media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-RevisedSubclasses.pdf

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Long ago, in the Before Times:
Eldritch knight, paladin, bladesinger, stone sorcerer, hexblade. How many more gishes does WoTC plan to make?

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheWildWest
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Enough until they finally get it right. I personally think they have with the Hexblade, Stone-sorc and Paladin. Other gishes need not apply.

Gishes are overrated, most people who want to play them just want to be able to do everything with no downside.

wtf is a gish

Somebody that uses an equal blend of magic and martial. Usually someone melee that focuses on self-buffs, slight blasting and enemy debuffs, and in a well balanced setting they don't over-reach either discipline.

Hexblade is what Bladelock should have been, just like how Raven Queen is how Chainlock should be, each Patron granting an unique, developed feature instead of having 3 generic features for every subclass (like how Seeker grants an entire boon).

I only see this happen with Druid's Wild Shape (which wasn't developed on any UA subclasses) and Warlock having 3 boons that doesn't seem that great or unique (Blade requires feats/invocations, chain is find familiar buffed, tome is ritual warlock).

Hey, all.

Gonna DM for a group here, soon, 3 new players, 1 person familiar with PF, and someone else, like, ok at 5e? They've played before, but it's all been homemade stuff, so who knows what their actual understanding is.

I was curious what a good module to run would be, and what setting to go for. Forgotten Realms feels pretty pushed, so I'll probably go for that. So far it looks like a Paladin, Warlock, Rogue, Bard, and something else. Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Probably run Phandelver.

I'd stay away from Dragon Queen (or start on chapter 2 instead of starting in Greenest), I really disliked that 1st chapter.

Your Warlock player may feel really limited with the class if he expect more from it than just spamming a cantrip. Considering you're heavy on casters, maybe use spell points instead(DMG variant rule), if everyone agrees.

I'll check them out. I don't think the caster thing will be an issue, since they're all going to be super lost except for the rogue and whoever our last person picks. I'll check out the spell point idea, though. I'm nervous about the bard. I think he actually plays guitar and is going to try to sing. I really don't want to commit murder suicide.

You don't need to run modules or settings if you don't want.
Contrary to the endless autistic shrieking of Veeky Forums, which should never be taken as fact or even rational thought, FR isn't bad any more then vanilla ice cream is bad, it's just very basic as a setting in terms of what you're getting.
It's actually rather heavy on minutia in the lore for it (you can actually go look up the special words Faerunians use for certain kinds of food, since Ed Greenwood is a huge nerd for shit like that), but otherwise it kind of is one of things that set the "standard" for D&D, especially in this edition where all the lore info in the M&M is basically FR-specific in a lot of cases.

But don't feel pressured to use it if you don't have to; just take the rules of the game and run with the ball yourself if that's the ideal.

Open communication hombre, you run the show. If he's playing guitar like a spazz say you'd like to keep things rolling along instead of hearing him play a song every time he inspires. I'd say roll Vanilla warlock up until you hear problems from the player about the playstyle. As long as you adhere to the general combat rules of 2 shorts and a long with the proper amount of encounters between they'll be fine. My group houserules that Warlocks start with 1 additional spellslot, and then add another when it gets appropriate. One extra cast really does feel great compared to the 2 spell-slots you get for eternity

Casters are definitely powerful in this edition, but in actual practice and not silly internet theorcrafting you need some guys who aren't full casters hitting stuff and doing non-hitting tasks.

What he said, I'm the one you replied to. Currently playing Warlock atm, imo it's easy to find it unidimensional early, specially with other casters being able to change and cast their spells way more often.

I didn't bring spell points to our DM, though, as our that guy sorcerer was booted, so now I can shine on combat/utility spellcasting alone. But it's good to know there's a fix if the player isn't enjoying it.

Buddy I love vanilla icecream.

And even then most people don't realize they got it right the first time with Cleric. You don't actually need a god to use the class.

Murder suicide would be soooo much easier than trying to talk reason with someone that's gonna be a spazz to begin with. I hear what you're saying, though.

Honestly with how they did spellslots, I'm surprised they didn't double down and just do spellpoints to begin with. That's pretty much what spell slots are, just a weird twist on mana to stay adhered to their sacred cow.

It depends on what you want to do. Forgotten Realms is fine because it offers pretty much any scenario you could think of.

I personally prefer homebrews, gives the players something new to explore that they never heard of.

