/awg/ - Alternative Wargames General

Halo Fleet Battles/Ground Command edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

homebrew systems are welcome

last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

shop.spartangames.co.uk/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=HFCV12
gamenerdz.com/halo-fleet-battles
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Guy who was asking about Alkemy last thread reporting in with results from the game I had today.
I don't play fantasy games (aside from Mordheim way back) so that might colour my opinion, but I quite liked it. Nothing too spectacular but it's all pretty fun and simple and the unique dice work well (I was using a conversion chart and normal d6).
The combat card system feels a little overwrought though. If you're going against an inactive opponent there's no reason to not use a Brutal attack.
It's a shame the models are so expensive even for a skirmish game, and then add P&P from France on top. It doesn;t seem like there are any UK stockists, am I being blind?

I want Spartan to release the Falcon and Sparrowhawk. I need air cover for my warthog swarm.

well they released the Longsword and the Seraph, which can do bombing runs but can't do drops.

Sweet Jesus that's a big plasma beam. I was expecting this thing to be doofy and cheap due to it's designation of 'Merchant Cruiser', but if it's actually a bigger slower CPV I might have to pick up a couple.

Also Derek said this back in April:

>Just popping online to give you an insight into what we have just finished in playtest and design for Halo: Ground Command.

>As of today we have finished Covenant/Banished: Banshees, Brute Overseers, Brute Assault Troops, Brute Chieftains, Suicide/Demolition Grunts, and Marauders!

>....along with UNSC: Falcons, Marines, Helbringers, Jackrabbits, Noble Team, and Grizzlies!
>Now, to be clear this just means they are completed in design and testing.... I don't know when they are coming out...so don't ask! :P But I thought it would be a good idea to keep you in the loop as to where we are going in the near future.

Well yeah, the bloody thing is like a space tank, the so much for merchant ship eh?

Also just for you

Sparrowhawk is sexy though.
I just bought into this and everything people say about Spartan has me worried that the game is just going to up and die suddenly. Good to see they're actually working on it. I bought the box set on a whim and was surprised by the quality of it all.

>Build a CA
>Put a supply closet in it somewhere
>Sneak them into the Fleet Ministry budget as Merchant Cruisers

Unlike their home grown IPs, they're partnered with Microsoft and 343 for these - the consequences of leaving these babies in the car unattended would be pretty catastrophic as a result.

According to Neal from Spartan Games, they are in a 3 year contract with M$ for this game, so that might be why they have been doing the support for the game regularly and why this month they released those 1/300 scale airships, because they have to release stuff otherwise they get M$ lawyers giving them awkward calls at 3 in the morning.

I have to admit, I'm glad Microsoft is so protective of the franchise.

Ever since Fleet Battles was announced Neil and Derek said how draconian M$ and 343 were on their beast of war interviews, so yeah worse case scenario we get people raising a ruckus at 343, the last time it happen Neil conveniently announced their new contract and if it were to happen again I wouldn't put it beyond M$ to just bankrupt them and buy them out which might actually be good for SG own IP's since I doubt they could do worse.

>It is not a glassing beam, it is a persuasion device

>Arbiter, explain to me why our new merchant vessel contains so many weapons.
>They are not weapons Hierarch, they are the latest in contract and IP enforcement technology - with such vessels in our fleet no one will dare pirate our property or sell below our MSRP ever again!

>The Boarding crafts are to merely expidate delivery of goods.

For anyone who hasn't heard, plastic Domari are now out for Beyond the Gates of Antares.

Freeborn also got a new command skimmer, and starter/support army deals.

btw in another post they mentioned Osiris as being worked on at the same time as NOBLE team

What is a good, current 6mm Sci-Fi Wargame? I just found out about Epic 40k and am sad that I missed out on plying it when it was supported.

There is Railgun 2100 by the Fistful of TOWs lads but I think it's more hard-scifi orientated.

Can anyone who plays Wild West Exodus tell me if I would ever want to use the King Scarab? I like the rest of the faction, but I hate this model, especially at its price point.

Dropzone Commander? It has a general.

That's 10mm sadly.

>before Hobbit
>50 model max
>after Hobbit
>can run 65 goddamn moria orcs at once in a 500 point game
I'm this close to making a moria army.

Does... does anyone play it?

The conundrum of /awg/.

Finally getting my Advanced Song of Blades and Heroes warbands going. Hopefully get to run some demos at the FLGS soon.

i am not sure i understand, it is a model it supposedly has its uses, just don't field it if you don't want to or prox it, there must be a bug somewhere you like which would fit the model.

You've got Future War Commander which has army lists for a whole range of SF stuff including armies "very close" to those sold by GW.
Or there is Laserstorm from Nordic Weasel Games which is for big SF battles. The pdf is ten bucks from WGV.
For free there is Dirtside II which you can download from Ground Zero Games.

Oh, mb senpai. I only play DF.

