Early Edition

>Commander 2017 Spoilers
mythicspoiler.com/c17/index.html

>Latest Commander Ban Announcement
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18588

>Latest MTGO Banlist Update
wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/160343614814/update-mtgo-commander

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread Question
Tell us about your first EDH deck, and your first group. Were you tossed to the dogs, or were you quickly the top target when you swapped cards out of your precon?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/14-09-16-mizzix/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/24-05-17-relentless-rats/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for #FreeBraids

What are the best anthems for Bant Tokens? I'm mostly looking for evasion and making things big.

Fuck Sheldon.

Eldrazi Monument

>Order "NM" cards from Troll and Toad
>They send me this shit
>Open a case again for the 5th time for a refund
>Will eventually turn into a full refund + free cards again

Why can't they get their shit together?

odric 2.0

As someone who fills orders for an online store I can tell you that condition is the hardest part of the job. Now, looking at your photos, there's no way I'd rate the left Scion as NM, it's clearly low LP, maybe high MP depending on some other factors (can't see the back, can't see all the top edge, etc). The right Scion may actually be NM or high LP, since I can't see it entirely and other than the white mark on the upper left, which could be dirt or something that can be removed safely it isn't bad looking. The border wear is annoying, but that could be camera angle and NM allows a little border wear (not much, but a little). Probably would safely call it LP though.

As far as them doing it five times, that's just crappy. Go buy somewhere else if they aren't getting you what you want, which they clearly aren't. T&T clearly isn't doing it for you, why do you keep shopping from them? TCGPlayer has lots of good stores for you to buy from.

Would you?

I run nothing but oddball jank decks. What's some goodstuff I can try, that isn't too boring? I run Gruul Wort, Saskia Punisher/Group Slug, and Red Zurgo Voltron / Hyperaggro. I'm just looking for a deck I can sit back and chill with, and I need a break from forcing the special snowflake mold.

Given that a lot of that rules text is not tied to the mana ability of the land, no, no I would not. Format the text box correctly and get back to me. 6/10 you tried.

How strong is stax, exactly? My meta has reached Karador-Boonweaver level, but not Teferi-Stax levels of dumb. I just need to know if stax won't break the collective back of my group.

Stax can be played at any level. You can build Stax casual, 75% or top cutthroat. The reason for this is that it's really just the form of control that works on multiple opponents.

The worst I ever got was a copy of Intet the Dreamer rated at Near Mint that had multiple creases. Even a crappy phone photo sent to a person that doesn't collect cards could see it right away.

My guess is just rapid packaging makes them miss appraisals. As long as I get a refund I don't mind.

What are some spicy cards for Jarad?

I really like Trailblazer's Boots. People seem to underestimate it because it dosn't also have protction or haste like greaves, swiftfoot, and whispersilk do. That being said people sometimes seem to forget that in commander you need to actually get damage through, and so having nonbasic landwalk is almost always going to do that for you. I recommend it for decks that needs multiple ways to get damage through that don't have access to trample.

On a slightly related note I recently put a pait into my Noyan Dar deck, and I am excited at the prospect of one day animating a nonbasic land, and then giving it nonbasic landwalk.

my playgroup okayed nephilim as commanders, and i'm thinking i want to make an ink-treader deck, but it seems a little... strong. i don't want to be that guy who takes an unofficial ruling and abuses it to win every game, so i'm worried about the deck being too powerful.

should i do it?

Do they come in Snow Covered?

They okayed it, so let them see what it is capable of. If it ends up going bad, remove the problem cards.

Ebay, not really looking at the stores too much but instead what the lowest price is.

Anyway I would have expected them to ship NM cards when they state NM. I've gotten cards in far better condition from new sellers than from them.
Hell they don't even ship their cards in top loaders.

Also, do you have a deck link?

Not sure if you only want actual permanent based anthem effects, but if you don't care about making any friends Triumph of the Hordes does work. Aside from that my go-to anthem effects are Eldrazi Monument, Beastmaster Ascension, Cathar's Crusade, Akroma's Memorial, and Elesh Norn.

No, the deck is cancer. Cantrips into Omniscience, Doubling Season, OG Tamiyo ult, Obstinate Familiar every single game. I know from experience.

And trust me, I deeefinitely didn't tell you the main combo of the deck to inspire you to crush your friends hopes and dreams...like, at all...

>Hell they don't even ship their cards in top loaders.
Now that's fucking irresponsible. I'm a small little store on TCGplayer and I use the fuck out of toploaders. Disappointing, I'd expect better from T&T.

You want to take it a step further?

