How do the various societies in your setting react to LGBT individuals?

How do the various societies in your setting react to LGBT individuals?

If your players approach you with plans to make gay rights and equal marriages, with the possibility to upgrade to adoption rights as the game continues, you have NO right to refuse them. Now, I know what you're going to say:

>B-b-b-but muh homos
>B-b-b-but mud medieval morals
>B-b-b-but mommy, alternative lifestyles make me scared

Shut up. You shouldn't be DMing. Your players are trying to make something interesting out of your generic, heteronormative fantasy, and you're throwing it back in their faces. You have NO right to be DMing - just give your notes to one of your players, they can do a better job than you can.

TL/DR, if you can't handle gays in fantasy settings, you shouldn't be a DM.

A certain level of boyfucking is not only allowed, but expected. If someone is too into it, they are socially ostracised, however. If someone wants to actually take dick rather than dish it out, then again, social ostracisation.

Women are expected to be lustful and degenerate, so it's fine. Makes it so that a man doesn't have to lower himself to have sex with women outside of reproduction.

my f neutral good cleric is dating a f chaotic neutral ranger. The alignments have been more conflict than the genders.

And the people around us don't react much at all, since our other players and our GM are all pretty reasonable people.

We had a couple npc's make negative remarks, but that's realistic. We had about as many positive, neutral, and negative responses to lesbians as you could expect from a large population of people with mixed views but who are generally chill.

The other player and I aren't dating irl.

gays or guns

>le ebin social justice maymay

They don't give a shit as long as you produce an heir and/or keep up appearances. Also, it's important whether you're the firstborn (man) or like the sixth son, or something.

I like to keep things historical. In Italy it was common for gay men to visit prostitutes once in a while to fondle their breasts and get an official "I'm not gay!" paper. Michelangelo was an extremely devout Catholic - and also gay as fuck - so he had romantic relationship with another man that never turned sexual. No one gave a fuck about noblemen being gay as long as they kept up appearances and produced heirs.

In short, if you're rich and follow the rules of society, no one cares where you stick your dick. If you're poor - you'll probably be not so lucky.

The obvious answer is "negatively" to various degrees, but generally that depends on what the player is going for.

If they chose that kind of character for the conflict with culture and society, I'd be cheating them by not playing it up.

If they just chose it for fun it'd be like playing up the elf hate at a newbie who has never played an elf before: Borderline magical realm.

Basically I'm not gonna burn a guy's female character at the stake just because he's uncomfortable doing romance with a male character.

I think LGBT is too broad an acronym at this point. People grouping themselves together because it gives them political power rather than because they have anything in common.

I know this is bait but damn its really well written. Hard to not give a serious reply to that insanity. 10/10 shitpost.

Have a (you).

And FYI, if you actually want to discredit these kinds of sjw's you have to me more subtle.

Also, that's just for !West-Europe. Other places have different rules.

Typically, the more martial and warrior-like a culture is - the more buttfucking they do.

None of the churches or political organizations have much of a stance on marriage or reproduction at all, other than the more barbaric ones believing that reproduction is good since it makes the tribe strong- their opposition is alleviated if people still have kids despite other inclinations, and they're more intolerant of people who don't want kids.

Generally it's just seen as a quirk, an unusual personality trait that doesn't matter as much as social standing and behavior.

>the more martial and warrior-like a culture is - the more buttfucking they do
Got source for that?

Japan. Greeks. Although the Greeks were more into jerking each other off and shit.

The British Navy.

In my setting, homosexuality is considered a 'youthful indiscretion' that you are expected to grow out of. The main church is big on marriage and reproduction. There are a fair number of homos forced into loveless matches because of this.

It's never come up and probably never will because none of us have interest in that sort of a thing.

Enjoy your undead infestation.

The greeks were thigh fuckers, it was a bonding thing rather than an explicitly sexual thing. Frat style humiliation to bring the two closer. (Citation: No fucking idea, word of mouth)

Undead bigotry is just as bad as being homophobic. If an undead infestation is the price of tolerance I'd be happy to pay it.

