"This time for sure" edition

>Commander 2017 Spoilers
mythicspoiler.com/c17/index.html

>Latest Commander Ban Announcement
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18588

>Latest MTGO Banlist Update
wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/160343614814/update-mtgo-commander

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread Question:
What general do you run that gets the most hate and why?

>Thread Question
Sunforger, because it's the best the colors have to offer.

How would the interaction between Halls of Mist and Karona, False God play out?

>What general do you run that gets the most hate and why?
Kambal, because I play him, but I don't play him oppressively enough that other players cannot keep casting spells.
It always results in them losing half their life and me ending up with 80+ while I do absolutely nothing, and then it starts being an Archenemy game which I cannot deal with.

Assuming she never becomes a new object (dies/exiles/bounces) and she attacks each turn when able (for simplicity) on the first rotation on the table, everyone may attack with her, during the second round of rotation, no one can attack with her.

Cool, that's what I thought. Thanks!

Def the EDH General

Did yall know that Vorosh the hunter can close out games quickly?

>Guys, I'm just sitting over here doing what my deck is supposed to do. I'm not even good at it. Like, why can't I hold all these triggered abilities? Why are you all looking at me?

This is the first time I've read this type of complaint and been entertained enough to agree with your take on your position. You do you, Kembal. Keep on keepin' on.

Brago stax. I never wanted to, but my meta got super competative and I wanted to actually have fun with them again, so begrudgingly joined the arms race.

>6 mana
>On-Combat-Damage trigger and no trample
>3-hit clock as commander against the first victim, same as something with native power 7.

user, there are better voltrons. Maybe not in Sultai, because you can count all Sultai commanders fairly trivially, but he needs a good deal of support that would be better thrown at something like Skullbriar or, you know, anybody who holds swords well. Look for native double strike, maybe white in the color identity. A lower cost would be nice as would haste and/or trample, though they're not strictly necessary. Vorosh is the commander you take if you want to play Sultai Goodstuff and Damia or Tasigur would get too much hate.

>Skullbriar
yeah thats a better version of this deck but its pretty similar - the counter spells
first attack goes for 6
second goes for 12
third goes for 18 -first player killed
4th goes for 24
5th for 24 - second player killed
6th goes for 24 -3rd player killed

average kill turn for voltron being 12 with the only turn you need to tap out for is turn 6
actually looking at this now it doenst seem fast at all, I have no idea how this works against tuned decks but it did last night.

I only run 3 equipment in the deck, Including results for O-Naginata, swifties and darksteel plate

Mostly because people don't want to put up with my shit, I did try to design it on fucking over one person while keeping others in check.

That's a strange way to spell Atarka, World Render

sexy!

The minute a stax piece comes out it feels like there's a bunch of laser sights on my forehead. Doesn't matter if I'm the only reason the combo player hasn't exploded off and killed everyone yet, they'll all send their Humility'd 1/1s at me nonstop

I also run Kaalia, who tends to attract countermagic like a lightning rod

have you considered they don't enjoy playing with you?

>have you considered they don't enjoy playing with you?
people dont really get this butthurt over precon commanders right?

No, not your deck, you personally.

So fellas, I got this new bro who never played Commander before. I got him to be hyped for it, but here's the problem: He doesn't buy singles. he buys boxes to drafts, and that's cool, but he's coming over tomorrow night to play some gaems and he told me he built his deck out of cards he has lying around.

I did the same, but I'm afraid the cards I have laying around might be a bit pushed, since I've been playing for longer then him.

not him
but that sounds like the other players are incredibly immature

Tell him to man up and buy singles. Unless he buys boxes of Conspiracy 1+2, he is a blight upon the hobby.

Cant for the life of me build this deck in any way that actually takes advantage of him as a commander
is there any reason to use him over geth or really any mono black commander?

Yea, I plan on easing him into buying singles, but you don't fucking come right out of the gates with ''c'mon cuck, buy singles you waste of skin''

>Playing a Kaalia deck yesterday against someone that's never done EDH before
>Get Kaalia out turn five, opponent still has no creatures.
>Destroy all lands the following turn, win the game three turns later with big angels.
>Guy doesn't want to play again

It was my first time running that deck so it was awesome to see but I feel bad that I crushed him in eight turns and may have ruined the format for him.

