't even mesh with the already established themes of Kamigawa.
Probably because Kamigawa's mechanics were all parasitic as fuck?

I can't wait for the inevitable shitty Yawgmoth card. I want to watch the world burn.

Have they ever done an article on just how bad the design was in Kamigawa?

Hydra != Dragon
And O-Kagachi is most like a snake if anything.
It's based on the Yamata no Orochi of Japanese folklore, which is literally an 8 headed snake. Not dragon.
They only made the card for it a dragon to force it into the dragon tribal deck.

Look at this fuckin' weeaboo, assmad that the Japan-themed plane doesn't perfectly match Shinto lore

Cat Dragon is going to be the deck everyone wants to play
its not a back breaking deck but its in good colors, has good abilities and makes adorable tokens

>generic shit jund aggro
Yawn

>you can't know a little about another culture other than your own or else you're a weaboo

In that card specifically his hydra heads look like snakes so he's a mesh of a lot of stuff. He should've been just a spirit, the typing was the biggest fuck-up.

The plane is a pretty good representation actually, it's the card in question which is Ludevic-levels of what the fuck is that supposed to be.

>aggro
>edh
lol

>makes adorable tokens
the only thing that matters

Precisely my point

theres nothing about that card that leads to agro numbnuts

Vorosh is an alternate timeline Primeval Dragon though (alternate to Rith, specifically). He's basically a God already

I don't care about dragons at all but I'm glad other people are getting fun toys to play with.

Still waiting for an Abzan enchantress commander.

>ability that triggers on combat damage
>ability that conditionally shits tokens
>not aggro
Why do I even come here between retards like this anymore

You already have one. His name is Karador.

>Abzan Enchantress
>not GW Enchantress
???

>only agro decks deal combat damage
>theres no support for weaponizing sacrifice effects in jund
please tell me you are trolling

daxos returned??
animate dead?

Is this bait?

My favorite enchanment is Dark Tutelage so I need black.

Considering Enchantresses are literally GW and never B, other user has a point.

You have like 40 generals that can "weaponize sacrifice effects" a dozen times better than flying toxoplasma. Pic related can do it without a second card even!

Yes.

>GW Enchantress that gives all your enchantments flash
If only

>Dark Tutelage
>literally a worse Phyrexian Arena

but its also a 5/4 for 5 which is hardly an aggresviely costed creature
so its not really an agro deck either

its going to be the prossh deck that isnt broken as all hell, a commander that the color identity desperately needed imho

>Weaponizing sacrifice effects
So, why would you not use a Commander that benefits from sacrificing (Kresh and Sek'Kuar give you value out of saccing things inherently, and Shattergang/Prossh give you an outlet) and GOOD sources of sac-fodder, which are abundant in those colors? This is the Tama argument all over again. You have to connect with your aggressively-costed Dragon Commander to MAKE those tokens, and those 3/3 fliers are better used attacking for 3 in the air than they are being fed to value engines the way you'd feed 0/1 Spawn and 1/1 Saprolings.

If you wanna go the sac-for-value route, she's a really poor choice as a Commander.

Except "Prossh, but not broken" is just a shitty Dragon.

That would be Sek'kuar

Yea, all valid points, but those cat dragon tokens are C U T E!

At least with Tana you can pump those saprolings for good use with Cathar's Crusade or Overrun effects. What is one cat per turn (if the opponent lets you even) gonna do?

Must be nice to have a guy who sells yku sealed product at a net loss.

difference is this is a 5/4 flying trampler not a 2/2
the only reason I brought up the token sac thing was because the other poster was implying the only use for the tokens was "agro"
I dont think the nefarox like ability is particularly bad on him, and it gets even more value when they have nothing left to sac
Sek'kuar is def a good replacement too, hes currently the commander on my jund deck but im going to be testing the new one because I think it will fit better

Can't argue that.

I'd much rather play a 5/4 flier for 5 that makes 3/3 fliers than a 2/2 trampler for 4 that makes 1/1s.

you also have to recognize that most of the time they will be forced to sacrifice a creature

crouching tiger nutting dragons.dec

I'd still rather pay 1 more mana for +3/+2 and swapping the trample for Flying.

I'll buy the Dragons precon because I was going to build Karrthus eventually, so I guess now's the time.

Why is Karrthus still $13 when he's not that great of a card in the first place?

One printing, no reprints, semi-popular commander. (everyone that wants to make dragon tribal but not go full Scion 5c)

Id also accept a Bant enchantress if you want flash. Something like this:

WUG
user, Seer of Nyx
Legendary Human Wizard
You may cast enchantment cards as though they had flash.
Whenever you cast an enchantment spell, scry 1.
2/3

I dont even understand why he is so popular when his is just a huge liabilty for dragon tribal. One clone just destroys you.

i agree thats why im excited to try it instead of sek'

oh also the cat dragon has trample and flying

Because depending on your area Clones may not be super common, and most decks that lean heavily on him have sac outlets.

