media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Last time, on /5eg/:
How do you make players feel safe at your table? Do you use X-cards or other tools?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/gBhvUgxfUjk?t=4m34
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>How do you make players feel safe at your table
I don't. The more unsettled and nervous they are the better.

>X-cards or other tools?
They bring their stuff, they pay for the pizza, I bring the story.

I mean I guess I have a couple sheets of paper and a pen if they really need it...

Just finished playing with a lizardfolk ranger, which let the others in the group begin working with RP and combat better. I burnt out and will be switching characters to my faceless gambler fey warlock of the chain. it breaks so many social encounters i didn't want to bust him out yet but i think they are ready.

literally page 2 OP, we were fine, why are you such a candyass

I'VE GOT A REAL PROBLEM WITH THIS OP IMAGE FEATURING AN ETHNIC WOMAN
why does she have jeans on? that's a huge fucking anchronism

>monk abilities deactivate if you put on armor
Oh? Which ones?

unarmoured, obviously
martial arts
and extra movement

Why the fuck can a Dryad only cast Shillelagh once per day? It's a goddamn cantrip.

>unarmoured
Well, I'm wearing armor so that's not an issue.
>martial arts
I guess if I'm wearing plate and a shield I can use a martial weapon, too
>extra movement
So I'm just as fast as any other non-Monk now

Hm

also what kind of fight with a dryad would go more than a minute?

Right, so all of the abilities that make you a monk, basically.

Why is wearing armor as a monk better than just being a fighter?

You can get higher AC as a naked monk than a fullplate fighter, or equal if the fighter has a shield.

At level 1, the monk might have the same AC as the fighter too.

>I guess if I'm wearing plate and a shield I can use a martial weapon, too
...And lose Dex as your hit/damage stat, so you'd need strength.

youtu.be/gBhvUgxfUjk?t=4m34
soon

You are just playing a fighter at this point

not if you take 3 monk levels and go kensai

I had a player leave because I wouldn't call her "they"

Except the new Kensai doesn't let that work...

at that point you should really want her at your table

fuck wizards I'm done

Gross.

It's my right as a human being to coerce you into speaking to me in a certain way.

That you disagree means you're a fucking bigot.

It's 2017. Educate yourself.

Yeah, just playing a Fighter with no Monk abilities who can
>bonus action Dash or Dodge
>Deflect ranged attacks or return to sender
>jump from great heights and land on his feet unharmed
>take no damage on Dex saves or half damage even if he fails with his shit Dex
>STUN CREATURES
>end Charm / Fear automatically as an action instead of praying for a save
>run up walls
>become immune to poison and disease

And one of the following:
>cast Darkness, Silence, and Pass Without Trace; teleport; turn invisible
>heal allies on a bonus action; get some skill proficiencies and advantage on Cha checks to calm people
>heal any time you kill something; Frighten all enemies within 30 feet; refuse to die
>spam knockdown and punt enemies around like a Battlemaster on crack; have a real big self-heal in addition to Second Wind; Sanctuary yourself
>shoot arguably piss-weak radiant firepuffs at everything; essentially cast Burning Hands as a bonus action; shoot gimped Radiant-Fireballs

>I want to make a build that wasn't ever intended or considered
>They fixed a rules issue and it accidentally stopped my build

I guess that's what you get for using UA, it's fine in most cases but if they change something that stops your specific build from working... it sucks balls.

Rip Lizardfolk Lance Kensai with no Wisdom

>>heal any time you kill something
It's not healing though, it's temp HP.

Do you allow a passive acrobatics score? I think I'm going to start doing so, and letting my players know I would do so. The risk of failure is too much of a deterrent for them to try interesting maneuvers.

It's okay, you can play an armored archer Kensei.
Take Archery style, be a Dex build, wear plate and move real slow unless you're a Dwarf or also pumped your Str and use a longbow as a Kensei, add 1d4 to all of your attacks forever.

what the fuck this woman isn't black

>Pretending any of that matters aside from 'stun shit'
>Spending ki on anything other than stunning enemies

Right, so you're playing a character that is directly worse than a monk, because the monk can do all of that, while having the same AC, and attacking 3-4 times a round instead of 2.

