MTG: Snowflake/Lore General

3 weeks since last thread edition

Last thread: hahaha

Question of the day: Does your flake co-operate with other planeswalkers? Are they even aware that other planeswalkers exist?

Finally.

>Does your flake co-operate with other planeswalkers?
My flake sells bones and bone accessories.

He's a bit 'get off muh lawn' when it comes to his own plane though.

Is body changing/swapping a thing in MtG?

Reminder

Chugging that sweet snot brew man

How hard would it be to discover another planeswalker anyway?
I thin the RU walker from Ravnica managed to easily find Jace and Gideon.... Probably even others given enough time.

It's pretty easy for someone like Ral Zarek to notice Jace, because Jace is actually really bad at blending in.

Ravnica is Jace's home though.

No it's not. It's just where he happened to land after his memories got wiped.

He also insists on wearing his symbol everywhere he goes, and fails to blend in by making bad choices despite what he does know.

I thought PWs could sense the sparks from some distance as well as when something enters/leaves the plane?

Right, he originally came from Vryn.
But as you said he was mindwiped, and when he first landed on Ravnica he wasn't wearing his trademark blue cloak. Heck I don't think he had his weird blue tattoos either.

Those had to come from somewhere, and my bet would be his adopted home plane of Ravnica.

Jace already has his tattoos on the flip side of his Origins card. And spell tattoos aren't really in any part of Ravnica's style barring Magemarks (which are much less intricate).

Jace's inability to blend in on Ravnica isn't really about his ignorance, since he's been there long enough to get the gist. He even knows how to lay low. The problem is that he sometimes just doesn't, so any planeswalkers around wouldn't have all that much trouble spotting him as out of place.

You ice cold son of a bitch.

The planeswalker side of the flipwalkers represents what they're like roughly around BFZ.

See Liliana, Defiant Necromancer, as proof of this. She carries the demon pact on her skin which she only got centuries after her ignition and is that the Chain Veil at her side?

Alright then assuming your right about Jace not blending in on Ravnica, then what about Gideon?
He's just some dude in armor till he pulls out this whip-sword thing. He doesn't stick out on any plane unless they don't have plate armor.

That was a tracking experiment that the Izzet League was doing. They almost inadvertently discovered planeswalkers because their data would show that sometimes instances of people ceasing to exist and then reappearing would happen. Ral Zarek and Jace actually teamed up and tried to sabotage it so Niv-Mizzet wouldn't figure out that planeswalkers are a thing.

In the Dragon's Maze novel, Jace reads Ral Zarek's mind when they duel and finds out that he's a planeswalker, then stupidly tells Ral that he's also one.

To quote:
>“You know as much as I do. The power behind the maze—it’s not for just anyone to wield.” >“That’s true,” said Ral with a grin. “It’s for me to wield.”
>So Zarek did believe there was something behind the maze, at that. The Izzet mage was hiding something, if only a deep antipathy for Jace. Jace reached into Zarek’s mind with his senses, feeling for an explanation, or at least a weakness he might exploit. What he found surprised him. It was not that Zarek’s mind was a storm of wild thoughts—that he expected. It was the other little fact: Zarek had seen worlds beyond Ravnica.
>“I am not your foe, Planeswalker,” said Jace. >“Oho! Another one like me, then, are you? You’ve heard tell of me on other worlds, I take it.”
>“I didn’t know until this moment. Your mind is open wide to me.”
>“In that case, you know I’m here to see you destroyed, fellow Planeswalker.”

Nnno?

>Does your flake co-operate with other planeswalkers? Are they even aware that other planeswalkers exist?

Salum, Salina, and Tyral are aware of other planeswalkers, and would probably be willing to collaborate with them... in different ways, depending on who you're talking to. Karrok hasn't met another one, and neither has Costin.

He's a meta joke, but obviously Fuar Linn just wants to capture other planeswalkers and then make them fight.

nuCala doesn't cooperate with anybody. She's a wreck.

