MTG Modern General

"Limitless Value" edition.

>Playing?
>Brewing?
>Metagame thoughts?
>Discussion: What card from another color do you wish your deck could run?

Decklists:
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO

Primers:
>mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

Weekly Modern Metagame:
>mainphasemtg.net/modern-tier-list/2017/5/22/modern-tiered-list-weekly-update-and-analysis-for-52217

Last thread:
>53425568

Yes, we all hate Jund and

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/13040177
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>not being able to run all 5 colors
get gud

>>Playing?
Norin Sisters splashing black for Bobs.

>>Brewing?
The above, still in construction and testing phase.

>>Metagame thoughts?
Probably fine. I'd be happy with a little less Tron running around since they crush me pretty hard, but whatever.

>>Discussion: What card from another color do you wish your deck could run?
None, but I'd really like a bob effect on a 1-drop so I can get it with Ranger of Eos late-game for the grind. Dude can be a 0/1, I just need the effect (and it'd be nice if it were a human too maybe). Never gonna happen but a man can dream.

Reposting poll from last thread: strawpoll.me/13040177

Answer for science and 5 internet points.

>>Playing?
burn
>>Brewing?
blue moon
>>Metagame thoughts?
decent, eldrazi and death shadow feel over-represented

is it worth it to make an angel deck or no, i have a bunch of angel cards i want to make use of

You could look into angel chord.

Why is Skred gaining so much popularity? Must be the price.

Related: I'm confused about how Ricochet Trap works with regards to legal and non-legal targets.

For counterspells, you're supposed to change the target of the counterspell to the counterspell. I get how that works.

Can you change the target of Path or Push to a manland that has yet to become a creature?

No, the new target must be legal. If there are no other legal targets, the target doesn't change.

To clarify though, you don't choose the new target until Trap resolves. So you could cast trap, then animate a land, then change the target to that animated land.

You have to redirect the counterspell to the Trap, not the counterspell. It can't target itself.
>manlands
If it says "target creature," it can't target anything that's not a creature. Doesn't matter that it might be one soon, it has to be one when you choose targets.

Skred tech. Go nuts.

Alright, well, here's a relevant question.

>Animate a mountain with Koth +1
>For whatever reason, I hold priority and cast an instant, let's say Skred targeting my own Reckoner
>They respond with crack-fetch and Push targeting Reckoner

Can I ricochet trap targeting my land?

I know in normal circumstances they'd just let the land animation resolve first because I would have no reason (generally) to hold priority

Went 4-0 with Merfolk at a local FNM against Death's Shadow Jund, Bant Conpany, and UW Control AMA.

You can only change the target to your animated land if Koth's ability has resolved. If it hasn't then you can't.

Running smuggler's copter or no?

Hey this may seem like a dumb question but is pic related xmage? If so, how do I get my version to look like this? The UI is perfect.

That looks like the official Mtg online

Oh, thanks.

Haven't really kept up with Merfolk lists, how do they benefit from Copter except for a little extra evasion and filtering out lands so you get more gas?

Seems like extra 2 drops isn't where you want to be

>filtering out lands so you get more gas
That is indeed the benefit.

The list I used didn't have any copies. In between Adepts and Seas I think that we have enough card draw as is and having more Coptors means fewer fish.

I've heard of it as a sideboard card for grindy match ups but personally I think Thassa is better in those cases.

What about that flip merfolk?

Any advice for a new storm player? What should I know about this deck compared to ad nauseam?

Storm is vulnerable to more forms of hate.

>angel chord

ooooo

hope it isnt that expensive

what would be expensive to you?

anything over $600

although modern decks are really expensive so at this point i dont really care.

Hint: it is.

I mean, you could try to build an angel tribal deck, but I've never seen one.

are you trying to trigger modern general

If he is, there are far easier ways.

im not but if i wanted to trigger you guys i would have brought up

blue decks

timmes

and unbanning JTMS

Best way to steal packs?