Sometimes they don't ship their cards in sleeves

Ok, I can't actually believe that. Troll and Toad got where they are by being at least decent. I cannot legitimately believe they wouldn't use fucking sleeves to ship their cards. No toploaders, maybe, but no sleeves? That stretches my disbelief a little far.

i was thinking i'd just win through combat damage. make it a token deck with stuff like silverfur partisan and monastery mentor. nivmagus elemental can also get huge and turn swords to plowshares and other targeted removal into a one-sided board wipe. there's also always the 3-mana insurrection option with act of treason.

see for yourself user, order cards from T&T on ebay

i dare you

Yeah, you should. A buddy made and ran the deck for like a year and it was awesome. He drew lots of cards and used Act of Treason effects to Insurrection every turn until we died. He also had a little bit of a token sub-theme to buff the team with. It was quite fun and was enjoyable to play against, though HIGHLY general focused.

Nah, I don't actually use eBay due to shit being awful on eBay. But wow that sounds fucking terrible. Go buy from someone, anyone, else.

Spent five minutes arguing with an opponent telling them they won the game because of True Conviction.

How the fuck do you deal with players who can't into combat damage?

So, what, they killed everyone with damage then thought they won with something else, like mill? Are they actual autists or something? Also, related question, does no one in your playgroup run fogs?

Any cards that need to go into Mizzix that I could be forgetting?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/14-09-16-mizzix/

Why was Sol Ring printed in C11 in the first place?

But sol ring was printed way before C11

merchant scroll

Gamble if you like living on the edge

Why was it reprinted, ya dingus?

I've thought about gamble. I think it's just not for me. I'll keep considering it though.

It's pretty solid in my Melek deck. Gamble for Past In Flames usually leads to a win, or at least draws me 20+ cards in a turn.

Fair point

True. Do you have the list for your melek deck so I can check it out. I used to play him, but I found Mizzix to be a bit more my style. What do you prefer about Melek?

I don't have my list online anywhere, but the reason I prefer Melek is that he tends to be more explosive. I could've spent the first few turns doing absolutely nothing besides drop a few mana rocks, but if I can drop Melek and then untap with him in play, there's a pretty solid chance I storm out on the spot. You can run more rituals like Seething Song and a double or triple High Tide off the top usually ends games. I ended up taking all of the extra turn stuff out because I wanted to keep it all confined to a single turn to keep storm count high.

They kept insisting it wasn't enough damage. I just wanted to get to the next game.

Also yes, they do. I actually run Darkness, Fog and Holy Day just cause.

Table let me resolve Confusion in the Ranks and Possibility Storm. They had only themselves to blame for the salt.

>They kept insisting it wasn't enough damage.
Do they not math? Math is pretty easy, even with double strike involved (literally just X*2).

>I actually run Darkness, Fog and Holy Day just cause.
Have you considered Comeuppance? Great little "go fuck yourself" spell. Also hits non-combat damage, for that "fuck you, Comet Storm" feeling.

Because I can't play my 8+ cmc commander any other way ya arsehole

so is the commander anthology worth to buy?

Because wizards really did want to make a solid product. If you were making a deck, you put Sol ring in, and they decided to make reasonably good decks instead of trash for the first set of commander decks.

Keep in mind that the environment the format was in was a vastly different environment, at the time the biggest generals around were arcum and zur, so Sol ring usually meant if you lucked into it early you hard cast your Krosan Tusker instead of cycling it (card quality has gone up a lot since then, krosan Tusker was once nearly an auto include, now it's unplayable)

Take a look at when every tier 1 (heck even tier 2) general was printed, and it will be a lot easier to see why fast mana like Sol ring was so much more acceptable. These kinds of early wins just weren't happening, and the cards just let you cast your general after commander tax bumped it up to 12 mana.

>It's everyone else's fault that I'm an asshole.

And don't forget, at the time, Rafiq was the fast kill commander.

and Sharuum was the best combo commander

Mmf, good times.

Probably Deserted Temple

So I tried the gatherer, but I really don't know what keywords to use for cards that force my opponent's to pick on not-me, or at least reward them. I'm already looking at Ludevic and Goad in general, but I feel like I'm missing a lot of stuff. Pic related is my commander. Keywords and / or specific cards would be appreciated.

You want some Will of the Council cards.

You're my favorite

I don't know what kind of Marchessa deck you're trying to build where you don't want to be off the throne, but there are a lot of cards that work really well with her.

Treasonous Ogre
Unspeakable Symbol
Sage of Fables
Drana, Liberator of Malakir
River Kelpie
Yahenni

And if you want to spend some money there's

Scourge of the Throne
Glen Elandra Archmage
Toxic Deluge
Umezawa's Jitte

>turn 1 drop mountain
>everyone else plays a land and Sol Ring
>turn 2 land, Desperate Ritual, Shattering Spree replicated twice
>heartbreaks were had
>drop my Sol Ring the turn after and it gets destroyed in few turns

You know, when you say it like that, it does sound pretty stupid. The initial idea was to make a multiplayer deck that is offensively oriented but also prevents me from taking the aggro I so rightfully deserve.

Thank you for the advice though! I'm going to go look into those

I didn't mean to tell you how to make your deck, you should make something that you enjoy playing even if it might not be the most competitively viable. Ultimately it depends on your preference and how competitive your playgroup is, those suggestions were just tech that someone in my playgroup who has a Marchessa aggro deck uses to great effect.