>yet to pick up hobbit rules
>wanting to get my friends into it with me
>draft some 350 pts list using older rules and the books I have to introduce yhem
>some armies are like twice the size I thought they would be

I remember why LOTR is such a good game, even at 350 pts I'm getting at least about 30 guys per army

There is no limit on models, an example army in the LOTR book has 75 guys in it.

Why word/news on that Fallout wargame? (More than the wargame, I'm looking forward for that nuke-coke dispenser)

I want to start off a few small LotR armies, what is a good beginner point level?

What proxy miniatures would you use for Witch Hunters and Carnival of Chaos (for Mordheim)? I'm still on the search and can't find anything.

I mean, ideally. Does it offer something that let's say an Onyx Bruiser doesn't?

They put out a survey asking people what they want from it. That includes how many models a game has, what the models are made out of, what models they will make, ect. So it is clear that things are in more of a planning stage currently.

around 400 is usually good. tournaments typically run around the 600 level. anymore than that and you're heading into big army territory.

>Witch Hunters
Hasslefree has a few Inquisitor type guys, as does Black Chapel miniatures.
Pretty sure some of the Reaper clerics could do the job too.
>Carnival of Chaos (for Mordheim)?
If I were to build one I'd probably use a mix of plaguebearers and Frostgrave cultists.
The new nurgle cultists from the 40k starter looks pretty good to. If you ebay some of those and kitbash some fantasy weaopns on them you are halfway there I think.

Forgot to mention Avatars of War. They have a witchunter mini too.

Hasslefree might have some suitable minis.

Thanks people, will look them up!

Since WHFBg doesn't seem to know anything maybe I'll find here the answers I seek:

What are the next plastic box sets that come out that could be used for WHFB?

No matter if historics or fantasy. 28mm regiment sized plastic sets.

Are there any in the pipeline?

Fireforge games is working on a box of plastic byzantine soldiers.

Frostgrave Dwarfs soon

Did they announce anything in the way of cavalry? I need nice plastic ones for Saga.

It would be strange to not have a box of cataphracts since east rome was pretty famous for using them.

But maybe they will do it like with their russian range: Plastic footmen and resin everything else.

Thanks!

Nice ...I could imagine them as nun undead spearmen for my Sylvania army.

I saw them but somehow I don't think they would be a good "battle regiment"

Easterling Kataphracts make a good substitution with a bit of conversion work

I realized that at 15mm we won't get to really appreciate Kat's amazing ass. Imagine that in 28mm heroic.

But yes, that's really disappointing, I'm going to be spending an awful lot of time on that ass tho.

I wonder what is going to be going on next after Spartan Games releases all the stuff they currently have planned for Halo: Ground Command, I wonder if we will get a Spartan leader, since we know that for the covenant Neil had Scarab planned along with a whole bunch of super units

Thanks for the insight

I would have killed for these bad boys a few years ago.

I kind of gave up on my Byzantine project because there were only two companies producing 28mm Byzantines and they were both hideous.

Anyone else tried Scrappers yet? Seems really nice from what I've gathered from the book. Havn't played yet but soon will.

We don't have the book
;_;

BGOT looks interesting.

How big is the average army compared to the stater set?

I got the hardback a few days ago and have been skimming it through when time has permitted me. It uses D10 as the basic die. Factions are interesting but if none suits your idea then you can pick Freelancers as a faction. There are basically Brotherhod of steel like Archaologists, druidic GAIA genemutants, road warriors, AI synthetics and many others.

Teams consist of minimum 3 models (commander + 2+ troopers and you can pick 0-2veterans to it, maximum of 15 models). Figures have 360 vision and facing doesn't matter. Models areWYSIWYG but rules tell what items can be ignored for thus.

Three different types of units True Humans, Mutants and Synthtics. Troop statlines are customiseable(as far I've read). Commander can have 3traits, veterans 2 and troopers 1.

Stats are combat,constitution and command, traits and situations modify these. I'm typing on tablet. This is hard.Sofar very interesting and definetly worth the buy ifyou miss Necromunda but want something bit more developed and folows modern game design.

The starter set is roughly 800pts of Concord and 400pts of Ghar, but you could probably stretch the Concord to 1k and Ghar to 500 if you buy every upgrade you can get.

The game is played on similar point scales to 40k, generally 500-2000pts, and basic infantry tend to be 15-25pts, while vehicles tend to be 100pts for lighter ones all the way up to 400pts for heavily armed and armoured tanks.

So a usual size of a game tends to be about 30-40 infantry with a supporting vehicle or two per side.

Those minis are way bigger than I expected, how much do they cost and are there any painted examples?

shop.spartangames.co.uk/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=HFCV12

Or here too, but they don't have the ships yet:

gamenerdz.com/halo-fleet-battles

And sorry but I don't have any pics of the ship painted because it arrived this week and no one in our Facebook group has had time to paint them yet

This game looks really cool, thanks. I found a picture of some painted Covenant ships, which only reinforces how much I want these and the time to paint them.

And the fun thing is that you can go wild with it.

Been watching people play Fleet Battles on youtube, now I feel the need to buy a fleet to compliment my army, already spent $300 in figures and supplies this week...