Ban 8th and 9th edition.

If SFM would get unbanned, would DnT run a shell like legacy with serra avengers et al? Or would it just drop a few other cards and jam in SFM and 2 or 3 equipment and keep the rest?

It doesn't matter because it wouldn't be close to the best SFM deck.

Then what would be a top contending SFM deck?

Step 1: Be a nigger
Step 2: ???
Step 3: KANGZ

Alternatively, realize that cracking packs, even if you steal them, is the shittiest way to get cards. Earn some fucking money and buy the cards you need, or if you can't save money worth a damn, git gud at draft and buy cards with store credit.

The closest store is 30 minutes away and doesn't do store credit

Regardless, that was in response to "how to trigger modern general" so you fell for bait that had already revealed itself

Good going

Why are combo decks like storm and ad nauseam so much cheaper than other decks with similar levels of competitiveness?

The pieces to combo decks are not relevant to other decks

Pact of Negation, Angel's Grace, Phyrexian Unlife, Gemstone Mine, Ad Nauseam, Lightning Storm...these aren't cards that you're going to see in a lot of decks

Without any research done I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the decks focus around highly specialized cards that have little to no splash value in other decks in the format as well as consisting of not as expensive cantrips to find and utilize the combo. Just a guess

Because Timmys drive prices higher

Hard to say but I'd try Esper contror. Lots of disruption and card advantage, clean answers like Verdict, Path, Push. SFM is essentially a better Colonnade that puts you up a card, or more with blink effects.

I think it'd be killer in knightfall. They run it in Maverick, so it couldn't be that bad

Wait, what? You can't be serious. It's one of the best decks in legacy, how in the bloody fuck does cutting 6-7 cards to make room for SFM package in esper be the best?

Are you retarded?

You've never played UWx control, have you?

Esper control doesn't run blink effects and it doesn't have a ton of stuff to cut in the maindeck either. It'd be a new deck entirely and even at that probably just be a much shittier esper deathblade.

I don't know about knightfall specifically but I think there is a Bant goodstuff CoCo shell for it.

Abzan would be pretty dank since souls tokens can carry a sword well enough and it's a low cost threat.

>revfor15.jpg

Don't think I've heard about that before. Honestly the only differences from the usual Merfolk list was that I had no Kiras, only 3 Vials, and 2 Mutavaults rather than 4.

There wasn't any special reason for cutting them rather than me being poor.

>Norin sisters splashing black for Bobs
how's that treating you?

Burnfag here. How do you guys feel about Grim Lavamancer in the current meta? I'm retooling my deck for next week, going back to RWg, and not totally sure.

I don't think its fast enough for burn in the current meta

>tfw playing Esper last night
Are you running Serum Visions or are you on the classic 26 land build?

25 lands 2 Serum

filenames

I'm playing 8 whack and as soon as my opponent sees the gobs dropping, they can quickly put down chalices preventing me from casting anything for 1, 2 or even both if they're lucky. I see other lists sideboarding shattering spree and smash to smithereens to fuck with artifacts but they're cmc 1/2 which my opponent is gonna block anyway if they know what I'm playing.
Could this be a decent substitute?
CMC 3 puts it outside the likely chalice desicion and the alternative is a nice if expensive cherry on top.

In what matchups are you seeing the chalices?

I feel like a goblin 3 drop might just be better for you.

If they're artifact-heavy, Shatterstorm is probably better and will kill both chalices

I'm running Cloudshift in my version of Norin Sisters so Ranger can be retriggered for 1.
Probably the closest you're gonna get.

Shattering Spree is your best bet. The original is countered but the replicated copies are put directly onto the stack and are not affected by Chalice.

Just run By Force
Brought it up in the last thread but everyone seemed to think Shattering Spree was better

I personally like it better because Chalice can't really counter it if you set the value higher.

