Starting out

I played DnD 3.5 in highschool. Was wanting to get back into playing table tops. I don't think I want to buy 5k$ worth of miniatures and books, so I would probably be down with pdfs.

Any suggestions on what to play? Starfinder looks cool, but won't be out until August.

D&D 5e. You're already familiar with the setting and system, so it should be easy to pick up. Supposed to be better than 4e. I've played 4e and a little of 5e, so far I would agree.

If you want more than that, what genres are you interested in?

You don't need to buy miniatures either. I'd recommend using Roll20 or just using makeshift tokens if you need them. A bit of paper with a drawing and a name will do just fine.

I'm just not versed in most shit. I think I hated 4e, because of the casualization of it. I was going to go to Pathfinder, but my friends at the time had already fucked off.

I like CoC, 40k, DnD and anything cyberpunky.
Problem is not knowing enough to do a god damn thing with any of them. Shadowrun seems like it would be cool, but idk what all pdfs I'd need to download.

I also thought that beginnings of Fallout pnp looked great, but Bethesda Jew'd them or something. Can't remember.

Shadowrun is good but it's also complicated. Just pop over to the Shadowrun General and you can download PDFs.

Warhammer 40k RPG also has a General thread and you can get into the megafolder which has most everything. If you went 40k, I'd recommend starting with Only War unless you really want to be a space marine or something.

Not sure if we have a CoC thread or not. Much less where you could get a pdf. For free that is, drivethruRPG should have it but it costs money

Cyberpunk 2020 is another cyberpunk game, some people prefer it over Shadowrun for various reasons (no magic being a big one).

As for what pdfs to download? All of the ones you can. Then just pop open the core rules and get reading. Ignore the supplements at first. Introduce them slowly over time as you master the game.

To the best of knowledge there has never been an official Fallout PnP, only fan made ones. Which you should be able to find around on the internet. I do know Beth has tried to stop it, but they can go fuck themselves.

Is "Cyberpunk 2013" the way to go with these books it mentions?

Wouldn't know. Cyberpunk 2020 is one of those things that I'm aware of but have never played. Shadowrun has been enough for my cyberpunk needs.

Was Pathfinder any good? Never got around to playing it.

Never played it either. From what I've heard from friends it's a slightly better 3.5. Veeky Forums either thinks it's amazing or that it invalidates martials even more than 3.5 does.

Does 5e have a well known repo that people on tg uses? Guessing you may not be able to share the exact source if it does.

Be better to ask them yourself. All my D&D stuff was given to me by a friend.

Pathfinder General

D&D 5e General

Shadowrun General

Warhammer 40k RPG General

As for sharing sources, how new are you? This is a mongolian basket weaving tutoring site, no one cares if you post free pdfs.

lol Thank you. I love baskets.

No, CP2013's the older version. You want CP2020 version 2.01, that's the fully errata'd second edition.

Stop hitting Enter after every line, you fucking Reddit spacer. Go back to /r/rpg if you can't stop attention-whoring by making your post 3x the size it needs to be. It looks disgusting. Warhammer 40k and Shadowrun are both crap settings, the former is edgelord bullshit and the latter is highschool-tier social commentary tacked onto a kitchen sink bullshit. Call of Cthulu is fun in concept but the system is shit. Cyberpunk 2020 is a pretty good game, but is pretty shitty.

3.5 is okay but Pathfinder is complete shite.

>D&D 5e.

Except 5e is garbage, the rules are decently streamlined but it's full of arbitrary limitations, the content for the game is basically null, the art and flavor are vomit-worthy. The Monster Manual looks nice but once you've run about ten sessions in the system you realize it's all the same shit. Also you only get 20% better at your skills throughout the entire game, for the sake of (((((bounded accuracy))))), a meme 5fags often recite, but few understand why the fuck it exists or why it is important, only that "it lets gnolls hit my 20th level character easily and this is a good thing" (for some reason).

Kind of sounds like 'Why play anything?'

>thinks formatting so a post is easier to read it plebbit cancer

It's not easier to read, though. Each sentence does not need to be its own paragraph. What you are saying is not that important. If you are going to do bullet points, do fucking greentext or asterisks.

>Kind of sounds like 'Why play anything?'

