LOVECRAFT

I AM SO FUCKING SICK OF LOVECRAFT

FUCK YOU, HAVING XCTHUT'FDGSHKDFG'DFJIBHGDFJIG SHOW UP AND FUCK EVERYTHING INTO NEXT WEEK DOESN'T MAKE YOUR SETTING UNIQUE

IT JUST MAKES YOU YET ANOTHER FUCKING MILLENNIAL NUMALE TRYING TO COPY SOME RACIST XENOPHOBE WHO DIED A HUNDRED YEARS AGO

FUCK
YOU

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zCxPT7UUkkY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Somebody's upset.

If your players approach you with plans to summon Azathoth and go insane, with the possibility to upgrade to bring about the end of days as the game continues, you have NO right to refuse them. Now, I know what you're going to say:

>B-b-b-but muh sanity
>B-b-b-but muh cosmic horror
>B-b-b-but mommy, eldritch abominations make me scared

Shut up. You shouldn't be DMing. Your players are trying to make something interesting out of your generic, rational setting, and you're throwing it back in their faces. You have NO right to be DMing - just give your notes to one of your players, they can do a better job than you can.

TL/DR, if you can't handle Cthulhu in a modern setting, you shouldn't be a DM.

Okay whiteyass cracker. Now fuck off.

Bloodborne took everything Lovecraft ever came up with and presented a vastly better story and setting using its concepts, all while not being hilariously racist.

Prove me wrong.

It's really fucking annoying to get somewhere and then find out, "Oh you actually wanted to change something? Big space squid has you beat by a trillion millenia. Have fun going insane kiddo :))"

tl;dr fuck you

Modern players can't handle the fact that they won't always win. Suck it up snowflake, life isn't always fair.

>waaah waaah im a big bad baby and because i cannot achieve anything in life i MUST achieve something in game otherwise i get depressed

Grow the fuck up.

nice pasta faggot

Little do my players know that they are working to keep a buttload of elder gods asleep to prevent them from destroying the universe.

>Set up universe. Vikings, nothing exceptional.
>Players die, get taken to Valhalla where they meet the Odin and the gang.
>Get recruited to Odins army fighting the Fey for the purpose of keeping the gods asleep.
>Players never question what gods they are keeping asleep.

Sometimes it baffles me how dense players can be. That being said, if the gods ever do fully awaken, the universe will be torn asunder. Odin remembers a couple of thousand years ago when one of the gods began to stir. It caused enough chaos to create a bunch of end of the world Ragnarok type myths - he's even told the PCs this, and they have NEVER ASKED who it was they were keeping asleep.

I like cosmic horror but I agree that tentacled "Old Gods" with mad cultists is a little played out.

I'd like to point out inconsistencies in your post: if we WERE numale cucks, we wouldn't be bringing in lovecraft stuff over, we'd try to subvert your game to be about social justice.

Furthermore. Niggers are eldritch as fuck, there's no actual sane way to understand their broken english or any sanity in their reasoning.

Lovecraft was ahead of his time for sure

Intercourse thyself, OP.

Protip: if you prematurely end the campaign and go "LOL! you should have asked what gods you were preventing from waking" you are a dick

>muh numale millenials

The only people I've ever met who are obsessive and annoying about lovecraft are women.

I'm not the biggest fan of Lovecraft I find his stories a bit too boring, I know, Plebeian and all that, but you're a little bitchboi to your nu-female husband. Getting ass blasted because of some racism and xenophobia means you shouldn't be on the internet.

It's probably because they know they're going to get some bullshit "your puny minds can't comprehend these gods" instead of anything worth learning.

Also I think everyone's been exposed to enough of this crap that they have a pretty god idea of what's happening.

Lovecraft was a racist and therefore infallible
You watch your tongue

Nah, I actually have a rather decent multiverse set out based off of various (primarily Norse) mythologies with some 40kism thrown in. My players are enjoying it immensely. Eventually, they'll get to the point where they'll have to confront the Fey on the plane of the sleeping gods, and they'll see exactly who they're "working" for. But, that time is a ways off as of yet.

Not really. It's a Pathfinder game, and I've literally never used any Lovecraftian entities before - at least, none that I can think of (I've been GMing for these guys for nearly 3 years now, so it's possible that I've just forgotten, but it's not common, regardless). So I doubt they've guessed what's up. I still find it funny they haven't even bothered asking.

