1V1 Commander is Dumb Edition

>Commander 2017 Spoilers
mythicspoiler.com/c17/index.html

>Latest Commander Ban Announcement
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18588

>Latest MTGO Banlist Update
wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/160343614814/update-mtgo-commander

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread Question
For what reason do you hate Sheldon the most?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/13077300
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

UNBAN BRAIDS AND LEOVOLD
fuck you Sheldon

I dont.

I realize literally any banlist will have complaints. No matter what, someone somewhere will be unhappy.

>Thread question
His banlist is miles better than the one Wizards managed to shit out

I dislike how he judges what should be on the list by what his play group does. Also how he thinks they'd need to add a bunch of things to the list if they brought back banned as commander.

He's super casual and the "EDH guy", which bothers me. He makes his decks shittier to make good cards less powerful, like upping basics in Karador for Hermit Druid and they use the horrifying gis mulligan, which is awful. As a judge he doesn't seem to be serious enough in my opinion.

His personality honestly.

Oh boy another banlist thread

>this is good enough to be banned
>not mana leak
>not imperial seal
>not zur

>6 mana 6/6 that gives you tapped lands

for why?

>Sheldon
Honestly don't at all. EDH is primarily casual and it's good to have a casual-oriented banlist. It's far from perfect, obviously, but there's no ideal banlist for such a wide format.

Best sac outlets in green? Already have Birthing Pod and Ashnod's

Asked last thread, got no responses. I want to make a Dune-Brood colored deck and Saskia has been underwhelming. What would the best partner deck in the colors be?

>mana leak
did you mean drain
>imperial seal
not vamp tutor though, that one is fine it can stay

mana drain*

I'm inclined to say Ravos and Tana, but Sidar Kondo and Vial Smasher could also be worth it.

Phyrexian Altar obviously.

Phyrexian Altar, Greater Good, Perilous Forays, Altar of Dementia, High Market, Miren the Moaning Well if you're generating tons of Saprolings then Utopia Mycon, Psycothrope Thallid and Thallid Germinator

His banlist is bad and doesnt have the excuse of being brand new to hide behind.

I think the banlist is generally fine, assuming you play with a good group that prioritizes fun over winning at all costs

however, LGS EDH can get serious,
and the limited scope of the banlist causes decks to become degenerate

>For what reason do you hate Sheldon the most?
He thinks people will make bad decks with cards like Mana crypt, Sol ring and Mana drain.

>opponent draws out whole deck
>forces you to over draw and die
this is banned why?

>up to four cards

Combining the banned as commander and banned decklist.

Do I build it? Suggestions?

this is my only gripe with the guy. the banlist is mostly fine with only a few exceptions.

even then it's not that bad
>3 mana draw 4
what did the ban list people just play with retards

cause retards like you cant rtfc

yes

>four player game
>two players draw their entire library

i think the problem is that it turns a 4-way free-for-all into a 1v1 game for 3 mana

the problem is that two people drew between 40-70 cards and then the game was over for any other player.

I want to see it so yeah build it. Also don't forget cryptolith rite, furystoke giant and maybe Arlinn Kord, abusing her ult seems cool but might be too slow.

Lol politics XDXDXDXD

because it's more liable to ruin casual edh than any of those cards

stuff like food chain or doomsday don't really ruin casual metas because you have to be a tryhard to even put them in your decks.

however, primeval titan seems like a typical casual EDH fatty, except he also gives you a massive tempo swing and tutors all kinds of crazy lands. it's very easy for a game to get warped because someone drops the guy

in essence, it's the like a choice between giving a toddler nuclear access codes or a knife. chances are, it's not going to know how to use the nuclear access codes so it's probably safer to give him those instead of the knife

is baral any good in multiplayer?

Yeah 3 mana remove two players from the game is "lol politics xD"

>tfw ulted Arlinn Kord with Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet out

That's on them for being tards.

Give me your best Feldon lists.

They'd have to willingly kill themselves.

>being this retarded
Fuck off. If you want to play with Mana Crypt and Sol Ring you're a literal mouthbreather

>people are to stupid to ban cards in house rules if they want to play casual
>hurrr the rules should do it for us
you commie

bet you are fun to play with
>"NOT COUNTERSPELLLL IT SHOULD BE BANNEDDDDD"
>pic related

>Trying to impose your house rules on multiple playgroups
I'm not building custom decks for different house rules

I run crypt, ring, vault and monolith in most of my decks, and probably will 'till they're all banned.

I'd just rather have a fair banned list, not some meme list thrown together by a middle aged balding man who thinks Protean Hulk is fair since you can choose to tutor for bad cards instead of a win.

but thats what im trying to say

when you are getting into edh, odds are youre going to play cards exactly like primeval titan when youre starting out.

when you start breaking the format, you'll realize that there are a ton of cards to abuse but at that point your group should be experienced enough to houseban those cards.

i think sheldon is pretty much a dumbo but i mostly agree with him mostly banning cards for casual edh. it's critical that newbies have a good time and don't have their groups devolve into sylvan primordial retardation (even though that card doesn't see action in real tryhard decks).

i do think he should ban the silliest fast mana cards, but that's about it.

No? The ones who are removed are the ones who don't have their entire deck in their hand

>going to multiple play groups
do you let other people sleep with your wife too?

>implying
That's a lot of baseless assumptions there buddy

UPDATES TO THE BANNED LIST
>Sol Ring
>Mana Crypt
>Mana Vault
>Ancient Tomb
>Gaea's Cradle
>Grim Monolith
>Food Chain
>Protean Hulk
>Ad Nauseam
>Doomsday
FORMAT

SAVED

Because it's not basic lands, it's any lands.

no
>mana drain
>every tutor

Particularely broken tutors like Evolving Wilds and Rampant Growth.