I didn't say that. I said that those systems were shit. There are a lot of good RPG systems out there, but D&D 5e, Shadowrun, and Call of Cthulu are far from being on that list.

OP here, I also think his post doesn't make much sense. Pretty obnoxious as well.

>I didn't say that. I said that those systems were shit.

Then name some. Just shitting on the ones named doesn't seem very productive.

>Call of Cthulu
is fine

Doe I just get the 7th edition books or whatever? I don't know shit about it other than stuff I've seen/read in other places. Never read any of the novels either.

>Doe I just get the 7th edition books
Nah, go for 6e, it's more backwards-compatible.

>Nah, go for 6e, it's more backwards-compatible.
Okay, I'll try to look up some stuff on it. Any repos/sources would be appreciated.

>Any repos/sources would be appreciated.
mediafire /folder/h9qjka0i4e75t/Call_Of_Cthulhu

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2E is really, really good. The system itself is my all time favorite, and if you like grim and perilous adventure, it can't be beat.

Thank you. Bookmarked. Would you say this would be easy for newbies to learn? One of them played 3.5 a shitload and another only played 4e or some shit.

>Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2E
I'll write that down somewhere as well. I know one of the people I may play with really likes 40k. I do as well. We've never played tabletop, though.

Yeah, probably. But if they play it like it's D&D they'll die horribly.

Just grab basic fantasy rpg (pfd is free if you don't want a hard copy) ,grab a vinyl grid tablemat with some markers, and use some placeholder tokens until you decide if you want to keep on with the hobby.

>3.5 is okay
>but it's full of arbitrary limitations
>the content for the game is basically null
>this is a good thing" (for some reason).

Found the assmad autist who is upset 5e is less of a "pick your snowflake superpower" superhero game than he wanted it to be

As a note, avoid 3E completely. It is more of a board game, and it is a bad game to boot.

>not making dungeons out of dollar store foam board, and using popsicle sticks, hot glue, and 50 cent acrylic paints for the rest

>There are a lot of good RPG systems out there, but D&D 5e, Shadowrun, and Call of Cthulu are far from being on that list.
>Call of Cthulu
>not good
even shadowrun is debatable but, congratulations, this confirms you as a complete retard

ignore him. my advice is 40K RPG, particularly Dark Heresy (edition is less important, imho). acolytes in service is easier to get into than playing as soldiers in Only War.

I'll keep that in mind.
Mine wouldn't look like that. It'd just look like dogshit.

>Found the assmad autist who is upset 5e is less of a "pick your snowflake superpower" superhero game than he wanted it to be

I liked the adventures I had with 3.5 and learning DnD, but I swear to god this is what our DM did. He would just make some overpowered bullshit character and shit on us. No lie, this fuck would have a bs character that he would interchange as an NPC and have grafts and other goofy shit that he would have other NPC's do for him while he was playing with us. He'd get so fucking mad if we face wrecked a NPC he had made or humiliated it. I don't even mean if we did horrible shit to it, but if we beat it too quickly or if a player gloated while doing dmg. He was a pos.

They probably would, but I may just do it anyway.

it's really not THAT different

second

it's a precursor to darkk heresy, another reason to look into that family of games

CoC is very different from D&D. it's not about being heroes and having cool powers. it's more about story. the story of playing normal as they are being led to their (probable) slaughter/madness. once your players embrace the tragedy of the situation, it's actually quite a liberating experience.

Not him but honestly 3.5 isn't all that bad.
HOWEVER
The thing I hate most about 3.5 is that modifier creep is insane even at level 7ish you have people making melee attack at +15 and high modifiers which makes what should be competent protection (plate armor and large shield) practically worthless to the point where you're probably better off naked for the extra movement.

after playing around with all the different editions I've settled on ADND/2e.
The basic rules are pretty simple, and they provide plenty of extra rules with more complex variants making it easy to run a game the way you wish without having to gut the game.
Modifiers stay reasonable just a +1 on THAC0 is pretty massive a low level fighting man can feasibly hit high level monsters without too much issue however AC can get pretty crazy.

The only thing I disliked about 2e is that it's a bit more difficult to determine what is a challenging or reasonable encounter for my players as challenge rating was never really a thing at the time instead you're supposed to go by dungeon level experience budget which doesn't work so well I find.
It's not a huge problem but requires some practice figuring out what characters can handle and how many creatures you can throw at them without it being a cakewalk or murdering everyone

>He was a pos.
God... He was such a shithead. We had such weirdass goings on with our campaigns. Half of it didn't even revolve around the campaigns themselves. The other half DID, but most of it could have been mitigated by the group of manchildren not acting like children.