I disagree, it has nothing to do with martial culture and more to do with social culture. Medieval Europe was martial and gayness was not prevalent. As was in the middle east.
And that is mostly due to the culture. In medieval ages Europe this was mostly condemned by the church as well as people didn't really have the time for it as they needed to produce an heir as soon as possible. Same with Muslim countries even today the Sharia punishment for being gay is death so it was too much of a gamble to "come out".
As for Greek, again look at the gods that they worship. And before you say that "The society doesn't reflect the pantheon." No it's the pantheon that reflects society.

I know right? When people say undead infestation, all I hear is free XP!

Goddamn, me and my boyfriend are gonna be so fucking Veeky Forumsasfuck. RAAAGH! MUSCLEMILK GET SWOLE!

>you are now compelled to put two gay undead hunting Veeky Forumsfags in your game

It is not sinful just wasteful and frowned upon for that reason.

All homosexual couples must also have a breeding partner for this reason.

>Medieval Europe was martial and gayness was not prevalent.
But you're wrong.
Medieval Europe was hella gay. Fulla gay. Hard gay. It just wasn't a part of daily life like it was to the Ancient Greeks and the Japanese.

Basically cool with it in most of the games I'm in, if it comes up.

We don't have that many characters actively going round getting laid one way or another, if it does come up the GM will generally make a snap decision if NPC A is interested in PC B or not.

>implying I only GM in a single setting
>implying it depends on the setting
>implying OP isn't baiting hard
>implying we don't already have at least 20 something /pol/baits threads popping on Veeky Forums weekly
>implying it hasn't been the case on almost every other fucking board on Veeky Forums for months
>implying I'm getting real tired of this shit
>implying implications

>Medieval Europe was hella gay. Fulla gay. Hard gay. It just wasn't a part of daily life like it was to the Ancient Greeks and the Japanese.
Do you have anything to back that claim? Anything. And also i noticed you said nothing about the middle east. And they where on of the most warlike places at that time (running right after the Huns)

>Do you have anything to back that claim?
Dude, did you even read the post that I linked, you fucking retard?

And don't even get me started on the Middle East. I know Iranian art showing guys doing some things that will get me a week long ban if I post it.

Richard the lionheart was supergay

Fuck of SJW|/pol/ . At this point these 2 are so close you can't tell the difference.

No one gives a shit. The monarchy is a meritocratic republic.

They tell /leftypol/ to fuck off

Superbi, you mean.

Historically speaking, being homosexual was pretty rare. Most buttbanging males acted bi, since they had to produce an heir and marry a woman because reasons.

The only historical homosexual I know is Michelangelo because we have definite historical proof he never touched a woman and just had letter sex with his boyfriend.

Hell, he was so gay, he used male models for his sculptures and paintings of women - just stuck some tits on it and called it a bday.

Your citation was wrong.

>i don't like historical facts so im just gonna stick my fingers in my ears and pull a page from the creationist book

They are executed, along with niggers and Mexicans. Now fuck of with your /pol/ shit

Horseshoe theory in action.

>God of purity smites the unclean filth and kills it.
>If the player objects tell him to shut up.
>If he continues kick him out.
I don't take that sort of shit on my table

Depending on the period, you may still be at risk of a "this dude is way too fucking gay!" slander campaign. Nobody is going to attack just because you're gay but it may serve as a pretext if someone already hate you.

Good point. It can certainly be used to discredit someone.

The kingdoms don't much care. It's only an issue when it comes to nobility and succession, but that's easily gotten around. The common folk might gossip but with no religious taboo to fall back on they don't get personally offended. It's just uncommon is all.

In a few of the more isolated, provincial areas of the republic it is looked down upon, as is anything else outside of the range of normal expected behavior. It would fall under laws prohibiting too much public display of affection, I suppose. But in some of those towns you might earn a censure for smiling too much. It's harmless though, just irritating. That would never happen in the larger, more populous areas. Nobody there would bat an eye.

In other societies and cultures I'm not sure. Those are the two major ones we tend to work with. The only time it ever came up was one time when my players needed to convince a crown prince to marry the princess of a neighboring land, rather than run away with his bodyguard, possibly leading to war.

Electroshock therapy.

