/STG/ - Star Trek General

Angry Tholians Edition

Previous Thread A thread for discussing the Star Trek franchise and its various tabletop iterations.

Possible topics include Star Trek Adventures - the new rpg being produced by Modiphius - and WizKids’ Star Trek: Attack Wing miniatures game, as well as the previous rpgs produced by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe, and Star Trek in general.

Game Resources

Star Trek Adventures, Modiphius’ 2d20 RPG
-Official Modiphius Page
>modiphius.com/star-trek.html
Playtest Materials (via Biff Tannen)
>mediafire.com/folder/36m6c22co6y5m/Modiphius Star Trek Adventures
Reverse Engineered Character Creation.
>docs.google.com/document/d/1g2ofDX0-7tgHojjk7sKcp7uVFSK3M52eVP45gKNJhgY/edit?usp=sharing

Older Licensed RPGs (FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher)
>pastebin.com/ndCz650p

Other (Unlicensed) RPGS (Far Trek + Lasers and Feelings)
>pastebin.com/uzW5tPwS

WizKids’ Star Trek: Attack Wing Miniatures Game
-Official WizKids Page (Rules and Player Resources)
>wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Memory Beta - Noncanon wiki for licensed Star Trek works
>memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fan Sites - Analysis of episodes, information on ships, technobabble and more
>pastebin.com/mxLWAPXF

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>startrekmap.com/index.html

/stg/ Homebrew Content
>pastebin.com/H1FL1UyP

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=k7OLCbjuidE
youtube.com/watch?v=rB1mmxr9Hq8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for FASA predicting the future.

A valuable lesson in picking your battles, all the same

So if Enterprise is non-canon to the prime timeline, JJTrek is ENT's sequel, and Discovery is a prequel series to JJTrek, are we completely clear of retcon territory since Threshold?

Possibly. It would be an elegant way of doing allowing a reboot with a reasonably modern (post-9/11) base instead of trying to handwave over 50 years of TV evolution. It also makes the episode title of VOY:Endgame bittersweet in retrospect.

Surely Enterprise is the precursor to both timelines, seeing as the split happened a century or so after the events of Enterprise.

We were discussing this in the tail end of the previous thread. Enterprise was strung through at least four different timelines over the course of the series due to the Temporal Cold War. Daniels said the war got erased from history, but that still leaves questions. All we know for certain is that the NX-01 is never referenced in the Prime series, even in a collection of Enterprises that pictured both the Space Shuttle and the XCV-330 ring ship, but that there's an NX class model on Admiral Robocop's desk during Into Darkness. Now granted there are obvious IRL reasons for this, but it does bear considering in universe.

Regardless of how shit it was, the finale firmly sets Enterprise as happening in the prime timeline.

No reason it can't be both. To be honest I hate all but 4 of time travel episodes in all of Trek so I try to think about them as little as possible.

Or in a timeline where those events happened anyway. The events of First Contact may have damaged the timeline like that one user said. Or gone full retard into the Abrams timeline. 50/50.

I don't think we can firmly establish this. The issue is that, while much of ENT is stupid (4 days to Qo'nos, the Temporal Cold War), any stuff that is set after VOY , assuming such a thing will happen, will likely acknowledge at least something of ENT.

I'm sure someone, somewhere will throw in a "the Enterprise 1701 refit left spacedock before the NX-01's commemorative tile was hung up" as an explanation.

Ultimately, I think we just have to accept ENT is canon for both Prime and JJTrek, and disregard the bits the contradict, like has been done with every series.

Actually, now that I've thought about it, there are so few Vulcans in TNG and later series, that if we overlook mentions of Vulcan itself or take it to mean a "New Vulcan" or whatever, TNG can fit into either timeline without a huge issue one way or the other. Freaky.

Which 4?

Except for Classic Spock, Classic McCoy, the first TNG movie and the nagging question of why the bridge looks like a lounge from the 70's rather than the almighty Apple store.

Yesterday's Enterprise
Year of Hell
Trials and Tribblations
City on the Edge of Forever

But Muh The Visitor, All Good Things and Yesteryear.

I'll allow All Good Things

>Year of Hell

>Voyager but when they're outgunned there are consequences.

Yeah, pretty much

[resonates indignantly]

Except there are no consequences because of the reset button end that murders any interesting consequences and character development.

The only thing the finale sets in the prime timeline is NX Enterprise's final mission, unless Riker was Chef for the entire series.

I've been enjoying STO much more when I use the actual Captain's Log feature after missions to write up after action reports. Am I autistic?

You know what I meant and you're just being contrary.

That explains why the female crew were all so attractive, and the decon scenes. It was a Riker holodeck program.

But wait, if Riker was present for the entire thing, he'd know about the Borg being present at First Contact, which makes that movie part of a self aware stable time loop. Dammit Riker.

