Warhammer Fantasy (Battles) General - /wfg/

I'M GRIMGOR edition

Last thread: > Resources (Crunch, Lore and Warhammer Fantasy Role-play)
WFB: pastebin.com/8rnyAa1S (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed)
WFRP: pastebin.com/0e6RuQux (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed)
Novels: mega.nz/#F!9Lw1WIRZ!eKxkOlAQwuZO3_8pHOK-EQ

> We're looking for these novels for the archive
pastebin.com/TSQhemJR (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed)

> Alternative Warhammer Miniatures and Manufacturers
pastebin.com/CvGaNyrk (embed) (embed) (embed) (embed)
the-ninth-age.com/lexicon/index.php?lexicon/462-the-9th-age-miniature-library/
tabletop-miniatures-solutions.com/13-the-9th-age
Tomb Kings Alternative: indiegogo.com/projects/tms-undying-dynasties-army-release#/
Bretonnia Alternative: indiegogo.com/projects/tms-kingdom-of-equitaine-army-release

> The 9th Age
the-ninth-age.com

> Warhammer Wikis
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki (most complete)
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page
warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Online_Wiki

> Warhammer Video Games
Total War Warhammer: store.steampowered.com/app/364360/
Vermintide: store.steampowered.com/app/235540/
Mordheim City of the Damned: store.steampowered.com/app/276810/
Bloodbowl 2: store.steampowered.com/app/236690/
Man O' War: store.steampowered.com/app/344240/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SVsKnSJuivI&t=71s
youtube.com/watch?v=Ny7cTFHcL04
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

KARL ZOGGING FRANZ WHAT A LOSER

Well, duh! Sure I would! There are tons of outdated stuff in other armies, why wouldn't Bretonnia get a mortar or bombarda, especially they DO have an official model? It didn't stop them to put there a bolt thrower...

Stillborn thread.

>WHFB thread

>not even 10% of op is WHFB

Has anyone read the Total War Warhammer novels? Are they any good?

I have a hard time thinking of how to bullshit ancient numidieans as hunters.
Especially since they are barefoot.

I always want to post in these threads, but I just can't bring myself to post anything substantial. The thought of Warhammer fantasy just makes me sad and reminds me of the callousness of man toward his own creations.

Posting for mobile, please forgive resolution problems. I started working on my old Island of Blood skaven and wanted to do a silly theme for them. I decided they would be from a clan that discovered cheese-making from Tilea and derived most of their income from selling the nutrient dense food to their ravenous brethren. My battle standard bearer is the head cheese maker, with a round of cheese in the banner and a jaunty cap he stole off a tilean chef. Any ideas for ridiculous cheese themes or names for the group? I plan on painting different cheeses on the unit banners and using those to identify them.

That's so ridiculous it may just work.

Linburger cheese would be a good chemical weapon.

Stormvermin could be a play on the 'Swiss Guard,' complete with colorful uniforms.

Omg. I love it! I was already planning on having a big block of stormvermin (since they get the nutrients) and yellow being the primary color for the army (cheddar). I just need to add blue and put some holes in the banner and it'll be grate!

Same here. I'll never abandon Fantasy and I'll always despise AoS for destroying it, but the community is part of the enjoyment. I can still read the lore and paint and collect (though that's getting more difficult) my armies, but these hobbies are social things. Without a community to discuss and play with it's not the same.

Eventually Fantasy will die though, which is sad. It seems like less and less people even bother with the general anymore. Only Total War: Warhammer is keeping any interest in it alive.

>Games Workshop; or, the Modern Prometheus.

Well, I've been seeing stuff recently that's given me reason to hope. There are people sharing models they're painting, and showing interest in building army lists and discussing tactics. There are people looking for ideas for WHFRP - scenarios and how certain ideas would work.

It's not as great as it used to be - even looking back at the threads during the End Times, they were so vibrant and full of discussion and debate - but I don't think WFB is going to die any time soon. There's still interest, and I think after a few years people have begun to realize that what there is now isn't going to suddenly disappear.

If Battletech has taught me anything, then that a game lives as long as people keep it in their hearts and on their tables.
WHFB is too iconic to ever die, the question is if it's played around you. GW has basically closed off the supply to the huge numbers of shallow players, but at the same time thanks to the rise of third party opened the gates for the true grogs. Just found a group and believe me, the kind of people that start playing an unsupported game aren't ones to go away.

