media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously, on /5eg/:
Unearthed arcana is coming pretty soon. Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.me/5eg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Thoughts?
They'll fuck it up somehow as usual, which will lead to fewer people playing it, which will lead to little feedback, which will lead to it not ever appearing in print because there "was no demand for it"

At least find some new pictures

I keep forgetting which I've used already.

New thread that's still on page 6 and thus doesn't need to link to another bait thread!

Have you tried not being a butthurt racist?

>The problem involves an image with a black girl in it
>WOW RAYCIST
Go back to tumblr, we're tired of your 'it involves black people therefore it's racist' bullshit.
Or take your 'le epic trolling' of constantly making early threads just so you can repeatedly use the same images that only derail the thread and go to reddit.

It has nothing to do with the image you picked, but that you're shitting up the board by making new threads absurdly early.

Just wait until the thread hits page 8 or 9.

Both threads have images of African women, so I fail to see how linking to the one that's still up is racist.

>niggers are bait
Have you considered not chimping out?

But seriously OP, step your image game up, and stop making new threads until the old ones are at least page 9.

Is it the same user who makes /pfg/ threads early as well, or are they two different anons that share the same form of autism?

>This isn't bait
If it causes everybody to derail the thread and the OP is repeatedly doing it with the same images and making threads before anyone else can make threads, then yes, this is bait.

It doesn't have to be niggers. It could be kitsunes, pictures of fat pigs, fingerboxes or whatever the shit. Whatever causes derailment in thread and is clearly not done for the sole purpose of derailment.

Reminder to report and ignore shitposting.

Reported.

My group is turning into a complete trainwreck. Everybody is at odds with each other both in character and out of game. Nobody wants to co operate, people get legitimately angry irl every session, nobody is having fun. What a disaster.

America, is that you?

Tell me about it, I've had a game like this too. It ended with a party PvP that directly led to a total party kill. The group has split over it, and we didn't live it down and continue gaming together until an entire year later.

talk to them, suspend the campaign if needed. this shit is a huge investment for everyone, and no one really want's to have their time and energy wasted over an un-fun game.

A /pfg/ regular here, I can tell you it's probably the same user trying to fuck up both threads. No hard feelings from me, tho, 5e is a decent game

I do not know why people try to shit up perfectly good generals with shitty political debates and baits.

I am the DM of a 5man group for about a year now, everyone is level 7.
We play only like once a month because everyone is busy (or so I believe, they're friends of a friend, I don't know anybody outside of the group)
I DM my own campaign, try to have a mix of RP and PvE to make everyone happy, with a lot more fights than conversations. Now I also give out xp for roleplaying, clever strategies or setting up traps for the player who came up with it. Killing enemies grants everyone the same amount. They all know this, because I encourage more than braindead damage dice rolling. If everyone is involved and I don't get the feeling I am being boring, anyone playing with their phone and then asking me what happened loses xp, idgaf hate me for it.

Unfortunately the two who get the least xp for the day (not always the same people, literally always changing) make a scene, demanding I explain how I came up with the amount of xp and that it's bullshit. I simply refuse and tell them I write down every time someone gains xp and tell them the total at the end.

I am honestly losing motivation to prepare for our campaign, but I don't know whether I am to blame or not. Should I grant everyone the same xp and make it a team effort, essentially rewarding lazy players? Should I drop the xp altogether and have them reach milestones for levelups?
I cannot talk to whoever is making a fuss, as that would include every single player except one chill guy.

Opinions on this? Is the wording confusing?

Why is nature being retarded again? Putting a white wolf in the dry grassland.

Are we still not linking the discord in the thread because of people like Lyn, Cammy c0re?

what are some character concepts you've always wanted to use but never got around to it

for me ive got a super sentai cg paladin

and a cn triton refluffed to be a battletoad. he'd probably be a barbarian centered around using tavern brawler

user who doesn't like SKT, tell us more why you don't like that adventure.

All those extra hit dice are going to make characters tanky AF, plus letting them run around for at least 2 rounds with little penalty...

I like the intent, I'm just not sure how it would play is all

I'm just making this post to confess how much I hate the autist(s) in my party.

You could always say fuck it and link the Discord anyway: discord.me/5eg

Just like the UA vitality rules, it's too much bookkeeping compared to the normal rules and ultimately doesn't solve the problem.

What do you think of the other solutions then, like the angry DM's 'fighting spirit' proposal or not going unconscious at 0 but taking damage as max HP loss instead?

