Shield thread

Lets talk about shields

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/loW9TtuJK-E?t=135
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>not being fashionable as fuck instead

fuck your stupid fucking rectangles

round shields can be used as offensive weapons be striking with the rim. They are also easier to move about.

Both types of shield are useful for different situations.

Fuck you, my shield is inside out.

Boss gripped > arm strapped.

Square shields were also used offensively to punch people in the face, they were just not used like iron knuckles.

>You need a round shield to bash someone
Hehehe...

I know nothing about shields. Would a shield like this be useful? I just think it's pretty.

The shape may allow for ambidextrous stabbing through a shield wall. The designs however will catch a point and are detrimental.

Shields are for poorfags, plate armor is where it's at

What's the general opinion on how shields should be handled mechanically? I recall hearing that representing them as an off-hand weapon that is better at blocking than a regular weapon is a fine way to do it.

Of course it's pretty, it's elf-gear.

It's probably not as practical as other shields but I liked the way Black Knights held their shields so they could be used like bladed weapons.

>round and rectangle fags fighting one another
>the master race compromise comes in to play

How will they ever compete?

Don't mind me, just being the best shield that can be used in any situation.

I like heater shields myself.

>starts thread with image intended to divide shield users
Fuck you, asshole, you don't even care about shields

People say to me, "Sturnguard, what do you think of this sword or that axe?" But I say to them, "Nein! Modern warfare is a question of science! The science of shields!"

Some people say that it is better to have a magic sword than a magic shield, but I say to you that is rubbish! So long as you use it properly, this shield will make you invincible!

>fair-folk
Sturngard thou art a sheep-shagger!

>not using Wankel shield for those sweet exhaust notes

It's not as practical largely because the only reason they could use them that way was because of their height against you, the player.

Damn, looking at the image, I wish for a fun fantasy game that set in modern times without the ultra edge and cyberpunk of Shadowrun.

because if I'm wearing plate I have sufficient protection that a shield is somewhat superfluous and not carrying one allows me to hold my weapon with two hands and therefore impart more force with it, or perhaps to carry a second smaller weapon.

>a shield isnt a weapon in its own right

I always had a soft spot for attacks like this:
youtu.be/loW9TtuJK-E?t=135

Not as good as a massive hammer.

Some foes in Blame and Biomega possesses some really badass shields capable of deflecting OP gunshots.

Are sci-fi shields allowed?

No.

Yes.

Shielder

>What are blunt weapons

Not magical plate defeating weapons.

I always found that people with rectangle shields are a lot less maneuverable but more protected. Round shields are super maneuverable and easy to quickly form a defencive formation.

OP is right rectangle shields are for more disciplined forces. But circle shields are still more versatile.

Where's the Saxon! Such an incomplete list.

>Mycenaean Shield labeled Greek shield
>no Hoplon listed.

I don't need to damage plate, just break your bones.

Because I need two hands for my humongous awesome sword! I'm not compensating for anything I swear

so, you need him to not be wearing plate?
Because using a bludgeoning weapon, breaking the bones would require damaging the plate significantly.
You might be able to shock him a bit, I guess.

The Black Knights are probably the most badass normal enemies in the series.

Could make sheilds an offhand weapon that rolls to oppose the enemy's attack roll.

>you will never be a loyal knight to protect a qt 3.14 princess through everything including rebelion.

You're compensating for your lack of income doppelsodner.

AC bonus is fine in my opinion, because the point is to prevent getting hit. Maybe add some special maneuvers in for characters particularly skilled with shields.

>why not both
Because plate armor is more than enough already. A shield doesn't do much when the wearer's whole body is already shielded by plate armor.

And then you can use your free hand for a bigger weapon to more easily destroy whoever meant you harm in the first place.

>how shields should be handled mechanically
Add to the armor's effect, whatever that is in your game system, with a really big benefit if the character employs it skillfully. That's what many games do, and for good reason: it works quite well.

I like Pendragon's take on shields, where its extra damage-reduction is only applied when a shield-using combatant does well on his fighting skill.

What are your views on such a setting user? Do tell, I'm taking notes.

Y'all probably don't even have crossbows in your shield.

>thrust first nigga
>thrust first

>tfw her voice actress got replaced

New shielder isn't nearly as good as old shielder

doesn't that fall to the "small round" category?