A problem with modules is that a player may have played it before, or have some sort of knowledge about it anyways. I prefer to use modules for inspiration, and maybe maps.

I believe FR gets the hate because how WotC is alienating the edition by not releasing another setting.
FR totally works on its own, but I understand people wanting to see the other settings.

Warlock is an odd bird in that sense. They really pulled their punches in the wrong areas. With proper rests they are extremely effective in that they can cast high level spells without care because they regain that shit easy. However they fucked up by allowing most of their good features at level 1-2 so theres that.

I love warlocks though, and the UA really fixed a ton of issues they had both in flavor and options. Hexblade is the best feeling gish in the game imo.

What the fuck has been happening I the 5egs? What the actual fuck?

Diversity.

Whoevers creating the threads is being a fucktard by posting "triggering" OP's

read the rules faggot

Spell points would make casters too strong.
Using the one in the DMG (which gives the exact value of slots as points) it's possible to spend the 49 points of the higher level spells combined at 20th.

You'd still be able to cast 12 5th level spells before you run out of mana.
It gives way too much versatility vs limiting most spells by 3-4 uses/day.

Plus I can see as a design choice to go with slot levels as it seems easier for newbies to understand how to cast it and how points still needs the slot level to explain you can't cast a 3 point spell even if you have 4 points.

>posts a tribal nigger woman with a spear
who gets triggered by this
>black, strong female, who lives in a mudhuts
I mean, even as an open racist it gets the thumbs up from me

You can play a gish perfectly well with multiclassing. AND you aren't amazing at everything, but you still do fairly well in many respects.
My sorcerer/rogue is a blast to play.
He has so many options on any turn as for what to do with his bonus action.

You people are easily riled up by showing non-white adventurers in the OP, so enterprising anons, finding this immensely amusing, have been posting black people in the OP images.

The best part of it all is that you keep rising to the bait!

>strong female
how fucking dare you assume its gender.
do you know what year it is?

My bad, I thought this was the 5e thread not pfg
wait

Someone needs to scoop Diversity OP by starting the next thread with an anime girl.

>tfw you crit on a 19 and dump 12d8 into a bosses asshole with a cursebringer smite
Hexblade is so fucking good.

>treating a d8 fullcaster without extra attack as a gish
>walking into melee as the only person with mass healing
>even carrying a melee weapon at all
Gives me cancer every time.
That sounds like Bard. Playing a gish in 5e just means playing a regular character since almost every class uses spells, and the ones that don't are kinda gimped because of it.

Hey I ran my pvp game.
It was really fun.

The guy who started off feeling like he was fucked with his odds turned out to be the winner.
Ain't that always the way?

>full plate
>extra magical damage on your weapon attack
>spiritual weapon

They're pretty good gishes, desu famalam.

What as opposed to Hexblade's d8 with only medium armor or Stone Sorc and Bladesinger's d6? And who even needs extra attacks when you can just add +10 to your GWM rolls.

Need some additional backup plans for killing a vampire.

>Field of combat: open field, late in the (cloudy) day/night. No hills nearby, no cover. Not the vampire's lair, but it has one within range should it Mist.
>Party members: Transmuter Wizard, Moon Druid, Rogue/Warlock, Fighter, Fighter, [Random Newbie Probably] All level 5/6
>Enemy: 1 vampire, up to 5 vampire spawn (all likely to be damaged following another fight)
>Allies: Small army, willing to assist
>Main Plan: Moon Druid rains Moonbeam on Vampire, goes Giant Constrictor and grapples, Wizard rains Moonbeam on Vampire, party supports with damage and dealing with the spawn as appropriate (Moonbeam prevents Misty Escape)
>Backup Plan: While Vampire is grappled, Rogue/Warlock forces it to drink a cure for vampirism we picked up, then we kill it normally

There's a lot that could wrong, so I'm trying to come up with counterplans and backup plans. Any ideas are welcome except running away, this is a do-or-die and we don't mind which outcome we get.

>drink a cure for vampirism we picked up, then we kill it normally

So you're becoming the monsters, I see

>that Disney Necklace

fucking hidden mickeys even here now?

Stop talking about yourself in the third person faggot

Becoming? This is all in the name of wiping out two more vampires and taking over their land and criminal empire.

>>treating a d8 fullcaster without extra attack as a gish
>>walking into melee as the only person with mass healing
>>even carrying a melee weapon at all
Wading into combat with Spiritual Weapon and Spirit Guardians, smacking bitches with your weapon of choice+divine strike.

i'm going to run a Wild West gunslinger series in a few months and am about to start working on some homebrew shit for it. any advice?

i'd just as soon run Deadlands or something else but 5e is the only thing they're comfortable with and i like making shit up.

