How much experience points would you give to a character whose player, for a reason or another, missed the session?

How much experience points would you give to a character whose player, for a reason or another, missed the session?

Depends on the system.

None, probably. Maybe if he had a good reason for being absent 50% of what the others got.

The exact same amount, because uneven XP is just annoying as fuck to deal with.

Absences happen, if someone is away for a good reason and tells me in advance, or it's an emergency afterwards, it's all good.

Heck, even if they just fuck up once or twice it's not the biggest deal.

If a player is regularly not attending for no good reason, that isn't a problem you can fix by not giving them as much XP.

Depends on if he informed me first in a reasonable time and if the reason was valid enough.

>2/2
Half XP
>1/2
The minimum
>0/2
Fucking nothing and a yellow card

I give the party the exp to deal out and let them decide how much each player gets. so far they deal it equally

Because I like roleplaying and it gives me something to do, I will often allow players a chance to side session a few hours on the side to make up for it. Depending on the situation, a player not showing during a dungeon crawl can end up with them getting Scooby Doo'd and whisked away to some other section of the the dungeon by a trapdoor or revolving bookcase.

From where, I'll give them some risky situations to take care of, maybe a new plothook/device to work with.

Can be quite entertaining, some of the situations they end up in. Playing out LSD fueled dream states is good shit when you've done more than your fair share of psychedelics.

None, you miss a session you get no reward, regardless of the reason. If a player informs me before hand and wants to work out a separate side quest to make up for the missing exp that's fine.

Pretty much this. If you miss a session you miss out on story time and loot.

None. Of course, I run my game from a pool of players, so it's not a big issue.

Same as everyone else

Out of game responsibilities always come before in game stuff, my gaming group all have jobs and families and that shit is more important than games.

So I don't see any need to punish them in game for out of game events.

Of course if someone regularly flakes I will ask if they would be more able to come on a different time if the group can reach a compromise, or suggest they sit the campaign out until life calms down.

basically if you want to apply in game penalties of any sort for people having out of game responsibilities, go fuck yourself and seriously reconsider your priorities

Ugh, you re the fucking worst.

I hate people like you, so slimy and passive aggressive, good little nerd cuckbois. Get the fuck out "ideas guy."

As long as we can come up with a compelling in-game reason for them being gone, who cares? Just keep the party balanced.

Full, because I play with my friends and want everyone to have fun and not some random faggots I need to assert my dominance over by taking away their good boy points.

Full, because it's a fucking game and I'm not going to penalize people for OoC shit that's beyond their control.
Why is this even a fucking question? Does nobody on Veeky Forums game with friends anymore? Has everyone forgotten how to be reasonable?

What the fuck are you even talking about?

These are the only good posts in this topic.

Thirding this. Everyone has real life stuff come up now and then, no need to punish people for having lives outside the game. If it's a regular thing, then that's something you should talk about OOC instead of enforcing IG penalties. Maybe another time would work better for them, or they just aren't enjoying the game enough to continue or whatever. Docking XP is not the way to fix these problems. Further, if a player is already considering dropping your game and wondering if they should shuffle around other obligations to make more room, being a level or more behind the rest of the party will make them want to play less, not more.

Full exp, they don't have any say about loot and if the other players want all the stuff they looted that session the person who missed it can't complain

If people can't make it to a session it's no huge deal, I'll take control of them for combat and will fudge stuff so they don't get killed unless it's a tpk. Nobody wants to return to a session to hear "oh hey you knowbthat character you made and spent months on? Yeah he died last night roll a new one"

If we got to a town at one session, and the player missed the one where people were doing stuff there he just spent time at the inn resting or something, I'll have a little 1 on 1 retcon on a different day asking what the person wanted to do in town, if he wanted to buy anything or send a message or whatever

It's a fucking game I'm not going to penalize a person because they can't show up, and if it happens regularly then cutting their exp isn't going to fix it and the player would be dropped from the game until they sort out whatever issue they're having

A worthless DnD-drone talking about "le quirky gaem n le ebin drugs lmao" is basically the lowest common denominator of this hobby. Nothing worse than the shallow, patronizing, faux enthusiasm of that subhuman lot.

I still have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.

So basically you're flipping your shit over nothing? Good to know.

Stay triggered, drones.

...A GM does a thing that both they and their players enjoy. If it works for them, why does it matter to you?

The only sensible awnser.

Either get some sleep or get a dictionary, cause your spelling is more deranged than an old man screaming about hills filled with gold.