They met Loki last game. Loki commands Odins special forces. I made a super hard point of playing up how he was just trying to blend into the crowd and how they would never have noticed him if Baldr hadn't pointed him out. They never even asked what his position was (I wasn't up front about the information, just in pointing him out). One of them even walked over to him, said hello, then walked away without asking what he did for Odin. I was flabbergasted.

Does it really matter whether they're keeping Morgoth or Cthulhu asleep? They know it's a god and it's bad, it doesn't matter if it is "generic evil god number 95204" or "ineffable outer god".

Much like Tolkien, what's described as Lovecraftian today has nothing much to do with the stories he actually wrote except for shallow surface elements.

The problem isn't Lovecraft, it's unimaginative hacks.

I suppose that's true. I was really just surprised that they accepted that Odin, Thor, Loki, etc... weren't gods and that they were tasked with keeping some nameless gods they had literally never heard of up to this point in their characters lives, asleep with not a question asked.

I too hate that pop-culture lovecraft is bolted on so many settings now.

That said contain your chimp out.

>You near the end of the chant and according to the chart, the stars above are about to be right. What do you do?
>I stab the virgin we have chained to the altar to complete the ceremony
>Alright. At the exact moment of celestial alignment, just as your companion's otherworldly chanting reaches it's crescendo, you plunge the ritual knife into the girl's chest, breaking the sigils you painstakingly scarred into her flesh.
>Okay so Yog Sothoth shows up now right?
>Just wait. The chanting stops and the warehouse is silent. A few seconds pass. Then a few more. The stars are no longer aligned, and it seems like nothing is happening.
>Okay, ol' Yoggy'll be here in any minute I'm sure. We followed the ritual to the letter after all
>The next few minutes are filled with awkward waiting. Then, you think you can hear police sirens. They seem to be getting closer. What do you do?

That genuinely sounds like a great way to start a game.

Would play/10

Lovecraft grew a lot as a person and seemed to have change his racist views later in life, as evidenced by his presentation of a black family that is portrayed in a positive light in one of his later stories (I sadly forget the title). His friendship with R. E. Howard was probably a part of it.

That said, I find Lovecraftian shit boring 90% of the time.

Nothing to prove wrong here, I take my ques from Bloodborne when it comes to Lovecraft settings.

You are nigguhhh

>i dont like thing
>you like thing so ill call you a numale
Tell me more about your body pillow.

I can see that, most of his stories get kind of bland. However The Shadow out of Time, At the Mountains of Madness, and The Dunwich Horror are all pretty great stories that hold up today.

The Color out of Space is pretty good too, honestly.

You're probably thinking of The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. There's a nice black family the main character buys a painting from. Every time they're mentioned they get glowing character references.

I don't get it. How can you be a numale cuck yet enjoy Lovecraft, after all he's super racist? Your insults aren't making much sense.

Got it, no problem.

Oh what's this? "Night Lands". Hmmm, guess I'll have to use it instead... With all those levels inside the Redoubt, no one will mind if I fill one with catgirls. They can charm the Beasts outside and use them to defeat the Watchers and explore the world and find spaceships and fight Elder Evils and win.

Yes, yes, that'll do.

How do Lovecraft's racist and xenophobic tendencies discredit his work?

And quietly, I whisper into your ear after we make love, "My Chessex lucky d20 is superior to your Gamescience dice."

>you want input in my STORY!?!?!?!?
>how DARE you?!?!?!?!

sounds like my group
i'm so sorry

This would make a fantastic start to a game of Everyone Is John.

Congratulations, you just earned your first rank of Knowledge (Veeky Forums).

there weren't any minorities

checkmate, atheist

They don't, really. Those who study Lovecraft almost all agree that he was somewhere on the Autistic spectrum, and we all know how imperative autists are in their opinions. Combine that with Lovecraft growing up in the time that he did, and he's little more than an autist of his era.

Looks like someone rolled a fumble at lost most of their health and sanity. Should've focused on your pow stat kid.

Try being polish and seeing witcher netflix show or another warsaw uprising movie.