All without requiring literally any equipment (except a stick, if you want), while the fighter requires a weapon, fucking expensive armor, and a shield.

Hawaiian doesn't have a rhotic (R) sound, like Navajo or Japanese.

Do Kobolds make good Monks?

Mechanically of course, in fluff Kobolds are good at everything.

Good luck stunning shit in Storm King's Thunder.

>pretending stunning shit is relevant when you can be an edgemaster ninja and never fight at all.

The fight never fought is a fight well won my friend. Stealth leads to ignorance, ignorance to peace, and peace to victory.

triggers me as well

>while having the same AC
People always forget this, only takes to level 8 to have AC equal to Plate on a well built Monk.

What level do most official adventures give you access to buying Plate? 6? 8? It's not a level 1 thing and if your DM does it he should be stabbed in the kidneys.

They're mediocre if I remember kobold stats right.

You don't really need better hit chance when you do jack shit for damage as a monk anyway.
You only get +2 to dex, right?

Wood elf, variant human (mobile), stout halfling or whatever would be better.

I think you've made the best tank in the game solely because there is no reason to hit them

Well shit, is it at least passable? I really want to play one but I guess a Rogue is my backup option even though I would rather not be one.

It works and you'll be fine unless your DM is incredibly hardcore, but just don't do some stupid shit like thinking you're a tank or wasting ASIs on other things.

You'll have 15 AC until level 4 where hopefully you could get 17 AC. Without mobile, you'll end up locked in melee a lot.

But more importantly a kobold monk just sounds kind of stupid, to be honest. Little midget running around punching people in the shin sort of meme. But I guess monks don't do a lot of damage anyway so that's fine.

So after seeing this map, I had the intense urge to run a game set in mythic SE asia.
Beyond Oriental Adventures, are there any resources for this sort of setting?

>jeans
This almost annoys me as much as that spartan pic.

So, monks do great damage; until later on, or when compared to great weapon fighters. Remember, they're the first class to get 3 attacks on a turn (level 2, for the cost of 1 ki), or 4 at level 5, again for 1 ki.

That's without feats, of course.

Otherwise, they do good damage, and certainly outdamage rogues. If your party isn't min/maxed, you might be the highest damage dealer.

>Little midget running around punching people in the shin sort of meme
You do know that Halflings are canon really good Monks? They even have the whole Hin Fist thing centered around them.

As far as Forgotten Realms go, short Races are actually common among Monks.

speaking of this, should my goblin monk go long death or shadow

Any benefits of being small would be greatly outweighed by the benefits of being bigger.
And anyway, wouldn't bigger body = more ki?

Aside from that, kobolds don't really seem to be the sort for all this ki flow stuff unless you flavour it as some sort of harnessing of draconic bloodlines. But then it kinda feels that kobold on most ideas is 'I want to play a small cute furry (but actually scaley) creature that does cool things despite being a tiny runt!'

>Any benefits of being small would be greatly outweighed by the benefits of being bigger.
Apparently not in a fantasy game of pretend.

>And anyway, wouldn't bigger body = more ki?
Yeah, wouldn't a bigger body mean more imaginary game resource?

You sound remarkably unpleasant; not even giving the guy a chance to make his character, shooting down the idea without hearing the background.

You are where fun goes to die.

Someone please explain to me how spellcasting works for clerics. Assume I know nothing about DnD.

As you progress as a cleric, you have a number of spell slots as shown in the table of class features and shit, at the start of the cleric section.

You can use these slots (it might make more sense to think of slots as very specific mana. Imagine you have 9 different mana bars (levels 1 through 9)) to cast spells.

At the end of every long rest, you prepare a number of spells equal to your cleric level+your wisdom modifier, from the cleric list of spells. You can only prepare spells if you have a spell slot of the appropriate level to cast them.

