media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Long ago, in the Before Times:
Outside of Curse of Strahd, have you used any horror movie/story monsters and clichés in your games? Have you run a horror-themed campaign, whether it was the more traditional sort or something more in the Lovecraft style? Was anyone spooked?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=e3fqE01YYWs
imgur.com/a/lXXs4
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/51382592/#51390645
drive.google.com/open?id=0B9p7DxYuE-3VQWRpNGQ0ckxLcTQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Anons? Long story short, I'm trying to create more "openly fantastical" races for an Oriental Adventures setting, and I could really use a hand to balance out this racial trait. Any suggestions?

Hengeyokai: You belong to a race of magical beasts that can assume partially or wholly humanoid form, as well as revert to your true bestial shape when it suits you. As an action, you can shift into any one of your three forms.

* In your Human Form, you gain Advantage on all Charisma (Deception) checks made to pass yourself off as human.

* In your beast form, which is determined by your race, your game statistics are replaced by the statistics of the beast, but retaining your alignment, personality, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma scores. You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those of the beast; if you and the beast have the same proficiency and the beast’s bonus is higher than yours, you use the beast’s bonus. You retain your hit dice, hit points, and the ability to speak and cast spells in beast form.

* Kitsune turn into foxes, tanuki turn into tanuki (use the stats for raccoons), mujinas turn into badgers, bakeneko turn into cats, itachi turn into weasels, kawauso turn into otters, jorogumo turn into spiders.

Wait, you're that 3d4 guy?

>itachi wizard
>sit in a tree and shoot fireballs all day
>itachi fighter
>can't even use my sword or shield
great

>cast spells in beast form
NO

>going mad

I had a horror adventure once that was part of the overall non-horror campaign.

One character was missing, and in the course of searching for him the party came upon a strange cavern. There were lava flows, and unresponsive blacksmiths, and a rumbling thudding sound that got stronger as they progressed.
I dimmed the lights and spoke softly and made sure to emphasize more than just vision. Whenever describing the thudding sound, I would stomp my foot ("thump-thump"), and steadily increased the power/volume of the stomp.
By the time they realized it was their friend's heart at least one player was almost unwilling to keep going. It was pretty intense.
The faerie with the gaping chest wound crying tears of blood and trying to rip their hearts out didn't hurt, either.

And people said elves were fantasy creatures

Please, user, this is a blue board. No naked breasts are to be posted.

Seconding this, spells + morphing is OP.

>That gyno
>Those childbearing hips

Either a tranny or someone who got shafted by the genetic lottery

Need that pasta about user running a game on Mars while everyone wears gas masks and listens to SOUNDS OF THE PLANETS youtube.com/watch?v=e3fqE01YYWs

How would you go about making a chase scene where an npc, who would rather flee than fight, and keep it interesting/fun? Traps and low hp mooks that they and PCs have to deal with?

You can't make it with that attitude. You'll reach my aesthetics one day.

>Weeb shit
This was supposed to be a safe space.

It's in a crowded alley or on top of some roofs or a wall and when enemies "die" they're just beaned by some crates or a collapsing market stall or fall off the edge in typical cartoon fashion. All traps and attacks are similar uses of the environment against the party.

Go to /pfg/ if you want your weebshit

>still have spellcasting while an animal
Hurry up and change it.

Is wushit acceptable here

How would I make a Roman soldier? I have all UA and supplements available.
Should I take spear master and shield master? or be a dex fighter and rock and roll with shield and short sword? What is the best martial archetype?

>men roleplaying raping each other
your friends are the most tremendous faggots

Alright, I'll remove that.

How can I avoid the "onion defenses" of the Wild Shaping Druid, though?

That's my biggest worry; we all know how Druids can pad out their health by constantly shifting back and forth between forms, and I don't want to make that into a racial ability - way too strong.

No casting in beast form and you should be fine.
Also get rid of kitsune because it invites the wrong kind of players.

