How would you run an SMT game?

How would you run an SMT game?

how would YOU run an SMT game?
theres a homebrew class for dnd 5e for persona user, but ive also wondered about an SMT game. id love to summon demons and stop the apocalypse or some shit

That's rough. Do it in the DDS style, where the players ARE the demons- why? Because ordinary SMT combat, where the players are summoners, would be a pain. Can you imagine how long combat would take if every player had 4 minions that could attack each turn?

That post isn't to say that ordinary, demon-summoning couldn't be a thing. You'd just have to restrict the amount players can use. SMT is pretty diverse in terms of settings. We have:
>International Military Team goes to Antarctica to prevent the end of the world, fights demons
>Battle Royale in a sealed city between Samurai from a not-so-medieval kingdom, the Yakuza, A cult, people just trying to survive, angels and demons
>Anything Raidou Kuzunoha ever

Probably instead of letting the players just straigth up summon the demons, make it so that depending on the roster they have available to them at the time, they'd syphon strength/abilities from them. Each encounter would be possible to convince the demon to join you or just you know, stuff them into your demon bag or what have you. Also you could probably interact with the demons you have on you at any given point. Fusion stays more or less the same, I think.

Of course, syphoning the souls and strengths of demons for yourself can be quite dangerous and your will must be strong. I think I'd also like to give them the option to let the demon out in a sort of last gamble type thing whereas the demon would go hog wild on whatever he enemy is and then imediately dissapear.

Also YHVH is a dick as usual, so is Lucifer and demon negotiation is hilariously weird

What is the difference between SMT and Persona?

In persona you're pretty much essentially fighting for the good side, and it's a lot more about humans and their relationships with each other. The personas themselves are just manifestations of the collective unconciousness and strenghten with your relationships with others. Also you're a high school student with all that implies for the setting and tone.

In megaten there are real ass real demons from fucking hell and heaven, you're not locked into any side and can make your own path to chaos, law or kick everyone's ass for supremacy and often shit gets pretty apocalyptic. And people are in risk of death much more often, often at their own hands or at the random wandering demons'

couldnt you use something like PTU

SMT:
>focus on Law-Chaos conflict
>trust no one, not even yourself
>anyone can die abruptly and without a notice
>you can't afford to waste time
>pro-choice
>humans, angels and demons are often just as bad as each other
>your team usually consists of hardened people ready to deal with demons or demons themselves

Persona:
>"we're good and they are evil"
>Friends are great! We're having fun! Social Links! I've got to tolerate this idiot's nonsense to further my Arcana!
>if there's a major death, it's usually drawn out and "dramatic"
>Do your homework! Hang out with friends! Have fun! Legalize gay marriage! It's not like you've got to save the world!
>no-choice
>Your friends are great human beings and will never betray you! Shadows are big and bad and you should never trust them!
>your team usually consists of dysfunctional highschoolers playing heroes

If you want a proper SMT game with Persona-like cast, play Devil Survivor 1 instead.

I ran a pokemon campaign with PTU once. Never again.

I wouldn't wish PTU on my worst enemy

Are they made by the same studio?

yes

what about mutants and masterminds then

I would love an smt rpg but the whole devil summoning aspect will be a huge pain in the ass
So I cannot see one working unless you go the DDS route where you are the demons
Although the one thing I like about SMT which is easy to transfer to tabletop is the setting of a mythological free for all with humans stuck in the center of it all

Interestingly enough, this seems like it might just do the trick. There's a thread for it here:

havent played DDS youre the demons?
ill admit im new to the franchise as a whole

looks interesting ill check it out

well you are human but can transform into demons
they are more focused on character than the main series but it has the exact same battle system as nocturne
Also has the hardest optional boss I have ever seen in a video game let only and jrpg

They're in the same multiverse.

Not even humans, really. It gets real weird even discounting the esoteric Hinduism.

>wait for more Saikoro Fiction games to be translated
>play all of them
>write SMT Saikoro Fiction hack
>run that

what is saikoro fiction

Shinobigami, Peekaboo, Card Ranker, Kill Death Business, Magicalogia, inSANe, Hunters Moon, Blood Crusade, Bloodmoon, Kancolle RPG and Beginning Idol.

Different timelines, but very true.

Whats your favourite demons Veeky Forums?

Mara.

Threadly reminder that Dagda did everything wrong and is biggest megabitch in megaten universe after Big Yahoo.

Accept no substitutes

Holy fuck thats aesthetic, which game?

Shin Megami Tensei 2

Alice

Kill all your friends to attain godhood

Yuki-Jyourou. Ever since I saw her in Imagine. I've ensured I nabbed her if I could ever since.