media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/:
How excited are you about the upcoming Chult adventure?

Other urls found in this thread:

thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com.br/2015/12/rage-of-demons-guide-to-out-of-abyss.html
dmsguild.com/product/187879/Out-of-the-Abyss-DMs-Kit--Screen
goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2015/01/d100-minor-magical-items.html
occultesque.com/2017/05/1d100-magical-trinkets.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

My dick is ready for a Jurassic Park campaign.

What's a good name for a High Priest of Torm?

I need items, magical items for a Hexblade warlock!
Suggestions are fine please and thank you.

Kinda excited I guess, dinotopia and shit

Is any of the third party shit like the Deep Magic pdfs interesting/balanced? Also are they considered homebrew like the horrible kickstarted touch of ass?

Skippy

From previous thread, thought I'd ask my question again for this one. Any recommendations on decent campaigns that could work well with only a GM, 1 player and a GM PC? A girl I've been talking to has expressed interest in playing and I thought I'd show her the ropes with just the two of us before moving onto a larger group campaign.

thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com.br/2015/12/rage-of-demons-guide-to-out-of-abyss.html

I just spent an additional $20 on OotA supplementary materials. Haven't gone through it yet, but this one looks super helpful, even if I only use it for the super handy search indexes included for NPCs and other shit in the book.

dmsguild.com/product/187879/Out-of-the-Abyss-DMs-Kit--Screen

A hat that absorbs 1 ranged attack per day, but it flies off. (and might get lost)

A duster that gives +1 charisma and +1 HP per hit die.

A manual of handgun customization and repair, but also inflicts a measure of obession and perfectionism in the reader. (You are willing to pull several guns apart for the absolute best part of each gun).

An amulet that gives you a bonus during high noon, but cursese you if you spend a high noon without firing your gun at an opponent.

A wild horse that blows steam out of its nose.

A lasso that attracts trains towards anyone hogtied in it.

Some call him... Tim?

>A lasso that attracts trains towards anyone hogtied
I would unironically love an item like this in game.

What happened to weird weapon damage dice?
Why no 3d4 or other such nonsense?

>A lasso that attracts trains towards anyone hogtied in it.

Mole teeth amulet, when worn allows one to get a full night’s rest while sleeping on dirt.

Tongue piercing, prevents demons from detecting the wearer’s lies.

Spectacles of colored glass, allow one to see lingering spirits and hidden poltergeists.

Talking, sentient hat with excellent (antiquated) fashion sense.

Ring of stone, can light and extinguish candles from up to 30 ft away.

Silver flute, summons a gremlin with a goblet of seltzer water.

Pseudo-holy water, turns to salt when poured on a cursed object.

River stones, when dropped into water turn it to whiskey.

Pair of boots, walk the wearer home if they pass out.

What are some minor magical items I can give to a party of around level 2-3 because I fucked up and offered it as a reward

Some effect that would be useful to have, but wouldn't just be a +1. Things like

>A hammer that, when the command word is spoken, ignites a small flame. The flame is not hot to the touch and doesn't burn anything but can be used as a torch

Little magical effects that are cool but wouldn't be directly beneficial in combat like a +1 since it's a bit early for it

Why do most level 20 bonuses seem "late" and underwhelming?

Most of them should've been edited to giving their bonus over time. Like the Sorcerer regaining 4 sorcery points on a short rest. Could've been +1 at each of the usual level-ups (4/8/12/16/etc).

Most other classes suffer from similar things you could bitch about with the level 20 bonus.

>Hey we need some level 20 stuff
>Why bother when nobody plays that high?
>We gotta put it in jim

They want to give you powerful end-game progression but yes, they all come far too late. Warlock comes to mind as one of the biggest offenders.

Off the top of my head.. Barbarian, Cleric, Druid, Wizard, Paladin and Artificer have good ones. They all tie into the class and give serious mechanical impact or the ability to just do something awesome (Cleric).

Though even worse are when subclasses get trash capstones. Battlemaster is terrible in every ability after 3, meanwhile Champion sucks at 3 but has one of the greatest passive abilities in the game as a capstone.