>Rebel heroes, corrupt governments, evil sorcerers, and epic journeys
I don't see why not

Weebshit is a symptom, not a cause. I'd agree that you probably don't want tanukis and kitsunes in a normal fantasy game, but if you can moderate people's autism it's fine in a far east game.

Disentigrate and portants

K.

How do you propose a group of faggots go about doing this?

Yes... But uhh...

Why do you remember it as 3d4?

Start by tying the ropes to something sturdy. Then make a loop that fits over your head.

What about allowing them to speak? Because, y;know, the ability to talk as an animal is one of the things that hengeyokai can traditionally do, off the top of my head.

I can understand the no-spellcasting thing, because that's a game-balance issue, and hopefully the way it's written makes it clear that you don't gain or lose any HP by shifting between native forms, so I guess I just wanted to be clear if the talking matters.

HP shouldn't change when shifting when both forms are your real form. EZPZ.

The plot thickens...

>How do you propose a group of faggots go about doing this?
Buy a bunch of skirts, and girly wigs. Don't forget the vaseline.

I'm giving Tiefling a try for once, having a hard time deciding whether I want the base Infernal Legacy or Devil's Tongue.
Thaumaturgy or Vicious Mockery lads?

>Why do you remember it as 3d4?
Something about a barbarian

Sure, speaking is fine.
Just remember that if you want them as races they need to be balanced with other races. Transformation is a pretty strong utility effect (compare with changelings). I'd make the races have +1 to two stats, be able to transform, and probably that's it.

"You can use this feature once at 1st level, twice at 5th and thrice at 11th. You regain all uses when you finish a long rest."
Or something. But also this

So, at the end of the day, what's the difference between a Cleric and a Warlock? Both are just having their power granted by an exceptionally powerful individual

The real question is if you add Strength or Con.

Do mujinas have testicles they wear as a hat?

Warlock's patrons aren't gods.

One gets its power through prayer and worship, the other signed a deal.

Raven Queen kind of changed that.

Clerics are granted power as a reward for their faith and service.
Warlocks are granted power because they sign a contract that probably fucks them over in some fashion.

I see literally no reason this wouldn't be the case.

Clerics worship their patron
Warlocks are more employees

Strength of course or dex if you're trying some crazy position.

Why isn't there a nigger in the op

Yeah, I'm asking just how to write it up to make it clear that your TFing doesn't affect your current hitpoints. Does this look clear enough?

Hengeyokai: You belong to a race of magical beasts that can assume partially or wholly humanoid form, as well as revert to your true bestial shape when it suits you. As an action, you can shift into any one of your three forms.

* Hybrid Form is your default form. It functions as normal for a character.

* In your Human Form, you gain Advantage on all Charisma (Deception) checks made to pass yourself off as human. It otherwise functions as Hybrid Form.

* In your Beast Form, which is determined by your race, your game statistics are replaced by the statistics of the beast, but retaining your alignment, personality, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma scores. You also retain all of your skill and saving throw proficiencies, in addition to gaining those of the beast; if you and the beast have the same proficiency and the beast’s bonus is higher than yours, you use the beast’s bonus.

* Changing shapes does not alter your current hit points, maximum hit points, or hit dice.

* You can change shapes once at 1st level, twice at 5th level, and thrice at 11th level. You regain all expended uses of this trait when you complete a long rest.

* If you have exhausted your uses of shapeshifting, you can revert back to hybrid form, but you cannot then change again into beast or human form.

* Kitsune turn into foxes, tanuki turn into tanuki (use the stats for raccoons), mujinas turn into badgers, bakeneko turn into cats, itachi turn into weasels, kawauso turn into otters, jorogumo turn into spiders.

No, because that's a tanuki thing; mujina are the more obscure badger-shifters.

But seriously, no, tanuki don't either, because this is Veeky Forums, not /d/.

Can the shove from shield master be used to knock someone prone?
Also where in the rulebook does it explain the rules fro shoving, pulling and knocking prone?