6e a best

>OP image

GREENED

That's genius!

Blood bowl team is put together. As I am basing them on the Detroit Lions nfl team, I looked to the North and discovered the Norse Dwarfholds. Clan Lionheart will be based out of Kraka Ornsmotek.

It's sad for sure, but my bitterness at GW is long gone. When you realize that no matter how bad they've fucked up they still can't take away the old material and especially the old memories, you feel a little better in that regard. Fantasy may be dead in GW's eyes and in a lot of cynics' but to us who love it it can always keep living in our hearts, or some gay shit like that.

Regardless it still does and always will suck how badly they mishandled and consciously fucked up the franchise after SoC.

What I'm bitter about now is how they're doing the same thing to 40k. Fuck they've been doing it for years now but it's coming to a head as of late.

Randomly rolled all their names out of the WFRP 2e character pack. Their surnames were first randomly rolled to see if they got patronymical names, or heroic titles; as you can see, a whole seven did. Then of the remaining five, the two brothers have their uncle's name.

i think the total war video game is helping revive this IP

is it me or does "Clan Lionheart" just not seem dwarfy at all? Just seems like other dawi would say "Why lions? They ever even seen one? If they got lions down here the idiots could be spending more time doing somthing constructive.".

Maybe they've heard all kinds of the southlands? Like lions are some big ferocious beast, so they adopt it as a means to strike fear into the hearts of their opponents.

LET THEM KNOW THERE'S STILL ONE FANTASY PLAYER ON Veeky Forums WHO STILL DRAWS BREATH!

It's for the best, GW began to radically change between 2005 and 2010 and I don't feel the same level of passion for new GW.

It's for the best that Fantasy has been preserved as 1st to 8th edition before any real damage was done.

I'm looking forward to the new RPG next year, should be some new and interesting stuff to read. A nice Dwarf book to rival the Heirs of Sigmar would be very welcome.

At least one. I'll never give up on WHFB.

>kill off fantasy
>release skubmar
>its shit and everyone knows it
>fantasy makes its glorious return in 2020 with record high sales

believe it

These should work as an empire general and captain right?

Maybe as Middenheim Captains.

post yfw on Jan 1 2020 GW announces AOS is ending, End Times is retconned, and a new WHFB line is coming

My first thought too. What's your theme? Wolf furs are good for just about any city state that's around woods or the mountains.

Also, what minis are those? They're cool.

>friend started playing total war: warhammer
>finds it a shitload of fun
>talk to him about the lore and how it all works, the way magic works, everything about anything he asks and all that
>he's super fascinated by all of it

People are still drawn to it, and it'll continue to find new audiences if they're aggressive with pushing the IP like this.

I think the franchise turning to vidya was ultimately a good thing, considering that I heard eighth was an abomination. I might try to start a Mordheim thing going at my local board game night.

I have no face, because that'll never happen. I don't know how well AOS is doing, but it's definitely going to make the investors go apeshit if they do that. The most you'll get is maybe a 'retro game night' enforced at GW stores, where you can play discontinued games. Or recasts of models.

literally me. about to finish my first box of minis for fantasy after playing tww

They probably could, but am I the only one that prefers working with GW models where possible? I want Questing Knights, not to settle for the closest approximation I can get to Questing Knights.

It's sad because if GW had even considered broadening their use of the IP, they could've brought a lot of new players in. I think 40k has the right idea with how it's IP is getting used for videogames, even if they aren't big name ones.

Then again, if I had my way GW would never phase out any of their models, because of how useful they can be for kitbashing. It can be frustrating looking at some beautiful models featured in White Dwarf or something that were made with bits from kits you just can't get anymore.

>tfw finally managed to get some of the 6th ed horrors still in the box
I don't even know why they're this hard to come by, they weren't OOP until not that long ago.
I guess nobody wants to part with them since they're so good.

Also post your favourite oldhammer models

Thinking about writing an adventure for WFRP2e based around a holy pilgrimage, akin to the one required in Morrowind for joining the Tribunal Temple. The Church of Sigmar seems an obvious target, though Ulric, Verena, and perhaps Morr would work as well. What are your thoughts?