WoD in Drumpf's America?

The big secret nobody wants to admit is that discrimination in fiction not meant specifically to explore the concept isn't interesting. Especially in a game, where it amounts to "people say a mean thing that won't actually affect you" at best and "you don't all get to do that cool thing because one of you is Different" at worst. Nothing actually fun comes of it.

My players hunt them all down. They find whatever faggot is walking around fagging up the joint, tie a rope around their waist and road haul their ass behind a cart before tying them to a post and beating them to death. After wards, me and my players all suck each others dicks without a hint of irony.

Is that what you wanted to hear OP?

>The big secret nobody wants to admit is that discrimination in fiction not meant specifically to explore the concept isn't interesting. Especially in a game, where it amounts to "people say a mean thing that won't actually affect you" at best and "you don't all get to do that cool thing because one of you is Different" at worst. Nothing actually fun comes of it.
Piss off.

It provides a grounding to the game. Makes it more real. Just like keeping a food clock, accounting for candles and lighting in dungeons. By making it more real, the players will feel more invested in their characters.

>playing in a game
>one of the players is gay irl
>don't give a shit because he's not being flamboyant
>tell someone they suck cocks when they do something moronic
>gay looks uncomfortable
>DM pulls me aside after game to scold me

What, so I can't call anyone a fag because one person at the table literally likes the taste of dick? Why are people such fags?

Everyone on Earth is a homo, only the disillusioned veterans who've spend spend so much time in FTL that they've seen their parents die of old age are straight, and they get called oldfags.

>gay undead hunting Veeky Forumsfags
Paladins.

There's only one right answer: nobody cares. It stomps on the toes of anyone who wants to play a gay character so they can feel persecuted, and triggers any /pol/tards and "muh realism" autists you might have in the group so you can eject them without issue. And, funny enough, it triggers the crazier social justice types, who will get mad that you're whitewashing the struggle homosexuals have to endure. Best of all, it ensures you look like the reasonable one in all of this.

They doesn't exist because nobody gives a fuck about them.

their sexuality is irrelevant to the adventure

Sounds fucking miserable. Pointless busywork and tedious micromanagement for the sake of ""realistic"" fantasy. I bet you have fun filing taxes.

Why is no one mentioning anything about 40k.
I would like to see how the LGBTTTQQIAA+: Final Reloaded 2 would look like applied to each race.

Now this guy gets it.

Realism isn't inherently more investing. Food and light are survival aspects that actually engage with the game mechanics, so they are fun on a level beyond just being "more real". Prejudice that goes beyond a token "I don't like your kind but it won't affect how I treat you in any meaningful way" is a vague roadblock that you can't really do much about. An attempt to convince someone who doesn't like "your kind" to help you out might be interesting all of a couple times, sure. But straight up unflinching bigotry that actually disrupts plans or makes people want to kill you just means the players get screwed over essentially at random.

Fag stopped being a meme years ago. You have to call them an autist.

Yeah, you're right.
I do know who told me that bit of trivia.

go back to the lovecraft thread mate,

Elves: Burn at the Stake
Primary human society: Ignore it unless it's shoved in the community's face, at which point the 'offenders' will be run out of most small towns -- major cities you might run afoul of public decency in, you know, public.
Crazy legalistic city state: has proper licensing forms for EVERYTHING including legal gender reassignment and alternative marriages (Actually their "marriage" code is a fairly generic "Cotaxation and shared child rearing" contract)

Public displays of affection in general are dissuaded for anyone but old people.

Pretty much like in real life; some minority can't help being dicks about it but most people just don't give a fuck.

>last setting I made was for gfur but also catholics and greeks
Guess.

The Imperium probably doesn't care overall but it'd vary from planet to planet (sometimes they're celebrated, other times they're shot for spreading Slaaneshi taint), Tyranids, Orks and Necrons aren't sexual beings, the Eldar probably frown on it due to the fact that they can barely reproduce without you going and blowing your load somewhere that a kid is never going to come out of and the Dark Eldar are all gay as hell. As for the gods, Khorne doesn't give a fuck as long as you murder, Slaanesh doesn't give a fuck as long as you put your dick in a hole, Tzeentch doesn't care as long as you scheme and Nurgle doesn't care as long as you spread HIV.