>''c'mon cuck, buy singles you waste of skin''
almost word for word what my playgroup told me
it helped

>Guy doesn't want to play again
thats understandable
you really shouldnt have played kaalia vs him in the first place

I really don't care.

I have low-power pet decks that I use for casual games and nobody has any issues. They also don't have any issues until they see the stax strategy come together, so I really doubt that it's just me they have an issue with. Shitters just get angry when their game of solitaire gets interrupted and they target whoever's interrupting them. On the other hand, good/more experienced players usually leave the stax pieces alone until they have a window to push ahead or go for the win. It all comes down to timing and threat assessment, which a lot of less skilled/experienced players just don't have.

Pretty sure you can use his ability to double up on kill spells, so you can try making it more kill control.

Is she that OP? I knew her ability seemed amazing but I just thought having an Angel/Dragon deck would be awesome. I hadn't done any research into tiers or anything like that.

>Is she that OP?
against someone who doenst know how to play?
yes

shes very strong, but people have no evolved since the first pre-cons. People are aware of Kaalia and that she needs to die immediately. Same with Rafiq, which is why you don't see them that much anymore

Fair enough if I can talk him into playing again I'll use my other deck.

Brago, followed closely by Ghave.

Why? Well, Brago is obvious. It's filled with counterspells, bounce, wraths, and a bunch of no-fun-allowed things. After my lgs saw me flicker exclusion ritual and phyrexian ingester with dampening matrix and linvala out, Brago has never been allowed to hit the field.

Ghave is much more degenerate, but for some reason, draws a lot less hate among "casual" players. Any experienced player ever sees ghave, they immediately focus all the hate imaginable at me, but I guess until you see him combo off five to ten times, you don't know.

She isn't OP but she can kill a single player very quickly. It's not uncommon for Kaalia to kill someone on turn 3/4. She hates out a single player early (you want to do it to whoever has the best chance of stopping you from winning, usually the blue player), so she isn't really the best opponent for introducing someone to the game since they're just gonna get slammed by something way above their paygrade that's targeted straight at them

Every. Fucking. Time.

With a haste enabler and a damage double effect, you can one shot people very easily. Dragons build is really good.

Best girl.

Yes. Anyone who reads Kaalia knows some degenerate bullshit is going to happen, and using it on a new player is pretty awful, particularly with MLD. It'd be exactly the same as dropping Mana Crypt t1 and comboing off t3 with some degenerate nonsense.

>Turn1 land
>Turn2 land, ramp
>Turn3 land, ramp
>Turn4 land, fires of yavimaya, dictate of the twin gods
>Turn5 land, atarka, kill a player if he blocks sac fires to get through if the blocker has 7 toughness or less

Correction: the blocker has to have 11 toughness or more to prevent the player losing

Anyone have a Zurgo Helmsmasher voltron list they had fun with? Something with a lot of equipment and auras

>when I play something that ruins everyone's game plan, they focus me
why are you surprised?

why have equipment and auras when you can just have more MLD and wraths?
clearly the plans wasnt ruined enough if they can still retaliate

You're gonna blow up all a new player's lands, and then act surprised that this could be considered poor manners? C'mon, man. You really just made a newbie sit there with literally no options while you beat him to death for three turns?

I wasn't expecting him to have drawn that poorly. He just pulled a deck list off the internet same as me. I'm calling him a noob but really I've only played EDH twice, and never with that deck before.

>I wasn't expecting him to have drawn that poorly.
did he even know what his deck does?

ruined doesn't necessarily mean they lost
"your creatures don't work" is about as big of a hate card there is, you must have brain problems if you can't realize why people want it gone

Zurgo only needs one equipment: Worldslayer.

I mean, a Whispersilk Cloak or other source of unblockable can help get him the first connect, I guess.

>ruined doesn't necessarily mean they lost
yeah but it also implies they cant kill you in retaliation
because if they can then you really need to get the lock in harder to prevent it

I'm not saying you're a dick for beating him, just, blowing up all his lands? Really? That's basically guaranteed to cause some feels-bad moments.

jesus fuck, there's no saving you

I believe it was get land fast and play big red/green guys. I don't remember the name of his commander, one of the legendary enchantments that can be creatures.

