/bgg/ Board Game General

It's time for another edition of /bgg/

Old thread:
Pastebin:
pastebin.com/NA2W929q

> What game are you wanting to play?

> What game are you hoping to avoid?

> What (if anything) is on your 'buy soon' list?

Other urls found in this thread:

coolstuffinc.com/p/241047
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Apparently I'm on a 'Martin Wallace' kick. I want to play more of 'The Arrival' and I picked up a copy of 'Hit Z Road' which is a fun light-weight 4 player game where each player tries to survive a trip through a Zombie Apocalypse while collecting the most points along the way. And I'm awaiting the arrival of 'A Handful of Stars' as well.

Catan - this game just doesn't do much for me.

Hoping to find a copy of Nemo's War once the KS ships.

>What game are you wanting to play?
The L5R reboot

>What game are you hoping to avoid?
Continuing to try and avoid any of these "big rpg in a box games" like GH or KD:M. They seem fun but pricy and there's just too much to really ever play it all.

That and I'll always try to be convincing my brother to play something other than pandemic.

>Buy list
Millennium Blades Set Rotation for personal reasons and I'd like to get SECRETS by Lang and Faidutti when it comes out so I can do a review of it (that means finding people who'll play it and let me record them too..)

Collection wagglan all day every day. Feel free to ask me about any of the games.

Hows space alert?

Have you played star realms?

>Continuing to try and avoid any of these "big rpg in a box games" like GH or KD:M.

I can related. I keep looking at 'To Many Bones' - but it's damn expensive and I haven't done enough research to know if it's really worth the the steep $$$.

>I'd like to get SECRETS by Lang and Faidutti when it comes out so I can do a review of it (that means finding people who'll play it and let me record them too..)

That sounds cool. Hopefully we'll see your work online soon.

What are 'Leaving Earth' and 'One Deck Dungeon' like?

>Want to play
Chaos in the Old World
>Hope to avoid
Machi Koro
>To buy list
No money for games atm. Sad times. I'd love Kanban.

Damn, you literally just asked about 3 games I got yesterday. I went to Kublacon in SF and I met the designer of Leaving Earth, saw him explain the game but didn't have the time to play because I had to go to a VtES tournament.

Leaving Earth looks reasonably simple, if I was to compare it to something I would say Power Grid. The game has reasonably simple rules but requires a lot a calculation to optimize your project. There'a a lot of small calculations and if you make a mistake, you're kinda fucked. Still, it looks like it works amazingly at creating the feel of running a huge project and every decision seems excruciating, which is what I like in my games.

I just finished reading the rulebook to One Deck and it looks like another Asmadi game, lots of cards used in a very clever way ending up with infinite replayability. It also uses dice in a clever way, I will probably play it later today and report on it.

Star Realms is a run of the mill deckbuilder. Very easy to get into, plays quickly, offers sufficient interesting choices to keep a beginner interested. I'd definitely use it to get somebody who's not into boardgames interested in the medium but seasoned players will find other games better. Personally, my favorite is Marvel Legendary because of the crazy combos.

Really want to try out Kemet with a group that also hasnt played it
Anything with fucking trains
Nothing. I cant think of a single game Im hyped for. That said, I have discoveter all the most cherished games in my collection after they had been released for some time

>I'd love Kanban.
Kanban is great. I have no idea why people think this is Lacerda's worst game. That goes to Vinhos.

>Damn, you literally just asked about 3 games I got yesterday.

Heh! That's always the way it works user. Always. Thanks for quick reviews of Leaving Earth and One Deck. Both sound interesting and I'll have to do a bit of research.

>I have discoveter all the most cherished games in my collection after they had been released for some time

discoveter = discovered?

Wow! I don't know about game mechanics, but that board is overly busy graphics wise...

Which one would you recommend?

I'm looking for a cooperative game, and we like Cthulhu. Arkham Horror is out of question since it's too rules-heavy and too long.

Now, from what I've read, all of these are very similar. Which would you recommend for a group of four players, two of which are female and mostly on the amateur side when it comes to gaming.

We regularly play Lords of Waterdeep, Dead of Winter and basic stuff like Carcassonne or Catan (sometimes even Monopoly). I'm kind of partial to games with actual boards, not just cards, but if you can sell me on Elder Sign, I'm okay with it.