Nobody plays at level 20 anyway, so they just didn't bother.

They seem late because if they gave the bonus out as a tiered progression, it would feel even more underwhelming when hitting the cap, and reward multiclassing more.

4 sorcery points in a short rest isn't a huge deal, but compared to 3, it's almost literally nothing. There would be no good reason to take sorcerer to 20 instead of multiclassing.

To fix both problems, I just take capstones and give them as tiered bonuses throughout all levels, but only to single-classed characters. AKA a 5th level sorcerer gets 1 sorcery point per short rest, but a 5th level sorcerer 1st level warlock does not.

Because it's nonsense. Closest you'll get is 2d6.

It's rare but it does happen, I've had 2 games since release that went to 20.

The first one still had shit to do so we spent about 4-5 sessions at level 20 for the big final ending. The game's actually alright at high level play from what I experienced.

see
Also somethings that we've gotten in our campaign that are cool and we use often are magic gauntlets that offer advantage on x skill check if condition x is met. Like advantage of nature checks or persuasion attempts involving money [this is pretty much nessacary since we didn't find out we had to finance the expedition we are on ourselves until we were already a week outside the last major city at the edge of an empire]

Or an itme that give a boon like your crawl speed matches your normal movement speed or wild animals wont attack you unless commanded or provoked.

could always give them a magic item that has the sole property that it emits a harmless and small amount of magic but serves no other purpose.

list

magically hot pepper seeds

a telescope that lets you see another dimension overlaying your own.

A waterskin that never runs out of cheap booze

>How excited are you about the upcoming Chult adventure?
Eh; not very, but enough that I'll check it out.

I'm still waiting on adventure paths set in the locales I'm more actively interested in; we'll see if such things ever come.

I've posted these before because I like them.

goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2015/01/d100-minor-magical-items.html
occultesque.com/2017/05/1d100-magical-trinkets.html

Not in the slightest honestly, I would rather a setting guide or a crunch book over another adventure. When do we heard more about the upcoming books again?

What are some of the easiest adventures for nooby DM to run? I heard phandelver is good, what else?

Check the DMG for the minor magical effects tables before the magic items. Steal the LoTR magic items that glow in the presence of certain enemies. Give them a magic item that grows with them arbitrarily (it's just a magic sword, no bonus to start out with aside from magic damage). Make the weapon attune to the wielder and fly to their hand on command.

Sunless Citadel got a conversion to 5e, I've wanted to try that out sometime

Sunless Citadel is a classic and really good. Gives the party lots of options to deal with problems and there's some unique fights.

Kek.

A campaign making it to 16 or 17 isn't terribly uncommon in my groups, but we basically never hit 20.

I do feel like more adventures spanning Levels 6-15 in ~200 hours of gameplay (What I'd consider the average length of a campaign) would be very welcome though.

I hear you. I'm of the opinion that the math for skills is much better at 17 than it is the rest of the game, unfortunately.

And it still seems pretty reasonable for the in-combat stuff (Skills are a bit iffy with a potential proficiency gap of 11 or 12 though)

I rolled up a mountain dwarf abjuration wizard. what are some must-have spells and stuff to make a tanky wizard character useful?

Shield, Absorb Elements, Mage Armor. Done.

Mirror image is extremely powerful.

What if I want to get into melee combat? A wizard's gonna run out of spells eventually, right?

>Setting Guide
I just use the old setting guides. I use the Grand History of the Realms + FRCS + PGFR + Underdark + Demihuman Deities + Faiths & Pantheons + Faiths & Avatars + Whatever Regional or Faction book applies.

I mean, I could definitely go for 5e versions of the 2e and 3e FR character options (Crunch Book); but if it's a setting book I would want it to give me something of real value, not just be a reprint of the same stuff I already have: new region; newly detailed faction; *Something*.

But D&D has always had a shortage of decent official adventures; especially ones lasting more than a couple levels, so more of them is welcome.

ask if you can play a bladesinger and do that

Don't. Use cantrips. Or whatever 0 level spells are called in 5e.