I'd watch that, honestly.

I just find the ending nullifies pretty much everything about it being a good episode except for certain performances and and the concept. To me, that episode is the absolute best example of the giant FUCK YOU that Voyager pulled on the idea of what it could have been, what the writers wanted it to be, as a show rather than what it actually was actually: mired in executive meddling, making the story as a whole worthless.

Is the chef actually mentioned at all in the Borg episode? If not, maybe it happened when Riker was called away and forgot to turn the holodeck off so he missed it.

What I remember off the top of my head as to Enterprise's connection to JJTrek:

There are a few references here and there (Scotty saying something about beaming admiral Archer's prized beagle, the NX model admiral whatshisface had, probably a few others).

That said, the ship they found in Beyond (the Franklin, I think) was NX several hundred, and yet someone dropped some comment about it's top speed being less than warp 5. The whole deal about what made Enterprise special in Enterprise was that it had the first warp 5 engine built by Humans. The fact that it was NX-01 means either Humans stopped putting warp 5 engines into their ships sometime after the events of Enterprise, or something got retconned.

Honestly, it was done before JJTrek and it's in the classic ST style (more or less) whereas JJTrek has it's own style, so I consider the two to not be separate even though the separation point is officially after the end of Enterprise. JJTrek will probably continue to make vague references and the like to it, but I seriously doubt JJTrek is going to try to stick to any canon it set up.

Also, I asked this at the end of the last thread but no one answered so I'll ask again: what canon sources explicitly set Enterprise (or chunks thereof) as non-canon (aside from the occasional episode or 2-parter that got retconned immediately via time travel or being just a dream or some shit)?

The warp 5 engine may be highly expensive to build, it's entirely possible they'd load lower warp engines in a ship, or it could have been based on an alternative engine that didn't turn out all that great but worked good enough.

There are any number of possible reasons, but that's not typically how Star Trek works.

One fan theory is that after the formation of the Federation, pre-NX ships (like the Franklin) were re-registered under the new Federation Starfleet, which would explain the sudden increase in registry numbers.

Alternatively, if you take the view of people like Simon Pegg and believe history was changed even before the actual arrival of the Narada (because events changed by the 1701 crew (and later crews) going back in time may no longer happen the same way/at all), then while the NX class may still exist to display as a model, the actual events of the Enterprise era may have happened in different ways, including the inclusion of earlier ships under the NX registry.

NX just means the ship is experimental. The first NX ship in the franchise was the Excelsior with its Transwarp. Enterprise fucked it up by using the term NX Class in some episodes and remembering NX is not a class in others.

The sound barrier was first broken in 1947 but that doesn't mean every fighter jet in the 1950s could.

You're on Veeky Forums. You're autistic.

>We'reallmadhere.png

Year of Hell is the worst case of blue balls Star Trek has ever given me. The amazing buildup, the promise of far reaching consequences, all culminating in the show basically going "haha psyche, back to the status quo!"

Imagine you're getting a blowjob from Natalie Dorner, but right before you cum she rips off her mask and it turns out it was your grandmother. Was it great up to that point? Absolutely, but the ending just completely destroys it.

NX Enterprise wasn't so much as a test ship but rather a prototype, aimed at going into full production (the second one floated out of the shipyards a few seasons into the show), so that's not quite an accurate comparison.

Also, as I said in that's not typically how things in ST work. Someone invents something, tests it a bit, and by the time they're building it into new starships it's standard.

>Someone invents something, tests it a bit, and by the time they're building it into new starships it's standard.
That's not true at all. No other ship had the ziplock bags of sperm tied to the computer like Voyager did, not even the other Intrepids. Or how Quantum torpedoes weren't given to every ship, or how powerful Galaxy class turbo warp cores weren't mounted on every ship after, or how no other class of ship received ablative armor aside from the defiants.

>Voyager
That was a spy ship.
>Galaxy warp cores and ablative armor
Those simply didn't fit on most ships. I'd be willing to bet the Sovereign got both and the Phalanx got the warp core.
>quantum torpedoes
Those were standard issue by 2390.

>No other ship had the ziplock bags of sperm tied to the computer like Voyager did, not even the other Intrepids.
How do you know this?
>Or how Quantum torpedoes weren't given to every ship
Probably have a different launcher or something. Easy to explain.
>powerful Galaxy class turbo warp cores weren't mounted on every ship after
Why would they? Not every ship is as big as a Galaxy, for one. And for another thing, how do you figure the later ones aren't better?
>how no other class of ship received ablative armor aside from the defiants
We don't know that other Defiant-class ships even had the armor, though it can be supposed that they did. Also, they did put it on the Lakota, and the Prometheus had it too.

You sent in your screenshots for the screenshot contest, right? Pic unrelated.