Honestly, none of those. Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition blows all of them out of the water. Just save up some more money and get that.

>google it
>app-assisted horror game

I afraid that's a deal breaker.

>Things just happen the game
Yeah nah

Anyone else?

None of those, anything cthulhu is shit.

Current board state, haven't even started yet. I keep getting my ass handed to me playing glorious mother Russia but I'm never going to give up on her. Never!

I was skeptical at first but I loved the game after I tried it. I'd play that over any of the other games any given day.
Did you miss the part of the rulebook which explains how you can also take actions?

I haven't played either, but I hear the consensus is that eldritch outdid elder sign.

I've got an infestation of silverfish.
Any tips on keeping my games safe? Been thinking of just trying to get big ziplock bags.

Elder sign with expansions > Eldritch horror

I prefer elder sign because its much easier to teach and has some really neat gameplay in expansions

It's also less, GO HERE THING HAPPEN which I prefer

I'd say the AH TCG is above both though.

Give them Geekgold so they go away

Deck building is not our cup of tea, but you actually have me interested in in ES now.

Silverfish like damp and dark places. Get some silica dehumidifiers, ensure proper ventilation and lighting, remove or redistribute piles of books, paper and boxes. If you have old carpeting, wallpaper, ducts or drywall you may want to have a pest control guy come over, silverfish like to hang out in such places.

Someone here plays Pandemic Cthulhu a lot and recommends it I think. I'd go for that too by process of elimination; Elder Sign is basically Cthulhu Yahtzee, if you don't mind that then it's a fine choice for something in between medium and too light, while Eldritch Horror is recommended often as *the* Cthulhu board game, but can be heavy or slow to the unfamiliar, maybe even brutal (the whole game is a bit like the death die in Dead of Winter). Pandemic is a well received title for beginners, and the Cthulhu version is apparently different enough to be worth a shot, though it is undoubtedly still Pandemic.

You might need an actual pest control person to come out cause those damn things are tenacious af

I've given up on ever killing them.
Seen many come out of the drainage or sneak from other flats via the front door, it never ends with these guys.
I could keep my games in a sunlit and ventilated shelf maybe, but then the box art would probably decolorize.

Nice to see you talking about me but I'd like to warn about something first.
You don't play Pandemic Cthulhu if you really enjoy the lore and atmosphere behind the original Lovecraft short stories and novels. You play it because it's a different and more interesting (for me) take on Pandemic. There's absolutely zero lore experience and very few of the mechanics you usually find in Lovecraft-based games (like using firearms, magic, events and curses). The only mechanic that is actually respected is the SAN tokens and the downsides of madness.
If the player you responded to is looking for a lore-heavy game, he might as well go for Eldritch Horror.

Not the sun shining on the boxes themselves, you troglodyte, just good lighting in a room is enough.
Separate the shelves an inch or so from the wall, use boric acid paste traps, cover drains, let some pet geckos loose... And nailed the dehumidifier thing.

Obviously. Im a phone poster, I admit it. 2006 resident oldfag though, so I dont really feel bad about it

Ah, I saw too many bones as well but I was worried it'd be too ameritrashy. I'm more a fan of gloomhavens puzzley battles.

And yeah secrets looks pretty fun, I won't shill my reviews round here (I've onky just started making them) but I hope one day I can at least help people make good purchases with them :)

From someone who has played every arkham game extensively and has sold off everything besides MoM 2nd ed and the LCG

LCG >>>> MoM 2nd ed >>Eldritch >MoM 1st edition = Arkham >>>> Elder sign (I enjoyed elder sign actuall).

They are all great games if you like ameritrash and the theme, but the LCG is undisputedly the perfected game, albeit being very expensive.

>Too Many Bones
Chip Theory puts out amazing looking games, but there's too many reviews I've read where people come to day 4 in a scenario and then no matter what get one-shot by a mob before they get a turn. There's threads on BGG about how "this isn't a problem, but how do we fix it?" which sounds pretty sketchy. Not to mention all the reviewers who said of the Hoplo series "it feels like a light game, trying to be a tactical game". Going to give them a couple hours at Gencon to test out one or two games, but it looks like far far lighter fare dressed up with nice mats and poker chips to look heavy.