Oh so you're already evil

Hand to God, it's been weeks, maybe even months, since I made a general.

How do guys handle party members claiming another member is OP as a DM?
Recently I've had two of my players come to me claiming another player is OP... but no concrete reasons why. I think it is just theorycrafting, as the poor play gets manhandled every session

somehow acquire a Decanter of Endless Water, then just shoot it at the vampire while he's constricted.

What are you asking for? Classes? NPCs? Settings?

Refluff existing stats for weapons, tack feats and spells onto items directly.
>Sharpshooters Long Rifle
Can't turn it off, but that's fine, they can always carry their normal guns too.

More like Neutral. Different characters have different reasons. My character is evil, but he's persuaded the (good and neutral) others to help because the vampires do pose a threat.

Unfortunately we're locked in at this point, no opportunity to get more supplies.

Trains and shit instead of boats
Slow-ass rustic air balloons instead of air-ships
Horses are a must, of course

Think about what kinda native savages run the wilderness. The easiest thing to do is reflavor orcs as injuns and half-orcs as the spawn they breed when they steal away more civilized races women and force them to birth their children.

How dusty is your wild-west gonna be? Air elementals and shit can cause quite a stir.

Develop the question, dude, what are they playing?

anything at all. i have a basic idea of the classes i want, though i've literally just started the preliminary.

>Brave (stealth and melee)
>Cardsharp (talkan and cheatan)
>Drifter (survival and double-guns)
>Regulator (Paladin-lite and long guns)
>Shootist (quickdraw and marksman)
>Medicine Man (healing and spirits)

I mean, are they trivializing encounters and making the rest of the group effectiveness bystanders when it comes to encounters/combat?
If so, that can be a problem, yes.
Are they just hard to kill? PCs are pretty durable in 5e, especially once you hit mid-late levels. Even if you die, it gets pretty easy to just bring them back.

If they just have the "potential" to be very strong or "broken" but don't do the first thing I mentioned, then tell them to fuck off it doesn't matter. If they can't even muster a reason as to why, tell them to fuck off even harder.

Shootist don't sound so good, seems like an autistic shooter
Is Cardsharp a play on Cardshark?
Others sound good, would Medicine Man and smoke leaves of juana

Was being retarded, didn't know it was also called cardsharp, my bad

Shootist is a reference to John Wayne's last movie. Cardsharp is the original term for cardshark. the two are interchangeable.

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheWildWest

ah, am not really a western guy, my bad

What's there to get triggered by?
I mean I'm a literal autistic person and I haven't seen anything remotely trigger-worthy on these threads.

There's no real reason to come up with new classes, just use the existing ones (including some UAs), refluffed. My suggestion would be...

>Artificer
Tech guy, possibly building a giant mechanical spider so as to overthrow the USA. Almost always colonist.

>Barbarian
Savage and primitive warrior who relies on ferocity rather than skill or learning.

>Druid
A native shaman or priest who follows the will of nature.

>Fighter
Trained warrior who relies on battle tactics and learning. Could be native or colonist.

>Mystic
Not necessarily psionic, but instead tapping into strange and esoteric powers. Think a mesmerist or hypnotist from the Victorian age. Usually colonists, but some natives.

>Paladin
Fights for a cause and imbued with great power by that devotion to a cause. Usually a colonist, but there are some native paladins.

>Ranger
Scout, explorerer, wanderer, vagabond, Grizzly. Comes in both native and colonist varieties. Often get along well with other members of their class better than they get along with their own people.

>Rogue
Cardshark, huckster, maverick and trickster. Also deadly shots when they want to be. Colonist or native in equal variety.

>Warlock
Makes dark pacts with strange powers, like the Windigo perhaps, in exchange for eldritch might. Play up the Cthulhu aspects.

