/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

"Praise the God-Emperor and Pass the Ammunition" Edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee and that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

>Where did the Mandragora Apocrypha go?
The namefag working on it has fucked off to finish it in peace after our autists yelled at him over the unfinished version they found.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.15) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
mediafire.com/file/w1d6aq5cdr6anmh

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.13) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/file/d28i243u2k7di3z

Previous: What's the worst situation you/your players have been in and somehow survived?

Other urls found in this thread:

wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Umbra
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>catholic

Where are all the cats in 40k anyway? Did they snort them all already?

Any updates on possibilities with the new WHFrpg publisher?

>What's the worst situation you/your players have been in and somehow survived?

alone on a lost world, abandoned by the voidship that brought us, at the start of a tyranid invasion, personally being hunted by a psychic flying hive tyrant on fire with fate points, while DH1 rank 6.

I dont know anything about the lore. Is this a good system? Can I DM this only by reading the manual without an idea about the whole lore of WH40k

Yes. the official setting is 200 years before the nucanon catastrophe

So the game is before most of the canon happens? Cool

No, it's actually after, there is a fuckton of content and the last bit of it is really new and not really much developed yet, dark heresy is set before that

Dude. Nucanon is 000M42. RPGs are 815M41. 200 years between official GIG canon and makebelieve GW nucanon

between official FFG canon*

Yes and no. I'd recommend getting at least the basics down before you start going through the rulebooks, otherwise you may end up getting confused. That said, it is still theoretically possible.

Well. This seems confusing

It's not. 40k is a setting. The "present" of the setting used to be 999.M41, but GW has started pushing the timeline forward because enough autists screeched about wanting a story instead of a setting.
The stories that take place in Dark Heresy, unless your GM decrees otherwise, takes place in the year 815.M41, which is about 200 years before 999.M41

What's there not to get?

yes, but was under the impression that because it's set before nucanon then there is not much lore to learn. and this is false

If you dig through all the back story, there is a fuck ton of canon. Most of the canon is back story. However most of the events that are centered around the wargame and the newest releases for said wargame happen almost 200 years later than the canon RPG setting.

Essentially Games Workshop advance the Timeline a little bit with every new release of an army or edition. The RPGs are set in the 800th year of the 41st Millennium while the tabletop wargame has reached the 42nd Millennium. Nothing stopping you from setting your game whenever you want really, you'd just need to do a little bit of homebrewing.

Which is what you should be doing to be honest. GW gave us "more than a million worlds" and 10000 years of history specifically so that there is a capacity for near endless homebrewing. This idea I've seen spat around the other 40k threads of "Making Your Dudes is autism" is perhaps the clearest indictment of much of the modern 40k fanbase that there could be.

Absolutely. My games are set around 480.M41. Got some little necrons waking up, Ork roks slinging about and Kaiju eating the Rimward edge of the sector. Some people get incredibly attached to their own interpretations that they forget it's just that, an interpretation.

Yeah, I've pretty much the designated GM/40k dictionary of the group, but when someone steps up to GM I always tell them not to be afraid to do something unique or crazy because 40k it seems to me, especially classic 40k, is not so much a solid setting as much as it is an aesthetic. And so long as you fit that dark, regressive, gothic aesthetic, you can get away with just about anything.

There's an author for Black Library who said something like that, I forget which one and I don't have the screencap.

>What's the worst situation you/your players have been in and somehow survived?
A deathwatch party facing down a chaos lord. It literally came down to the next successful hit winning the battle between the last standing marine and the Chaos Lord.

Are there any good ways to build a Biologis Tech-Priest like a Genetor or something?

I'm thinking of building a Slaaneshi Heretek in my upcoming Black Crusade game, but it would be fun to have some more twisted things to do besides just being "The Flesh is Weak" to the extreme, and building a bunch of drug injectors into my body, and getting myself and my allies high as fuck.

I'm looking at making her into a sexy robotgirl, and really liking the look of the Blade-Tines, Nerve Induction Tines and Pheromone generators. Plus the whole fact that what every other 40KRPG book calls the "Medicae Mechandendrite" is called the "Medicae/Torture Mechadendrite" in this one.

rogue trader into the storm genetor talents

Alright thanks, anyone got more Heretek art, or good cybernetics to look into getting for her?