I saw a reviewer that really liked Hoplo, but I wasn't blown away by it. As for 'To Many Bones' - yeah, I want to like it, but something has kept me from pulling the trigger on it. I can wait.

If it was Ricky Royal don't trust him, it's like Rahdo; he only reviews games he likes, and if it's got a solo mode he loves it.

Tragedy Looper, although I'd be fine with any of my heavier games.

Party games.

Sellswords. I'm trying to spend less on board games.

So I played 3 Unlock! escape room game scenarios this weekend. My thoughts so far

-The Formula: "meh" puzzles and relatively obvious progression. We failed anyway because we couldn't see a really faintly printed number on the corner of one of the cards, which ruined the whole scenario for us. The final few puzzles were clever but we were pretty over it by that point. Optimal player count is 3

-The Island of Dr. Groose: very satisfying puzzles and I personally liked the pace, variety, and sense of discovery this one offers. It made us split into groups which was awkward because 1) the other team had less to do, and had to wait for us a couple times while we puzzled things out 2) there were special restrictions preventing us from looking at each others' cards, but at one point we couldn't progress without literally comparing two cards side-by-side. Other than that, I like this scenario the most and so far it's the only one I actually recommend. Optimal player count is 6

-The Elite (publisher edition, not PnP): This was smaller and weaker than the others. It felt more like busy work trying to use keys to solve obvious ciphers. There were a couple "gotcha" puzzles I liked but overall it lacks teeth. This one is good only as a starter scenario maybe. Absolutely not worth the effort to PnP imo. Optimal player count is 2.

I'm still looking forward to trying the last scenario because the Unlock system as a whole is still promising. I got these shipped to me for free so I can't really be too disappointed.

If you don't want your experience ruined wholesale by having shitty vision, I recommend turning on automatic hints. It says "for beginners," but fuck that. We're blind, not idiots. Also player count is key. Players have to take turns looking at each card, and The Elite, for example. really only requires you to look at 2 cards at a time. The player counts printed on the boxes are bunk

Find a more overpriced game than five tribes

mafia de cuba

t. some chump who just got mafia de cuba

Amazon has it for $38 which seems reasonable, and I'm sure you can find it for cheaper somewhere else

There are some outrageously priced games on Print and Play Productions for what you get.
truu

Played the tutorial and The Elite when they first released it as a promo during a BGG contest. So many people complained about how if you didn't have an ultra high rez printer you were fucked, because they had 2-3 hints that were just too faint. In my case I tested it solo with the card files split up on my computer and still had issues seeing them from 2 inches away in 1080p. The system is decent but they really need better testing to not have that kind of problem; especially since both Escape Room: The Game and Escape the Room series have been out and successful for a while now. Asmodee is way behind on this one, and while it'd be really easy to make up a pack of cards and update scenarios fast, there's no point to it if you have to run to the internet for help every time.

this

lol I won that contest. I actually had no problem with hidden objects on The Elite, but my cards were printed by the publisher sooo...

MoM2
Splendor

Kingdom Death :^)

Glad to know someone at this /bgg/ is winning over at the other BGG; I've entered every contest there for like 2 years now and never won anything; although to be fair I got tired of having to go through kickstarters so now I just go B-C-D-C-B-A-B on all the quizzes unless it's a game I REALLY want.

As for The Elite it was the #4 hidden on the wallet (I only saw it zooming in, think my gamma was off for what they wanted), lots of printers didn't pick that up, or the red candle, making people think the kid was only 8 in the birthday photo.

A lot of garbage games get promoted in contests so I rarely bother. This was the first one I've entered in a while

We already knew from a hint for the laptop card that the kid's birthday was the PIN. I think most people's intuition would tell them "a wallet? it must contain a photo with the date written on it." I looked up and down for maybe a good 10 seconds but I knew something had to be there.

Oh I don't enter because I want to win, I enter because it's free kickstarter pledges if you do win, and that's just math trade fodder for later. So much meh plastic on those contests.

out of those, Pandemic Cthulhu.