One of the most important things you should do is make sure stuff that you pay life for isn't in the deck.

This shit Is great for a conventional marchesa deck, but if you get no value from your general because people didn't hit you? That's a strong motivator in it's own right.

I don't mind at all, I appreciate the criticism. I'm going to consider other possible commanders for the theme while I look at cards. I was already considering Ludevic and Vial Smasher in the deck in case I felt like mixing things up.

Just to clarify, are you saying mechanics that motivate people not to target me will actually make them want to pick on me when they can, so I probably won't need to worry about lowering my own life? I mean, obviously this stuff is kind of dependent on play group, but something to that effect had crossed my mind.

Now thats a play I could get behind.

It was against Atraxa and Selesnya and I was mono-red with a six turn set up. No way.

Leonin War banner

>Just to clarify, are you saying mechanics that motivate people not to target me will actually make them want to pick on me when they can, so I probably won't need to worry about lowering my own life?

No, what I mean is people naturally don't want to lower your life and get you off the throne. If you have a treasonous ogre out or something, that desire to not attack you vanishes completely, since you can simply lower your life whenever you like.

Typically though I just wanna be attacked when I play marchesa. If you wanna do pillow fort grixis marchesa though, your lines of play need to change.

No, it's not hard. And any respectable online retailer has a grading guide.

>mint: no fucking damage whatsoever
>nm: a little nick or two, nothing more
>exc: some tearing on the edges
>good: card slowly becomes Michael Jackson - black fades into white
>lp: basically good + more nicks and a surface dink or scratch or two
>hp: looks like some dumbass scraped it on pavement

You have no idea what you are talking about.

I had failure to perform, tonight.

IDH, Impotent Dragon Highlander.

Limp deck.

zada tech?

>Troll and Toad
Shit user, I learned way back in my yugioh days not to ever order from that god forsaken company again and you did it at least 5?

You have a reason to want to shoot all of your own creatures?

Fucking this. I don't order from anywhere that isn't TCGPlayer now because almost everywhere else sucks dicks and you can always get the best prices on TCG anyway.

There are reasons, but I don't know what he's going on about with that one.

Oh, wait, no, I see. It's copied for every one of your creatures. So if you have four gobbos and Zada down and you discard, say, five cards, you do five damage to five target creatures or players five times.

Could be good.

I'm guessing he's seen it in some Zada decks which try and play off the "draw a million cards from zada" then shoot people in the head with discards of 30+

But that takes a decent amount of setup.

Zada only duplicates spells which target only zada.

Duh...you're right. Sorry, I've been actually sorting my red cards all right to work on my Zada deck and my brain's gone soft.

has to only target zada tho

It's fine, I thought the same thing at first then went.... ohhhhhhh

But you can still headshot people, I find it a bit too wonky though.

Troll and Toad is the only place I could find gold bordered basics. It took them a month and a half to ship to me. Fuck that shit. And yeah they weren't sleeved either

Is there a way to build Breya and have more combos than cards (excluding basic lands)?

Not without a different definition of cards than I have.

Ok excluding only basic lands was a bit too far, how about more combos than nonland cards?

>tfw exclusively buy NM cards from Star City Games

Fucking Jewzards of the Coast this game is so expensive reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Combo requires multiple cards.

Cards equal cards.

how's this for a sakashima manabase?

Assuming you're not looking to spend money it seems fine.

Combo pieces are often shared between multiple combos, you know

>Sakashima.dek
>No Vesuva
>No Mirrorpool

I'm afraid you're going to have to hand in your license. The one with the mirror on it, yes.

So I assume you mean to have two Marit Lages?

What should I build next, Grenzo goblin tokens/theft swarms, or Wort the Raidmother copy/chaos with a side of burn?

Im making a fairly casual Relentless Rats Marrow Gnawer deck for the mid tier of my multiplayer playgroup.

How worth while are cards like the Caged Sun and gauntlet of power that both double mana and give an anthem?

Any other good synergies I can throw into this?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/24-05-17-relentless-rats/

I know I could use a board wipe or three and some way of dealing with artifacts and enchantments but that is about all.

Now that Dragons is practically confirmed what do you hope the other 3 tribes in the precons will be?

I'm hoping for Soldier/Knight Tribal most. I'd also like to see treefolk and ooze

>Tell us about your first EDH deck, and your first group. Were you tossed to the dogs, or were you quickly the top target when you swapped cards out of your precon?
Didn't start with a precon, started with Kruphix hydra tribal and I just can't bring myself to take it apart. At least it's versatile.

Grave pact, Dictate of erebos, etc.

Illusionist's bracers or Rings of Brighteart if you have the dosh

BW Spirits, WBG Elves, BRG Goblins

>he doesn't run Shattergang Shenanigans

They don't support gobbo tribal very well, they're only good for stax or for their colors, actually apart from Krenko we don't have any good gobbo commander that can support a gobbo tribal deck