Roleplaying in German

I'm thinking about starting a tabletop roleplaying game with a bunch of friends. Our native language is German, and while I my English is good enough to get the important information from an RPG rulebook, this isn't true for all of my friends and switching back and forth between two languages while playing is awkward.
I am quite familiar with DnD 3.0, 3.5, Pathfinder and 5e. But most of those books are only available in English. I also really don't wanna play DSA (The Dark Eye).
Do you guys have any suggestions on what games to play? Do you have any PDFs to share?
Will bump with inspirational art.
Do you guys know

Other urls found in this thread:

prometheusshop.de/deutsche-rollenspiele/symbaroum/3823/symbaroum-grundregelwerk
drive.google.com/open?id=0BxN8ZmpKSmOsY2s2akctRm81X2M
dungeon-world.com/downloads/Dungeon_World_Play_Sheets.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Only books I own in German are degenesis and savage world's, savage world's was my first RPG it's nice that it is a generic system but I think it is somewhat clunky and I only played a single campaign with it.
I really like degenesis but the setting is hit or miss for most people and you can't really play without being at least somewhat familiar with the fluff, and the books are quite expensive, I don't really know how expensive the pdfs are though.

>Do you guys know
Oops

There was the same identical thread the other day but in Polish.
Intredasting...

7th Sea got a German Edition recently, so that's a thing, depending how you feel about the system.
Also, there should be a lot of DnD/Pathfinder stuff in German, and if you're lucky, you might even find some Werewolf: The Forsaken and definitely Vampire: The Requiem.

And there's always the possibility to just translate the important system stuff and character sheets.

The polish dude didn't want to play dsa too, that's really interesting.

Also forgot to mention that I also have aborea in German, never played it but it seems like a nice enough d20 fantasy system to me.

Nice to know, I was thinking about running a seventh see one-shot just last week.

The book is also quite cheap, considering the production values.

Play DSA instead. Yes, I read your entire post.

>The polish dude didn't want to play dsa too

Because it's a very generic and boring version of D&D, even worse than Forgotten Realms. Ain't nobody wants to play that, son.

Splittermond. Highly reminiscent of DSA, but actually playable (from the looks of it).

Otherwise, translating the playbooks of PbtA games is fairly easy and allows you to run the game without constantly switching to English.

I heard Shadowrun is pretty big in Germany. Rules are kinda messy, though.

>boring version of D&D
you mean it doesn't have stupid blue-hair elves and other WOW-style influences? got it.

I guess I should have clarified: I wanna play a classic fantasy setting, so the themes of DnD, DSA, and Savage Worlds are good enough. I don't like the setting of Degenesis just from reading through them real quick.
7th Sea does look interesting, maybe I'll give it a more thorough reading.
DSA is incredibly clunky and detailed. There are half a dozen programs out there to help you with character creation alone, and that still takes at least half an hour.

Aborea/Rolemaster seems really interesting though. The DM of my last group wanted to convert our Pathfinder session to Rolemaster, but then she lost time and motivation.
Thanks. Splittermond seems interesting.
Guess it is, but like I said and should have wrote in the OP: I wanna play classic fantasy.

>DSA is too complicated for me!
>I have an idea: let's play Rolemaster instead
>mfw
if anything, try to get your hands on MERS and some modules, which got translated into German, iirc. other than that, you could try to get Warhammer Fantasy-Rollenspiel. if you don't want English nor DSA, your best bet is getting those old games.

Go in a Boardgame or miniature store atleast here in Switzerland (of the 3 I usually visit) I know they usually atleast sell core book of 5ed and pathfinder on german.
Or go for DSA it is fun, just use the pre-assembled character sets

We never got around to playing rolemaster, so I don't really know what it's like.
>5ed and pathfinder
I thought they wanted to do this thing where they translate it from the French version for copyright reasons and thus, there still is no German version of 5e. Or is it in Alemannic?

Symbaroum is quite interesting, and the German print run should be finalized soon.
>prometheusshop.de/deutsche-rollenspiele/symbaroum/3823/symbaroum-grundregelwerk
The system seems nice, though I haven't tried it myself. It uses d20s, but rather than roll over like d&d it's roll under. And at 20€ it's rather cheap.
Characters are classless, and chargen is rather straightforward imo.
>Do you have any PDFs to share?
Sure, but my german one is watermarked, so I can only share the english one.
>drive.google.com/open?id=0BxN8ZmpKSmOsY2s2akctRm81X2M
Grab it while it's there. I'll delete it later.

