"Good idea, Bad idea" thread

GOOD IDEA
>Here's a detailed description of my homebrew race's way of life, politics and social groups within
BAD IDEA
>Here's a detailed description of my homebrew race's mating habits

GOOD IDEA
>I want to GM a realistic, gritty, down-to-earth campaign
BAD IDEA
>...in D&D

GOOD IDEA
>I've made some rule changes to fit the kinds of games we prefer
BAD IDEA
>I've made some rule changes by taking mechanics from a bunch of games I like and mashing them together

GOOD IDEA
>I'll let you shape up the game's world however your characters want to.
BAD IDEA
>..And by that I mean that I haven't prepared anything and you'll be doing all the work for me

GOOD IDEA
>I want to run a horror campaign
BAD IDEA
>I will allow PCs to be amoral combat monsters that are willing to sacrifice anyone to stay alive

Good Idea
>I want to run a spooky horror campaign, with very real chances of death.
Bad idea
>We'll be using Pathfinder with one or two houserules to make it better suited for horror. Start at level 7.
Worse idea
>No character building limitations.

Probably the least spooky horror game I've ever been a part of. The whole group getting kicked out of the DM's house was worth it though.

>Probably the least spooky horror game I've ever been a part of. The whole group getting kicked out of the DM's house was worth it though

Storyteim? Can't leave us hang'n like that bro.

Not too much of a story desu. We rolled up 2 Wizards, a Cleric, and a Druid and basically steamrolled over his spooky horror game, which mostly involved us getting railroaded through narrow corridors while spooky monsters popped out of the walls and got disintegrated by our overpowered party.

Not that it would have been scary anyways, since there wasn't any subtleness or spooky stuff. If he didn't advertise it as a spooky horror game, I would have thought it was just a completely normal dungeon crawl game.

It ended with a fight against a monster "made of your worst nightmares" in a big room that if I were playing a video game I would have spotted as a "BOSS FIGHT IN HERE" area. Said nightmare beast got surrounded by the Druid, the Cleric, the Druid's pet, and about 5 monsters picked at random from the Summon Monster list and they basically gangraped it, which is about the point the DM got pissed and kicked us out. It was amusing in a "We didn't even pretend we're taking this seriously" sense.

BAD IDEA
How is this bad?
I mean, they might be off the wall monsters, how does a bee-people mating work? Or spider-people?
Does it mean if I get down to snus-snuss I will snuff-snuff?

it's bad because it's 1) irrelevant in most of the games 2) probably requires Ld checks to read

As said, the examples here are a bit more important, since y'know, if we go for the animal they're based off, i feel it'd be important to make sure the players know the reproductive cycle of their species they're playing includes them dying.

The GM doesn't need to know how your race fucks. It's not important for the game at large. If there's something weird about it, cover it in a footnote. You don't need 6 paragraphs of it.
>When these guys fuck the dude dies.
There. Done. That's all anyone needs to know.

GOOD IDEA
>I want to play Vampire

BAD IDEA
>In a LARP

I've got first-hand experience with that...

nigga I just got back from a larp where that worked out perefctly

I'm not asking for a 2h national geographic documentary buddy, said bad idea can be done tastefully unless you're a mentally handicapped and socially nulled retard.

Honestly this isn't really that bad as long as it's like how courtship works or the social ramifications of two or three types of marriages or the likes.

Mating habits aren't bad and in some cases are useful to know. Like, are they more aggressive during mating season? Are they monogamous? Do they pair for life? If sentient do they marry?

Now detailed description of the race's breeding habits and accompanying genitalia

Why there are so many idiots in this thread?

Two bad ideas there champ.

Did you discuss mating habits?

Gotta disagree with your "good idea" of designing a race.
GOOD IDEA
>Here's a description of my homebrew race's inspirations, role, abilities, and personalities
BAD IDEA
>Here's a detailed description of my homebrew race's way of life, politics and social groups within, and mating habits

>I will allow PCs to be amoral combat monsters that are willing to sacrifice anyone to stay alive

Specially in a horror campaign, this seems kinda resonable and maybe fun, both for DM and players.

>GOOD IDEA
>>I want to GM a realistic, gritty, down-to-earth campaign
>BAD IDEA
>>...in D&D

It's actually not that bad, with low level characters. If you prefer rolling a d20, it's pretty easy to adapt the basic D&D rules to just about anything.

GOOD IDEA
>Let's play a low-fantasy privateer campaign
BAD IDEA
>starting at level 1, and you have to buy your own ship first

GOOD IDEA
>Hexcrawl
BAD IDEA
>sandbox

GOOD IDEA
>Reading the mechanics section of Manual of Exalted Power: Infernals
BAD IDEA
>Reading the fluff section of Manual of Exalted Power: Infernals