>Monks with 18-21 AC for msot of the game
Uh huh, and you're what level after spending how many ASIs to do this? Or did you just happen to roll two 18s for your starting stats and pick a +2 Dex race or Variant Human and dump a +1/+1 ASI at level 4? Yeah, that's definitely how most Monks work. Fuck off with this AC argument.

>but extra attacks
Okay, and while you're doing 1d8+3+1d4+3 (~13 [~24 with Flurry of Blows) at creation, a Fighter could be doing 1d8+5 (~9.5 [~17.5]) or 2d6+3 (~10 [~18]) before we even talk about PAM (~11 if V. Human [~10]) or GWM tomfoolery.

And the disparity shrinks at 5 because now we're talking about your Monk doing 1d8+4+1d8+4+1d6+4 (~24.5 [~32]) the Fighter's doing 1d8+6+1d8+6 (~21 [~31]) or 2d6+4+2d6+4 (~22 [~32]) or 1d10+4+1d10+4+1d4+4 (~25.5 [~29]). Add +2 [+4] to the first two and +3 [+5] to the last at level 6 when Fighters get their bonus ASI if they max out their Strength. Meanwhile, Monk's waiting until 8 to cap out their Dex and still hasn't maxed their Wis to get AC comparable to the Fighter, who by that point has advanced as well.

Then the Fighter/Monk shoots past the regular Monk in damage once he gets a +1 weapon, since no one bothers making +1 quarterstaves (don't be fucking stupid, it's a goddamn stick, why would any enchanter care) and your ass has to settle for a +1 Shortsword. Fighter can also theoretically find +1 armor in the higher levels or a +1 shield, while the party isn't going to let your stupid Monk wear the +1 Robe because we all know Wizards are greedy fuckers and what the fuck Kevin why do you even want it, it doesn't stack with your Mage Armor, let me have it you bitch.

Horseshit. According to Veeky Forums all Monks pop out of the womb with 20 Dex and 20 Wis and four extra ASIs to kick around as they please at level one. Your stupid Wood Elf Monk has 15-16 AC at creation, 17 at 4, and 18 at 8 with no fun inbetween while any Fighter or Paladin walks out of character creation with 16-19 AC.

they ask their gods for spells every night and the better their standing with the god is (their level) the more spells they get and the more powerful those spells are

>You can use these slots to cast spells.

Meant to say, you use these slots to cast spells by expending the appropriate leveled slot to cast a spell you have prepared.

It's much more straightforward than the book would have you believe.

You have spell slots, spells known, and spells prepared.

As you're a cleric, you know all your spells.

You choose which spells to prepare each day, up to a maximum of your cleric level+wisdom modifier.

You expend spell slots in order to actually cast the prepared spells (which are still prepared, you can prepare spell A, and then cast it once, twice, or more, if you have the appropriate spell slots, without having to prepare it again).

How do frost gaint tame white wyrm? I want to beable to do it too.

>the party isn't going to let your stupid Monk wear the +1 Robe because we all know Wizards are greedy fuckers and what the fuck Kevin why do you even want it, it doesn't stack with your Mage Armor, let me have it you bitch

they beat them into submission from birth until they learn not to fuck with their giant overlords, same with remorhaz

reminds me of the time our wizard tried to take the belt of cloud giant strength meant for our fighter

Do you think fighters can get to 18 AC early without a shield?

Because they can't, unless your DM is a little bitch and hands out crutches constantly.

Monks can start at 16 AC without too much issue (you can point buy two 15s, or one 15 and one 14). By level 8, that's 18 AC.

Fighters get to start with 16 (18, if you want to forgo beating the monk in damage), and then are entirely at the mercy of the DM to upgrade.

And the monk can still grapple, because he can have a hand free, if he wants, without losing anything.

But let's not digress; I'm not trying to say the monk is better at dealing damage than the fighter, only that your armored monk idea is strictly worse than either a pure fighter, or pure monk.

Like really, hands down worse.