Or sexy robot girl art

If (and this is a real if, for several reasons) your GM lets you, try for a Sarcosan Wave/Field Generator

Which book?

Looking through, trying to figure that out. Pretty sure it's DH 1e, not sure which splatbook

There are rules for an "Anima Aura" which uses the Sarcosan Generator, p. 46 of the Radical's Handbook (which, side note, is always a good place to look for Heretical stuff). I'd also recommend checking out Disciples of the Dark Gods and the Lathe Worlds if you plan on playing a Heretek (both DH 1e)

Can you become an Obliterator in Black Crusade?

Alright guys, i need some help here.
As part of my Black Crusade campaign, i want my players to resolve the war in the Hollows, by siding with one of the forges and there for gaining them as an ally. Problem is, im not sure how to end the war. What type of "super weapon" would work for each side, and how powerful would it had to be to tip the scales? Could a dangerous mission do the thing? That feels a bit boring.
I drawing blank here folks. I could really use some help.

No, but im sure theres a homebrew for it somewhere.

Right you are (though I'm pretty sure it was intended for DH as the Corruption per stage is rather high)

Yeah, use a flash gitz snazzgun with maxed chaos marine toughness :^)

I would like an example of someone's Deathwatch Character Folio for an example while I fill mine out.

Why is good gothic organ music so hard to find? Youtube is determined to show me nothing but that, at this point, generic, dracula theme by Bach

Cat's tendencies towards hate, lust, cunning, and sloth made them tailor-made for falling to chaos.
Those who had not turned by the 35th century were culled by order of the Ecclesiarchy

how'd you survive that one?

Is there any RPG stuff regarding the Hrud? Weapons, ideas for campaigns, possibly pc characters, that kind of thing?

Fuck, i just realized "PC characters" is redundant

Does having Unnatural Attribute (in this specific case Intelligence (2)) actually increase skill checks and shit or when would by Intelligence bonus actually come into play?

What are the best options for a combat focused Tech Priest in Dark Heresy 2nd?

I really don't know which role to choose or which cyber will be the most beneficial, just some armor or weapon mechadendrites, or something else?

It gives you an additional degree of success on all Int tests.

its centered around ultramarines primaris spess muhrenns

basically DW set in the dark imperium

>DW
>Not the infinitely more interesting BC
Why live?

Mechanicus Secutor (Inquisitor's Handbook p. 68) or Crimson Guard (Lathe Worlds p 39) are probably your best bet. Crimson Guard is a bit broken though. Also not technically a Tech Priest.

I don't see why not

The obliterator virus allows them to have and use several weapons all at once but gradually you turn into a pile of goo iirc

just grab some terminator armor and a bunch of heavy weapons and gradually go insane/die to insanity points/melt

On opposed checks with identical Degrees of Success the one with rhe higher attribute bonus wins.
In addition levels of "unnatural attribute" negate a level of penalty, at least in Deathwatch. So a Marine rolling a (-10) Strenght test rolls a +-0 check instead.
Look into the entry of "unnatural whatever" to see if it still applies in whatever gameline you play.

Dark Heresy: Disciples of the Dark Gods, p. 74 according to the 40k wikia

Should I take Tech Use and Security as starting skills or just Tech Use +10?

Tech Use is far more generally useful, at pretty much everything. And Security can be acquired later for just 200 XP (Im assuming you're playing BC).

Gotta shill those primaris, son

Ok, so that's their main gun.

Lemme fire up the gold noggin;
They come in perhaps more than one form, some are big wormy things, some are a bunch of noodles sticking out from under a cloak with no "spine", at some point they were basically skaven in claoks you couldn't see inside it was just dark
They can just disappear or appear somewhere
Last I checked they're mostly Nocturnal
They have some sort of unnatural toughness trait and probably regenerate
They occasionally have an aura and or gun that causes the target to age like some weird sci-fi story, I think it's an actual blurb somewhere, maybe in a guard codex? that some unit fought them for years and had to keep rotating troops out because fighting them for a year turned you into a decrepid geezer
They're more than definitely some sort of warp critter but not really daemons?
They tend to multiply like rats sometimes, sometimes you'll just find one in a sewer, sometimes you'll find one in a sewer and if you don't manage to kill it tomorrow there will be 10 million and a full on invasion, but those are really rare
They tend to operate in packs, kind of like small clans of them, but they can appear alone
Sometimes they work as mercenaries (wut?)

pic related that's also a hrud in the lower left red full box

Oh, and they're most commonly found near the maelstrom warp storm for some reason no one can explain, that's where a majority of their incursions occour and so far nobody has explained why

also they've basically been ret-conned and redone like 3 or 4 times despite never having a model

Yeah, alright, what does Security actually get used for?