>Elves: Burn at the Stake
that's crazy to me because elves are obviously the gayest fantasy race

>elves
>gayest
>not dwarfs

Are you kidding me? There aren't even any dwarfs (female). They're all gayass faggo fatherfuckers that get buttbabies.

People keep telling them that, and it annoys them to no end. Now they hate gayness with a passion because of it.

damn... you right. listen, every fantasy race is gay. let's put that on the table right now. elves? gay. dwarves? super gay. orcs? you seen those guys? gay. everyone's gay. i'm gay. if you're reading this you're probably gay too actually

I deal with it in the way that triggers people the most.
Read: no one gives a fucking shit. No, you don't get to fight for equal rights, gay marriage or anything. No one cares. YOU AREN'T SPECIAL.

M-More?

for real though who gives a shit. it's literally not interesting to recreate real life reactions to lgbtq folk. if your player is cis and straight, they're not gonna learn any actually long lasting or valuable lessons from your Very Special Episode where a paladin is mean to their trans archer. if your player is lgbtq, at best you make them bored cause it's already everyday shit for them, and at worst you make them feel out of place and like you don't want them in the campaign and you're dealing with it in the worst way possible. there's just basically no reason to actually do this when you could just focus on more interesting shit, like an actual plot and compelling characters

I'd play in a Forever War setting.

They don't acknowledge alphabet elementals as people

/thread

Humans are a bit homophobic. It's okay if you sleep with your war prisoners or your slaves, whatever gender you both are, but don't go having any homosexual relationship on equal footing because that makes us uncomfortable.

Orcs are more tolerant, in that as long as you're badass enough to murder the haters, you can do whatever you like. They only respect strength, the rest is accessory.

Centaurs are probably a bit homophobic too because they're very family-oriented. So I suppose they'd encourage bisexuality if SOME gayness seems inevitable in someone.

Also most of them are tribal, shamanistic societies, to which the gods are by essence very close to mortals. So trans* people are not necessarily seen as weirdos, but more like incarnations of divine/spirit shenanigans. Like an MtF person would be seen, for example, as a female spirit incarnating in a male body for some reason. Trans* people aren't the only cases where that happens, the idea that spirits incarnate in people and that explains what those people are/can do/look like/etc. is fairly common.

>alphabet elementals
My sides

>But straight up unflinching bigotry that actually disrupts plans or makes people want to kill you just means the players get screwed over essentially at random.

Except it's not random. If you play an Elf and walk into a town that hates Elves, you're getting screwed due to your character choices.
Same thing applies to Gays, Trannies, or Necromancers. Then again, most players I've met don't have a problem with in-game bigotry. If some homo wants to make a homo character, that's fine, but don't bitch when their homo-ness becomes a problem. Since they definitely won't bitch when the queer prince wants to take them aside for some "roleplay".

Well given its a fantasy setting i just see it fit that no ine really gives any second thoughts to any lgbt people. Don't wanna be a dude anymore? Your landlord knows a guy who can get a mage to perform a transformative spell on you.

Least how I see it

i know it's copypasta bait but i legitimately agree with all of this (other than the adoption thing but only because i feel like having kids in a tabletop game is hard to manage)

The DM is not a computer, their enjoyment in their hobby counts too.

He's just uncomfortable because he has to hide his boner while daydreaming about being forced to give you a blowjob every time he screws up.

I must add to that that my players are comprised of two straight cis guys, a gay trans guy, and a ambiguously bisexual, ambiguously cis guy, and they all seem okay with the fact that perception varies from society to society. You know, like in real life. They play whatever they like, and I don't go out of my way to either cater to them or shame them for that. What happens depends on how they act and whomever they interact with.

I'm still baffled at how the norm for player groups on Veeky Forums seems to be "nobody's friend with anybody else".

They are two major religions, in the main area of play homosexuals are seen as sinful but in the concept of the church any sex outside of marriage to conceive children is seen as sinful. So they is negative clashes, but its slowly becoming at least more accepting.