It's crazy how terrible my characters were, but they were also probably the most legit out of all of them.

Are you talking about DnD 3.5? I played that. Was the first and only one I've played.

>Cyberpunk 2020 is a pretty good game, but is pretty shitty
What?

The bulk of my post is ranting about my thoughts on ADnD/DnD2e

DnD 3.5 on the other hand has some of the worst modifier creep I've seen.
Expensive and even magical armor is next to useless against a Mid-Low level fighter or monster, and even at that point you should just be a spellcaster.
It's not all bad, some people like having big numbers, but it causes a lot of problem to the mechanics of the game itself.

>Found the assmad autist who is upset 5e is less of a "pick your snowflake superpower" superhero game than he wanted it to be

That is nothing like what 3.5 was you stupid fuck. 5e is basically "pick one of three character options and oh some feats as well which are boring as fuck."

5e is just bland and empty, the piss-trickle of new content is just not worth waiting for. 3.5 has broken math, shitty action economy & movement rules, and a bit too much caster supremacy. But at least it's from a time when the game wasn't trying to pander to normies and having zero character as a result, just bland cliche fantasy look that looks like art for your average forgettable Kickstarter video game that gets played twice and forgotten.

>3e
>board game
>more so than 4e
Okay.
>bad game to boot
I see you read nothing but Veeky Forums memes.

He's talking about WFRP 3e you illiterate.

Would you say that 5e is good? Guy above said it was a bit more like the previous editions.

I haven't actually played much with it aside from one or two oneshots but it does atleast seem better than 3e/3.5
It still has many problems but what game doesn't?
As far as sword and sorcery/fantasy RPG I would just recommend ADnD/2e, Riddle of Steel, or Midnight (Just my opinionated favorites).

That being said 5e might be a good starting point if you're not quite a grognard yet. An rpg called "Basic fantasy" might be something you could look into as well if you're just getting into the hobby.
Above all else RPGs are a social experience so it doesn't actually matter which game you get into all you need is people you enjoy talking to and hanging out with, however I've found the longer I've played I've started caring (and becoming more elitist) about the actual mechanics, and the flavor provided or implied by the mechanics. If you like the engine behind the game more it's easier to have fun with it.

5e is the tofu and white rice of RPGs. It's bland and flavorless, but it won't give you cancer like the 3.5 buffet and your GM can make something good out of it if he tries.

What are your recommended RPG's?

Depends entirely on what genres you like and how much crunch you want in a game.

I'd rather have a "bland" game that I spice up with a good story. But hey, that might just be the difference between rollplay and roleplay.

Admittedly I haven't played a lot. That said, I'm enjoying it so far. Seems a bit better than 4e and nowhere near as bad as 3.pf. I'd have no issue recommending 5e as something good to get started with.

>Cyberpunk
Shadowrun.

>Fantasy
Tie between D&D 5e and Iron Kingdoms. No idea why IK doesn't get more love here. I haven't played since the first year it released and there wasn't a lot of content then. Maybe that's why?

>Grimdark
Warhammer 40k Only War RPG.

>recommending SR
>ever
Do not do this thing.

Or you could play the good edition of Shadowrun (AKA 3rd) and not the clusterfuck of 4th and 5th

Shadowrun isn't as bad as others. Honestly it's pretty good. The biggest issue is the clusterfuck that the matrix always is. Which I usually just gut the matrix rules so we aren't constantly hung up on that shit when we have a hacker.

There are still much better cyberpunk systems out there, though.

Depends on what you're looking for. I'll admit the thing that has me hooked on Shadowrun is the magic.

Not a single mention of World of Darkness?

>I think I hated 4e, because of the casualization of it

I too, prefer games with a fair amount of obfuscation of mechanics. It helps keep the normies out.

That looks really cool. Any suggestions there? Like, sources and or editions you suggest to play?

Played it, not a fan. Especially with some of the things they've been doing with new editions. Such as supporting mpreg. If you don't know what that is, be glad not to know the horror. Basically men can get pregnant