I don't think he's ever going to go into minipainting and wargaming and all that. It's just too much money, and it's only going to get harder to get things going as time goes on. I probably wouldn't do Mordheim if it wasn't so easy to proxy up certain things, and a box of minis gave you enough material for multiple warbands.

I feel like Wargaming as a whole is steadily going back to being a hobbyist thing. GW's constant flipflopping on balance where x is shit but y is completely busted, until y gets neutered and z becomes good now, and then w gets reworked...

I feel like that stresses people out, and it certainly stresses their paychecks out. Unless they calm down and create a steady, balanced, environment for their games, more and more people might drop them. That's what killed WHFB, iirc. No one wants to blow $300+ on armies that get curbstomped, or might become tabling fodder in the next codex or whatever.

Until then, I'll try and be the lil' Sigmarite preacher at my local uni, doing Mordheim here and there, trying to get a WHFB game going, etc. etc.

Doesn't WHFB have more games for it, and more modern and supported games than 40k? Seems like WHFB is becoming the 'vidya' IP for GW. It also has the better music-related projects.

youtube.com/watch?v=SVsKnSJuivI&t=71s
youtube.com/watch?v=Ny7cTFHcL04

Norzul's minis, my theme is the poor fucks stuck living next to the Drakwald.
I'm waiting on some stuff to make molds out of the Gripping Beast viking hirdmen wolf pelts and give it to a bunch of my men.

Problem with buying GW is that every Fantasy box sold is actually a box sold for Sigmar.

So I got into WHF with the second edition of the tabletop game. I have no knowledge of WHFB, nor 1st edition; more importantly, the world and lore that come with it. I am vaguely familiar with how the Storm of Chaos era came about, in terms of how the WHFB games influenced the setting - and much against Games Workshop's wishes. I think I read about that on 1d4chan?

I am curious, given GW's apparent plan to have Chaos sweep everything; were they planning on having Chaos win utterly, and wipe out the setting then? What were their long term plans? As an aside, I really enjoy how the Storm ended in such a seemingly random fashion, thanks to the WHFB games.

Games had no influence at all, that's what players complained about. GW did exactly what they wanted to do from the beginning.

I know it was manipulated in favor of Chaos, but was the ending they got to the one they had always intended?

No because they retconned that for the end times.
World is dead and now Sigmar shoved everyone into his magical realms.

Interesting. That suggests that they had the concept for Age of Sigmar ready for years, doesn't it? I mean, if they were ready for an End Times-eque scenario, they surely had something to follow it up with.

It doesn't mean anything.
40k sold more so they tried to turn Fantasy into 40k. Just look at their sky dwarves.

But at least several factions have the option of buying through GW still, and not having to deal with ebay prices inflated by demand and increasing rarity. And who knows, maybe GW will notice if people are adamantly buying old WFB models instead of new AoS ones.

The End Times has been a concept in Warhammer for a long time. I don't think they ever really intended to enact it. It was just some kind of eschatological concept. Something to hammer home that the world was at two minutes to midnight.

I would honestly rather buy third party than give GW potential Sigmar bux.
Has someone told them that steampunk is dead yet? Someone needs to do that.

can someone post the bretonnian musketman?

Glad I picked this up on Ebay when I did.

What's the (commonly-accepted) estimated length of most Dark Elf Black Arks? How big are they compared to WW2 Battleships?

that's fantastic user, who/what are you painting, what's in the box???
and also you could probably use one box of minis for 8th ed's regiments of renown 100 point battles gametype to get a feel of the game.

>I am curious, given GW's apparent plan to have Chaos sweep everything; were they planning on having Chaos win utterly, and wipe out the setting then? What were their long term plans? As an aside, I really enjoy how the Storm ended in such a seemingly random fashion, thanks to the WHFB games.

There were four different prophecies in Oldhammer that could've ended the world.

One was a Chaos victory written down by an unnamed cultist. Reading it is what drove Archaon insane and convinced him Chaos was gonna come and bitchslap everyone and he figured if it wasn't all blown up he could maybe get a slice of the pie himself.