Does this seem enough for a legendary item? Sorry for the wall of text.

>Staff of the Archdruid

This staff can be wielded as a magic quarterstaff that grants a +3 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with it. You have a +2 bonus to spell attack rolls, a +1 bonus to your spell save DC, and you are always considered to be under the effect of a barkskin spell.

The staff has 10 charges for the following properties. It regains 1d8 + 2 expended charges daily at dawn.

>Spells.
You can use an action to expend 1 or more of the staff's charges to cast one of the following spells from it, using your spell save DC: animal friendship (1 charge), beast bond (1 charge), giant insect (4 charges), locate animals or plants (2 charges), speak with animals (1 charge), speak with plants (3 charges), or bones of the earth (6 charges).

>Tree Form.
You can use an action to plant one end of the staff in fertile earth and expend 1 charge to transform the staff into a healthy tree. The tree is 60 feet tall and has a 5-foot-diameter trunk, and its branches at the top spread out in a 20-foot radius. The tree appears ordinary but radiates a faint aura of transmutation magic if targeted by detect magic. While touching the tree and using another action to speak its command word, you return the staff to its normal form. Any creature in the tree falls when it reverts to a staff.

>Tree Shape.
You can use an action to switch your physical body with the bonsai tree on top of the staff and transform yourself into a treant for up to 1 hour. As a treant, you don't have the "Animate Trees" option. This transformation otherwise functions as the polymorph spell, and you must maintain concentration. Once you use this property, you can't use it again until the next dawn. In addition, any damage taken as a treant will be passed on to the bonsai, the only way it can recover hit points is by tending to it. Some druidic magic can speed the process along, but the tree must heal itself.

>Pack Tactics, meaning if you're fighting with another frontliner you always have advantage on your attacks
>+2 Dex, which is good for Monk's unarmed attack and damage rolls
The only thing you won't be doing is succeeding very many Athletics checks, plus Sunlight Sensitivity is a bitch to work around. Otherwise, go ahead and be the screaming kung fu lizard you were always meant to be!

Two thumpers are planted. The wyrm may not come for the first, but he will rise for the second. You must walk without rhythm, so you don't attract the wyrm. It will go for the thumper.

When the wyrm approaches, you must be utterly still, and close enough to plant a hook firmly under a scale. The wyrm will turn to lift the hook as far from the abrasive ground as possible and will take you with it to the top.

Do not get too close as he approaches, or the wind will knock you down. Wait until the head of the wyrm passes, then go. Quickly.

Wait, how many fighter/monk levels are you even taking?

You could check L5R

how long does the tree healing take?

>The risk of failure is too much of a deterrent for them to try interesting maneuvers.

Then they are pussies. Tell them to man the fuck up. If they can't handle failure they shouldn't be playing RPGs, they should be playing some kind of freeform wank where the DM lets them do whatever they want.

>monks
>good

LMAO

Ok so I posted last night and got one person's input, I plan on making an Oath of Ancients musketeer, think three musketeers book and movies. The build is based around Dex for rapier use and leaning more towards a buckler.

Couple questions are does anyone think a dagger/shortsword in the off hand is even worth it, or just keep something like that as a backup? Also what would be a good feat to take with V.Human?

>The risk of failure is too much of a deterrent for them to try interesting maneuvers.

If you're gonna make them win every roll anyway just play Dungeon World

even within monks there can still be shit, when talking about unoptimized monks

>Fighters are reliant on DMs to hand out shields when they can fucking start with one as part of their default equipment or buy one in their backstory
what the fuck are you on

>Monks can grapple without losing anything
But you're using a quarterstaff for its superior damage so now you're down to 1d4 for all your hits, or 1d6 past 5. You're also not very good at it since grappling uses Strength and you are a Dex build by necessity. If I wanted to play a grappling Armored Monk I'd take Tavern Brawler, Duelist style, and fight with a shield and free arm, making improvised weapon attacks with my shield for 1d4+2+Str which is better than Monk until 5, as good until 11, and just slightly worse after that but who cares because how long are we really going to be playing a game past 11? Besides, I'm checking out of Monk after 8-9 levels and picking up my Fighter archetype which will give me expanded crits or spells or maneuvers or something.