If you want to go into melee combat, you need to pick up Bladesinger archetype. But it still does far more to boost your defences, than your offense. You will never even get close to the damage fighter and paladin can dish out, and it's better this way.

Anons? If we got a Sigil Adventurer's Guide, do you think we could get new races in it?

If yes, what ones? The Planescape PHB first came with the Tiefling, Githzerai and Bariaur, whilst the Planewalker's Handbook added the Aasimar, Genasi and Rogue Modron. We've got half of those races already in 5e.

>I just use the old setting guides. I use the Grand History of the Realms + FRCS + PGFR + Underdark + Demihuman Deities + Faiths & Pantheons + Faiths & Avatars + Whatever Regional or Faction book applies.
Same, I want a new setting though. Something different.

There does seem to be a swell of third party content recently though, most of it's trash but hopefully someone makes something decent.

I can only assume you don't play the game.

I'm aware of the bladesinger archetype, was just hoping there was other ways to do a close range tank mage.

>How excited are you about the upcoming Chult adventure?
Eh.

It's no Urban Waterdeep Sandbox Guild Adventure.

I could also go for Halruaan Intrigue; or Something in the city of Shade; or Something set in Ancient Netheril; or Something set in other interesting past time periods. The Crown Wars, Creator Races, The Age Where Dragons Ruled, The Height of Myth Drannor, or what have you.

There's a goldmine of adventure materials I'd buy the fuck out of.

Chult? I guess it could be alright. I'm not exactly what I'd call "excited" though.

Shocking Grasp and Sword Burst. Either that or just use GFB and BB.

Why? There are free materials online.

Is PAM worth it on a Kensai? It seems like the reaction attack could be good and once I get the +3 Weapon ability it would carry onto my bonus action attack.

Tiefling with fighter dip for profs and weapon style, or Variant Human with Heavily armored feat for Hexblade?

>swell of third party content
Which third party content do you mean? the bits of FR setting stuff on DMs Guild?

>New Setting
Ah. I don't really care if I get a new setting. If it's good I'd use it, otherwise I'd ignore it. I'm liking that Faerun is finally getting module support. I like that they've realized Pathfinder's model of selling adventures is a good idea, rather than whatever the fuck WotC was doing in 3e, which has like what - 2 full sized adventures?

Also, apparently Setting Books never sold very well.

I'd be pretty hyped for a 5e Planescape Adventure, or a 5e Spelljammer adventure though.

Hell, even a 5e Ravnica or Lorwyn or Theros or (Ancient Past) Tarkir AP could be pretty sweet.

Kensai 1.0 absolutely.

Kensai 2.0, ehhhhhhhhhhh

Convenience, low prices, and good customer reviews on the stuff I bought.

Also, the parts of the review I've heard are weak, people have expanded on those.

Like Gracklstugh being restructured; or more fleshed out "Random Encounters" sections to use in the campaign. (Those are the main areas I've seen expanded)

It's not like they were expensive.

And yeah, I will go through and use a bunch of the free stuff, too.

*Parts of the adventure I've heard are weak in reviews

V.Human, though it's not really needed because you could take any feat, have 14 DEX and get a better feat easily.

Are you doing a Cursebringer build?

>Ravnica or Lorwyn or Theros or (Ancient Past) Tarkir
All good ones, the Zendikar art book has some interesting lore that tie into things and gives dungeon ideas. Issue is Zendikar is basically Eldrazi and they're a hard thing to balance PC's fighting.

Lorwyn was my favorite setting ever made, issue is they say the "Lack of any humans alienated players" or some shit and bascially said they'll never touch it again. Theros is kinda bland.

Ravnica could be an interesting one, any city plane could be refluffed into it pretty easy.

Tarkir would be amazing for D&D. Fighting mongol Orcs riding giant boars, Snake people sacrificing people in jungles, Djini Monks in their mountain temples... Fuck I'm actually considering making the game I'll be running set there.

Yep, Cursebringer. Which is the only reason I'm even in the predicament. Makes me too MAD for my liking without some min/maxing.

Starting an assassination rogue next week, how important are utilizing poisons and does anyone have any interesting Homebrew poisons I might convince my Gm to allow?