The other was a Chaos victory, sorta, but not the same gods. It said the Chaos Gods of Law would come and bitchslap the Chaos Gods of..Chaos (Ruinous Powers) and offer everyone peace and stability. In exchange for everything being put in a permanent comatose stasis cuz that's the epitome of order in their minds. Not that less sucky than the Chaos Chaos ending.

Third prophecy is from the scalefurries in the west who said their Old Gods would come back to save the world in its time of need and bitchslap every god into subservience and/or remake the world. Very ambiguous as to this being good or bad.

Fourth is the one from the Empireium of Man, that being that Sigmar would return and bitchslap all non-Empire gods and establish a worldwide dominance of Men. And Dwarves.

Another ending not really "prophecied" is the Horned Rat planning to amass his followers and eventually overthrow all the gods and make himself king of the Warp and all reality. Skaven believe he will of course.

Morecock's original concepts on the gods and Chaos vs. Order said that no one would ever truly win or come out on top in the end. If any side took too much power over the world and existence then Reality would balance itself out and destroy everything indiscriminately.

End Times is what Mary Sued things up and said "Chaos wins no matter what neener neener neener."

You mean that picture from the end of the last thread? Shouldn't be hard to find even if you for some reason can't check the last thread - it's part of a mod that gives Bretonnia handgunners and stuff, there's got to be other screenshots.

It's not really about the end of the Warhammer world, but don't forget the prophecy that Malekith would be undone by a wizard dude. That never really got addressed in the End Times at all.

That too, which sucks cuz I enjoyed that prophecy as a nod to Tolkien.

warning for tolkienloretime

Malekith being the Witch King having a prophecy that he'd be undone in the future by a specific yet vague thing and that hanging over him is the same what happened to the Witch King of Angmar, who after he got done ass-smashing some human kingdoms was interrupted by Elves and he cut his losses and retreated to fight them another time. When he ran he was laughing like a smug shit and insulting the Elves and one of them told him a very brief and straightforward prophecy that no man would ever slay him, but he would be slain.

It was cool to me being a nerdy fuck of both fiction universes and it's weird that GW never brought up his prophecy again, even before the End Times and lore going to hell the final friday.

>recently get into warhammer through total war
>have seen the memes for years
>thought the orcs were going to be like the war boys and rev heads from Mad Max Fury Road
>they're "comedic relief: the faction"

how disappointing.

also, dwarves have fucking helicopters? that's stupid as hell

So how much does Warhamms sell for these days?

I have my old dwarf army, or the bits I can find at least, ready for sale but dunno what to charge?

For reference, it's a mix of Dwarfs from when I started, which I think was 6th, then models from when they get their latest fantasy book, which was 2005? So it's OOP models and some limited editions plus the newest plastic kits (or newest to my knowledge).

I'm in the UK if it helps.

>It was cool to me being a nerdy fuck of both fiction universes and it's weird that GW never brought up his prophecy again, even before the End Times and lore going to hell the final friday.

The Prophecy happened though. Malekith was undone by Teclis/Mannfred (whoever you want to see it). Maly got his legs crushed and he dissolved in Realm of Chaos. Fora period of time, his mind ceased to be.

All your post is lies. There was one 1st ed text wasn't a prophecy. It's just lore text. The Storm of Chaos book took a single line from it.

> unnamed cultist

Necrodomo the Insane is unnamed? fgt. If I was a forum mod I would have banned you on the spot for that. Acting all knowledgeable while being more ignorant than a bret peasant.

And Necrodomo didn't really write it. Be'lakor wrote it but used Necrodomo's name since Necrodomo for some reason lost his mind when he saw Be'lakor. Anyways,, Be'lakor hammered the words of the text into reality itself and set all of it in motion ensuring the End Times and worlds doom happened. Archaon being a brat went off script at the final moment.

>your post is a lie and i'll source end times lore to prove it

The club is two pages up.

I think that's also End Times lore which most anons here shit on and don't speak of, for good reason

My sources is 1st ed wprg, storm of chaos campaign book, and 6th ed lore that introduced fucking Necrodomo.

Also Archaon's novel which happened 2 or 3 years before the End Times.

