What's your favorite magic release?

And why was it 9th edition?

Llorwyn because nostalgia and evokers.

Every card is a baneslayer or a mulldrifter

The entire Alara block

too slow

But Dread tho.

Original o-ring was in that same set

You still at it Classicfag, you dense, uninformed motherfucker?

Timespiral is the best block anyway.

Original Ravnica and Lorwyn block was the golden age before planeswalkers ruined the storylines.

Kamigawa cause Rat Deck is the most fun I've ever had with a deck

Future Sight was the highlight of my teenage years. It was so dense, so much was going on in each card.

Honestly? I started playing during Weatherlight, and Urza's Saga was and probably still is my favorite set. Hell, the whole Weatherlight-Apocalypse is probably the best storytelling Magic ever had.

The way Urza and the timeline was presented during the block was really fun to follow through flavor text, card art, the characters and especially the several planes shown.

Fifth edition is best edition.

initial zendikar block, allies are my favorite tribe.

Lorwyn made deckbuilding very easy

RTR and the OG Innistrad, though I have a weird soft spot for Amonkhet

They were my first sets, but even looking at old sets, they were the last ones that were made to be fun.

this. the storytelling was apparent through the cards but they mostly didn't beat you over the head with it, aside from maybe a couple of cards in invasion block. a lot was left up to the imagination, the worlds were creative and mostly devoid of cliche, and the characters had a lot of depth. additionally, the art was, much, much, better than current art - Urza's block and everything before it is almost 10x better than everything put out currently (both kaladesh and amonkhet are particularly embarrassing).

I also really like prophecy for the art style - mirage was slightly better but overall both were fantastic.

This

Time Spiral best block. Fuck the NWO.

Lorwyn also made boardstates impossible to get a grip on.

I agree with this, though with the caveat that Future Sight was by was by far the worst set in that block and made the whole slightly less enjoyable as a result.

I liked lorwyn just wanted to bump my thread

First Mirrodin block. It was the first one I really started buying for, and it gave me a boner for artifacts that never went away.

Same here. I got an inexplicable boner for multicolored cards.

Zendikar and New Phyrexia
The jump from New Phyrexia into the snore festival that was innistrad: an mtg Halloween story was what killed my interest in magic.

10th was better, no silver bullet cards, no urzatron and no horrid white borders.

I find the game of magic has become more dodge my silver bullet or you lose, what silver bullets were in 9th?

Those 4 years period between Ravnica and Shards was magic's pinnacle. The only thing that has come close to those set was Innistrad and New Phyrexia.
The amount of playable choices in deckbuilding were endless.
Then they decided to simplify their game with the fucking NWO. And later they kept on simplifying it by making sure that only mid range strategies were playable.

Lowryn made them skill based. After that, the best play is obvious most of the time.

they're up to 9th edition now?

time fucking flies

This is some extreme b8

The weatherlight saga is the only point in magic where I found the story to be honestly good.

The one that will spell the end of the game and take WotC down with it so they can't make D&D shit anymore.

>Those 4 years period between Ravnica and Shards was magic's pinnacle
This, but I also liked Kamigawa and New Phyrexia.
The shit that's been going on the last sets has to stop and hopefully will stop with our Lord and Savior Nicol Bolas

fav block was kamigawa, fite me

Doesn't it have Boiling Seas, Paladin en-Vec, the CoP cycle etc?

I guess those are all still relatively specific. IDK much about magic just that 9th edition core decks were fun

Onslaught and Odyssey will forever hold the dearest place in my heart. This one plains from Odyssey in particular.

>I am too retarded to learn what each card says
Go play hearthstone.

For me llorwyn cos it was an awesome setting with cool fluff. (giant player)

Close second was original ravnica for the same reasons.

Third was theros cos I'm a sucker when it comes to mythology

Mirrodin>Kamigawa>Ravnica
For me magic ended at these, there is no point in plaing anything else.
Onslaught was super cool thou and made me start to colect all sorts of Goblins from Magic.
Good times, Furt you will be missed.

It was a common complaint at the time, even from experienced players, that all the conditional triggers, activated abilities, and counters made it virtually impossible to plan anything more complicated than alpha strike all the time.

Ravnica
I'm afraid of voicing that opinion though in fear of them going back there yet again and ruining it even further with shitty card designs and their Jacetice League wank.

Lorwynn, Time Spiral, Kamigawa

Masques does it for me

Time Spiral was fucking good though, also Lorwyn and New Phyrexia. Many love Innistrad.
Fuck everything else though

Shards of Alara because Esper and Bant

I have a soft spot for Invasion. Hell, the old art and card designs were more appealing to me as a whole, to be honest.

I absolutely hated both artifact sets, though. Something about their design was just boring to me (and I would have liked New Phyrexia of Infect wasn't printed. Most unfun mechanic to ever exist).

>9th
>not 8th or 10th
You had one job.

The Innistrad block has got to be my favourite so far. Werewolves were fun to build around and I'm a sucker for Angel cards.
I skipped the last few sets after the Innistrad block but the ancient Egypt theme got me right back in.

>be 11
>go to local game store on a busy street in town
>get ice age booster deck
>tight
>walk across busy street
>get hit by car going 45mph
>rag doll up and over
>lose consciousness
>wake up in ambulance
>"are my cards ok?"
>walk away with no broken bones or stitches

Theros
hrrrrnnnnnggg

>nobody routing for tempest block
The power level was big but fair, there were shittons of great interactions and the good deck variance was possibly the biggest the game ever had

only because you were stupid, future sight is the best set

M15. I fell in love with its black-white aesthetic and cards were neat too. Still using pick related, m15 playmate and deckbox for my main deck

Cool how Torment corrupted the basic land art

Torment. It came out when I was young, and reminds me of happier times. Also I had Chainer, which was nice. Pretty neat for a younger kid.

dreadlocks and tribal tattoos so fucking late 90's/early 00's

Yeah, but back then it was cool to me.

9th edition? That's all reprints. Why would you even like that?

Anyway, I suppose I rather liked Innistrad. It had some pretty cool stuff and I had just come off of a 4 year break.

Just finished sleeving my Tempest cube, should get some games in this evening.

>late 90's/early 00's
The golden age of mankind, say it ain't so.

acting like I was saying it was a bad thing

Big fan of Lorwyn, it's when I started and I just love the tribal feel of it all.

I wonder if we'd ever go back to Lorwyn now that we're on a two-part block system?

Future Sight was not only the worst designed set in that block, but also ruined the limited format with Sprout Swarm.

The age between Torment and Lowryn was the golden age. In terms of gameplay it was the most balanced period (even with Dark Confidant and Tarmogoyf toward the end of it) and lore-wise they nailed the absolutely perfect idea of making self-contained, short storylines in worlds that weren't as one-dimensional as the newer ones.

I sure hope not, I wouldn't want them to fuck that up too. The more we let Lorwynn and Kamigawa be, the better.

Alara block, because I liked the story and the color combos.
Ravnica, because I LOVED the story and the setting.
Kamigawa, because that's when I started playing and I still remember how amazing it felt to start in the era of ninjas, samurai and spirits. So yeah, mostly because of nostalgia.
Special mention: Lorwyn and Shadowmoor, I loved how they mirrored each other

>They were my first sets

Mine too! Or at least first ones when I really got into Magic (I had picked up some Shadowmoor at one point put my friends weren't really into it). RTR if my favorite block.

It was also where I learned that two-colored cards weren't always allied-colored.