Is ok, is not like you can take any of it to the grave, so might as well have some fun now and get yourself one, matter of fact go half and half with a buddy

UNSC frigates are just so adorable.

Legions of middle earth put one in place, which is silly considering the shire can't ally with anyone.
It also had the points to a bunch of units that never got stat lines.

After binge watching over a dozen western films it is no surprise that I got a hankering to play some old western tabletop games. The question is, where do I start and what does Veeky Forums recommend? I know of the existence of GW's Legends of the Old West but have no knowledge of it so I thought I would ask you fellas and see if I should start there or steer clear and look elsewhere.

Legends of the old west and legends of the high seas are lotr with guns and with more pirates than normal.

Anybody know if something like the Statuesque female head exist in 15mm?

Dead Man's Hand and its expansions are worth looking at. It uses playing cards to determine initiative and for other abilities. A gang is pretty cheap and easy to build. There is an expansion that sets the game in Australia, and another that adds weird elements to it.

Tombstone just finished its Kickstarter. There are a lot of model options, and actually has mounted dudes for a change. It uses 32 mm models that are somewhat nicer than Dead Man's Hand's. It will take a while for everything to hit shelves though. Not weird outside of there being an undead faction.

If you want something really gonzo (That actually qualifies as /awg/ rather than /hwg/ for that matter) then look at Wild West Exodus. Somewhat larger and more expensive than the others. Has crazy shapeshifting natives, old timey brass robots, Union soldiers with power armor, and an entire faction of ayy lmaos who are there for reasons.

Malifaux counts I guess. Think a less crazy version of WWE, but it has so much other shit going on that it is at the end of this list for a reason. Great models, Parker Barrows and Perdita are worth collecting anyways.

Pony Wars. It is a 15mm game that is played entirely solo or entirely co-op. The 'CPU' controls the Sioux while you and your friends control soldiers.

Fantastico! I will be giving these a looky loo, thank you'll kindly.

I have not playing any sort of LotR tabletop game so I have no idea if you're giving me a full on "Stop, turn back" sign or a caution sign.

Sweet, Im working on a homebrew system right now, just approaching the first completed draft for V1. I'll have to keep tabs on these threads, maybe get some input.

>Jackrabbit

Fuck I hate that thing.

Boothill, first or second edition. It's closer to an rpg but makes for a fairly in depth skirmish game, it's very deadly.

Fair enough, not using that version so its not likely to come up.

Honestly I want HW2 cyclops instead or the Kodiak.

Do you guys talk Halo lore here?

It's neither, it's a good system.

Thanks, so about 1000 to 1500 points would be considered the normal size.

I quite like the look of the Freeborn as I always loved Dune and they're quite clearly Freemen inspired.

My only issue is that apart from the Freeborn and the Concord I don't really feel anything for the other factions. I wish we could get some more interesting factions apart from squid-men, rock-men, military-men and desert-men.

There's no accounting for taste I suppose, but when I originally looked at Antares I only found the Ghar interesting, and nowadays I like almost all the factions (Boromites being the only ones who don't do anything for me). I think I just had to rewire my thinking away from 40k's space fantasy aesthetics to enjoy the more classical sci-fi factions of Antares.

Maybe they'll grow on me. I think I need to see more vehicles before I make a final judgement.

Apart from the Ghar are they all humans?

I was in the same boat as you guys.
In the beginning when they advertised the game as hard sci-fi and then released the Boromites I was incredibly disappointed.

After some time to get a fresh perspective I really enjoy the space opera thing that's going on with the miniatures though and bought inot the game.
Funny how that goes.

even the ghar were supposedly human at some point.

There are really very few aliens. Some critters for Xilos and the guys from the Isorian faction are the only ones in the regular range.
The headhunter from the card game was a limited edition model, but also an alien.

All major factions are mutated humans that over a period of several thousand years adapted to the planets they colonized.
Except the Ghar, they were engineered to wage war.

do you also happen to have a pdf? i am very interested in getting into antares, but i can't afford rules i am not sure i like.

Unfortunately not. I was actually planning on buying some of the new Freeborn within the next week and getting a pdf copy of the rulebook along with the order so that I can share it with people who are interested in Antares, so stay tuned.

I quite like the rules though, there are really only a couple of tiny issues that irk me, mainly that blast weapons randomise hits yet also use a template, and that unit coherency is only 1".

yeah, we talk any lore for any tabletop as long as it falls in the /awg/ sphere, so no infinity, or WH, or the like.

>mainly that blast weapons randomise hits yet also use a template
I liked BA 1st ed on this one...HE D6, if it hit, it's D6 to wound rolls. Templates are really bloody unnecessary in BA 2nd ed, especially how they can't scatter or anything.

Yeah, of all the new changes to 8th Ed 40k we're seeing, them removing pieplates and replacing them with 1st Ed BA's method of doing things is by no means the most unwelcome.

>"There was only one ship..."
>"One? Are you sure?"
>"Yes, they called it 'The Pillar of Autumn'."