Also Meditation or Total Recall?

Isn't that 1st edition?

>They're more than definitely some sort of warp critter

Any day before last week I would have agreed with you...

There is nothing wrong with the Crimson Guard.

I apparently can't read. My bad

Not-dying cybernetics would be a good start.

>Any day before last week I would have agreed with you...

what are you worried about them spilling out all along the rift or something?

No. They're not daemons.

They're creatures from the future, and depending on how you stretch the wording of the text they may even be degenerated humans. They are retreating through time from some terrible catastrophe. If you kill a hrud, it is irrelevant - you only killed the hrud that existed in that instance of time. That same hrud still exists in every other instance of time, past and future. Essentially, the same hrud you face off against in 40k are the exact same beings in 30k and moving ever backwards. You could fight one hrud and kill it one day, and tomorrow meet the same hrud because you hadn't killed it yet. Meanwhile, that same hrud is continuing to run from...something.

Not the guy you're replying to, but

wut

Perturabo: Hammer of Olympia

>The hrud are not migrating through space, but time. The Imperium encounters the same creatures, over and over again, throughout history.
>Guy and I couldn't decide if the were heading forwards in time, skipping the Imperium's brief stint in the galactic spotlight, or if they were fleeing backwards into the past to escape some horrible event that was still to come, or some other menace that the Imperium hasn't encountered yet.
>I know where my head-canon is at, though...
>Now go back and look again. Sooooo many clues as to what Guy thinks is happening, too.

-Laurie J Goulding on Bolter and Chainsword

Essentially, the Hrud are traveling through time, that much is inarguable - the direction then diverges on FORWARD (Guy Haley), or BACKWARD (Laurie J Goulding), and is up to opinion. I think that Laurie's takes precedence, as he was head of black library at the time the book was commissioned a while ago, and Guy is just the author.

I was working more along the lines there's other stuff that "resides" in the warp but isn't technically a daemon, primarily the enslavers

also here's some background on the Hrud God, maybe

wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Umbra

Whaaaaa

Where is this new fluff

I'm about to run a Black Crusade campaign with four of my friends, and decided to give them all a free mutation to start since they all started with at least 20 corruption

Pirate Prince goes first, rolls infamy to try for a Slaaneshi reward which he passes. Rolls and gets a Daemon weapon with the Shrieking quality. Pretty metal.

Thousand Sons Sorceror goes next. Rolls Wreathed in Chaos, covered in Tzeentchian lightning. Pretty sweet.

Excited, the Dark Apostle rolls next. Rolls Demonic Organ, chooses the face of a Flesh Hound/Bloodthirster. Dogface Killah is a go.

Super excited, the Warpsmith goes next. Rolls grossly fat. Loses most of his agility but hits 60 toughness. Has a full move of 2. 16 feet or pure ceramite and fat.

I'm excited to start.

Is the warpsmith from the Death Guard? He should be from the Death Guard.

He's actually completely new to the setting, and knows little of the fluff. He and I will talk through his backstory, I told him how much of a ridiculous tank he could become if he goes full Nurgle, though.

>60 toughness
>full move of 2
as someone who has only played Rogue Trader, is this as batshit insane as it sounds?

>Full move of 2
So it lowered the warpsmith to 19 agility or lower? Is that full move with or without Hulking?

I laughed for a solid minute after seeing it.

He now has 13 agility, he lost around 18 from the mutation. I haven't factored in anything from Hulking yet.

Somebody get this man a push trolley!

Tell him to get maglev coils and maglev transcendence so he can be a floating sack of fat and metal.

I did a rough calculation and he weighs roughly three quarters of what a fully grown Tyrannosaurus would weigh. According to the book he's in the same size category as a Sentinel.