My party is going to be facing a 17th level sorcerer (they're 13th) that I've been building up for a while, and honestly, I just feel bad.

If I pick the most effective spells, then he's just going to instagib the party. All that needs to happen is for them to walk through the front door like idiots (which they will, because they are), he casts meteor swarm on them, boom, dead.

On the other hand, if I give him spells they can survive, he's going to get splattered on the pavement in 2 turns or less because action economy.

How can I make this a climactic encounter while not outright annihliating them? I've been building this motherfucker up for the better part of 2 years.

Don't pick the most effective spells. Pick the spells that most suit his character.

Lower his level, give him some mooks to soak action economy and damage, possibly have him summon monsters for it

I've been running it since December with on average two sessions a month. I think i majorly fucked up by encouraging the party to play a group of criminal monster pcs. They are all members of the zhentarim and were sent to goldenfields disguised as members of the emerald enclave to try and find a way to bend goldenfields to the zhentarim. Then giant attacks ensued.

Thus far they've planted a zhent ally in goldenfields who is slowly making the abbot there seem like he is getting too old to run shit and needs to be replaced. In addition theyve had encounters in waterdeep with the xanathar thieves guild who sold them to fire giants as slaves. They broke out and found harshnag who took them to the eye of the all father where they did the barbarian mound quests to receive intel on one of the giant Lord holds (the frost giant one)

Now however they have an airship and after a random encounter with a young green dragon now have a Dragon corpse they are trying to sell to a wizard or someone in waterdeep.

My problem is they dont seem particularly interested in the giant plot at all and are mostly just trying to get money and do thug shit(not really thug shit but typical evil group shenanigans.) When the party ranger multiclassed into a cleric I used that as an opportunity to generate some investment by having her be a chosen one of the storm giant God who is trying to reorient the opening. Now she has been invested but she cant convince the rest of the party to address the giant threat.

Any tips on how I can reorient the group? Or would it be best to just keep things going and let them have fun doing their own thing? I have been foreshadowing that Duke Zalto is dangerously close to completing the vonindood, and sparking a war with the Dragons.

Reducing max HP as a rule is a pain in the ass. Here's a possible solution, building off the death save rules:

When you are healed from 0 hit point, you do not immediately regain consciousness, but instead enter a state of waning consciousness. At the start of each of your turns, roll a d20. On a 10 or higher, you regain consciousness and can act on your turn as normal. Otherwise, you fall unconscious again. When you make three total successful rolls, you are fully conscious and no longer need to repeat this save.

>Level 17 versus a party of level 13
>Thinking the level 17 will win

Are your players really that absolutely fucking bad? Really?

Just give him minions, and spells the party can survive. That way he doesn't get fucked by the action economy.

Mooks and minions, to further balance out the action economy. Then lower his level a bit.

17th-level sorcerer =/= CR 17

The PCs will easily win. Nothing wrong with him casting meteor swarm to level the playing field first.

elementals, golems, fey, abberations, etc
Have his spells make things harder for the party instead of outright killing them: Reverse Gravity, Investiture of X, Wall of Stone, Telekinesis, etc

>subtracting a number on your character sheet is a pain in the ass
>instead, roll a billion dice every time someone gets healed

???

Maybe he summons a fiend or has his right hand fighting for him and gets away, because he still has to finish his big evil plan somewhere else/needs more time to do that

Alternatively you may lower his CR and paint it like his plan(summoning or whatever) was just finished and the party's job is now to prevent the worst from happening

Give the room he's in interesting terrain features to keep the PCs from getting to him too fast without much of a struggle. Make him use that terrain to his advantage. Pits, collumns, walls, etc. They're facing this sorcerer on HIS turf, so he should make them regret that even if you don't want him to fry them immediately.

Also, don't let him face them alone, as others have said. Add minions.

It's a single die that a person rolls at the start of each of their turns and would have to if they were dying anyway, but if misrepresenting my post makes you feel better about yourself, by all means be my guest.

>as a rule is a pain in the ass

What in particular about it? It seems pretty simple to me. You simply just need three values:
[Current HP / Max HP] [True Max HP]
At a fully rested state all three above values are identical.

I mean, in other possible solutions like in your example it still heavily encourages people to spam 1 HP heals on people who go down and people don't really get to do anything but beg the healer for heals when they hit 0.

The idea with reducing max HP is you REALLY do not want to lose max HP. You could keep on fighting once you hit 0 if you plan to go out in a heroic death, but you'd start doing things like dodging and holding back rather than practically begging all the monsters to finish you off for good.