>Game where all the players think they're cultists
>In reality they're just off their meds
Truly, the art house film of tabletops.

>not being hilariously racist.
I heard the villagers say "get lost outsider" to me TEN times and my character was black?
Not racist ha.

That's normal racism.

Hilarious racism is H.P. "Niggers are martians and hatch from eggs" Lovecraft

This is some anger I can get behind.

your point?

>DMing
>DMing
>DM

>I AM SO FUCKING SICK OF LOVECRAFT
So in other words, you wanted a Lovecraft thread and decided the best way to do that is to make other fans flock to defend it?
You could of just make one the normal way user.

>RACIST XENOPHOBE

>implying Lovecraft was wrong to fear niggers

>Odins army fighting the Fey
Sounds fucking stupid.

Truly, oh prophet, you have convinced me.

Lovecraft's racism was even from the beginning directed towards alien cultures rather than races. And everything that wasn't Anglo-Scandinavian was alien, according to Lovecraft. He does not seem to have had much problems with foreigners who assimilated into his preferred culture, and indeed described his wife as "well-assimilated".

That said, Lovecraft also seems to have been far more racist than was typical for his time, and his pen pals, in particular Robert, argued with him over this constantly. It is also true that later in his life his racism seems to have been toned down, and his correspondence with, among others, Robert probably had some part in it, though it's also worth noting that by then he had lived in New York for some time and would thus naturally have been exposed to more cultures which probably had a far bigger impact on him.

>Try being polish
Jesus, no thanks

OP is correct. Mindlessly aping Lovecraft - or what you mistakenly think is "Lovecraft" - is even worse than mindlessly aping Tolkien.

Sure, but that doesn't mean I'm not gonna give him shit for being a gigantic bitch about it.

your imput is not valued in life and is sure as hell not valued in any games

the "insight" mechanic should have been way better.

Cthul-Rex is comin' your way, OP.

love craft done wrong > shit > everything else > love craft done right

The best analogy I can think of is this youtube.com/watch?v=zCxPT7UUkkY
no one is impressed by the monster, no one is impressed by the gasping horror god. The secret kept from your audience is EVERYTHING, the moment you let the reader / players in on the secret its all over. Lovecraft has always been the about the fear of the UNKNOWN.

like this guy here, its good that your players never asked about the gods, if you explained it to them it would be shit dude.

While you were chimping out, XCTHUT'FDGSHKDFG'DFJIBHGDFJIG showed up. Roll a sanity check.

I meant the greater than symbols to be arrows I fuck that up hard.

Strange. Its appearance in your game seems to have driven you quite mad.

I wish /pol/troons would stay in their fucking containment boards.

Try reading "Innsmouth" and tell me those fishfolk aren't niggers.

Part of the problem is definitely Lovecraft. Have you tried to read his prose?

Or Unknown Armies/GURPS Cabal/Illuminati

I liked Eldritch Moon though. But I don't want to see the eldrazi for at least another 3 years.

Try reading "Reanimator"and tell me those niggers aren't fishfolk.

Kek'd and chek'd

I think Lovecraft is a bit overplayed too, but the basic themes of the universe being much older than humanity and home to things much greater in scope and capability than humanity who will ultimately perish and be forgotten like all the others are quite resonant.

I like Lovecraft though...his stories are spooky and interesting.

Reading the stories AFTER getting over-exposure of all the pseudo-lovecraftian shit was quite an eye opener to be honest. People falsely push the OMG TENTACLES EVERYWHERE PRAISE CTHULHU! LETS BEAT HASTUR WITH TNT!

They completely miss the fact that its the unknown aspect of these things is what makes the stories. Lovecraft was scared of anything different. This made him racist and was also the basis of all his writing. Also his ever present nihilism.

Even the shit of "Humanity can never win" thing is bullshit. Arkham Horror, Case of Charles Dexter Ward, and even Shadow Over Innsmouth and the Call of Cthulhu to a lesser extent. All these had humans prevailing in some way. The biggest thing is that it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. But the grand scheme doesn't really matter to humans. Yes, Cthulhu might wake up when the stars align and his cultists are able to get to him and open his crypt but even that is likely at a very far off date, if it happens at all. The Deep Ones say they COULD wipe out humanity, but they are fat and lazy and don't want to. Until I see results I call bullshit on that.