Well, they are a low leveled favored soul sorc, who traded out the ability to alter saves and attack rolls for martial weapon prof. Then as they are playing a short human (and at the prodding of the players saying OP) they traded 5ft of movement to have light armor prof. They then boosted that to medium prof with the feat.
Big focus on closing with the enemy and beating on them in melee, so far it plays like a cleric with some wizard blasting, and had this not happened over multiple sessions I probably would've sent them over to cleric from the start.
Due to some magic items, they have an AC of 20, but the actual cleric in the party can get higher AC, as well as being better in melee.
They even traded out shield as a spell.
In theory, yes, he could be quite strong, but he doesn't play that way at all. In the encounters of the last few sessions he has been drug off, poisoned, rammed, and do to a poor decision he lost a magic item (got swindled by pirates).
I see his potential to be OP... but not seeing it in game.
What is odd is usually these guys are pretty on top of stuff like this.

I'm planning to start up 5E, never played it before. Have lots of experience with 3.5 (and other unrelated systems).
What sources should I allow? Core only? Is there something essential I'm locking y going with pure core? Are there any vital variant rules I should use?

Not unless someone wants to play Ranger.

UA Ranger should pretty much replace the PHB Ranger. EEPC has some spells that can be fun, none of them are really "powerful", but most are flavorful, interesting, or both. VGTM has extra player races that are mostly in line with existing races.

Beyond that, UA is mostly fine for player use, Lore Wizard, and Theurge Wizard archetypes being things you may want to restrict.

Depends what you mean by pure core. Incorporate Sword's Coast Adventurer's Guide for sure, it's all pretty balanced. Salt to taste with Volo's and EEPC.

Revised Ranger UA is worth looking at.

>Are there any vital variant rules I should use?

Feats. You should definitely allow feats. Multiclassing is okay too, I guess. Also, the climbing on Large Monsters rule from the DMG.

>What sources should I allow?

Anything actually printed in book form. Nothing's notably unbalanced until very high levels, except the Ranger, which is both weak and kind of boring as printed in the PHB. Therefore you should instead allow the Unearthed Arcana Revised Ranger, which is stronger and more interesting, without being at all overpowered.

The rest of Unearthed Arcana you can take or leave at your discretion.

Pure core is functional.

Released modules are okay, don't add much complexity but have fun options particularly in spells.

Revised Ranger should replace Ranger, as others have mentioned.

There are no problems with the rest of UA as long as you disallow multiclassing them and also restrict the Lore and Theurge Wizard archetypes. That said you can also just not allow UA to save you the problem of reading through them - there's nothing essential there.

Only two issues I see here.
He's got pretty damn high AC, you say he's "low leveled." I don't know what that means. But AC of 20 on a caster IS pretty damn high. That's more of a fault of the item you gave him.

When it comes to favored soul, it's a little bit annoying that they can be so blasty as a sorcerer and have heals.

You basically turned him into a cleric with a smaller spell list but a potential to be a little bit blasty. Clerics themselves are marginally less blasty.

If he's getting his shit kicked in regardless of the AC though, then he obviously isn't leading the charge with everyone else in the dust. He sounds fine.

Tell your players that you're keeping an eye on things and to trust you. After a long fought battle maybe give them a magic item a bit later.

One of my players tried to powergame the fuck out of his character as a sorlock and it seems he didn't really understand the build and got all of his character building strategy from shitty forums and the D&D wiki. After talking with him and explaining, "no you're not going to be able to do 4d10+10 to a single target every turn for free at level 5," he's now having second thoughts because he doesn't like the micromanagement of handling two spellcaster classes worth of resources to track.
He still likes the character itself and instead wants to switch to full warlock with his levels. I'm willing to do this but the group decided there needs to be some sort of drawback. Like Asmodeus (his patron) is willing to sap his sorcerer power and grant him more warlock power, but at a price.
Any suggestions for this price? I was thinking maybe some devilish markings that are clearly visible, or misfortune always seems to follow the people who do business with him. That type of stuff.

>Also, the climbing on Large Monsters rule from the DMG.
Where is that listed? I don't have my book to check now but wanna make a note for later if you happen to know.

Asmodeous is the demon/devil of lust right? At least in non-d&d lore. Maybe no girl will ever love him, and just want him for his body.

I'm trying to punish him, not reward him user.
In D&D Asmodeus is like the king dick of all devils, ruler of the Nine Hells, supreme being within his realm. His domains are knowledge, torment, and tyranny.

If I were you I'd allow multiclassing UA on a case-by-case basis.
Believe it or not, some people multiclass for flavor and not mechanical benefit. Not all combinations are broken.

How I run it is that if a player wants to UA multiclass we ask them why they want to, and then come to a unanimous decision as a group if it should be cool or not. And everyone always ends up happy.
Because even if there's a reason people decide that they shouldn't be allowed to, a simple change to a feature is usually enough to balance it right up.

