Really Shitty Bullshit edition

Previously: >Commander 2017 Spoilers
mythicspoiler.com/c17/index.html

>Latest Commander Ban Announcement
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18588

>Latest MTGO Banlist Update
wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/160343614814/update-mtgo-commander

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread Question:
What was your first Commander deck like?

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/deck/657357#paper
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/eat-your-veggies-2/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/breya-grave-combos/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>What was your first Commander deck like?
Garbage.

I wanna die, should I get back into WoW or pick up commander MtG? I wanna spend money on either of these

it was mizzex precon and it sucked dick

commander is fun if you have a good group

i dont know how fun wow is but in 2017, i'm guessing not much

Should play ffxi instead it was always the better game, you know 15 years ago when those games were playable.

It was a pretty fucking shit BW enchantment deck. It didn't have a commander that supported the deck, just something that allowed me to play those colors.

I have learned much in those two years.

Picture unrelated, but it's something going into my Sygg deck for giggles.

>Kaalia
Introduced my meta to EDH. Oppressive.
>Ghave
I was the only serious EDH player. Oppressive.
>Angus Mackenzie
Wanted to seem less oppressive. Oppressive.

3 years later, nothings changed but the commanders.

First one was Breya combo. It technically still works but there's more fluff in it than I'd like. Should probably just tear it apart at this point.

Which ones do your friends/local play group play?

Yeah, the deck was pretty awful out of the box. Still, at least it was easy to properly upgrade.

My first deck was an incoherent Karametra deck with an excessive amount of unhelpful equipment, specific cards I liked but are definitely not good (who runs Giant Growth in EDH? Hold the Line is jazzy, but not reliable, etc.), not nearly enough lands and no rocks.

Took a few tries for me to get into the swing of things.

Did the release of BW Daxos inspire a return to the deck? Lord knows the Atraxa release brought my attention back to Ghave after years of it collecting dust.

How.
How the fuck does someone build a Meren deck and not know that Meren can put cards in hand.
How did these people even get through primary school, let alone get to the point where they know the basics of Magic

I once built a Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius deck and got up to casting Curiosity on it in a game to realize that I had confused it with Firemind.

What are some good Gruul combos?

Gruul no like puny combo
True gruul smash!

Taigam is mai husbando

Help me pick my reboundable game winning spells, Veeky Forums!

Making every land you control a Mountain, and then unloading all your basics with a Valakut and 2 copies out

Conspired Tooth and Nail
t. Wort

Neither :((((

>group, although composed of old friends, has recently picked up a habit of holding grudges and making griefy decisions because of them
>got ultra triggered last session over some massive dick moves (potential storytime)
>had a genuinely shit session because of it
>decided that i need to showcase that i can be a dick too
>start theorycrafting a skithiryx deck out of my old monoblack remnants
>put together a list that can typically kill a player turn 4-6 and still hold out afterwards thanks to monoblack's abundance of mana, draw and control stuff
>would cost me 30 buckaroos, including shipping, to buy

should i pull the trigger? obviously not a lot of money but i still don't know if i want to put together a deck just to annoy the people i'm trying to have fun with

You may have a point there

Anyone know good sources for custom playmats?

Have you guys ever seen Defense of the Heart go off?

reconnaissance, time warp, call to mind

Never played magic before, but my DND playgroup convinced me to buy a precon deck
So it was oloro
First solo deck was vorosh the hunter, it was just bulk because I thought paying money for cards was dumb and was convinced that all cards were equally good.
That deck only won one game that involved waiting till it was 1v1 and death watching my opponent's Serra avatar and then killing it

Huh. Does */* count for less than 2 for Alesha?

I don't believe so, I'm almost 100% sure it checks lifetotal in every zone

You need call to mind and one of its lookalikes, but yes.

You can also use Maze of Ith as an 'alternate' for recon.

Problem is that I just care more about the game more than they do, so no matter who I run, it's generally better than theirs. I don't wanna be cancer, I just am.

I needed a low power deck and i chose this.
this is my deck so far
any ideas to make it not shit?
mtggoldfish.com/deck/657357#paper

Honestly, play the one that's has the higher potential for a social scene. If you wanna hit up a LGS, go for Magic (cuz solo MtG isn't a thing, unfortunately). If guilds are more your thing, do WoW.