Shadowrun is popular in Germany from what I hear

Splittermond, maybe?

Isn't Unknown Armies 2nd edition really popular in germany too?
I heard the german translation has way more effort put into it than anyone would expect of something like it, all new original artwork, localizations if you want the game to be set in germany etc.

>Or is it in Alemannic?
Good god I don't know if I could handle reading something like D&D rules in Alemannic, every time I hear someone speak like that I have to laugh.
I don't know how native german speakers can handle it.

Dude, our main language is spanish. 99% of the games we play are English. If we can play, you can too. Just play 5e. I'm sure there must be a german character sheet somewhere, just use that and you'll be fine

You vastly overestimate the linguistic ability and willingness to use foreign languages of Germans.

Oh lord no. You did not just suggest that game, did you?

The problem is our school system.
If you suck at Math you cant learn good english either.
but at least we arent the french. those assholes arent even trying

1) Grab any RPG book that interests you.
2) Learn the rules. As you said, English is not an issue for you personally.
3) Run a game for your friends. Don't have them read the books if they're not comfortable with that, just run the game and take care of the rules yourself.

Let's hear your grievances with the system then.

I am not sure what exactly you are referring to.
The Hauptschule/Realschule/Gymnasium split?

Anyone have sauce on that crow .gif, please ?
Really love the style and feel of it

We the French don't need to try because we are naturally the best at everything
The only times we "fail" at something is because we are so humble and benevolent we understand you brits and krauts need your time in the spotlight from time to time and we let you have it

PLAY DUNGEON WORLD

IT'S LIKE A RULES-LITE VERSION OF D&D

IT'S FUN

dungeon-world.com/downloads/Dungeon_World_Play_Sheets.pdf

>switching back and forth between two languages while playing is awkward.
This isn't true though. If you're playing with people who're at least a little bit nerd, it will come naturally. I speak dutch, but every group I've ever had throws in words like 'map' and 'armor' without any problem.

This guy has a point.
Don't trust the shitposters, it's fun.

>Let's hear your grievances with the system then.
Everything is fucked. Seriously. It has a whole bunch of highly complex rules that work to acomplish almost nothing. The Tick Initiative for example is a really great idea. In practice however it means that any sort of armor is a massive liability. Or the magic system which has you jumping through hoops, spending very finite resources just to do what a peasant with a crossbow could do infinitely better.

We only played it once, but that wa a testament to it's awefulness. We just aborted the session halfway and I don't remember us ever doing that before.

It's a long and serious round of playtesting away from being a great game, but as it is it's just horrible.

>bawwwww casters aren't wrecking everyone else therefore the game is shit bawwwww
D&D kiddies, everyone

Also hier im örtlichen Hobby Shop gibt es regelbücher für alles, von cthullu bis shadowrun auf deutsch und englisch.
Jeder gute Hobby laden sollte die auf Lager haben. Ansonsten Google mal die üblichen Verleger wie Pegasus spiele oder guck auf Amazon.

I'm Danish and also this.

If only you could read.

Savage Worlds is cheap, good and readily available in German. The translations are good, no problems there.

Like I said, I'm virtually bilingual with English and I have at least some knowledge of three other languages. The problem is my other players. Code-switching can get extremely awkward and not all our knowledge of English is on the same level.
Thanks m8s
Es gibt zumindest nen Laden hier inner Stadt, wo man Warhammer-Miniaturen kaufen kann. Vielleicht schau ich da mal vorbei. Bin aber 1 pissarmer Student und werde versuchen, so viel wie möglich umsonst zu bekommen. Muss fürs Drucken in der Uni auch nichts bezahlen, wenn ich's richtig anstelle.
Savage World was the one where you need a deck of cards for a bunch of things, wasn't it?

Reform your elementary education system so children actually learn English.

Read the thredd

Play ADOM RPG, it recently came out.

Call of Cthulhu and Mythras have german translations if you're good enough to use the best die.

I only remember using the cards for Initiative.

>Savage World was the one where you need a deck of cards for a bunch of things, wasn't it?
Only for initiative, which can be replaced with rolling easily if you don't want to use cards.
There's also the action cards, which are very optional and only for you if you like [Spoiler]fun[/Spoiler]

No, I hate fun.

>Like I said, I'm virtually bilingual with English and I have at least some knowledge of three other languages. The problem is my other players. Code-switching can get extremely awkward and not all our knowledge of English is on the same level.
So? Sounds just like my group back then and we didn't have any problem playing in Denglisch.