Supposedly Mountains of Madness by Rob Daviau is coming out this year. It's supposed to be a lighter party game but still worth a look

Heh! I think it was Ricky Royal IIRC.

>wanting to play anything by Daviau after Seafall
Fool me once user, shame on you. Fool me twice...

add 2/burn 2/steal 2

>add
Pax Pamir: Khyber Knives
Cosmic Encounter: Cosmic Incursion
>steal
Heroquest
An Infamous Traffic (is that pnp or published edition btw?)
>burn
flash point

>add
Something dexterity based, what do you play drunk at the bar? Rhino Hero/Bling Bling Gemstone depending if you'd rather have cheap or unbreakable. Also something else to buff up your 2p offerings, anything from the Kosmos line but since you seem to like theme LotR: The Confrontation.
>steal
Magic and Heroquest, then sell them and get something I want more
>burn
Coup and Skull didn't even have to look at the rest; you shouldn't pay IB&C for as anorexic a game as Coup (and I love IB&C for making Flashpoint/Resistance) and you should definitely not be giving money to French bankers for Skull, that's a game where you should have your creative gf/bf/spouse/kid/niece/nephew/sibling/underprivileged mentee making a custom set out of coaster and a set of markers.

>burning Flashpoint
I know the dice are scary and don't let you plan perfectly like Pandemic; that's a good thing

I filtered out expansions from my collection because I'm an expansion whore, but I do have both of those already! Haven't done enough plays of Pax Pamir with other people to mix the expansion in yet, even though it definitely looks like it wouldn't add too much complexity

AIT is the published edition, it was beautifully ironic that it was the first package that I had ever received with an Australian Border Force inspection notice which made me laugh

it was most likely because of the very fresh and strong scent of the ink

Hey a new board game came out and it's about dark souls but i can't find anything on it. Do any of you guys know where i can buy that? i'd appreciate the help.

Skull

It costs 30bucks and its just recolored coasters

thanks asmodee

It was a Kick Starter, so you'll have to do a google search on Dark Souls & K.S. It's 'OK' if you are in love with the theme. But it seems overly long on the 'grind' portion working up to a Boss fight, only then to have a long grind to kill the Boss. YMMV.

What's the consensus on 3D printing bootleg miniatures?

Well you have to ask yourself, would you 3D print a car?

Are you scanning and then printing the exact minis from an existing game? Because that's pretty shitty. Granted the artists aren't getting a cut out of sales (hell FFG artists have stated they get paid way less doing work for the publisher than they do in any other job) but if the game doesn't sell they're not getting picked up for another commission creating more sculpts.

If it was a KS exclusive though? Go fucking nuts and flood the market; that shit needs to be murdered. If it's out of print or you're just doing something generic? No real harm there either.

Well that depends. How good are the bootlegs, and how many are you giving me?

Shit, there's a game based on italian cannibal movies ?

I've always wanted a game based on Fulci's surrealist horror movies. When ?

>but if the game doesn't sell they're not getting picked up for another commission creating more sculpts.

but half the time a game not selling has nothing to do with the minis itself.

>Someone hosts Khronos Hunter on TTS
>oin it
>Literally the first time playing
>Have only the faintest clue of what's going on
>Gather 100 mana and win the game even before I pass go for the first time

I have no idea what happened, but the table was flipped

Is troyes better worker placement than waterdeep+skullport?

Now that the dust has settled, was Scythe ever nothing more than a mediocre eurogame with cool?

*cool art

>/steal 2
Cave Evil, and Triumph & Tragedy.

Not that I've seen. In spite of all the hype from the designer about it being '4x like', it seems like a fairly bog-standard Euro game with 'a bit' of combat thrown in. Most folks who have played it point out that going combat heavy is not a terribly viable choice to win the game.

Who cares about 'combat', you sperg.

steal cave evil and warcults

add ta-seti and tzolk'in

burn one night ultimate normie and coup

>cool art

it look like low res photos and the lettering, proportions is all over the place. horrible looking game, the hexes also do not seem to mesh properly with the map, it's jarring.