So none of what I said is ET. You get out.

archaon: everchosen (the novel which you cite) came out in 2013 and was part of the end times lore, it even said so on the back of the book, so yeah all of that is definitely end times

as for 1st ed wfrpg the first book had the consistency of fragmented gravel and a lot of contradictions and mistakes are in there. the same book that says a chaos victory is inevitable says a law victory is inevitable says sigmar destroying chaos is inevitable says the old ones will return says the world itself will end says it will be saved and then when skaven became a thing says the horned rat will rule all things says the phoenix king will return and rebuild the elves and

are you getting the point yet?

>archaon: everchosen (the novel which you cite) came out in 2013 and was part of the end times lore, it even said so on the back of the book, so yeah all of that is definitely end times

"The End Times" gets thrown a lot whenever Archaon is mentioned ever since his introduction in 6th ed. The Archaon novel is no more ET lore than any novel besides it and before it.

I mean does it have the "End Times" symbol on it like picture related? No.

>as for 1st ed wfrpg the first book had the consistency of fragmented gravel and a lot of contradictions and mistakes are in there. the same book that says a chaos victory is inevitable says a law victory is inevitable says sigmar destroying chaos is inevitable says the old ones will return says the world itself will end says it will be saved and then when skaven became a thing says the horned rat will rule all things says the phoenix king will return and rebuild the elves and

Post text and pages plox.

AoS is not tanking, like it or not.

I actually have an unopened box of these. I could make a decent buck with them but I'd rather not to be honest.

Why didn't GW release this? There's no model to put on the table when Seraphon dies.

All 8th edition fluff was ET fluff, at least since Vampire Counts, but because the 8th edition is shit I just disregard all of it.

>chaos wins
>because the world is destroyed there's no people left to empower the chaos gods

>thought the orcs were going to be like the war boys and rev heads from Mad Max Fury Road
yeah maybe in 40k
>they're "comedic relief: the faction"
you should read the books then

Your Emperor has faith in you

Like the other user said, 40k is the madmax orks. Read a bit more into the ork fluff. It's actually pretty enlightening. I think some user has the passage on Azaug after he gains a brain, it's pretty deep.

I personally like the fluff behind the Black Orcs and the Spider cult Goblins.

I don't think comic relief is the right way to put it, more that they're generally disinterested in a whole to do anything worthwhile unless a great personality comes along to herd them like the green hulking cats that they are. Otherwise they squabble among themselves or whatever else is nearest until the last one standing tells them to cut their shit out.

>also, dwarves have fucking helicopters? that's stupid as hell
You are stupid as hell, you can't even figure out what the shift key does.

I have no faith left for Sigmar.
Ulric all the way baby!

Sell units / characters individually rather than your army
Separate painted from non-painted, etc, just common sense stuff
If it's painted don't even bother charging more than 60% of what you payed for them unless it's easily strippable or you're a real good painter, unpainted is worth a little more than what you payed for them at the time if it's OOP.
The plastics will sell at about 50% - 75% of their current value

You've mixed up Orcs and Goblins of WFB and the Orks of 40k. They're very similar, but not the same, and I'm kind of surprised most people don't realize this. Seriously, where are you going to get Fury Road levels of trucks and bikes in a fantasy setting? Best you can really get are the Skaven.

I like the gyrocopters. They've never quite had a perfect look to them - the new ones are too squat, the old ones are too flimsy - but it makes sense how a bunch of people stuck in the mountains all the time might someday consider flying over them to be easier than walking or carving out tunnels that Skaven and Goblins will invade through.

Whenever I get asked why I like the old aesthetics better than the new, I point to to these. Old Horrors vs New Horrors sums it up perfectly.

New Info on Total War Warhammer 2 from /twg/

>PC Gamer played through a Quest Battle, Lizardmen against High Elves. They had to stop the elves from completing a ritual, either by defeating the Elves or killing two chariot-riding wizards.

>Vampire Count and Human presence in Lustria confirmed!

>"Ancient ruins can be explored for treasure, and will draw the attention of other armies"

>The campaign map will feature "rogue armies: one-off armies made with no restrictions. Goblins herding dinosaurs!"

>Meeting certain criteria on the campaign map will unlock faction-specific battleground abilities. The High Elves can build something called a "Fortress Gate", which allows them to summon Eagles. The lizardmen can "summon velociraptors from space" "like a Star Trek away team"

>Sun Dragon confirmed for High Elves.

