Is it any good?

Is it any good?

You already know the answer, and you're only posting it for bait, autistic screeching, and le ebin NU-MALE-ERA XD jokes.

It's a kinda good premise with a lame execution.

Take the setting, answer all of the questions it refuses to, and run it in a competently desgined system.

Yes.

Sorta. Not really. Setting is kinda interesting, mechanics are fucky. You're better off using a different system if you really want to run in the setting.

Idk I read through it and it looks like a pretty solid system. Please elaborate as to what you find annoying/badly designed.
And this is asking about the system please keep the /pol/itics where they belong.

The 1-10 X 3 thing and the Skill Step method leads to some really janky encounter balance, and the fact that that's really all the system takes into account, not other abilities.

That and the Cyphers, while theoretically a nice idea, has a lot more trouble in execution.

Also, since it's just d20 every time for everything, the system depends on a quality GM who can keep things entertaining in order to break up the monotony.

>Nu-menéra

Major complaints:
>d20-based
>Intrusions have almost no guidelines but do more than automatically missing
>The XP system in general

Minor complaints:
>Task difficulty separate from, but link to target number - needlessly confusing

Depends on your tastes:
>Determinstic damage
>GM never rolls

Good idea, poor execution, bizarre design decisions.

>You already know the answer, and you're only posting it for bait, autistic screeching, and le ebin NU-MALE-ERA XD jokes.
I literally just came for this

>Nu-menéra
Thank you!

>The XP system in general
I will agree that XP system is really weird in a lot of places.

>Intrusions have almost no guidelines but do more than automatically missing.
I think this is up to personal taste since the intuitions can be used to really throw a curve-ball at the players, and make for some interesting moments. And I personally prefer rules to be a bit more lax and dependent on the GM since it cuts a lot of rules lawyering.

>d20-based
I don't really see the problem here. Is it because of the number distribution?

Half of the anti-d20 meme is just because d20 = D&D and shitty OGL in people's(idiot's) minds. In this case, however, the distribution of the numbers across the Difficulty system means that it feels more, well, random than even standard d20 systems.

>I don't really see the problem here. Is it because of the number distribution?
The d20 is a die for slapstick comedy games where the wacky linear curve makes for the entertainment. The d20 system is farcical by being built on this and pretending that it's capable of telling stories instead of running beer and pretzels games. I have no problem with the latter, just the former of using the wrong tool for the job.

>I think this is up to personal taste since the intuitions can be used to really throw a curve-ball at the players, and make for some interesting moments.
Except you're just as likely to roll an Intrusion as you would be to not roll an intrusion, which makes the whole concept of special rolls idiotic in anything except a comedy game.

>I personally prefer rules to be a bit more lax and dependent on the GM since it cuts a lot of rules lawyering.
Except it doesn't really. It just transfers the framing of the argument from about the rules to about the GM's judgement, and that isn't any better. That isn't to say that rules can be lax -- they can. You just need to provide ample context and scaffolding for GMs to build off of, e.g. how the Fate System Toolkit breaks down Fate so you can customize it to suit your needs, or how GURPS provides rules for most everything so you don't need to know everything and make a bunch of judgement calls.

The best method to curb rules lawyering, of course, is to have a spine and nip it in the bud, before it becomes a problem.

Yeah now that I ran the math i can see why yo will say that. It's a lot more granular than normal d20 systems (you have a lot of "dead-roll" zones).

>The d20 is a die for slapstick comedy games where the wacky linear curve makes for the entertainment.
I guess it depends on the implementation of the GM. If you had a shit one even the best number distribution can't help you. Keep in mind WHFRP had linear distribution and it's one of the best systems I've played.

As for intrusion i need to mention that I am talking about the special ones not the free ones. The free ones can get a bit tedious after a while so u have to resort to the good 'ol "Well you miss."

Note: I don't think this system is the second cumming of Christ. I just don't think it's that bad. It's like a 7/10

>The d20 is a die for slapstick comedy games where the wacky linear curve makes for the entertainment

It's not the die, it's how it's traditionally used in systems that use it.

>The free ones can get a bit tedious after a while so u have to resort to the good 'ol "Well you miss."
The fact that critical anythings can be tedious is a serious mark against the system.

>I guess it depends on the implementation of the GM. If you had a shit one even the best number distribution can't help you.
And if you have a great one, they're going to be ignoring the system, even the dice, in order to tell the story and play the game you and your fellow players and your GM want to play, so why waste your time with a system that isn't doing what you need it to do?