Time to post some short flake stories.We'll start with:

>Tyral, the Master of Impulse

A dull roar. An almost sweet scent. Glass against teeth as the mug drained. Alcohol.

The viashino at the bar didn’t mind how sloppily it trickled down the edges of his mouth. He mostly didn’t care much for the bar chatter around him, either. He growled “another,” to the bartender and slapped down some additional coppers, coins that he had acquired just earlier by highway robbery.

An especially loud, drunken patron stumbled by and bumped into the back of Tyral’s barstool. With a quick sweep of the viashino’s tail, the man was face-down on the ground, cursing loudly. Groaning, he staggered uneasily to his feet.

“Didy… Didyoo trip me?” he started.

Noisy. Rude. Hurt. These are thoughts that registered consciously in Tyral’s mind only after he had already clutched his claw around the back of the man’s head, then bashed their skulls together, leaving him a heap on the floor.

The bar went quiet for a moment, though a few glasses were heard clinking as a few patrons were slow to realize what had happened. Giving his own actions no further thought, Tyral picked up his newly filled mug and resumed drinking. The bar was still quiet, but then some quiet muttering came from the back corner, from a handful of the local thugs.

“Big, bad scalie thinks he’s tough enough to do what he wants? I’d love to see him come over here and try that.”

Mug still in hand, Tyral stood up from the barstool. There was a blur of motion as he streaked across the bar to stand directly in front of the fellow who had just inadvertently challenged him. A moment later, everything else caught up, and some chairs, tables, and even patrons were thrown up and side in his wake. The thug could only look up from his seat, eyes wide in surprise as the viashino finished downing his drink and then threw his mug aside, destroying it on the nearby wall.

“Say that again, ‘fleshie?’”

The thug’s reply was only stammering, which only brought a hearty laugh. But it was not a forgiving laugh. A cracking of bone on wood silenced him as the went head down into his table. A typical follow-up, Tyral then proceeded to pick his pockets. He took all of the man’s coin and turned, throwing it to the bartender as payment for the damages. It was then that he noticed everyone else had drawn their weapons. And then he noticed that he also, had drawn his weapons. He bared his teeth in a smile and gave a roar before throwing himself into the fray, and the remaining bar patrons every which way.

>outright creature destruction in mono-red

>It's literally Aftershock, a mono-red card.
>It got reprinted for Vintage Masters.

Still outside of modern red color pie.

Maybe so, but it was worth printing three times through the game's history. The other two destruction possibilities are still within red's possibilities. There's also a nice drawback for having that much flexibility.

>it was worth printing three times
It was printed in Tempest. The reprint in Tempest Remastered was only because it was in Tempest, not because they liked it. Getting used in an online-only set isn't reprinting.

>a nice drawback
what drawback? The card is might as well just read 2R/Sorcery/"Destroy target creature" with the option to also have it be a planeswalker if the board is clear.

Was specifically referring to Aftershock itself. Paying 3 damage to your own face in exchange for "destroy one of these three things" could be worse in terms of balancing how many things it can do.

This is a pretty darn sweet design, the self damage of the 0 makes it like a -3 but you can still overclock him and use it asap.

Let's try this again.

>Costin, the Ever-Frightful

The streets had quieted for the night. The lamps were dim, and as was the moonlight. A boy, a young teenager, pulled his hood down as low as it could go as he walked uneasily, shivering despite the fairly mild night. Seeking refuge, he turned down an alley and pushed his back up to the wall, then let his body sink to the ground. He glanced further down, and then back to the street and wondered quietly to himself, “Am I safe for now?”

Though he was safe, Costin was still uneasy. The wind picked up abruptly, and he was startled when the old building behind him creaked. As his eyes widened, the nearby street lamp flickered out, and his heartbeat began to pick up. It was happening again. Scrambling to his feet, he walked hurriedly out into the street. As he paced down the road, the lamps closest to him would flicker, tempting his fear with unsteady shadows.