Jesus Christ, Battlemaster/Monk.
>stunning fist
>automatically knockdown and disarm while doing full damage
>then bonus action grapple to keep them there and drag them away
Absolutely sickening.

Does your game have muskets?

Fuck you, I wanna be a muscle wizard.

I wouldn't say legendary.

Tree Form is a ribbon-like ability. It'd be great in the desert, and pretty not amazing anywhere else.

Tree Shape is neat, but I wouldn't call it super remarkable.

Probably very rare.

you don't fuck with masiff under any circumstances unless you wanna roll for anal circumference

Probably not, was just gonna work with a hand crossbow as a side arm for range and call it good.

Why would you give a strength belt to someone who's strong? That's like 2 points worth of strength. Give it to the wizard, that's like 6 to 8 points of strength worth.

thats a legendary magic item fuckwit

You take just one level of Fighter at creation to get your armor and weapon proficiencies. Second Wind's cool, too. Then you're straight Monk all the way to 8. Shadow Monk is probably your best archetype choice just because of how useful its teleport can be (plus the fucking spells--holy shit, Silence and Pass Without Trace?). I suppose you could stop at Monk 6, but you're missing out on Evasion and an ASI, which are real good.

At Fighter 1 / Monk 8 you have a choice: take one more Monk level and get the ability to run up walls (it's part of Unarmored Movement but the feature only says your move speed is not improved if you're wearing armor, there's nothing about the supernatural ability to run across water or up walls regardless of your speed) or go straight Fighter from then on. Monk 10's not too amazing and the archetype bonus at 11 can be hit or miss, but it's probably not worth the Fighter archetype.

Whether you go 8 or 9 Monk, it's back to Fighter after that. Action Surge and Maneuvers are where it's at, especially since you can stun. I suppose there's some synergy between the Knight Marking and taking Dodge as a bonus action; the creature just has Disadvantage to hit anyone at that point.

>what the fuck are you on
You misunderstood me.

I said: "Do you think fighters can get to 18 AC early without a shield?

Because they can't, unless your DM is a little bitch and hands out crutches constantly."

Fighters are reliant on DMs for UPGRADES to gear, not for shields. Please pay closer attention, this wasn't even written ambiguously.

>Besides, I'm checking out of Monk after 8-9 levels and picking up my Fighter archetype which will give me expanded crits or spells or maneuvers or something.
Ah, I see. So instead of doing something where you'd be better off as a pure monk, you're doing something where you'd be better off not wearing armor.

Now I see why you want to wear armo-wait a second, it's still retarded!

Monks are honestly fine at being a control martial at th cost of damage.

Open Hand does Battlemaster a lot better with the drawback being you give up damage, they work best in a party with a GWM Fighter/Paladin around to take advantage of the Stuns and Prones.

This nigga gets it.

Give the frail wizard the swole belt and he'll start suplexing people into his fireballs

>If you're gonna make them win every roll anyway just play Dungeon World

This. user the game you actually want to be playing is Dungeon World. It's pretty much objectively one of the best currently out there. It has fast easy to use mechsnics and is perfect for beginners, it's a lot cheaper than most of these other rules bloated systems that cost fifty dollars. There is no reason for extra rules when it is he role playing that matters. Dungeon World is fast and innovative and still feels exactly like the spirit of ADND before DnD 3.5 destroyed the hobby and ruined a generation of role players. You want fast, intuitive combat? Dungeon World does that. You want real, deep roleplaying mechanics? Dungeon World does that. You want great mechanics that reward diversity of play? Dungeon World does that as well. My last session of Dungeon World my human fighter wrapped a vampire in a bear hug and wrestled him out a window. This is real roleplaying we are talking about here, not babby 3.5 shit. Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of Dungeon World today, it is an evolution and perfection of the half-formed ideas in Apocalypse World (the game it is derived from)

I'm not entirely sure yet, thinking 10 HP per hour that the druid spends taking care of it personally. But this might be too fast. Any healing spell would be either halved or 2 HP per slot level.