So my great weapon fighter lost his left arm from the elbow down escaping from a demon world.

What weird and wonderful ways can I replace it? I'm level 4.

that's small time. Make it so that he has to pay back Asmodeus in cum.

To make it easier Asmodeus turns him into a Succubus.

I guess that depends on the character.
What kind of sorcerer was he before? Might be able to come up with some punishment based on that.

Nature cleric, ask pan to give you a tree-arm.

Hook hand that has a slot you can screw weapons into. Takes an action to equip your sword but you are immune to being Disarmed.

I have a magic maul that appears in my hand when I need it, I don't know how I could screw that in, or even if I could modify it. Good idea though

This one would be a great fit for my character as he's essentially Finn the Human with dashes of Zap Branigan.

They are level 4 currently, ty for the advice bro

Play off the torment. Can't get a long rest until he next levels up because of tormented dreams. When he casts a spell he takes damage equal to half the level of the spell slot used. A physical punishment for "abandoning his pact" for so long. Or makes him sacrifice an innocent for forgiveness or something.

And if he was a fire sorcerer, it now burns when he pees.

What exactly is the balance behind warlocks having only 2 spell slots until level 11? Is it because Eldritch/Agonizing Blast is so strong as a cantrip?

Pretty much, that and them refreshing on short-rests. They undersold them though. Should get 3 slots instead of 2 for most of their career so Rod of the pact-keeper isn't so fucking mandatory on them.

yeah if a warlock is in my campaign they'll usually get either the Rod or a Pearl of Power pretty early.

Isn't there a thing where they can meditate for a minute and get their slots back?

Yeah, at level fucking 20.

Give him eternal, irreparable erectile dysfunction. Also make it so he never feels sexual pleasure, or romantic pleasure of any kind, ever again.

For icing on the cake, make all women immediately attracted to him.

Burn scars across a proportion of his body equivalent to the proportion of his total levels that were sorcerer.

How do I play a Knight-Errant that makes people fear me, love me and follow me into battle?

How do you write a backstory for a PC of a long-lived race?

Same as for every race. Mention milestones, not day to day shit

kill your enemies and make an example of their corpses, treat your friends, followers, and those under your protection kindly, and put points into charisma for that last one.

I would cum so hard on those ears.

Good luck and have fun, bro. To your shock and horror, 5e actually works and is a good rpg system.

Question for you tha/tg/uys. If I'm dual wielding and also happen to know divine spells, how does sheathing the off hand/main hand weapon work for casting a spell? Would it take a whole action to sheathe the sword and pull out the spellcasting focus? Or does my turn simply end with the focus in my hand rather than the weapon?

I've put together some mechanics for a fight pit the party is going to take part in, but it's completely off the top of my head, so I could use any worthwhile feedback. Apologies for the formatting, it's straight from my notes.

Mechanics
---
**Fight:**
>The fight-runner will have his warlocks cast an extended Antimagic Field on the ring before the battle commences as part of a "surprise".
>Each fighter has a "Knockout" number equal to their Constitution modifier + their proficiency bonus.
>Initiative works as normal.
>Actions can be used to Attack or Dodge - attacks function as normal, but "health" is taken from the opponent's "Knockout" points.
>Dodge functions as normal (enemy has disadvantage to hit).
>No Opportunity Attacks.
>You can win by grappling a prone enemy for three rounds.
>Fights last a total of up to ten rounds, excluding Cheer rounds. If the number of rounds runs out, the fighter with the higher remaining "Knockout" points wins.

**Spectators:**
>Spectators roll initiative as well.
>They get one action, which can be used to use abilities, make wagers, "Cheer", or "Boo".

Cheering or booing involves a Performance roll:
>1-5 means failure.
>6-14 means success.
>15-20 means double the effect (as if two people had cheered/booed).

>If at least five spectators cheer, a round is added to the fight.
>If at least five spectators boo, a round is removed from the fight.

**Wagering:**
All wagers are even bets. Revised wagers can be made during the battle, but it requires a Persuasion check to make the wager.

>Betting against the losing party: DC 15
>Betting when it's even: DC 10
>Betting for the losing party: DC 5

It's not fixed mechanics - the party are free to be creative with it. I just want a framework in place.

Invocations mainly and if they had any more slots earlier they'd have a lot more average spell power than the long rest progression. Still might not break anything though.

>stone sorcerer
Wtf is a stone sorcerer??