Lost in his own head, Costin was trying not to look at the tricks his mind was playing, in addition to what it may have been actually doing. “No, no, no…” he whispered, “get a hold of yourself.” The lamps closest to the boy began to completely go out, darkening his way. Lost in his thoughts, he was completely startled when he bumped into someone.

“Hey, watch where you’re going,” said the late night pedestrian, as Costin’s eyes widened with the
realization that he had, for just that moment, lost control. The person continued: “Wait, you’re just a kid. What are you doing out here this la-” Their words were left hanging as the shadows of the streets morphed into terrifying shapes, and their mind rapidly and easily descended into fear. There was a scream as the visions only got worse, and the young lad fled from what he had unintentionally caused yet again. He ran as quickly as he could, wanting nothing more than to get away once more. And then he was gone from that place altogether. Where he had traveled to was a blur as the boy finally gave out from exhaustion and collapsed. Sleep took hold of him. His mind was finally quiet, for now.

Does this sound too strong for a planewalker's final ability?
The opponent exiles X amount of cards from their library and you create a +X/+X avatar-artifact creature with I dunno.... deathtouch and flying or something.

>>>>>>>>fear

It sounds like you don't even know what you want it to do.

It's not great. I mostly just don't see what exactly is supposed to be going on here, or how the effects really coorrelate.

Mostly I just want it to create the artifact-avatar creature, the exiling thing is just because I'm not sure what to go with. I didn't want to go the land route like Nissa and Koth.

>artifact
>avatar

What.

Tell me the lore of what the heck this artifact avatar is

They're a Kaladesh mage.
I figured adding the artifact type would make it seem more fitting to the plane. And make the creation itself seem more.... experimental in nature.

considering it's not repeatable, I'm sure you could make the -3 a Doom Blade or Go For the Throat, instead of both...

Untested and experimental magic used by a Kaladesh mage unused to working with such materials. With more experimentation they can make full Avatars (and maybe spirits on special planes?).

It's terror.
Also, see that purple rarity symbol? They're not interested in changing/improving the cards.

I don't get it

What's not to get?
They're using a framework of metal to give form to the avatar.

What's it an avatar of.

Oh!
I um... am not sure yet. People mentioned that the discard X cards from an opponent's library is not making sense so I'm being initially vague on that....
I suppose I'd say it could probably be classified as an avatar of battle? Maybe anger? Lost magic? There are a few ways one can fluff it.

Well at this point there's so little to work with I can't really help.
If you made a flake sheet or even just color identity that would help

Postin' templates is useful.

Oh!
Well I am working on the sheet right now but I can provide a color for this walker: Red.
Might dip into either Blue or Black.

Exiling cards from an opponent's library is solidly blue and/or black. There's nothing red about that effect. Red would be exiling cards from your own library.

Yours, opponents
Potato, potato

Posting the two walkers I made in the last thread that didn't get added

And here's the second one.

Feedback appreciated, especially on the fist one since I'm still messing with the lore on him.

No need to repost, every walker that's posted in these threads is saved.

Ah, right. Didn't see them added to the new roster.
We could try bringing back the other cool thing last session.

> Writing experiment:
Pick a spell, instant, sorcery, ect any kind, and describe how your flake would cast it.
Do they do it completely by the book? Or do they have their own style of wielding their mana that doesn't match the card's art very well?

>pic unrelated

this picture isn't that funny
it doesn't have enough "it's funny because it's true" and is just kinda randumb at parts

I'm just posting from my MtG folder m8, relax. I know it's not exactly high quality, but I can't save the screencap from the other day where some guy managed to make 10 people reach enlightenment or something

Well it is a good thing I might dip into blue or black to make more fitting.

Geists on Innistrad are numerous and in every color, but this isn't the case in the rest of the multiverse. Usually spirits are limited to White and Black.
Does that limit her type of magic on other planes? And what about planes that don't have that sort of thing (like Kaladesh)?