>blight upon the hobby.

So someone who buys the boxes the company produces, allowing them to gain the money to produce more cards is a blight compared to someone buying secondhand, thus not supporting the game?

>About to go ape with some horrible, creature-based combo
>Yes! Baral tapped out! Now I just have to get through Roon's turn...
>Humility
>Blast! My schemes are ruined! I must kick Roon to death with 1/1s for his temerity!

Checks out to me.

Mostly I just really like Conspiracy.

>jesus fuck, there's no saving you

>ill tap 2 and play thalia
>OMG U SAKC o SHIT I KILL !!!!
yeah maybe at that point you should think about investing in a winter orb
theres no fixing people who cant deal with being interacted with

>shilling for (((Wizards))) this hard

why would you go out of your way to get less bang for your buck from a company that has likely swindled you out of hundreds if not thousands of dollars already

Stax is the antithesis of interaction, honey pie.

She's pretty fucking good. Play the best angels, demons, and dragons the format has to offer for free. Bring in Iona or Master of Cruelties and it's basically GG. Competent players know not to let her resolve or live to swing.

A honey pie would be a horrible sticky mess.

>Thalia, a mild inconvenience, is equivalent to Humility, a hard counter
Alrighty then

I'm brewing a UR artificer deck with Jhiora at the helm. Any spicy tech I should be aware of?

>double kill spells
>double black instants if you have non-spell ways to kill enemy creatures
He is incomparable to Geth. They just do completely different things.
You going to say all black commanders are the same? Know Maralen? Know Balthor? Know Marrow-Gnawer?

Toshiro is really unique in what he does, he basically has a red effect. There's really no replacement for him in the kind of a deck that uses him.

Make sure to have lots of your own creatures and grave pact/butcher of malakir as well.

Stax literally forces the opponent to interact with it if they want any chance of winning. Combo is the antithesis of interaction.

>Stax is the antithesis of interaction
how is preventing something from happening not interaction?
im not doing it because its GOOD for me im doing it because its WORSE for you

he did mention, if you recall, that it happened whenever he dropped any tax piece not just humility

I like Drana as a monoblack commander. The XBB effect kills indestructible creatures for very little mana, AND pumps Drana so you can easily hit people with your giant flying beater.

Monoblack is difficult to build. Goodstuff decks all become Exanguinate.dek, which are accomplished much easier in a two colour deck, otherwise you have to build specifically around your commander, which isn't always fantastic if you don't have a firm strategy.

Geth and Toshiro are completely different. Geth is really a powerful general for big black mana because he can deck someone instantly, while reanimating things with utility. Toshiro lets you turn a removal spell into two, then into three if you run Reaper from the Abyss, or engage in some kind of crazed combo/degenerate play. Recurring Rite of Consumption could be pretty cool, particularly with a giant fatty and dirty Mike.

Super secret tech: Blightsteel Colossus

I'm of the opinion that Blightsteel fits into almost every single commander deck ever created.

To be fair people that run creature based decks (the only kind of decks you can really "trust" in the first place) have to beat humility or lose. If I don't have removal for humility in hand, I'm going to try to murder the guy with it in his deck, because once he top decks it I don't have many options left.

I don't see how this is an improper strategy, and if humility guy can't see that he is fucking retarded.

Pretty secret tech no doubt

reverse Stax and Combo in that sentence and see how retarded this argument is

>meet a fellow Kruphix player at a tourney side event
>pour through his deck list while he checks out mine
>deck is full of eldrazi and other less respectable fatties, no filtering or draw, curve starts at three
>meanwhile he's passing nothing but card draw and tutors through his fingers, all devoted to getting deadeye+palinchron
>hand each others decks back with a simultaneous "looks good"

getting killed by 1/1s is pretty hard user

>"looks good"
why would you lie to him?

That's the difference between being a bitch and being a cunt.

I didn't have the time or energy to unfuck his shit.

is there really no other option?

>hey man you should look into some ramp and card filtering
yeah I know what you mean i really dont have time for plebs either

see

...Yes?
That is why I posted what that.