>Also, I asked this at the end of the last thread but no one answered so I'll ask again: what canon sources explicitly set Enterprise (or chunks thereof) as non-canon (aside from the occasional episode or 2-parter that got retconned immediately via time travel or being just a dream or some shit)?

I personally don't think it's nom-canon, but I could see a lot of inconsistencies, that could lead people to think that way.

>Romulan Warbirds and Mines have cloaks, despite them not being invented until Balance of Terror
>in Balance of Terror it was stated that the Earth-Romulan war was fought with lasers and nukes
>the NX Enterprise makes no appearance in other prime works, despite the appearance of the Space Probe Enterprise.
>The D7 appears in one of the worst episodes

These can all be explained away relatively easily. Personally, I wish that the NX-01 hadn't been named Enterprise.

Wouldn't those be retcons not inconsistencies? There is a ton of retcons from TOS, one of the biggest is the miss use of the word "galaxy". But I agree that the NX should have been called Pioneer or something. (Though I should say that the NX is my favourite Enterprise in the series)

What contest?

At least we dodged that 'boy bands on the NX-01 every week' idea. TV producers must be actual incarnations of Satan.

>boy bands on the NX-01 every week
I'm not sure what saddens me more, the fact that someone thought that was a good idea or the fact that it doesn't surprise me.

Cryptic is holding a screenshot competition.

>We don't know that other Defiant-class ships even had the armor, though it can be supposed that they did. Also, they did put it on the Lakota, and the Prometheus had it too.

The armour was non standard. In "Paradise Lost" the captain of the Lakota says of the Defiant something to the effect of "Seemingly somebody neglected to inform Starfleet that she has ablative armour."

Well it's not like I can submit my edits. Good luck to everybody that has a non-dogshit graphics card.

Keep in mind that the 'Hundred-Series' fightercraft from the 1950s-60s are less advanced than the 'Teens-Series' of today.

The F-22 is several generations ahead of the F-100 Starfighter, so NX-01 being named NX-01 has no bearing on the Franklin's NX-326 designation.

For all we know, Franklin may have been the 326th ship since the Phoenix's retroactive designation as NX-1, and NX-01 is a marketing gimmick.

The NX-01 predates the Federation and, if we assume Enterprise is canon, the first of that style to be built. We don't know how old the Franklin is, but it was active after the founding of the Federation so it's not likely to be older than the Enterprise. We also see no other ships of that approximate design in Enterprise (except the Columbia, I think it was called, which was the exact same design as Enterprise).

That said, Beyond tells us nothing about when the Franklin was built, so they may have retconned it into being older.

>We don't know how old the Franklin is, but it was active after the founding of the Federation so it's not likely to be older than the Enterprise

Why? The Columbia class is new enough. Earth is still happy using the NV and Delta series ships after Columbia's launch. And given the fact that the Franklin was the first warp 4 engine, it's entirely possible, if not extremely probable, that the Franklin predates the Columbia.

The obvious fix for the Franklin having NX-326 as its number is that she was given the number as part of Starfleet's attempt to normalise their various design series within the new combined Starfleet. Like the Intrepid going from NV-whateverthefuck to NX whateverthefuck, with the limited series of Columbia class starships taking the lower numbers.

That was Sisko's work. He took the Defiant out of mothballs and tinkered with it.

Sisko's handling of the whole Defiant situation was hilarious minmaxing. I can just imagine Veeky Forums-Sisko trying to explain that to the GM at chargen. D20/DnD terms used for convenience.
>Yeah I'm going to roll a BoP sized corvette with more speed and weapons power than a Galaxy class and fancy armor.
>That'll be pretty heavy. Are you sure you have the engine budget to keep it maneuverable?
>Fine, stick the biggest warp core you have in there.
>It's going to tear your ship apart at anything over warp five.
>THE BIGGEST. WARP. CORE. YOU. HAVE.
>*sigh* Fine.
>Oh, and give me a cloaking device.
>You do know those are banned for anyone but Romulan ships right?
>So stick a Romulan bitch on there, I don't give a fuck. Put her in a chainmetal bikini too.
>Goddammit this isn't your magical realm, Ben. Standard uniform.
>Fine, fucking buzzkill GM.
>[session begins]
>I roll to have my chief engineer fix all the engine problems.
>Bullshit, you can't.
>The hell I can't, this is STAR FLEET. *sisko crazy bug-eyes*
>Fine, roll for it.
>Nat 20, bitch.
>Goddammit. Well, at least you still have the Romulan spy, I mean cloak technician.
>[next session]
>So we took damage. The Romulan dies but I keep the cloak.
>Fuck you, roll for it.
>Nat 20.
>[Dominion player gets up and leaves the table in disgust.]

I sent one but I've been thinking that it was probably a poor choice.
Pic related.

If I recall, you had a nice shot of your ship passing by a planet, with a star in the background creating a nice halo. I'd probably go with that.