>any of those being banworthy
You ok user?

Don't get me started on Panoramas

yes the game should have no way to tutor
if you want cards reliably besides your commander go play a 60 card format

Nothing compared to the terror that is basic landcycling

What kind of mulligan do you use, /edhg/?

Remove Protean Hulk from that and you have a deal.

>Grim Monolith
>but no Basalt Monolith
almost had it

I nearly agree. Why the fuck would you ban Ancient Tomb?

Protean Hulk has had a surprisingly small impact on my meta.

It gave the boonweaver deck a second boonweaver, and it's pretty gross in Meren, but otherwise it just doesn't fit in too many decks.

Bought 3 foil protean hulks when they announced the unban at $8 each, traded them away at $80. Still got one left.

I say we just ban everything that taps for 3 or more mana.

My playgroup actually tried something new this week, and it felt amazing. Draw 10, then shuffle 3 back into your library. and your Mulligans you just draw one less and still shuffle 3 into your library.

Honestly, my group lets people mulligan as many times as necessary with no penalties, but within reason.

But my Somberwald Sage

I don't have a playgroup, I suffer at my LGS. The house rule there is a free mulligan then scry 2 when you decide to keep.

>Banning Ancient Tomb/Gaea's
you are a dumb-dumb

No, user. I just banned every other meme combo out there. Do you want the tryhard meta to devolve into flash hulk and Karador Hulk bullshit?

Grim Monolith is almost objectively better compared to Basalt.

Do you own an Ancient Tomb? It's fast mana that goes in every single deck, no contest.

>you can ban every fast mana and combo piece that I don't use
it's all or nothin bud

No rules set in stone but mostly first mull is back to 7 and then normally.

Sounds pretty cool.

>It's fast man
and it comes with a cost. You playgroup should recognize that and puinish the Tomb user for Shocking them self each tap

Gaea's is also a dead land post wipe that is dependent on the most vulnerable of card types to ramp

Oh okay. I didn't see your long-term plan there. Carry on.

okay mtg. vote on it then
strawpoll.me/13077300
should sol ring be banned?

I didn't say I agreed with the other ones, those two were the most egregious since they have very obvious drawbacks

>Sounds cool

It really was. it's pretty hard to be mana screwed when you draw 10 and you can shuffle your late-game plays in.

user, you're a fucking retard if you consider pinging yourself for 2 a drawback.

Well it is. it being a drawback is an undeniable truth in most dick

What you meant to say is ''it's not a big drawback.

Your playgroup must have Down Syndrome if they can't understand proper assessment of board-states

>if you want to play with good cards you're a literal mouth breather

>A-ancient tomb is fair because your opponents can focus you!
>S-Sol Ring is perfectly fine because it makes you a threat!
>Tolarian Academy is perfectly fair, everyone will just target the person who plays it!

Sweet Quints matey

>braids
im down for a lil braids action
>leovold
fuck you

>For what reason do you hate Sheldon the most?
removing "banned as commander"

Huh... Sounds neat.

>I'm going to stawman by conflating Sol Ring and Ancient Tomb with the most broken land in the game because I don't have a better argument
typical frogposter

I can imagine it activates decks faster, yeah. Not something I'd want with my usual playgroup since they're all hilariously jacked but there's some kids at the LGS who I sometimes play a bit more lowpower and casual games and could certainly use that rule there.

This is very very close to being right

>Gaea's
What are you? Fucking retarded?

Different user here, what fucking deck utilizing slow direct damage competes with decks utilizing the entire fast mana and tutor package we're discussing?

Go on I'll wait.

It does activates fast deck, but it works better than partial power-level wise,

>b-but no sol ring
>b-but no fast mana
>huuuur nothing in the game should be a threat every card in the game should be a 2 mana 2/2
sounds like you are in the wrong format if you want it to be bland and have nothing crazy happen
people like you ruin commander

Deal out two hands and pick one of them, then shuffle the other back. If you can't take either, shuffle them both and deal a third hand.

Too strong.

Guys if we ban the problem fast Mana rocks braids can come back

I desperately want both of these things to happen

Nani?
We aren't discussing tutor packages and slow vs fast. We're discussing how Ancient Tomb isn't worth banning.

again, depends on the powerlevel of the meta.

>thread question
They honestly seem to ban or consider banning things based solely on their own personal playgroup and not take into account the entire EDH community.
A good number of cards don't get banned that should (most likely because someone in their playgroup has a deck with the associated combo in it and doesn't want it banned), while there are other cards that get banned that don't really seem like there's a good argument for banning them other than their playgroup got annoyed at playing against them in decks not in their group or something.
Plus, they removed "banned as commander but allowed in 99"; and they only take their personal feelings and the very few people that post in their forums when considering bannings, rather than any kind of large scale polling or assessment or anything.
tl;dr circlejerking jerks that ban or don't ban based on their personal feelings rather than based on whether it would be good for the format as a whole

>99 card singleton
>except some of these cards are so far ahead in powerlevel that when you draw them you win
Cool format, I would love to play fucking rock paper scissors with four people stretched across 15 minutes.

>Haha, guys, check out this quirky play!
>Turn 1 Mana Crypt, Island, windfall
>Haha, looks like I win!
Fucking retard

The cards that enable turn 3 combos or that give a massive random benefit for having one in your opening hand does not help the format be crazy, just unbalanced

I don't think any of those should be banned. I think you need to git gud, and realize that it's not the end of the world to lose a game to a lucky t1 sol ring, because that is what playing multiple rounds a night is for.