What books would you suggest for a new person getting into the lore?

Begin from the start
Skip that one book with Tezz, it's noncanon anyways
Things start to make sense around Time Spiral
Things go to online format about past Zendikar

Ice Age Cycle's a good start to see if it interests you

Reminder of what?

Never forget never forgive
Phyrexia will be avenged

All flakes are shit and equally so, including yours.

Doesn't feel that green at all. I get you're leaning on the destiny thing but you're leaning a bit too hard.

I like that she has a couple very specific goals that work well for getting her into action. Finding out how to do the crown thing *would* be cool.

Bump.

Any advice on how to improve him? Make him more green, I guess. I tried to play up the black/green subverting nature but sstillrelying on that comes from a lot of the golgari lore.
I'd assume she's not really interested in going to those places. As for geists outside innistrad, I'm guessing she's interested in dead spirits, not so much the black shades, although realistically I could make her 4 color. Her red comes from using artifacts/spells that require sacrifices, and blue from generally using her ghostly powers to paralyse and control opponents.
I'd say it's more how she uses them, not what their color identity actually is. She's just good at making ghosts work in the place of traditional spells.

All planeswalkers are shit now-a-days so that's not really an insult.

It's basically a call to make sure nobody gets all high-and-mighty about their fanwalkers.

This fellow is one of my favorite walkers produced in these threads.
The zombie maker from Kaladesh is also another favorite.

Is that a fucking akantor?

Who?

Molgatha is a goddamn akantor.

Oh, from monster hunter
Well, whatever works. Nothing says a wyvern can't be a planeswalker, if it's sentient

Didn't say anything was wrong with it. Just 'is that a fucking akantor? yes it is a fucking akantor'

Hmm, sort of have a flake, but not certain how/if I can flesh it out more. He does a lot of artifact magic, and likes masterminding complicated trap like complexes/arenas.

Wish I wasn't shit at photoshop so I could use the Character sheet.

Lots of people just do it in paint, I think.

>This fellow is one of my favorite walkers produced in these threads.
Hey, guess I'm doing something right then.
I might take another crack at spider lady again.

What flake duos do you think would be interesting?

I definitely just use Microsoft paint

His home plane is listed as unknown/destroyed - but the story says it's still in the process.
Otherwise pretty good - I like the "No, I'm the hero!" thing.

Now this is ghostbusting.

GG no RE

akantor>bolas

Being able to drive makes you better at predicting traffic patterns. Oblivious drivers and privy pedestrians still exist.

Jester's Cap.png

Still not red, but I wanted it mentioned.

As a primarily colorless player, I can't argue.

Also, kherto keeps a bunch of stax/tax artifacts on his person, so spellcraft is a lot harder around him. Closest he can do to casting is pulling a planebound into þe blind eternities, which is essentially a spacial contortion, but doing so competently and reliably is beyond his capacity.

Yeah, man, paint works.

>Esen deSahkrah and Man-in-the-Swamp
Making Vorthoses around the world spin in their chairs.
>Thalassa Fiahe and Janacek al-Dali
Members of the Bartender's Union.
>Heles Car, Mikael, Ugnok and Xanevious Kriger
The Rambunctious Naya Fightboys.
>Elaine Verisius, Graves and Ushiwaka
Members of the Guild of Talented Schemers That Just Got Unlucky That One Time, Promise.
>Hazaur, Eiredia and Celuel
Members of the Occupy the Mending movement.
>Sorca, Ashlyn and Tristain Westwind
Members of the Clan of Bad Ideas That Ignited Our Stupid Asses.

Your snowflakes are racist, not enough black women.

Well Amonkhet is a very boring plane.

I wish she was prettier. Something's up with her face every time.

>not grouping together completely different snowflakes for interesting group dynamics

>Draw a man
>Call it a women

why?

Who would you group together for interesting dynamics then?