Ezuri elves and it was POOP. I still have an elves deck because they hold a special place in ny heart but unless you get a nut draw that deck is doomed to second place in most games.

>thread question
2015 Boros
My suffering has not ended, but I've begun to enjoy it.

help me cut creatures from my saproling-devour-themed deck

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/eat-your-veggies-2/

Have you guys tried talking it out first? Arms races are bad enough as is. No need to add malice on top of it just cuz people are having communication problems.

Malignus+Xenagod

Your "combo" is just punching someone in the face as hard as possible

Darigaaz Goodstuff, great beatdowns with him, ramp, tutors, then I met Prossh.

>Borosachism

Go all out and add in black for that sensual self-harm.

It exiles itself, it can't Rebound. People have commented on Extra turn spells, but only a handful of those don't exile themselves, and most are expensive to purchase.

Reconnaissance seems good enough to try.

Call to Mind and Relearn could also be useful.

I feel like hitting the guy who does grudge plays with a 10/10 infect flier on turn 4 would be more fun though

Put better removal like Decimate in.

It was Sharuum.
I played in a group that usually played 4-6 player games, so I was a giant pillowfort with a few combos. Nobody ever bothered to attack me early game even though I almost always won at the end.

Just make a Malira deck. Don't try to win, just make it around summoning Malira, protecting Malira, and laughing at your opponent.

due to my sleep deprived prose, you misunderstand me. i meant that i will be the one who will hit him with the 10/10 infect flier

his grudge play was land destructing me, bringing me from 6 mana to 4 mana when i had 1 hand card and no nonlands on the board. every single other player had at least twice my permanents and hand cards. his reasoning? i destroyed his mana doublers earlier

My first deck was Teneb, he was brand new and exciting. Deck was actually pretty good with Recurring Nightmare, Protean Hulk, Survival and a bunch of neat fatties.

My first deck was Sydri, Galvanic Genius. It was fun, no fast mana or tutors, just big artifacts. The thing my friends complained about the most was the lifelink deathtouch darksteel forges that Sydri made. I think the only combo I had was some Sharuum Sculpting Steel combo in the 99.

sounds cringey to try and insert myself into a commander group, I might go the safer route and choose WoW

>Recurring Nightmare, Protean Hulk,

I mean, I know Hulk is unbanned now, but still.

>People have commented on Extra turn spells, but only a handful of those don't exile themselves
Savor the Moment, Plea for Power, Temporal Manipulation, Time Warp, Capture of Jingzhou, Walk the Aeons, Beacon of Tomorrows, Time Stretch

Walking into an LGS and asking if anyone wants to play isn't cringy; it's expected. That's what the store is for. Check to see if they have an EDH league or tournament scene. They're more and more popular these days. Hell, just walking in, watching some poeple play, and asking if you can catch the next game is the standard way of going about getting a group.

Don't forget about remand

Neither were banned at the time.

Those are extra turn cards that don't exile themselves. More than those that do (Temporal Mastery, Temporal Trespass, Expropriate, and Part the Waterveil) and I also shouldn't have included Beacon of Tomorrows, as it puts itself back in the deck, but still, there are plenty of options.

kiki + conscripts is mono red but gets the job done

new guy combos with him too

Problem is, most of them are very expensive (to me). I also kind of dislike taking extra turns on a multiplayer game: it just makes the game boring for the other players.

Probably something you can do with earth craft and red tokens/untaps

i used to have this gruul wort combo deck that didnt have any straight up "i have these 2 cards in play so i win" combos but any time i got to untap with wort in play it was pretty much gg, all the cards in the deck either made tokens, made mana, or drew cards, and many different ways of turn tokens into mana or turning tokens into cards

>5 mana is expensive
Fuck outta here Spike, this is a Timmy only thread.

Is EDH a good format for someone who has next to no MTG experience? And where should I go for beginner resources? I know the basic mechanics but not things like how each commander plays and such.

I'm almost tempted to scrap together a janky Breya token deck with Panharmonicon, Marionette Master and other artifact token generators and sac outlets.

Honestly, just ask here. People are going to be dicks to you, but there isn't really a "Big Book of EDH Generals." Use EDHrec to get an idea of what commanders are played, the majority is pretty good at picking out what's good from what's bad, at least in general terms. And yes, EDH is probably going to be better as your first format than any other except maybe Pauper, just because you can make a half decent deck out of cards you have lying around.