Some of my past ideas I can admit were more of a pain in the ass where you had to calculate your secondary HP in different ways and I was fumbling over trying to find a penalty for fighting on 0 HP, but I think 'having a lower max HP and being nearer to dying' is enough of a penalty.

I exaggerated. The fact is that what you proposed is more of a pain in the ass than simple subtraction that you do once per instance. It would clog combat even more than combat already is clogged up with dice rolls.

This, there's even space for it on the official character sheets.

Cross out "50" and write "45" next to it, done.

What's with 5eg and black people? You guys seem to be more obsessed than people who frequent /tv/ at night.

Knocking fools on their asses and stomping on them as a giant elk is fun. What's your favorite wild shape besides bear, /5eg/?

don't act like your picture isn't of a black man.

His character is that he's a megalomaniac who wants to resurrect an ancient demilich. Also, he killed another character with a fire ball earlier, so I guess he likes fire.

>give him mooks
See, I've tried that before, but there's no way for mooks to prevent focus firing. The players (correctly) identify the big bad as the key weak point, and focus their attacks on him, essentially soaking minor enemies until he goes down. There's no good way to absorb blows or redirect damage or even force aggro in this system, so that never fucking helps.

Going all out? Let's see...
>party bursts in through tower
>ready action:meteor swarm
>40d6+5 damage
>party's average hp is 130
>average damage from meteor swarm is 140
>pick off any survivor's with twinned disintegrates
Yeah, sounds like a TPK to me

Constrictor snake is fun as shit

Set up the terrain so they have to get through the mooks first.

If this UA is bad then we went to a monthly schedule for nothing and I'll lose hope for Wizard's support.

Why?

Can not they make a cohesive group? Do they argue about how to solve a problem? Do they want to do very different things? What causes the issues?

If it's because they all make random characters that don't work together then restart the campaign with a strict background rule - everyone is a guard in an arena dungeon, or they are all siblings. Something where IC they have strong loyalties and more homogenous personalities.

>making an npc with pc classes
>not making an npc with legendary actions and customized spell lists to fit character
absolutely haram

Don't forget that Meteor Swarm has a save for half damage, and then that spell slot's gone.

Meanwhile a CR 1 bugbear can fell most level 1 PCs with an average hit (11 damage).

Calculate the CR using the DMG rules, it might surprise you.

>Ready action
That's not a smart move. If the party doesn't burst through the door right the second you expect it then you lose the spell completely. Also, readying actions usually doesn't work that way anyway - you ready actions in combat, otherwise the party can say 'we all ready actions before we charge in through the front door'. At which point, everybody has a readied action and you might as well have combat as normal?

Also, if even one of them succeeds their save, they won't go down.
Also, if any of them has resistance to bludgeoning OR fire damage, they won't go down.
Also if the damage is rolled poorly they won't go down.
When not all of the players are down, the healer can just go 'whoops, I heal the entire party back to 1 HP, everybody's standing again.'

Also a wizard or anybody with counterspell can just fucking counterspell it. No, counterspell every single one of their spells.

Chances are somebody in the party will win on initiative, run up to the sorcerer, chain stun him / kill him in one turn / gag his mouth and shove him to to the floor / throw him out a window / anything really.

However, this is all moot if your players are dumb at which point it becomes a retarded game of rocket tag.

>there's no way for mooks to prevent focus firing
Haha you uninventive fuckhead. Never DM again.

Can someone give me any ideas for some basic non-magical gear to buy? A lot of this shit doesn't seem worth it.

What should I name my elf?

J'rom Inglewood

Crowbar
Portable ram
Caltrops
Ball bearings
Grappling hook and LOTS OF ROPE

grappling hook and rope
sheets of paper
chalk, charcoal
clay
bags of sand
eggs

>but there's no way for mooks to prevent focus firing.

Holy fuck, use some imagination. Have the main villain use defensive spells and gear the minions for huge damage so they become a higher priority. Give the minions concentration spells that can buff the main villain while they're alive, or even flatout give him a barrier or something that draws from their life essence.

There are a million ways to make a boss that can't be defeated until his minions all die, have you ever played an RPG?

>no way for mooks to force party aggro.

Have you ever heard of wall of force? Also making the mooks genuinely threatening would help. Do all your fights include a big "Toughest Guy in the Room Arrow Right here" floating over the boss?

TEN FOOT POLE YOU DENSE MOTHERFUCKER

Albertariel Barbosius

You got a lot of good (condescending) criticism here. It's Veeky Forums, so don't be a faggot and take the free information and get better.