>Keep in mind WHFRP had linear distribution and it's one of the best systems I've played.
If you say so.

>Note: I don't think this system is the second cumming of Christ. I just don't think it's that bad. It's like a 7/10
We have quite different standards. To each his own.

>It's not the die, it's how it's traditionally used in systems that use it.
A linear curve means that every outcome is equally likely. Will you use it only for random tables? That's a fitting use of a d20, one that I have seen. Using it as your main resolution mechanic, though, isn't fitting for any game except comedy games, or do you have examples counter to that? I'd like to see them.

Oh Jesus... just be honest and say you want to argue with someone angrily about linear systems.

Besides that, there's the BRP d100 Family of rpgs, which has linear progression in a percentile system. And before you argue about 2d10 vs. D100, there is no difference in probability. Included is RuneQuest and Call of Cthulhu, some of the oldest and most popular systems out there.

>Oh Jesus... just be honest and say you want to argue with someone angrily about linear systems.
I don't.

>Besides that, there's the BRP d100 Family of rpgs, which has linear progression in a percentile system.
Yes, they're bad too.

>And before you argue about 2d10 vs. D100, there is no difference in probability.
I know that. I have a rudimentary understanding of probability.

>Included is RuneQuest and Call of Cthulhu, some of the oldest and most popular systems out there.
That's nice. Doesn't make them good. Just popular.

>The 1-10 X 3 thing

Because 1 to 10 is a very intuitive way of setting difficulties for the players. The "3 to 30 in steps of 3" scale (which it maps to) is only intuitive to engineers or hardcore players.

What would you consider a well-designed or good game?

>d20-based

Not a complaint. The bell curve is an illusion and can easily be designed around.

A game whose mechanics achieve the stated goals of the system is a good place to start. Elegant math as opposed to multiple clunky formulas and table look-ups is another. Presentation, formatting, and editing, while not specifically mechanically related, are all important for communicating systems to the end user, so I value them highly. I may not like or enjoy a well-designed game, but it would still be well-designed in spite of that, based on my criterion.

...Alright, you got me. I've never played any RPG besides GURPS. But I'm sure GURPS is the best, otherwise I wouldn't be playing it.

>A game whose mechanics achieve the stated goals of the system is a good place to start. Elegant math as opposed to multiple clunky formulas and table look-ups is another. Presentation, formatting, and editing, while not specifically mechanically related, are all important for communicating systems to the end user, so I value them highly. I may not like or enjoy a well-designed game, but it would still be well-designed in spite of that, based on my criterion.

Except Numenera has all of that and it is still a complete piece of shit.

>answer all of the questions it refuses to
Why? Unless you're such a mega aspie that you can't stand the notion that some things don't require answers and that some things are actually better left as mysteries there's absolutely no reason to do this.

If this isn't the next thread image for GURPS general, I'll go set my mattress on fire.

>since it's just d20 every time for everything
>break up the monotony
>rolling one type of die
>monotonous
Literally what? There's exactly one RPG I have played that doesn't use only one type of die, and it's the one we all know about. I've never played Savage Worlds. Fight me. Never once has anyone complained that it's monotonous to only roll d6s or only d10s. If anything the complaining has been directed in the opposite direction, because why do we need to keep track of every die imaginable to play a single game?

The die type isn't the problem, it's the type of systems its usually used for. Rolling a single d10, d6, or d30 with modifiers has the same problems as typical use of a d20.

>The die type isn't the problem, it's the type of systems its usually used for.
Yes, I said that. Linear curves are for beer and pretzels/comedy games.

>Rolling a single d10, d6, or d30 with modifiers has the same problems as typical use of a d20.
Where did I say they didn't?

Where's the blacked logo?

It's really not though. Which is a shame, because the core concept is incredibly solid.

Sure are a lot of asshurt McHaters in this thread.

Very few games are so shitty they don't have a cool concept at their core. Numenera's is just burred in shoddy design choices and a hack devs magical realm.

Endless Legend does what it does as a setting 10 times better. You'd be better off homebrewing for that if you wanted a fantasy but actually sci-fi but also fantasy setting. It's a great way to get rid of all the vestigial dnd trappings to.

No.

My fav rpg. Not for autists who like everything done for them. Going to need to have creativity to make a lot if stuff. Done intentionally so the gm can work in what he wants.

Fantastic art.

Wowee, great argument. You sure showed me! I love Numenera now!

As a GM, when you go off the system you still end up pulling on the mechanics.

The way Numenera runs *feels* like a game where you're going off system on purpose. I've never seen anything work more easily for the GM.