What would it take to make it legendary? Remove concentration on Tree Shape? Also, I figure bonus to spell attacks and saving throw DC goes a long way.

*sigh* roll for anal circumference

Ah wahso wahso, pardon me for asking but what happen to rast edition? I want to know how to pray a Shou Lung detective.
You begin thlead but you do not conlibute.

>That's like 2 points worth of strength

I think it's not about how much of an increase it is, but more about how often it'll be applied.

It'll never be applied as the wizard, or at most, once a turn (haste can be cast on the wizard, or on the fighter, so it's irrelevant). The fighter will use it 4 times a turn, most likely.

Also, storm giant's strength ups strength to either 27 or 29, so it's like 7 points of strength.

But you're right, the fighter should get the tome of +2 intellect, even if it can boost the wizard to 22 int, and it's only upping the fighter to 10.

Who cares if he never uses int?

How the fuck is taking 8-9 levels of Monk better off not using armor when all through this thread we've explored how little actually changes for a Monk if you wear armor? Your AC is higher and your damage doesn't suffer to any meaningful degree, and remains better if you GWM. Exactly how much are you valuing +10-15 Speed, because that's all that armor really deprives you of at this point.

>it's part of Unarmored Movement but the feature only says your move speed is not improved if you're wearing armor, there's nothing about the supernatural ability to run across water or up walls regardless of your speed
This is munchkin bullshit. I think it's pretty clear that the intention is for the whole feature to shut down if you're wearing armor.

Chinese languages have rhotic sounds; they have no problem with L/R.
You're mimicking a bad Japanese accent, which is represented in Kara Tur by Wa and Kozakura, not Shou Lung.
Get your fucking lore straight, faggot.

>Your AC is higher
It isn't, though.

is there a sage advice on it?

That would suggest wall-running stops working if you were then deprived of the bonus speed from Unarmored Movement, but since there's nothing about that in there (you can presumably still run up walls while Slowed) I see no reason why not having that bonus speed in the first place is necessary. There's no weight limit on the wall-running feature, either.

I have never seen someone get full plate in a game.

Last game I played in, we got to level 15, and had a Paladin.

could he not drop 1000 gp at that level?

>there's nothing that says I can't wear 3 ioun stones

if you're an artifacer you can wear even more

>
Even if he could, Plate's hard to come by. 99% of Armourers won't have it laying around the shop at all, let alone in your size.

So you'd probably have to first find a good Armourer, then commission the Plate and then wait like half a year for it. There are easier ways to get it and most people should have it at level 8-10 but it's not a common thing.

I want to play a hobgoblin wizard in 5e. What are some good martial weapons to pick up? And is evocation a decent specialty for a wizard?

How do you decide what are appropriate DCs for spells granted by your homebrew magic items?

or go to a famous armorer who uses magic to make armor because low-magic settings are retarded

according to rarity

>Monk shows up with 15-16 AC if Variant Human or Wood Elf; worse for just about everyone else
>Fighter shows up with 16-19 AC at level one
>Monk AC improves to 17 at level 4 and +1 each ASI thereafter
>Fighter AC improves the moment he finds 200gp and is in a sizable town (assuming he didn't sell off equipment in his backstory to get 200gp, which is possible) or kills something his size with splint or plate armor, and improves on the rare chance he finds magical armor or a shield
>barring magical equipment, Fighter sits pretty at 18-21 AC as soon as he has plate, while it takes until level 8 for the Monk to hit 18, 12 to hit 19 AC, and 16 to hit 20
Or are you basing your argument on the assumption that this is 3E where Monks got +AC as they leveled or that you're ROLLING STATS at character creation like some kind of shithead? Because ha ha, fuck off in that last case

Any good resources for Homebrewing creatures? The stuff in the DMG is fucking shit.