Clerics get power through prayer and worship
Warlocks sign a pact with something, which probably wants their soul you something like that. A warlock probably doesn't want to be interesting for the patron

You're far less likely to hear a cleric's goal being"I want to gain enough power to destroy my god because he's going to show up and take my soul sooner or later"

I asked at the end of last thread but I may as well ask again. Does anybody have a copy of Touch of Class from the kickstarter?

I'm running a one shot this week, and the players involved prefer role playing and exploration to combat. I need ideas for a role play heavy one shot. We've already done the oriental express. Some type of murder mystery maybe? Have any of you guys had any really successful sessions with relatively low combat?

If you roll for random encounters, how often do you do so? Once per hour in dangerous areas and once per day elsewhere, like the book says?

there's a couple wetbacks and some sort of dogkin, so I think we're still reaching that (((Diversity))) quota

Murder mystery,

>Can the shove from shield master be used to knock someone prone?
Yes. You will be explicitly told when you are only allowed to use shoving to push someone back/knock them prone (See: Waterborne Adventures UA, with the Minotaur's horn attacks)
>Also where in the rulebook does it explain the rules fro shoving, pulling and knocking prone?
P.195-196 for shoving.
P.190-191 for being prone.
P. 195 for forced movement for pulling. Look under grappling.

I'm creating my own setting and I'm wondering if it's worth it to scrap CP, SP, etc. and just have GP as a single, flat, standalone currency.

The immediate pro is that it saves a LOT of bookkeeping, prevents shopping trips from getting slowed down by currency exchanges, and allows players to much more easily detect at a glance how much wealth is in a certain amount of coins.

The immediate downside is that the lack of granularity in different currency types may cause some real fluctuations in relative price; if 1 GP is the cheapest anything can cost then everything that would be less than 1 GP undergoes a sharp increase in price—something that costs just 1 CP is suddenly 100 times more expensive. If gold is given out more liberally to accommodate, then everything else has to be scaled up in turn.

Any advice?

Go for CP as the basis.

You need to specify how long the transformation lasts. Even if there's no timer, you need to mention that.
Otherwise it's fine, especially since virtually no form will grant a stat improvement (not gorilla people pls).

Whichever way you go, rename the coins for extra immersion.
I hate to admit it, but J.K. Rowling did money right, even if she went overboard with the stupid conversion rates (which was a dig at British currency).

Imagine if you instead remove CP and GP, and call SP GP.

Or just stick with silver, which is a more reasonable economic marker for medieval settings anyway.
Or pull a Dragon Lance and make them steel coins.

We already have those silly, they're called africans

The party has been recruited by a paranoid noble to be his bodyguard during a fancy gala where he thinks he may be assassinated. The gala is political in nature to making sure it goes smoothly is of the utmost importance. Decorum must be maintained at all costs.

As the players keep watch on the noble and mingle with the upper class, perhaps a DIFFERENT noble is discovered dead and stuffed in a closet. So it's true that an assassin is afoot! The players must protect the noble from the assassin, discover who the assassin is, and apprehend the assassin, all without causing a scene at the gala. Failing to do so could cause an international incident, or even war, so the stakes are high.

Possible plot twist: the noble himself is behind the assassination, having hired a third party to kill the discovered dead person. The noble had a grudge against the dead person, but performed the fear of assassination himself to cover up his scheme. Why did the noble want that person dead? You decide!

Hah, no, pretty much all the animal choices are absolutely useless at anything combat related. 5e has its issues, but we're past the days of housecats taking down half a dozen commoners at once, aren't we?

Convert everything to copper.

Correct. Cats are 2 hp 1 damage, commoners are 4 hp 2 damage. The world has been made right.

Convert everything to seashells, pleb

>No, because that's a tanuki thing; mujina are the more obscure badger-shifters.

No, tanuki just have giant testicles.

Mujina actually pull their testicles under their ass, and then over their heads.

"Like the tanuki that inpsired them, Mujina have massive scrotums and what looks like a hood or cape is actually it's scrotum pulled through it's legs and draped over it's head."

...Seriously? I knew they were confused with tanuki fairly often, but I never heard of that part.

Most chinese cartoons are theoretically intended for children, so they may have left that part out.