The hoplite shield was rather large.

> Protects from shoulder to the ankle when used properly
> Weighs half as much as a rectangular shield
> Can be used on horseback
> Stylish as fuck

Kite Shield Master Race.

>Shield twice the size
>And twice the weight
>Sure, I will bash with it
>With a shield designed for completely different thing
Do you even know that the fucking buckler is the ultimate evolution of a shield? A tiny-ass round "pot cover".

> Hitting people with your shield

You have a weapon dumbass. Y'know, the thing that is actually designed to hurt people?

>I need a shield that covers my whole body because I'm too shit to actually block things

Bet you use polearms too so you can hit shit easier. Why not just drop both and use a bow. Or better yet, an orbital nuke.

"Hurr durr I'm a craven norman wench who refuses chivalrous swordsmanship"

GURPS Technomancer

>stabbing untrained pleb conscripts whose net worth is less than what your armor costs
>"Look at how honorable and skilled I am this is such a fair balanced fight XDDDD"

Take off the pay2win equips and then we can talk about chivalry

Are you joking around?

A big blunt object doesn't stop being able to bash people just because its primary use is to block.

What's with all the conventional combat units shown in the opening for a crossover mech game? It actually looks pretty cool.

Yeah, you could do that if you are within almost punching distance. However you could have more distance between you and your opponent and hit him with a weapon that offers a lot more leverage and a lot more reach, thus, more effectively damaging them.

But what about... when you ARE almost within punching distance? Then you hit him with the shield, or slam it on his toes.

Thinking your weapon is the only thing that matters for your offense is silly.
You use your weapon, you use every part of your weapon not just the end of it, you use your shield, you use your hands and grapples, you use your whole body. Whatever it takes to give you an advantage and win the day.

This one looks dope as fuck.

strapped or center-grip shield?

Sword was here

Shield is mai waifu

Spear is a lying cuck

>I know fucking nothing about history: the post

Never mind that it was lighter than the shields it replaced when the Romans adopted the Maniple, what you're suggesting is that a soldier/unit of soldiers that drill every day and train with their equipment wouldn't get used to carrying such a shield to be able to swing it as a bashing weapon, despite historical accounts to the contrary.

>Suetonius recorded an anecdote of the heroic centurion Cassius Scaeva, who fought under Caesar in the Battle of Dyrrachium:[10]
>with one eye gone, his thigh and shoulder wounded, and his shield bored through [with arrows] in a hundred and twenty places, [he] continued to guard the gate of a fortress put in his charge... [he] boarded the ship and drove the enemy before him with the boss of his shield.

On top of this, why else would they fix a metal boss to centre of the thing if they didn't intend to use it to bludgeon some bloody Gaul?

when will that fucking comic update

I don't disagree, of course if the opportunity presents itself, a well-placed shield punch can easily ruin your opponent's day. All I'm saying is just that those opportunities are more or less rare to the point that designing a shield around that isn't necessarily useful.
Of course it all depends on the context, but as far as I can see, good opportunities to bash someone with your shield with intent to hurt them, instead of just pushing them to knock them over or backwards to get some distance between you, or just hitting them with your offensive weapon, are rare.

Spear is pretty solid as a general weapon. IIRC it's second to bows for most kills in the pre-modern era.

>On top of this, why else would they fix a metal boss to centre of the thing if they didn't intend to use it to bludgeon some bloody Gaul?

So that arrows or javelins that pierce the shield wouldn't pierce the hand?

Best shield coming through

>bronze

Good luck finding the raw materials, Greek-boy.

Well yeah but, besides that.

>I recall hearing that representing them as an off-hand weapon that is better at blocking than a regular weapon is a fine way to do it.
And that's basically how GURPS handles it. Shield is a skill, the same as any weapon. Your parry score with a weapon is generally (skill/2)+3, with possible modifiers for weapons that are especially easy or difficult to parry with.

Shields give you a bonus (+1 to +3) to all defense rolls, whether with the shield or without -- it's easier to parry if you can parry the attack into your shield, and its easier to dodge if you can duck behind your shield (which is different than moving your shield into position to block) -- and the shield skill is easier to learn than most other weapon skills.

Wait, that's from a comic? I thought it was just pretty art.

Spears killed more people than archery ever did.