The other one is homophobic to the point they throw homosexuals off rooftops. But is mainly on another continent and the LGBT community is so die hard against the first religion they ignore this acts of cruelty for political alliances against the first.

Rate my setting guys.

In my setting. Homosexuality is simply not recognized as an orientation so no union rights but it's not punishable by law.

Oh and the church and its adherents naturally frown upon it.

They are jus perverts. LGBT is nor a real condition.

In the satiric pulp Victorian setting I often use, sodomy is a crime of indecency penalized in most countries. Of course, queers have their hideouts, clubs and codes, but they need to stay away from the law.

In the Earthdawn setting, my character is a lizard guy who had no physical sexual characteristics until his puberty. He still has no real notion of gender, at least not on himself, but it might also be complicated to understand others, should this topic ever become relevant to them.

2real4me

Let me try some racial stereotypes:
Halflings: "Oh dear, they got him! Someone, bring the soap and thistles!"
Gnomes: "Is there a sound reasoning behind this decision? It appears highly counterproductive."
Dwarves: "You'll grow up to find a wife, just like your father, your father's father, and the fathers before that."
Elves: "Life is a crossroad of many destinations, albeit one I'm surprised you walk so openly."
Ignits: "We're all unique souls. Who's best to make a judgment but oneself?"
Khurits: "Don't tell me about what you are, tell me about what you have done."

last two are oc steel donuts, but just pretend they are elemental people and tieflings and it's not too far off.

You should just have different societies have different opinions on it. If its absolutely no issue at all, then there is no chance to create an interesting conflict.

Consider the possibility for a character who is homosexual from a very traditional kingdom who is in denial about their feeling to the point where it causes them distress, or the character from a different kingdom with a looser opinion on sexuality who tries to help them come to terms with themselves now they are away from home.

If there's no conflict, then the matter of their sexuality will rarely matter enough to be brought up unless there is a conflict just about a relationship that happens to be homosexual.

It's Miami Vice in spaaaaace, so everyone is a little flamboyant and homoerotic but it's totally not gay

Honestly though, it wouldn't be much of a stigma, everyone just does their own thing. Watch Miami Vice s1e21 "Evan" and you'll see why I'm just making it a few shades less than "literally who cares"

>The other one is homophobic to the point they throw homosexuals off rooftops.
>Not realizing fairies can fly.

I knew Orcs were dumb, but still.

I wrote a large tribe of Goblins that have very few females but an abundance of males, and as such runts of the litter often take on the roles of females, there to satisfy the males and take part in home economics whilst the males take on more dangerous tasks like hunting or war. Crossdressing Gobbos are not an uncommon sight for an adventurer engaging with Goblin societies.

Is being fucked by your own zombie constructs gay?

I've read that short story

i smirked

Officially, the Empire has no stance. It's difficult enough to manage more important matters when it can take over a year for information to reach the edges of your empire due to the limitations on FTL travel.

There are about as many reactions to it as their are worlds in the Empire, and among the 98 Homeworlds, there are more reactions from culture to culture than there are in entire subsectors.

As a general rule, however, most places range from "tolerant while quietly judging" to "open acceptance" for no other reason than nobody in the group wants to explore gender identity and sexual orientation politics when we could be exploring alien planets instead.

>"Can I play an lgbt character?"
What? What do you want to play? Is it OP?
>"N-no, just like, a trans character?"
Why? Just play as whatever gender you want, stop trying to insert your weird fetishes into my game.
>"It's not a fetish!"
It's real life drama in my fantasy world, if you seriously want to play as someone who has a mental problem that makes social situations harder then go ahead, I won't stop you from roleplaying but the moral and social system of this world is similar to dark ages Europe, I told you this when we started.

>typing up a rant against an imaginary opponent about something irrelevant while posting an anime avatar

kek @ your life

Veeky Forums

Death on sight. The only reasonable response.

OP's question was how I would deal with it, I demonstrated, I'd ask them first of all "what?" and second of all "why?" and then tell them "no" anyway because it's a stupid idea that doesn't require much thought to notice is stupid.
>kek @ your life
Second dumbest post in the whole thread besides that stupid first response that I'm like 50/50 sure is bait.