It's an OP 21 turn clock, Lifegain decks can't do anything to stop it!

i really dont get the big deal then

I know we're shitting on the other guy, but why Deadeye and Palinchron for a Kruphix deck? You sill need 7 lands or a mana double plus an outlet. That combo is much better suited for something like Tasigur or Thrasios

Nvm I'm retarded and was thinking about Palinchron plus Phantasmal Image or something, forgetting that Deadeye is just busted

Speaking of that combo, is it worth the money for a Palinchron or am I fine with just using Peregrine Drake for my infinite land untapping shenanigans?

You may be right. I've since dropped Kruphix in favor of Teferi. The original plan was to power out Kruphix with some efficient ramp, spend a couple rounds floating mana before forcing through tooth and nail into decking my opponents. I wasn't really trying to shit on the other guy. I just thiugh our mutual response was amusing. His deck wasn't good but mine was just another kind of bad.

Palinchron has more ways to combo, but if you're planning on using Deadeye/Displacer then Drake is perfectly acceptable

I mean it's not bad either way but the patrician way to build Kruphix is fill it to the brim with big draw spells, big ramp spells and big creatures. Something like all "draw X" spells, Consecrated Sphinx, Well of Ideas, Howling Mine, Thought Reflection, Dictate of Kruphix, Boundless Realms, Kydele, Seedborn Muse, Zendikar Resurgent, Mana Reflection, Doubling Cube, Animist's Awekening, all the Eldrazi titans, Vorinclex, Jin-Gitaxias, Genesis Wave and Helix Pinnacle as secret wincon

My general isn't that important. I play mono B ramp with bunch of tutors, mass reanimation, expensive win cons, two card win cons and some locks, like Lethal Vapors + Pithing Needle, Contamination with token generators and shit like that. My friends fucking hate me now.

Pali is great. You can get by with the drake but Pali is something you can beat down with in a pinch and allows for other combat shenanigans if pressed. It also goes infinite with cards other than deadeye.

>let me just drop this oblivion stone, oh wait stony silence
>i'll just use reclamation sage on humility/torpor orb wait nevermind
>stopping people from interacting somehow promotes interaction

A single stax piece that affects your opponents much more than you is fine, but gunning for hard locks is literally "don't you fucking dare do anything, just sit tight and let me circumvent my own lock in a slow and painfully boring way until I win"

>don't you fucking dare do anything, just sit tight and let me circumvent my own lock in a slow and painfully boring way until I win"
thats fun though

I used to think that land destruction had no place in casual EDH... But now I realize I had a warped view of casual EDH. I used to think that cards like Sheoldred, Jitte, Ulamog, a few God enchantment creatures, etc all had no place in casual EDH.
Nowadays I realize that these things are fine for casual EDH, but with that realization I've also realized that Land Destruction should be fine as well. The truth is that if someone is playing mono red they not only can't take care of powerful enchantments but they have very few ways to take out creatures with over 7 toughness or indestructible creatures. So are you going to tell me that they should either A) get very lucky or B) willingly lose the game because they have no options?
No, neither of those choices are acceptable. The truth is that land destruction is the most powerful tool in Red's arsenal, not using it puts mono red players at a supreme disadvantage. If you feel like you're allowed to use supremely strong creatures "because they can be removed" or supremely strong enchantments "because they can be removed" then I feel that I'm allowed to use supremely strong land destruction "because you can run mana rocks".
And just as you say "Well you should run more removal!" I say "Well you should run more mana rocks!" and then you can say "Well I do but they aren't in my hand right now!" and I reply WITH THE EXACT SAME SENTIMENT towards removal.
So at the end of the day I say this; If the point of casual edh is still to win, which it obviously is if you're running $20 powerful praetors, then I'm going to do what I can to win, which is to keep you from being able to play those praetors.

Newzuri was my most hated commander, lacked sage of hours but had infect. Also feels good knowing that I play gitrog combo without being seen as a complete faggot in my group. Post em if you got em

are we revving up the sperg memes already?
we havent even hit 100 posts yet
also the amount of moving goalposts in this post are really troubling

>yeah I already have cultivate and explosive vegetation for ramp and concentrate and preators council for draw
If I had a dollar for every schmuck that's brushed off my advice, I could afford lessons on tact.

literally the only decks I own