The Romulan chick didn't actually die, the writers just forgot about her and the actress got tired of waiting and went on to do other projects.

On STO how would you go about making the most beat up looking ship?

Given the amount of salvaged and mismatched parts you get throughout the game your ship should be an ugly as sin chimera. How would you go about making it look like such a thing?

You mean this one?
Maybe next time they hold this thing.
I don't want to swamp them with pics, even if it was only two.
Also i have no idea how many pics one can send them.

Either mount all borg equipment you can find on your ship and leave their visuals on, and/or get a sovereign and kitbash the crap out of it.

>tfw no pic
Do you have an album with your screenshots? I'm thinking I might be able to get a few wallpapers out of this.

Forgot image of course.

They are kinda mixed in with the rest of my STO and star trek images.
But i can post some if you want to see more.

I chose not to send anything.

Nah man, it was from the front, maybe a little further on from the same planet

This one?

Gone looking through my album and all I've got is my edit of it. So the unedited version of this.

I don't think that one is mine.

It's mine. Here's the original.

That is weirdly accurate

Here's another one of mine. I have a bunch.

I would also be willing to take requests. I could make a pretty nasty looking ship with the Breen shield and some Borg kit parts (once I get the rest of the Omega stuff anyway) at some point.

Another just for good measure.

Wouldn't happen to have a Dauntless? I reckon it'd look good with either a Sol Defense or Delta set.

Wasn't she Seska in Voyager?

>all those alternate timelines where the crew get killed are the GM trying to kill off a players Mary Sue OC Donut Steels

You should do that beat-up look on a T6 Miranda using the original Miranda parts for good measure.

Or wait, maybe on one of the T6 temporals using the TOS skin?

I don't have the Dauntless, sorry.

I don't have the T6 Miranda (got the battlecruiser pack instead), but the T1 Miranda has the original parts and would look just as authentic.

As for the T6 TOS ships, any you'd prefer?

It may take a bit for me to get back to you on the requests. Just be patient.

None in particular, just thinking of that one old-ass Vulcan captain's ship, from TOS times, recovered from the scrapyard and held together by spit and baling wire, and packing 5 different kinds of galactic atrocity-causing weapons.

/pfg/ "e-celeb" discussion provides all the downsides of namefags, with none of the upsides

Fuck that's nice

Miranda looks pretty great with the Delta Set

youtube.com/watch?v=k7OLCbjuidE

Where do you get the Borg kit parts?

Task force omega rep list.

It's from the Omega rep. They're bloody expensive too. In fairness though, the impulse engine is the fastest (sector speed!) in the game.

That has to be one of the most endearing of the recurring STG characters.

It combines images of badass grandpa, plucky underdog and dangerous maverick.

Also a drunken chimera of a ship that feels like an old ship rather than just being told that it's an old ship and it looking like a luxury liner.

I'm working on the impulse engine now. Almost threw my hands up and quit playing when I saw how many fucking marks it requires.

Every bit of space set requires the same amount of marks, dilithium and other assorted such.

I remember when it was from the STFs only, and you were lucky to ever finish the fucking thing.

Yeah, that was just downright inhumane.
>Do a STF
>It has both the ground and space part to it, making it an hour long slog
>During it there was a tiny chance a requisition mark could drop and it was random
>At the end of the whole thing there would drop one random requisition mark which the whole team had to pass/greed/need for and everyone always pressed need
>Once you had such a token you needed it and some dilithium to buy a piece of tech from those STF merchants at DS9

I sure as hell don't miss those times.

You're thinking of the second rank of the pieces. You could get your first level of the set just redoing the quest over and over. I still have it in my log from when I stopped for a while. But yeah, that requisition drop sucked.

I'd like the old STFs back as actual in-game missions, even if they're shitty. They're no less shitty than all the other old content still in the game.

>devs have outright admitted that Defera will never be fixed because getting rid of it and remaking it from scratch would be less work

There we go, loaded the game up.

I know everyone will probably hate me for this post, but I care not; my parents pre ordered Starfinder for me for my birthday and I plan on running a Star Trek/Sailor Moon crossover game, where the players make their own sailor scouts/tuxedo masks who are bridge officers on an experimental new ship.
The transformations will give the pcs more combat abilities an whatnot (super charging the phaser arrays with fire, using the power of friendship to cause the shields to hold longer, etc.

I have a lot of story planned out, but much of it is very star trek-y. How do I add in more magical girl?

Pic related

I exclusively fly Breen Christmas ships. The raider and the carrier. Both look like garbage scows

Do you have the giant space lobster that is the Breen dreadnought?

I have all of them. Unfortunately I just got a new pc and haven't installed sto yet. Dreading how long it will take

youtube.com/watch?v=rB1mmxr9Hq8

>all the main characters are magical girls
>How do I add in more magical girl?

Have you considered just running a game about magical girls?