Or cards your friends have lying around, or cards your older siblings have lying around, or that your dad gave you in a big box of his old stuff, or that you found for 5 bucks at a yard sale.

He's not much of a spike when his second sentence is all about his concern for the other players.

Well I have maybe 200 cards from a 5 dollar grab bag I got at my lgs and most seem useless so I'm more or less starting from scratch. A friend of mine suggested buying one of the 2013 Precons, Mind Seize iirc, but wouldn't buying singles for a real deck be a better deal/stronger as a whole or is that particular Precon great or something?

Oh fugg I want that in Zada

>untapping Krenko and making a fuckbillion more Goblins for second combat

The only thing that's particularly good about Mind Seize is that it includes a card that's about $25.

It was like any other person's first deck; I had like seven archetypes that didn't work together at all and the bigger the creature's CMC, the better it was. Pic related, tribal shitshow...

Mind Seize is the Jeleva 2013 Precon. It's not that great. Jeleva is commonly regarded as a Tier 1 commander, but that's almost entirely because of her Grixis identity. As says, the only good thing about it is True-Name Nemesis.

As for buying your deck card by card, that's good once you've got a handle on EDH, but your first deck is most likely going to be shit, and if you drop money on singles you're going to end up with some buyer's remorse. The only thing that you can buy without that is staples, like Sol Ring and Command Tower which should go in just about every deck, but those are in all of the precons.

I'd recommend giving a serious thought to what color combination or what playstyle you'd like to play around with, and also to always try out your decks for a few turns in a program before you buy cards.

precons are a good start for someone who can't into deckbuilding at all. though you can make some seriously powerful decks for cheap if you start from scratch.

This combo requires a lot of pieces but my favorite is:

Borborygmos Enraged enchanted with Keen Sense/Snake Umbra + Abundance

Every time you discard a land and bolt a player, you can name land off the Abundance trigger, reveal until you hit one, draw it, then discard to bolt a player. Rinse and repeat. Equip Grafted Exoskeleton for spice.

who fucked up that card like that. thank god it wasn't a card thats in demand

I'm fine with net decking if it's cheaper and better so I don't have to be the greatest deck builder right now. The playstyle thing I'm unsure of, when I played Yugioh I preferred lockdown and mastubatory combo decks so either or both of those styles.
Or some huge solitaire combo that ends in a lock.

You should buy the Derevi precon, Evasive Maneuvers.

Buy the noWhite precon, it has a ugly ogre motherfucker as the main commander.

I think Scion was my first CMD even though i made a proxy Athreos to see how CMD works so i think that don't count

how cheap are you willing to go? because here's my breya deck and it's pretty much the definition of masturbatory combo. it is also 200 on tcg, which is not that bad comparatively.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/breya-grave-combos/

user believe me, there are lot more worst cards to be defaced

Building this dude. What's some good self-mill in grixis? I got some wheel effects and entomb/buried alive, is there anything else I should take note of?

mesmeric orb is a great mill card. conjurers closet to keep up to one creature you unearth every turn

I'd consider buying one of the current run of Commander precons if you can find one:

Breed Lethality
>Atraxa $18
>Reyhan $8
>Deepglow Skate $7
>Kalonian Hydra $5
>Crystalline Crawler $4
>Scaveging Ooze $3
>Reveilark $3
>Sol Ring $3
>Cauldron of Souls $3
>Duelist's Heritage $3
>Ash Barrens $3
>Underground River $3

Entropic Uprising
>Vial Smasher $11
>Yidirs $10
>Chromatic Lantern $9
>Thrasios $8
>Wheel of Fate $5
>Waste Not $4
>Kydele $3
>Burgeoning $3
>Chaos Warp $3
>Curtains Call $3
>Sol Ring $3
>Ash Barrens $3
>Reliquary Tower $3

Invent Superiority
>Breya $12
>Bruse Tarl $6
>Solemn Simulacrum $4
>Magus of the Will $4
>Master of Etherium $4
>Daretti $3
>Baleful Strix $3
>Silas $3
>Sol Ring $3
>Ash Barrens $3

Open Hostility
>Conquerer's Flail $8
>Ravos $6
>Tymna $5
>Stonehoof Chieftain $5
>Lighting Greaves $4
>Iroas $4
>Sol Ring $3
>Ash Barrens $3