>You'll get a chance to resist being beaten suddenly in the Vortex campaign.

>At the end they ask about Skaven: ""We will say that the list of races is yet to be... rat-ified", Roxburgh says, extremely pleased with himself""

>We will say that the list of races is yet to be... rat-ified

How would you go about focusing more heavily on the grim side of the Warhammer setting without taking it too seriously like 40k?
Really wanted to start up a Fantasy equivalent of INQ28 because AoS28 doesn't really fit the original Warhammer setting at all, it just copies 40k's flavour of grim dark.
The darker parts of Gotrek and Felix do a good job but translating the mood visually is difficult

How the fuck would they be like the guys from Mad Max in a Tolkien early modern setting?

> ratified.

I feel embarrassed for him.

I mean, Mordheim. Basically.
I'd elaborate but it pretty much speaks for itself.

It's a world where monsters and worse hide around every corner and your neighbor might be a chaos cultist.
Pretty grim but livable, unlike 40k.

ET/AOS fixed that by saying all universes are shared and the chaos gods just had other followers to worship them, and later it said they don't need worshipers to empower them and everything they do is just for fun. ET/AOS is so fucking stupid that it angers me sometimes.

>Pretty grim but livable, unlike 40k.

I dunno, up until GW started AOSing it and ruining the fluff not all of 40k was cripplingly miserable. There were some modernized or agricultural worlds in the Imperium that never saw conflict and where you could live out your life as a boring, mundane farmer, or factory worker, or office clerk. Wage slavery and cubicles exist in 40k too.

Then there's the paradise worlds that hold to their namesake and are often where on-leave guardsmen and the nobility head to, or the primitive worlds with little to no contact with the outside world who live medieval or lesser lives.

WHF is definitely more livable and has a lot more of the mundane medieval life in it, but 40k isn't constant grimdark misery and wartorn destruction every single place you go.

Well, to be fair (undeservedly so), it's not an unheard-of idea.

i've actually been playing on roll20 (to the best of its ability to replicate it) with a friend. these are the guys ive been painting, about to finish up the last 5.

Don't lie. Paradise worlds are only paradises for the nobility while the plebs are pretty much slaves that are abused in horrible ways including being hunted as animals.

Also in ALL the fluff describing the Imperium it says the vast majority of the Imperium live lives of abject suffering and hopelessness beneath a chocking oppressive leash of the Imperium. And most of these guys live in civilised worlds which are your "modern worlds".

And agri-worlds are basically slave worlds where people are worked to death. picture related.

I mean this is 5th ED lore that's been around since forever. So you intetionally "forgot" about to push a false point about "AoSing" which in reality just shows that you know nothing about you are talking about. You are fucking scum.

Except those old concepts were based on Moorcock's concept of fantasy gods of order and chaos. The Chaos gods, the Order gods, the Elven gods, the Empire gods, the Dwarven gods, the Horned Rat: none of them put forward their full power in stopping their enemies and taking full control because it would upset the balance of the world's reality so much that everything would fuck itself over and more or less implode. This is why the gods, especially those of Chaos, Order, and the Empire, empower individuals and bless regular people to do their bidding rather than do it themselves.

If you REALLY wanna get into it, one of the only times the Chaos gods have come forth in a personal manner was when Aenarion led the Helves against them and wiped out their armies not twice but three times in a row. Then they learned Aenarion was so sick of fighting them that he took matters into his own hands and stole Khaine's sword.

All the way there Khaine was telling him it's a shit idea and that it'll only bring more destruction, and when Aenarion was nearing the Chaos-controlled lands the Chaos gods themselves started mocking him and insisting he leave before he hurt himself, then threatening him when he kept going, then bargaining and making offers with him when he kept going, then pleading with him to go back and that they wouldn't bother him again. When he still kept going they sent four Greater Daemons and took direct control over them.

They lost and their armies were destroyed a fourth time.

If the evil gods were just always playful and unstoppable then one of the best pieces of Oldhammer lore never would've happened.

Take your End Times shit and head on out.

>implying the fluff didn't start sucking ass at 5th/6th ed

You nu-lore apologists never get old.