If I wanted to be a Gunslinger character, should I just roll a gunsmith character or go EB Warlock with some fluff (that my DM would allow)

>Lorwyn was my favorite setting ever made, issue is they say the "Lack of any humans alienated players" or some shit and bascially said they'll never touch it again.
Thats a shame. I fucking loved Lorwyn.

I want to be teleporting as much as I can.
Is being a nomad mystic my best option?

Would it be a bad thing if we changed their modifier to wis?

Yeah it does, I'd go pure Warlock and take Heavy Armour.

Play any martial and ask to use the gun rules in the DMG, or play a Gunsmith Artificer.

The problem is that the crafting rules as written are such garbage and the only poisons you'd likely have time to craft would be basic ones. But their DC's are so easy to beat they're irrelevant. And the damage they do if failed is negligible. Plus they take an action to apply, and wear off rather quickly (from your weapons, that is). Not to mention so many things resist poison or are just straight up immune to it.

If your DM is a cool guy, tell him you're interested in brewing potions and ask him to have fun with coming up with recipes and special poisons you can make.

I don't really care for Gunsmith. It's too magic artificer-y.

I'd probably try to get the GM to allow multishot (or quickloading, so you're getting your multiple attacks a round) firearms on a fighter, maybe Battlemaster.

If concerns about damage output being high are brought up I'd point at Warlock.

EB Warlock.
Your focus (what you use to fire your EB shots) is a broken pistol you were gonna use to take your own life. It jammed on you. And at that moment, a demon appeared offering you a deal to improve your life.

>If concerns about damage output being high are brought up I'd point at Warlock.
Except Warlock does lower damage in it's base, doesn't have +2 on attack rolls, Sharpshooter and is only d10?

Personally I'd rather give Rogue proficiency with guns and leave it at that. Higher damage then it's other options but it has the obvious gun drawbacks.

Refluff a Handcrossbow.

Edgy.

You betcha, kid.

With all this talk about guns and warlocks, how would one use the arcane gunslinger invocation effectively?

I'm trying to think of a weapon that gets stronger the more things it kills. Which one do you think would be better, /5eg/, a weapon that gets stronger every few kills, but resets after a while, or a sword that needs a LOT of kills for each upgrade but keeps the upgrades permanently?

But it scales to quite a bit, with all those extra rays, plus you realistically add knockback to them after a few levels, letting you use it to push people off cliffs at best, or at worst, kite them and give the group a huge advantage.

Stronger every few kills. That way it ramps up the longer a battle takes.

Well it's made for modern games, so summon an automatic weapon and fuck people up I guess?

Never, ever, ever give PC's the second one. You just don't. They will become insane cultists killing thousands of innocents for their sword powers.

homebrew so that you can add your charisma modifier to the shots.

The only way you do the second one is if you curse the sword so that at a certain point it's so bloodthirsty it kills the user.

These are both excellent points. Thanks!

WebDM talked about a beefy intelligent sword that only granted magic when fed innocent lives on a quasi regular basis. That sounded pretty fun.

I think something with a temporary effect would be more reasonable though something that scales indefinitely would obviously be stronger.

V.Human Sharpshooter Fighter at level 5 with a Rifle. 2d12+8+20 damage with +4 Attack.

Warlock does 2d10+8 with +7 Attack.

So it's an average of 41 versus 19... If you add Hex then Warlock goes up to 26 but then Battlemasters get Superiority Dice.

The balancing fact to Ranged weapons getting such a good Fighting Style is the fact melee Fighters can use a 1d12 or 2d6 die... Giving that to Ranged Fighter's is just silly when they normally need to invest a feat to get more then 1d8.

Shadow Monk.

They have at-will teleportation, and gain advantage in the next attack from using it.

>They will become insane cultists killing thousands of innocents for their sword powers
And that would be.... Bad?

But think of all the fun adventuring that could lead to.

Hmm. Fair points. I hadn't expected the gap to be that big.

Eh on the first version of the Kensai it might work.

On the second you can forget it.

The second is best used with a Whip, Longsword, Hand Crossbow or Longbow with ranged weapons getting far better support.