Stalwart Unity is the only one that doesn't have much in the way of top dollar cards, but it does have a fair amount of $2-$3 so that it's still easily above MSRP.

regular looting effects are solid like faithless looting and careful study, im also big fan of thirst for knowledge and compulsive research, more so than normal looting because they keep my hand full while i pitch only the fatties

you can never go wrong with fact or fiction. in my sedris deck, my playgroup has started giving me 0-5 fact or fiction splits because its impossible to come up with piles that dont benefit me

i also have a foil sphinx of uthuun (aka sphinx of fact or fiction) that puts in work for the same reason. i love to discard and reanimate him in the early game to set up my hand and gy for later when sedris comes down

one underrated guy i like is combustible gearhulk. my sedris deck has lots of 6 mana fatties and such so people cant really afford to choose the mill option, there's too high a chance that i dome them for 10 and put a fatty in the yard, so im getting an easy draw 3 whenever i trigger him

this might be an unpopular opinion but i actually dont recommend running teferi's veil and sundial of the infinite in sedris. it IS sweet to be able to keep things you unearth, but it feels like too many moving parts for me, i prefer to just unearth etb effects that are so good i dont need them to stick around, such as bogardan hellkite, duplicant, rune-scarred demon, etc. because that way all my cards are good and effective even if sedris is offline. it just feels terrible to have win more jank in your hand like sundial when your opponents are trying to shut down your main game plan

on the other hand, conjurer's closet, ghostly flicker/displace and such DO seem worth it because they can value ultra hard when your unearth game is going but they dont suck and rot in your hand when things are slower for you. you can ghostly flicker your bone shredder and mulldrifter in the early game, and later on you're unearthing an inferno titan for 3 damage, swinging for 9, and then flickering for another 3, and keeping your titan for next turn

Thanks a bunch for the advice. In addition to Conjurer's Closet, I'm also liking Mimic Vat. Getting to re-unearth stuff seems pretty sick.

Don't just self-mill, take advantage of Grixis' array of fine "Draw, discard" or similar spells to fill your graveyard.

>Ancient Excavation
>Breakthrough
>Careful Study
>Cathartic Reunion
>Compulsive Research
>Drastic Revelation
>Faithless Looting
>Forbidden Alchemy
>Frantic Search
>Ideas Unbound
>Izzet Charm
>Probe
>Pull from Tomorrow
>Pulse of the Grid
>Read the Runes
>Shattered Perception
>Thirst for Knowledge
>Tolarian Winds

Don't forget Frantic Search

mimic vat is insanely good, and it also has the side benefit that grixis's removal options are slightly weak to enchantments and you can use mimic vat to get reclamation sage and acidic slime triggers from your opponents' decks

This is looking like it's going to be extremely good in Sedris. Not only does it reduce it down to 1B for every Unearth, Sedris and other Zombies can dig for fuel.

Honestly, you're probably better off focusing on Rith or Ghave as a commander. Most of the fungus cards are just too slow to actually pay off unless it's psychotrope thallid in a Rith deck. Between Rith and Ghave its really down to playing combo with Ghave vs something more punchy with Rith.

It can also become combo-mill in the right circumstances.

Stalwart Unity is great for tearing apart to make a Zedruu or Phelddagrif deck, and that's really about it.

I read that original reply as user meaning expensive as in money, not mana cost.

My first commander deck was Devour for Power. I havent rebuilt jello man since

Is chrome mox worth playing in commander ?

First commander deck was Hazezon Tamar warrior tribal. It ran a bunch of just generally lackluster warriors just to stay on theme. It could win, but it was only so-so at ramping, tutoring, and consistently getting out the pieces it needs to go off. I have of course massively updated it over time to what it is now. Save for a few expensive cards, or anything strictly better that gets printed in the future, I consider it finished.

Intet Dragon Tribal. I just crammed a bunch of dragons into it, most of which were just big flying beaters. It was... well, the initial version definitely did not play well.

I've refined it multiple times since then, and it's gotten much better. All of my dragons either do something when they ETB or when they attack/damage, plus the mana fixing is much better. There are a few cards I still need to replace, but it's a pretty solid deck and wins more often than not since its last revision. I actually won tonight with multiple combat steps from Hellkite Charger and Commander Damage against a very good Trostani deck.

no, imprinting your shit is dumb
run mox opal or diamond before chrome