Are there any homebrew Warlock patrons/pacts that are actually usable?

Posted in the last thread, but since you ask...

Going to be starting a campaign with a bunch of first time players in 2 weeks. Fairly certain I'm going to be dealing with at least 1 full caster, maybe two. Would it be worth it to try and print out little spell cards for them to hold onto?

My thought process is they could compose a deck to represent the spells they know, then pull out the spells the want to prep for the day and set the down somewhere they can easy see/reach for reference so they don't have to constantly flip through the PHB.

Worth the effort of formatting, printing, and cutting up/out said cards? Or fuck those guys?

Battlemaster or UA Knight?

What is that even from? I've seen it before

Should I play a fighter at all or make a heavy armor barbarian for extra shoving power from shieldmaster?

5e anons! Confirm just how incredibly overpowered this homebrew PC race is!

Kappa
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Strength, +1 Dexterity
Size: Small
Speed: 20 feet, Swim 50
Vision: Normal
Amphibious: You can breathe both water and air.
River Monster: You have a Swim speed of 50 feet.
Crushing Grip: You have Advantage on Strength (Athletics) checks made both to grapple a target and to keep a target grappled.

>Bonus to Str
>Advantage on grapple
A bit much if we're being honest with each other here, my respected family member

Damn dude. You spitting fire

...Yeah, unfortunately, I really drew a blank on these guys.

They're mostly knowing for being disproportionately strong, expert sumo wrestlers, and amphibious.

I'd love to redesign them, but I got no ideas for alternative stats or abilities.

Just modeled a demiplane-garden thingy for a player of mine. He told me he feels bad about the amount of work I do for the games just to see them fuck around for hours.
imgur.com/a/lXXs4
Car for scale only, they don't actually ride mustangs.
Always remember to check if you're posting in the right thread.

Someone made a Kek patron a few months back, I don't have the final version but here's the draft:
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/51382592/#51390645

Not very strong, with a 20 foot movement speed, and small size, along with a very specific type of advantage, that isn't useless, but also isn't astounding.

I'd say underpowered to the point that I'd never play one.

Proficiency in Athletics.

Unhelpful answer: kappas are monsters and shouldn't be played.
Helpful-yet-annoying answer: player races shouldn't get grappling bonuses because not all groups use grappling.
Just give them a strength bonus and maybe proficiency in athletics, and call it a day.
>+2 str, +1 dex
>can breath water
>speed: 25, swim 40
>size: small (3-4 feet)
>athletics proficiency

All hail the cube

Huh, thank you both; that actually looks a lot better. Maybe Advantage on Medicine checks too? If I recall, kappa were said to have taught humanity many forms of medicine as well as sumo wrestling, when they were feeling friendly.

Sure, why not? Medicine is pretty much ribbon-tier anyway.

Also recommending this, if it hasn't been done already. People will even make murder mystery parties by themselves (hide clues around the house, guests hunt them down). It's a little cliche but it's fun.

>Instant corpse destruction
>Invocation improving EB, despite the UA class-modifying guidelines warning against specifically this
>Non-situational advantage on saving throws
>Unarmored AC using two most important stats
Just because it's a humorous subclass doesn't mean it should be unbalanced.

Go for it. Pretty much this .

Woah, people posting my stuff! Cool!
Here's the full link to all of mine.

I'm the author, if you've got any questions - it's great to see people share stuff!

I'd have put this here in PDF but it's way too big.

drive.google.com/open?id=0B9p7DxYuE-3VQWRpNGQ0ckxLcTQ

Since /5eg/ seems to be feeling helpful, I thought I'd ask for some help with my hengeyokai stats.

This is one I did literally just this morning...

Jorogumo
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Charisma, +1 Intelligence
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet, Climb 30 feet
Vision: Darkvision 60 feet
Born Seductress: You have Proficiency in the Persuasion and Performance skills.
Spider Climb: You have a Climb speed of 30 feet and can climb difficult surfaces, such as upside down on a ceiling, without needing to make an ability check.
Silk Spinner: You can cast Web as a 2nd level spell with this trait. Once you have used this trait, you cannot use it again until you complete a long rest.
Can't Trick A Trickster: You have Advantage on Wisdom saving throws made against illusions.
Hengeyokai: Spider

Would you care to respond to the comments made by ? I love homebrewing when it's done correctly and critically.