Colour Out of Space is some scary shit though.

Man it was pretty funny to see the reaction of some ''fans'' of these angels. Good stuff.

Are you alright?

I unironically agree op, I am fucking sick of lovecraft shit. When everything is cosmic horror, nothing is.

I very much agree.

Eldritch greater than human things in Lovecraft operate on a different time scale than humans. The setting just takes anthropocentrism down a notch. Your entire family line probably happened between C'thulhu's snores, and will probably die out the next time he rolls over.

deal w/it pleb

>Lovecraft is difficult to read

lol come back to him when/if you graduate high school

Him being a racist xenophobe is part of his enduring appeal, though. Stay mad, leftist scum.

He isn't *hard* to read, but he is stylistically antiquated. There is a reason he "shews" instead of "shows", but as someone who read all of Lovecraft when I was about 13-14, it's not *that* bad.
Worst case scenario, keep a digital thesaurus on hand, like you would with any other writer with an antiquated style

Debatable. Shortly before writing Innsmouth Lovecraft discovered parts of his family were Welsh (terrifying if you're an anglo-obsessed autist like Lovecraft, as another user mentioned Lovecraft's thing was more cultures than races). Another one of Lovecraft's big sources of fear was that he would end up going insane like his parents did. A story about cursed bloodlines doesn't necessarily mean "the scary black people took our women".

Besides, the Deep Ones are described as having a very advanced culture compared to humans even if they are monstrous. That doesn't seem like something Lovecraft would do if he were making them a direct analogy to black people.

If you want a certifiable example of Lovecraft's racism coming through in his writing read Red Hook.

So I guess this is as good a place as any to pose this question.

Forever GM here, looking to change things up with a new system. Group says they are interested in playing CoC, we have done horror themed D&D and it went well, so I think this has potential.

My question is which edition should I try getting us into? None of us have any experience at all with CoC. Also are there any modules good for a GM new to the system?

5e and 6e are basically the same and have the most published material, 7e has a few nice new mechanics but, though I prefer 6e, I don't really think either of them is "better" than the other. Just check them out and pick whichever one you think looks easier to run.

Man the fuck up you crybaby cunt

>MILLENNIAL
>NUMALE
If you said Cuck or Beta we'd have a trifecta. Naturally all of this buzzword butthurt convinces nobody.
Opinion discarded.

You should calm down and learn to behave like a rational adult.

As for the *content* of your post, I am entirely ambivalent about Lovecraft. I'm not going to run a game with Lovecraftian Horrors, nor am I going to actively seek them out, but if a friend uses them in a campaign they're GMing, why should I give a fuck? How is it worse than using Demons or Devils or Angels or Dragons or whatever the fuck?

So is this the new shitposting copypasta for the next few weeks?

Another theme that popped up a few times was the idea of white populations "regressing", as seen in The Lurking Fear. Hillbillies spooked Lovecraft almost as bad as biracial people

I like this copypasta

>lets judge this guy from the past by our own modern standards
Anyone who think Lovecraft's racism came through in his writing is either retarded or has never read a single one of his stories.

Reminder Lovecraft slowly gave up more and more of his racist views as life went on and said he disliked Shadow Over Innsmouth because it was too overtly racist.

this. Welsh are practically fish people in real life, and their language sounds like fish people speak. Furthermore, everyone knows that black people can't swim, unlike fish people.

Bloodbornes great. Its my favorite game hands down. It does Lovecraft better than any other video game. But it is not better than the source material.

Isn't the point of Lovecraft not the spooky aliens but how insignificant humans are in the grand scheme? Like canonically when the elder gods awake humans have been extinct for millions of years and two other races have lived and died since

It's true, in lovecraft's case his xenophobia was really more of a true phobia, unlike the contemporary use of the word to mean "not liking people from other cultures". He had an irrational fear of outsiders, in the same way arachnophobes have irrational fear of spiders. Of course, as he grew older he became more experienced with the world, and lost a lot of his fear. He even married a jewish woman.

>prove me wrong
The fact that you can fight and win against the threat disproves your point. The entire concept behind Lovecraft's work is the insignificance of man. While that may make for a shitty RPG experience, it works excellently for a horror novel.