Zaindir.

The problem is this requires darkness...
Unfortunately I don't see that being very common in this campaign.

I'm thinking of trying to use something with blink perhaps? I had considered perhaps trickery cleric/monk. Or trickery cleric/rogue.

All Shadow Monk needs is dim light. You just need it to be anything besides High Noon for that. Just step into the shadow of a building and you're set

I'm sadly the second because it is better balanced and actually works.

I guess I'll go with my backup option, two daggers and asking my DM if I can change my bonus action punch to dagger stabs for the same damage.

Any good feats for that or should I just play a non-human?

Thoughts on my custom Artificer Mechanical servant I made a while ago?

>sharpshooter is overpowered
>who knew
You are kind of an idiot, if you as a GM, doesn't make sure to either tweak everyone around a GWM/SS, or nerf those feats.

Because you, me and everyone else, is fully aware of how much it skews the damage, and far too quickly. I tend to now allow it until 12th level at least, on grounds that no, you are not any kind of master or sharpshooter at level fucking 1.

That has helped being the balance much closer. Martials are still best early, but not by *too much*, and once the casters get going, the martials get access to GWM/SS/equivalent feat based on their chosen weapon

>I tend to now allow it until 12th level at least
I do the same thing except I found level 8 works best. If I'm having a discussion about damage comparisons in the game I'm not going to shove my houserules in though.

Plus, everything has been formatted in a way that makes it convenient for me to print out, stick in a binder or a series of duotangs, and (if desired), to highlight the important bits and whatnot.

Mobile is always good.

Ritual Caster (Cleric) is great for party support.

My advice to you tho is to use a Longsword as your main Melee weapon and Darts as your mair ranged weapon since they don't require any additional actions to draw two of them on your turn and it's easy to switch your grip with a longsword to a onehanded one so you can use both.
Grab the Sharpshooter feat and you are on a roll.

Blade Mastery is also a good feat for Kensai monks.

If your DM allows you UA multiclass then grab the Hunter Conclave Revised ranger for 3 or 4 levels since the combo is pretty great with Colossus Slayer netting you a 1d8 damage bonus per turn as well as Favoured Enemy (Humanoids) netting you an additional +2 damage and Great Weapon Fighter or Dueling giving you an effective +2 boost as well.

Rules on oil consumption, please.

Hmm I seem to have lost the final draft of this but if I remember correctly the idea was that the flame belch consumed a gallon as a cost and at the start of each turn you needed to roll a d6, on a 1(fail) a gasket would blow and trigger the faulty seal ability

Does Arcane Archer damage from the Arrows crti? What about the AoE damage from the Evocation one?

AOE damage is save or suck. Since there's no attack roll for it then it can't crit.

>You imbue your arrow with a blast of force energy drawn from the school of evocation. If the arrow hits a creature, the target and each creature within 10 feet of it takes 2d6 force damage. The force damage increases to 4d6 when you reach 18th level with this class.

No save and it is part of the attacks damage... So I've got no fucking idea desu.

Ran into this last game I personally ruled against it and said I'd look more into it after the game. I think i'm going to let it crit from now on though.

Personally I'd say it does, but probably not meant to. If it really became an issue then I'd just say the Crit damage only works on the original target. So he takes 4d6 and everyone else 2d6.

any stupid oversights in the original source for 5e (non ua) i should know about? anything particularly broken that I should look over before i dm 5e for the first time?

Sharpshooter, Great Weapon Master, and Polearm Master are all waaaay overpowered, particularly at the low levels.

Most of the broken stuff aside from is broken too weak, not broken too strong.

Particularly the PHB Ranger, 4 Elements Monk, and Sorcerer.

Warlock is reasonably effective, but boring and repetitive.

Skillchecks: Make sure you use group skillcheck rules for "whole group needs to pass" scenarios, like group stealth; and make sure you only allow a single check (with other players assisting) for "Knowledge and Information" checks for the group, such as Investigation and Arcana. The math if you allow everyone to roll individually in either situation is bullshit.

Thanks for the advice.. maybe I can find some uses for airborne poisons that won't kill everything and fuck over my party in the process