I pity the person who has to push him

Yeah when I run homebrew I've kind of just ignored that result on the table because what it results in is so rediculous

basically yeah you need to do something like this

Most of the fun for us is how ridiculous the mutations get. He was ecstatic when he found out.

yeah, but if you have a Khorne Berzerker in the party either the Berzerker or the Slug is gonna die, he just takes too long to cart along.

I guess it works better if you let him turn into Urgot or something.

>Urgot

Thankfully no Berzerker.

I had the idea of letting the Sorcerer charging the Warpsmith's batteries with his lightning. This whole thing could get weird.

Second one

Are there any good damage calculators for Deathwatch? Heavy Bolters rolling lots of hits and righteous fury hits and then army and toughness calculation and body locations and critical effects... it really bogs the game down a lot.

>mfw I deliberately drop hints towards a great heresy using cats
>mfw my players spend the better part of a session debating how to kill a large amount of cats
>mfw I have no face

Look into horror movie soundtracks? I don't watch many but surely a few use organs?

She was an acolyte as well as a cyber-mastiff handler. As awkward as it was, it only got worse when she got mauled by her own cyber-mastiffs.

The Ravenor trilogy was not as good as the Eisenhorn trilogy.

Question for you all regarding DH2e and it's vehicle rules. If my bike has a pintle-mounted weapon, where does it fall for hit locations? Does it count as a Turret, or as a Weapon?

Probably a weapon location as it doesn't have any or much armored bulk to make it a turret.

>The Ravenor trilogy was not as good as the Eisenhorn trilogy.
I have the ravenor trilogy in my shelf but I'm never in the mood to start reading it since it seems Ravenor just sits in a chair and gets psychically beaten a lot

Kind of.
Ravenor is pretty high up on the Psyker tier chart, only being clearly beat out by a few of the obvious ones like Malcador, Magnus and arguably Ahriman. The books greatest flaw is that antagonist is a gigantic gary-stu, having memorized a large amount of Chaos grimoires and being able to create false memories in himself and others by sheer willpower, despite not having any psyker powers himself.

To put it shortly, the Dark Heresy Ascended books are heavily inspired by the Ravenor series, with many things in the books being direct references. My Will, Manifest is the ability Ravenor makes the most use out of. But as far as I can recall, Ravenor only directly kills one or two people in the series, a couple dozen tyranids, and the occasional daemon.

Ravenor killed a few poeple via sock puppet IIRC

A general tip I'd give for fighting mooks is to just assume hits to the body, and ignore the critical damage tables: 0 wounds is dead.

Armour and toughness you can't ignore, but try and remember the total soak to speed things up.

A weapon, and the person using can be tagged by called shots.

Struggling to find a place in a fairly full group with a new pc. What do you come up when a group already has people playing the medic, the sage, the face, the assassin, the sniper, the psyker, the techpriest?

Untouchable. Feral/death world warrior. Fanatic priest. Fanatic sob. The pilot. The desperado. The ganger. For God Emperor, there is a multitude of choices.

>Fat Warpsmith
You may want to modify the Old Glory with a Chaos 8-point star

>Untouchable. Feral/death world warrior. Fanatic priest. Fanatic sob. The pilot. The desperado. The ganger
Other than untouchable, which would actively fuck with the psyker why would you do that in a game you twat, all of those are also included in the character descriptions.
The face is a ganger and sob, the other face is a priest and warrior, the assassin is the pilot.

They do know they can edit these right? Up to your infamy bonus? And Unaligned characters get to roll twice on the table. And mortals get a second mutation at 20 Cor.

Fuck off. I was presenting you the options and you call me a twat? Neck yourself ungrateful faggot.

>The face is a ganger and sob

Retard spotted

>I was presenting you the options and you call me a twat?
No, I was saying playing an Untouchable in a group with a psyker is twatish, because it is. You are actively making yourself a problem for another party member.
>begins listing backgrounds, not methods of contributing to the group
>gets mad because his options are not actually anything other than roleplay that is already being done in the group
Have a good day, user.

7 people + (you) + GM. Gee I wonder if I'll be able to bake pizza when waiting for my turn ;-DD