Don't post in this thread or at least do it with sage guys.

You have no power here.

Unsaged post. Who the fuck cares if a black person is in the image?

J'maal Laphonzius Brown

The point isn't in the picture, it literally doesn't matter. It's creating new threads while the old one is on page 6 and posting these images just to be spiteful (they're not even original ones, he cycles between 6 or something).
But why do I bother, it's you posting anyway, OP.

Thoughts on this slightly nerfed Revenant?

>regen only functions when you have more than 1 hp
>rather than instantly getting up on your turn you automatically pass death saves and get up with 1 only after 3 turns downed

Still rather OP however getting downed actually has a bit of consequence, and the DM doesn't have to focus your downed body to keep you from hopping back up next turn.

That actually sounds like an elf name.

Or I could just not throw a shitfit over a fucking image. Yeah, OP is baiting, yeah he has a janitor sucking his dick, who cares, I'm here to talk about DnD, not get caught up in this /pol/ shit.

Go fuck yoursafe, post unsaged.

Dindu WazKang

Fukialam Nattadrow

D'marius Brownlog

Reposting my shitty story time from last thread,

So, after holding onto a scroll of teleport my dm had given my character for months, I finally decided it was time to use it. Story time ahead.

>Diviner with Lucky feat
>6 dex and 7 con
>already died once and was brought back to life, arguably against my and my character's will
>old grandpa naturalist and retired librarian and all around pacifist from the start
>after a cave in and a dungeon crawl through some abandoned settlement and forge come across a dragon's hoard
>no escape route in sight, way back is a dead end because cave-in
>dragon offers help in exchange of unloading all of our hoard, magical or otherwise
>my lovely hoboes pick up their arms while i try to parlay
>think "yet another unavoidable boss fight vastly overleveled to match our group of murder machines"
>shadow dragon fuck thing, starts summoning shadows demons
>think "fuck it, fuck this, fuck everything"
>DM goes "Roll initiative!"
>"Portent! the dragon rolls a 6!"
>shadows go first and target me
>11AC with mage armor
>one shield!misses, another lucky+shield!misses
>rogue 2 goes first of all of us, kills one of the shadows next to me
>start reading what teleport actually does and how to use scrolls
>holy fuck it's only allies 10ft of you, can't possibly take the entire team as they were all scattered
>move into a better position, shadow 2 tries to OA me
>know pretty much any damage is enough to take me down, so go "Portent, the shadow rolls a 5 and misses me!
>in position, can take everyone except the fighter and rogue 2
>"I pull out of the bag of holding a scroll and use it, Teleport!"
>have to roll a 17 but have +5 on the scroll roll, roll a 13
>"I teleport everyone 10ft away from me, the fighter and rogue 2 are left behind to X location!"
>DM is stunned, he remembered the scroll but didn't really think i would actually use it, much less in this fight

(CONT.)

pic related, my character holding rogue 2

>Should I drop the xp altogether and have them reach milestones for levelups?
Do this.

Your players doesn't want different exp levels. Unless some people are specifically a problem in terms of no-shows, keeping everyone at the same level is always the best.

What you are doing puts the players at odds with each other. It risks becoming a "that was my plan!" Shitfest, and people doing stupid "my character would do this" shit because "I risk falling behind if I dont".

Punish lazy players in other ways.

(CONT.)

>after going through his notes and stating that this dragon has magic for no real good reason says:
>"The dragon tries to counter you scroll, he doesn't want to let you go, sensing all the magic items you are carrying and really pissed for finding his lair and trying to steal from it"
>i go "I want to counterspell his counterspell!"
>we both roll a contest, dragon rolls a 17 while I roll a 14
>Lucky! I reroll for an 18!
>"You and everyone in range are teleported away."
>everyone explodes in amusement and confusion
>everyone left behind is confused and pissed, thinking i just left them to die
>one of the others, whose character has a major dragon boner asks to stay behind, being the first time he encounters a dragon
>"it's actually willing creatures, so you can all stay if you want" I say
>"fuck it, says all the others, we are also out"
>dragon fight goes from 7 PCs to 3 PCs plus deus ex machina'd mia PC and some NPCs
>after some lucky/unlucky rolls they actually manage to kill the thing and reap the spoils, mountains of loot and stuff ensue
>people backing my character, people arguing that we could obviously took care of the dragon, DM's balance and loot to be delivered to X and Y character that are now separated, etc.
>night devolves into a deep philosophical discussion on in-character/OOC/meta actions and stuff
>we all agree to sort everything out next encounter and mostly laugh about how ridiculous the whole thing went

In the end the DM was having fun, the ones that stayed behind were hyped as fuck, especially the guy that always spectates/falls asleep and the ones that got away with me were a bit disappointed about the loss of xp/loot but agreed that at the moment they wouldn't have done anything differently.