So you're really just paying B more for +3/+2, flying, and swapping guaranteed tokens-per-damage for an Edict-on-swing that gives you a 3/3 if they can't.

Yeah, I'd say that's miles better than Tana.

that and the only partner combos you can use to get in those colors are
(3 color)
-butt life
-not bloodbraid
-vialsmasher

and to be honest if you are playing a 4c version and still using tana its going to be pretty specialized.

Im looking forward to its release

Yeah I get that, but he's not an amazing commander that has a lot of synergies to build around with like Black Mikeaus or Rhys the Redeemed, and like said clones fuck him over. I suppose I can just try using Wasitora as the head of the deck and see if it would run just fine.

I bet they're going to reprint him in Iconic Masters, just wait.

It'll sound boring, but a nice "toolbox" commander that has some nice triggers based off of creatures entering the battlefield or leaving the battlefield maybe? Even if it's "Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, you may pay X. If you do, draw a card." And "Whenever a creature you control leaves the battlefield you may discard a card. If you do, draw a card." Could double as a madness enabler.

I think there should be a few moderately priced "catch up" cards that basically work like Gift of Estates only for card draw form, or a sorcery version of Sandstone Oracle in white.

make a legend named
x the sun forger
because atm sunforger is one of like 4 cards that make boros fun

Better?

>still has the "if I was attacked last turn" clause
not better

Gisela alone is a good reason to run Boros

>RW Madness
That'd be neat.
Maybe something like "Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may pay 1. If you do, draw a card." and "Whenever a creature you control leaves the battlefield, you may discard a card. If you do, that card gains madness. The madness cost is equal to its mana cost."
Or something.

shes def one of the 4 for sure
its like
sun forger
gisela
one of the lords that says 3 damage to a player when you cast a red spell gain 3 life if you cast a white spell
and the removal spell with kicker that blows up an artifact or enchantment and can remove a creature too ill add it as a picture

How would you feel about a R/W commander with
>At the beginning of your upkeep, draw a card if you have fewer cards in hand than an opponent, gain 1 life if your life total is less than an opponent's, and create a 1/1 red and white Soldier creature token if you control fewer creatures than an opponent.

Nah the whole card is fucked.
>revenge motif
>no haste

the drawing is kinda out of color
might have to exile top card of library and be able to play it (not cast) until end of turn

what about
at the beginning of your upkeep exile the op card of your library you may play it until end of turn
if that card is red or white it costs 1 colorless less to play

Balefire Liege.

thank you
i fucking love that card more than I should
it feels soooo good to play

>Boros Reckoner/Spitemare
>Deflecting Palm

>R/W commander
>draw a card
No

>Deflecting Palm
do people actually play that card?

I do.

Granted, it's in a deck that's nothing but redirect effects.

wait is it time for /edhg/ to build a boros deck together?

Tithe effects are completely in whites color, and would be a great way to make RW more viable in commander.

Though in a multiplayer game a RW commander with card draw tithe might be a bit strong.

>Though in a multiplayer game a RW commander with card draw tithe might be a bit strong.
this is why jeskai and mardu are good color combos

White has the ability to draw cards to restore parity when it's disadvantaged.

>other color combos have card draw
>therefore the solution is to get card draw too
booooriiiing
Boros should be about punishing others for having unfair advantage, not playing cuckoldy catch-up with it

Not really

Give it haste, and make it do something that interacts with spirits

He's cool but I'm afraid to run it in my Boros deck because it might fuck up Skullclamp and I only have 17 spells with {R} in it.

>catch up

That is whites shtick though, hence stuff like tithe, land tax, knight of the white orchid and friends.

>Fuck up skullclamp

I have done this an embarrassingly amount of large times via Ravos

But it isn't red's shtick, like, at all

It's played in Naya Burn in Modern.

I use it along with Comeuppance in my Sunforger package.

>Not really
I mean, they haven't explored the 'draw' option a lot, but white absolutely has "restore parity" cards. Weathered Wayfarer, Land Tax, Gift of Estates, Knight of the White Orchid, Linvala 2.0, Pulse of the Fields.

RW doesn't mean it has to be something that both colors share.

Unless its hybird R/W symbols, then it has to be something in both color's pie.

So, because it isn't red, a red/white card can't do it?

It's mostly in Naya Burn as a "fuck you" to Infect. They pump it up, swing, you no-sell the damage and dome them for 7+.

I'd expect the optimal red/white commander to reflect both color's attitudes equally.

Wouldn't it royally fuck over DSJ too?