Do you think modern would improve with a change in the format style; as in, have people bring three different modern decks and before a match begins, each player presents their deck lists and then each player bans a deck list from their opponent and then you'd pick which deck to play for the match out of the remaining two.

That is a terrible, terrible idea. I want you to think long and hard whenever you want to share an idea again.

Whats wrong with it?

A shitty esper deathblade is probably still the best deck in modern.

Obvious troll.

Not that user but firstly, between knowing the lists prior to round one and banning 1 of 3 decks it's just a completely different game. Secondly, this game is 3x as expensive as regular modern. It sounds like you're trying to port stage/character counterpicking from Smash into MtG.

You can't choose the same target twice so a chalice on 2 with no other artifact still beats it

How many people here play actual fair decks (mono green stompy / ponza / mono black devo / ect..)

I tested a bunch and they all felt lack luster, what are your experiences with them?

Ponza is not a fair deck. Monoblack devotion and monogreen stompy are not competitive modern decks.

Define, "Fair". I find, "Fair," to have a variety of interpretations. Burn and Jund (classic) are fair decks.

I don't play them, so my experience is running over them.

Ponza isn't a fair deck. Fair decks give you time to react to what your opponent is doing, and have opportunities to interact. Storm is the archetype unfair deck, it's fast and most colors can't interact on the stack. Abzan is a strong fair deck.

>hand rape
>""""""fair""""""""

>trade with 1-for-1 discard spells
>trade 1-for-1 removal
>play effecient threats

Doesn't get more fair than that. It's Magic at its most classic.

any living end players here?

Finished burn and skred, thinking about picking it up mainly because I have most of the mana already

Not really since it loses literally all the cards that make it good in legacy. Abzan would be a much better shell for stoneforge in modern

What deck would help someone to get better at playing?

Has Magic Duels improved any? It was almost unplayable for me.

An edh deck, you'll play a format where every mechanic is legal and every dumb interaction can become a deck.

EDH has that whole "table politics" thing going though. Play EDH like you would Standard / Modern / Legacy and you get labelled a no-fun tryhard.

Tempo decks

Grixis shadow is kind of on the border of being a tempo deck and requires careful usage of all resources available to you

Those are all upgrades I would get. There are match ups that are gonna be an L if you don't start with a vial. Mutavault has saved my life so many times

Thanks
Thanks, do you have more exemple of tempo decks?

Before I suggest some to you, are you playing these in paper or on simulators to practice?

Merfolk, you aren't doing anything spectacular but the combos are there and you have tools for almost every situation. It has few bad matchups

I approve of this suggestion.

Fug, someone in my play group started playing affinity and it's a horrible game. Although, using aether vial to play harbingers on their fatty mid swing feels nice

Thats a playgroup problem. I play mld, bloodmoons, and shit while some groups go into a panic over a tech edge.

Simulator, but i can get them on paper

>buy atraxa precon deck
>swap out a few cheap cards
>take to weekly commander night at LGS
>give atraxa double strike and hexproof, start wrecking
>the salt is palpable
And that was the last time I went to commander night.

Various UR lists, like Storm and Delver, will force you to use cantrips effectively and have a better understanding of your mana base.

I recommended Grixis Shadow because it forces you to use spells and creatures alongside a three-color mana base w/ graveyard and life total as resources.

Skred was my first paper deck, but I learned other decks with simulators. That deck, for exmaple, would be bad to learn with, because all it really cares about is creature control and dropping planeswalkers.

Thanks

For sure. Pretty much at the point where I just need to bite the bullet and buy the last pieces. More than anything right now I'm impressed that my half assed Merfolk deck managed to do as well as it did.

Stick with modern, sounds like your lgs's edh group are the dregs. 1v1 online sounds better than a craw wurm meta.

it wouldn't be good enough without Mom & the mana-denial package. i'd still run arbiters over sfm in modern because the effect is more powerful in the current meta.

maverick and bantblade would be good, though.

those decks don't play tarmogoyf, karn or liliana

I did a Skred is it shit