Roleplayer's Remorse

>ForeverGM
>Often run games with a emphasis on involving the players
>Aim to reward players thinking outside the box, making decisions based on observations
>Want players to feel like the center of their personal epic, no matter how small scale
>Have almost never gotten constructive feedback
>Finally get to play
>First dude turns the game into a meatgrinder nut-punch of a campaign where you never get to do what you want and you only ever get beat up by the new boss
>Second dude just runs modules in a very dry way
>third dude has a "No good deed goes unpunished" game that, while good, continually reminds you that you're doomed to get fucked

>tfw just want to play a game where the party is cohesive and all act on the same goal
>A game where everyones creativity is rewarded, not just the DMs or the Favorite Player's.
>tfw cannot find a game that plays similar to an endeering adventure

Anyone else have remorse over their current state?

>the only one in my current group that knows a thing about DMing is a fat furry that I'm all but certain would make his campaign either lolrandumb to the point of incoherency or magical realm as fuck (probably both)
I just wanna play for once instead of DMing ;-;

>gotten constructive feedback

>where the party is cohesive and all act on the same goal

Pick one. The less the players are with it, the better the cohesiveness.

>where everyone's creativity is rewarded

You'd never be able to verify this happening with your current group, I fear. They sound like they pack an extra chromosome.

>lolrandumb or magical realm
>just wanna play for once
Pick one. Alternatively, start a /solo/ general and see if anyone has created anything to ease your pain.

>be one of our groups dms
>spends days at a time tailoring game to players
>world reacts to what they do
>other dm only wants to tell a story
>not a story you can change, just a story
>retcons player actions between sessions
>other players eat this shit up

Fuck my group and this hobby.

You're scaring me. That shouldn't be possible.

t. prospective DM

>>Have almost never gotten constructive feedback

Ironclaw has a rule you might want to adapt to get feedback. A third of the per-session xp comes from giving feedback at the end of the session.

Any feedback works. If a player just says that they liked the session, they get the XP. If they say they didn't like it, ask them for why, then give them the XP when they say why. If that starts a discussion among the players, anyone who participates gets the XP.

That sounds great.

The GM's Lament
>I run the type of games I would like to play in
>But I never get to play in the type of games I would like to play

>by the third session
>yea I liked it, whatever, can I get my exp and go home now?

I feel this feeling the most deeply of all

>run published settings because players don't read lore
>allow pretty free character creation
>adjust all encounters and a good chunk of story to player's characters

>everyone else limits it to the point your characters have to be the same
>all orphaned, white, late teen societal burdens
>no adjusted loot to anything outside core, no special weapons for sale and no time to make
>ban classes used to bypass 1000th night ambush
>eternal quest to "gain more bearing"
>change things from previous sessions and get pissed when you have notes

And that is why I quit my group today. Got to the point I can't even call them my friends anymore. Just people who I hang around with once a month and piss away a day.

I was experiencing the exact same thing until I realized that
>ForeverGM
>Often run games with a emphasis on involving the players
>Aim to reward players thinking outside the box, making decisions based on observations
>Want players to feel like the center of their personal epic, no matter how small scale
is actually really fun and genuinely rewarding to run. This is the exact type of game I run, and even though players very rarely have very little feedback other than "great game, can't wait for next week," it still feels great. I actually prefer GMing to playing now. There's only one other DM on island I trust to even run a fun game anyway.

>Got to the point I can't even call them my friends anymore. Just people who I hang around with once a month and piss away a day.

This happened to my playgroup gradually

the best player/gm was the first to leave, and it took me 5 years to accept that I had nothing in common with the remaining players except shared knowledge of the same game system

that's exactly post of OP but shorter

We all know those feels...

Nice dubs...

I can guarantee that this would happen in my group. I remember when we used to talk about sessions and what could've happened. People actually had plans and aspirations then but now nearly everyone just settles in their niche and it's starting to feel like a job. This is my last try man, it hurts trying so hard and getting nowhere.

>on island
Where do ya live?
I'm on Maui, Hawaii, which is painfully lackin' in DMs. I'd do it, but I don't particularly enjoy it (despite good feedback last time I did it.)

Kauai Hawaii lol.

When I've run or played sessions using that rule, most sessions ended like that. It was still useful feedback, because it tells the GM that he is doing things right. It lets the GM know that the players like his game. That the players appreciate him.

I know I had several sessions that I thought went poorly, but the players all liked.

So players behaving like that isn't a problem.

>Meet classmate's acquintance in high school
>Kinda autistic, but in a good way
>He handles social situations better than most because he had to learn how to
>Really strict about principles though
>He tries to coax me into roleplaying with him
>He's extremely pedagogic
>I'm an asshat that want to dualwield spears and shit
>I'm an insufferable weeb that want power fantasies
>He just want a coherent rpg setting, where economics, abilities and the world are coherent and logical
>10 years down the road
>I've grown a lot as a person
>We've tweaked our homebrew for 8 years now
>We're more about the story than killing stuff in the games
>We're nitpicky as fuck when it comes to players
>We've gone through around 40 people trying to make them play with us
>We have one other player
>I can't play with anyone else
>I can't talk about roleplaying with anyone else because they're retards
>My friend is studying to become an engineer now
>Last session was two months ago
>The one before that was ten months before the last
>He barely have time to talk systems on the phone anymore
>I've gotten painted into a glorious corner where a game makes me get through months of hard shit.
>Those games happen more and more rarely.
>Try to rp with everyone I meet now
>They all suck.
>I just want my bro to play with me
>No homo

This has been my experience
Lots of GMs just wanting to "tell a story", with 0 interest in player input. I'm not sure why they don't just write a book

No one will ever run a game like I do. That's ok. I've accepted that. I just run the best damn game I can, and take what I can out of that.

Make him your bro for life. Ring on that finger.