The moral of the story I guess would be to never trust wizards and try to give your players options so they don't have to go out of the way to make them up themselves, fucking over your planned story in the process.

What are some good tool proficencies?

A female bookworm wizard, who is absolutely terrible at social interaction and awkward as all hell, and super easily manipulated. The type to just very easily be lead astray by some handsome schmuck the BBEG employs.

I rolled up her once, but the game died when the rest of the players dropped out before the first session. The GM actually liked the concept, pretty sad I never got to use it. It was intended to be the very "supportish" variant with very few blaster spells.

>There are people in this thread
>Right now
>Who think having cishet love interests is okay in a campaign

You can tell a good story with star-crossed lovers of the same gender, or a woman helping her girlfriend embrace her femininity, but there's just nothing new or fun you can do between a female and a male-identifying person.

A bride, who ran away from an arranged marriage to a disgusting brute she never met. I didn't play it, because this concept requires cooperation with someone who plays a man, who ran away from an arranged marriage with some ugly shrewd he never met.

>muh fancy albino wolffff

or
>setting has not!africa and not!colonists
>they bring down wolves to keep natives in line
>natives steal them because they have a deep connection with the wild, and by extension the wolves listen to them more readily than their abusive euro owners

If someone comes up with a plan and it involves other players, I give it to everybody involved. It has never come to the situation that my players are fighting for xp.
I might just drop xp values completely and have everybody level up together.
Thank you.

how do people let their groups get this fucked up?

if people don't care about it and rather do something else, like looking through their phones, you don't punish them like little bitch boys, you stop running for them.
this shit takes time and effort and if you don't enjoy it you are not obligated to keep doing it, specially if they don't enjoy it either.

talk to them like fucking grown ups, ask them upfront and get a real answer an not the opinion from some randos in the internet.

if they tell you your story sucks, you can then decide to step up your game, if they tell you your mechanics/house-rules suck, you can consider changing them/dropping them, but if you have no fucking clue of what the problem with the campaign is, how do you expect us to know?

As a player;
None of the options "made sense"

When we seriously considered our options in character, and left aside the meta knowledge of "supposedly we can handle this, since it is part of the adventure at this level", we couldn't justify attempting a lot of the plot hooks. From a character point of view, it was suicide.

The GM spent a lot of time trying to find good reasons, but he just dropped it, saying "the book doesn't really give any proper reasons for why this should be possible either. Maybe it assumes characters are overconfident or something. "

We just gave up trying.

Not OP. I couldn't care less when the thread was posted, as long as it was posted after the autosage. Don't be a chimp.

>The spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots.

Does this mean that if I'm Cleric 1/Wizard 19 I can prepare 9th level Cleric spells?

How do you mean?
How and why doesn't the adventure make sense?

No. When you multiclass you prepare and know spells as though you were a single-classed member of each class. Cleric 1/wizard 19 can prepare 1st-level cleric spells and 9th-level wizard spells.

Have you tried reading the multiclass rules? Because no.

you can cast cleric spells in a 9th level slot, but not prepare a 9th level cleric spell.

What is the best use of a flight speed? DM said I could use anything from PHB, SCAG and Volo's so I want to make a winged Tiefling. I was planning to make it a ranged rogue but perhaps you guys know better/more fun options

>perhaps you guys know better/more fun options
yeah, not doing that.

Seriously, it sounds great at first, until you've got 12 goblins with shortbows all aimed at your dick.

Because the plot hooks often sounds like something *way* out of our league.

Yeah, meta wise, we know it likely is possible when we get the hook (GM confirmed it probably was) but in character, with the knowledge we have, most of it sounds like "this will literally kill you, with 0 % chance of you getting even halfway through this alive.".

It's not evem funny. We ended the game at some point where most of our leads where:
>Nope.jpg
>Lolno
>What, are you serious
>why
GM threw us a homebrew lead, and we then just abandoned the SKT plot entirely. Only way we could salvage it.

Old mystic who lives in a rundown house. He's the weird old man whose house kids run past screaming in fear for no discernable reason but then he starts using his Mystic powers to scare the kids with delusions and sprouting claws and shit and eventually gets kicked out of town for being a menace.