Seems a bit much, honestly.

What/how to refluff something as a chef class?

Bard?

Oh? Why is that?

I am honestly interested in fixing my shit up to be less broken, but I will admit that I see Hengeyokai as a trait being... fairly situationally useful.

I don't want to make their racial traits revolve entirely around turning into a tiny little animal. Not every problem can be solved by turning into a fox, a cat, or a 4-inch-long spider.

Anons? Random question; do you think the Selkie could possibly be made into a viable PC race?

Murder(s) mystery in a village full of ghosts. Find out what the ghosts need help with, do their quests to ease their souls, explore a spooky ghost village full of spooky ghost houses, ghost kids and other such memorable spooks, deal with a poltergeist whether through a fight or through easing their burden that was holding them to the material plane, fight a wraith using environmental hazards like shafts of light through a dilapidated roof, find the big baddy who has been murdering and fight him, or don't.

Even if you ignore the spider transformation, you've got proficiency in 2 skills, a useful movement mode, darkvision, access to a 2nd-level spell, and a situational save advantage.
I.E. even without the great utility of transforming into a tiny creature, you're strictly better than the eladrin and many PHB races.

Yes. Now go do it.

Is it worth putting a level into Barbarian for my Battlemaster for the physical damage reduction in rage mode? Or will physical damage eventually just not be important or something? This is my first game of D&D and I'm only level 4 on my Battlemaster.

Also if I have heavy armor master, do I subtract the 3 points of damage before or after halving it from resistance?

Web needs a casting stat since it has a saving throw

>Born Seductress: You have Proficiency in the Persuasion and Performance skills.
Make it either persuasion or deception

Also climbing speed of 30 ft is too strong imo, I'd suggest you change it to: "you gain advantage on athletics and acrobatics checks used to climb"

Plus make web charisma based, you probably forgot that

Too strong, considering they get to turn into spiders n' shit
One of those features has to go, and I think it would be good if you delayed silk spinner to 3rd lvl as well.

As a Dex Rogue, is it worth multiclassing with Fighter and delaying your progression by a level in exchange for a fighting style, second wind and an extra HP?
Also super unsure whether I want an extra skill by starting as Rogue or the proficiencies + saving throws of Fighter. Going as Swashbuckler so TWF is nice.

Resistance is always applied last in damage calculations

Ah. I see. Hmm... any suggestions on how to fix the Jorogumo then? I thought the result was fairly myth-accurate and balanced, but I didn't realize it was so overpowered.

Of course, compared to 4e, racial balance is all over the place in this edition.

And Selkie could work? Alright, I'll try and put that together.

Thanks for the callout on Web needing a casting stat.

Hmm... Deception might work better. Hell, I only threw the "Performance Proficiency" in because they're so strongly associated with playing the Biwa - that Cha/Int bonus makes them work good as Bards anyway, so that cares for itself.

I'm thinking get rid of Can't Trick a Trickster, downgrading Spider Climb, and making Silk Spinner a "hit level 3 first to access" trait. Will that help?
Any anons here remember Scro? These were a sort of vaguely Nazi-esque uber-Orcs from Spelljammer. I was wondering if these stats for a hypothetical 5e version are balanced?

Scro
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Strength, +1 Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Darkvision 60 feet
Languages: You are capable of speaking, reading and writing Orcish (or the Scro dialect, if your DM makes a distinction), Elvish and Common.
Powerful Build: You are treated as one size category larger for purposes of determining your capacity to lift, push, pull, drag and carry.
Relentless Endurance: When you are reduced to 0 hitpoints, but not killed outright, you can drop to 1 hitpoint instead. You can't use this feature again until you complete a long rest.
Will of Iron: You have Advantage on Wisdom saving throws against Charm and Fear effects.