>standard Euro game with 'a bit' of combat thrown in
Pretty much what everyone I've played it with has said; which is sad we already had a euro with combat in the SoA game that came out a couple years back, even better it's stupid cheap and clearanced all the time. Stonemaier does a very good job with components, and they seem to have figured out how to make interesting euros, but if Jamie wants to make a 4X or something theme heavy and Ameritrashy he needs to partner with someone new, or just bring in a different designer for it altogether.

Scythe is pretty good and definitely rates highly among eurogames.

Considering that the 'designer' hyped it as a "4x like" game - anyone who bought it with that in mind 'cares about combat' since it's a primary tenant of 4x games.

My small and humble starter collection. Any suggestions based on this? Im planning to get terraforming mars later this year and caverna/agricola/le havre ( still dont know which one )

Troyes isn't worker placement as such, but it sure as hell is a far better game.

Unless you play with faggots who won't look at a eurogame unless it has a pasted on fantasy theme.

>Any suggestions based on this?

What type of games do you / your group enjoy?
Co-operative
Direct competition (American style conflict games)
Indirect competition (Euro style games)
War games
etc

Agree with the other user, definitely not worker placement but a much better game. The combos you can pull off in Troyes if you're good at the game are only rivaled by Castles of Burgundy.

Euros , Direct and Coops

For 1(2)-5 players

I'm wondering when, if ever, Asmodee/FFG is going to cash in their last bit of good-will from their customer base.

I keep hearing more and more dissent and frustration with overpriced/overproduced games, incomplete 'core sets' for their LCGs, bloating expansions on numerous games, and how literally nothing from FFG contains enough dice/counters to actually comfortably play a full game.

Probably never. LCG morons keep complaining and still fall into the same money trap for their next card game. The production costs are so low for these you can always keep them around even if the player base is small.

New customers are finding them every day. As long as the hobby expands faster than they piss off old customers, they profit. There are signs that they're looking harder for new business though (SW Destiny, the failed euro spinoff). Pretty soon they'll have the L5R folks who were starved by AEG.

I found it more than mediocre. It's not the best game I've ever played, but it's certainly a good one.

I think the big point isn't that combat is good, but that the threat of combat is good. A lot of combat will sink you, but a bit of strategic combat can advance your position and hurt your opponents, so they have to be careful about giving you those opportunities.

Some folks don't like that, though, and that's reasonable.

I don't think it's mediocre, it's a pretty good game that was overhyped (probably because of the art.)

They currently straddle the LCG niche the best out of all the companies so not for a long time.

coolstuffinc.com/p/241047

Most of the games in my collection - I've fallen victim to the "cult of the new" a few times
CAH, Exploding Kittens, Dark Souls
I might pick something up at the UK Games Expo, but I can't really say I desperately need anything

I genuinely can't understand the hype over Exploding Kittens. Why did anyone think it was going to be good?

Apparently the artist had a bit of a fan base from way back, and internet memes sell well to normies who think they're funny.

Munchkin audience+Webcomic fanbase

How's Jaipur?

Don't. The boss fights can be fun, but the part before that is painfully dull. You don't really make any big decisions, just slow and steady go from room to room grinding for 2/3rds of the LONG playtime. Once you do get to the boss, it's painful losing because of bad dice chucks which I could take if it didn't take so fuckin long to get there making you do so much.

I like Gunnerkrigg Court but I wouldn't expect something made by Tom Siddell to be any good. Game design and comic design are totally different animals.

The Munchkin crowd explanation makes sense, though. I guess I just didn't think that people who need to tell someone else's jokes to be funny were that big a market.

To survive as Russia you will need the US and GB to step it up in China and/or India to keep Japan out of your asswhole. Then hunker down and make Germany pay for every inch of Russian soil they take!

>I think the big point isn't that combat is good, but that the threat of combat is good. A lot of combat will sink you, but a bit of strategic combat can advance your position and hurt your opponents, so they have to be careful about giving you those opportunities.

This is a sound description of how the game 'actually plays' and I don't think most folks would have an issue with it. The problem was the initial hype during the KS made it sound like the game was a 'Steampunk-fantasy' version of a 4x game like Eclipse with better political mechanics and more intrigue. I think this resulted in a lot of disappointed folks once the game first hit market. As a Euro game I'd say it's solid. But as a '4x like' game - not so much.