Settings from other countries

Does your country have a local RPG publication? Does it have a local setting or system that is popular in the country and probably nowhere else?

In Brazil we actually have two pretty big settings/systems that are popular and still alive that I know of, Tormenta RPG, a fantasy setting, and Brigada Ligeira Estelar, a space mecha game with 1800s european culture.

These settings are mainly supported by what is probably the only surviving RPG publication in the country, that works with a publisher (that used advertise in the magazine when it was just a FLGS) that is actually quite good and they actually have quite a lot of books.

>country of 200m people
>has only 1 RPG publisher with 2 game lines

Tell us more about Tormenta's setting.

Tormenta is a fantasy setting that started as a way to tie up most of the adventures published in the Dragão Brasil, the local RPG publication, and was initially given along the 50th edition of Dragão Brasil. Since then it escalated and now runs a modified 3.X DnD as it's own system, and is actually quite good.

When it started it had trio Tormenta as the main writers, who were basically a fantasy guy, an otaku and a rules lawyer who just created whatever they thought was cool in the setting and then spun it around to fit. The settings main villains were based around some drawings of Kamen Rider style villains the otaku had drawn, for exemple.

Then, came the new trio Tormenta that was a lot more divisive and tried to normalize the setting to a more standard fantasy. While it was good at some points, like making the main villains now some really bad nightmare fuel, it also made the setting a little boring and it seemed they didn't really get what made it fun.

And then recently the old guys cam back so we are getting a new race that is basically Genji from Overwatch in the new Jade Kingdom book.

There actually were other game lines and publishers, but they mostly died in the 2000's with DnD 3.5.

Even Tormenta and Dragão Brasil struggled.

Even now there are probably some more fringe settings and systems but they are not as popular.

Arton is the name of the world in Tormenta, and it's a fantasy world where there is a group of Kingdom called the Reinado where most civilization is. There are several kingdoms, each with its different quirk, like a military state, the kingdom of horses, the kingdom of weapons, the kingdom of those weird guys with mismatched magical eyes, the kingdom governed by the king of red dragons who treats the kingdom as his hoard, and etc. Recently there was a war within the Reinado and it split in three, the Reinado itself, Tapista, the kingdom of roman minotaurs that conquered half of the land in pretty much a dick move, and the league of independent nations, that are just the country nobody really cares about.

The setting also has 20 well defined gods, each with its own personality and quirks and really present in the setting.

The world is besieged by several problems, including but not limited by an coalition army of goblins, hobgoblins and bugbears that conquered the whole south continent and destroyed the elf kingdom and is now coming north and a hellish storm that pours acid, creates demons and is actually another plane of existence trying to take over and maybe take the place of the gods. And they were created by three of the gods from Arton, one which was erased from ever having existed, one that was turned into a two kilometer tall statue that humanity built its greatest city, as she was the goddess of ambition and creator of the human race, and the god of dragons and power, that resurrected recently.

The setting is actually good, and had a 40 issues of a fun comic book released and three not really that good books in the setting.

It also had several books to expand the system like Manuals for the Divine, Arcane, Martial and Trickster classes that brought several more classes and prestige classes. The manual of races, that brought several new playable races to the setting, from sky elves to sprites and weird smart trolls.

It also had several adventure books release, including high level adventures to release the petrified goddess and defeat the high priest of the god of war that was actually brought from another plane by the god of war when he and his giant robot ran out of opponents in his native world. And you build a giant robot to fight his. Its fun.

>modified 3.X

Any monster page scans or other artwork from the setting?

>the king of red dragons who treats the kingdom as his hoard
Yes, finally. I dig it.

Sure, I'll try to get some here. Most books were in black and white and had art by lots of different people in hugely different styles. Most of it is a little anime like though.

To start with, the new Genji like race from Dragão Brasil.

Hey, it works. The other national system is original, but also really broken.

The first page of the introduction comic in the Manual of the Divine, with a half-genie paladin of the goddess of magic.

The fantasy setting sounds solid if unspectacular
Tell us about the space mechas

Is the Minotaur Wars adventure good?

The space mechas setting is more recent and has far less content, but it is one of the current supported settings and steadily receiving new stuff.

It is called Star Light Brigade, or Brigada Ligeira Estelar in portuguese.

It is based in most mecha anime but it has the social structures of around 1850s, with lots of nobles controlling stuff and joining the military, with honor duels using lightsabers and princes and princesses fighting in the political realm.

There is also political instability with people not so happy with nobles, and people who believe the Emperor should not be the current Emperor as he pretty much loves the common folk and is loved back.

The Star Light Brigade is a special arm of the army where you don't need to be a noble to reach an officer status and have your own mecha, known as a Hussar.

In the mid of all of this some strange alien mechas who are actually piloted humans from another system or something like that, are attacking the fastest reaches of the system.

It is based on 3D&T the previously mentioned kinda broken system, but it is really fun and it had a whole adventure arc that was structured like a full mecha anime season released.

It also has a random tragic anime protagonist background generator that is kinda fun.

It's interesting, but the problem is that no matter what the minotaurs kinda win. The book has adventures set before, during and after the war, but most in small skirmishes or sabotage missions, and later rebel groups releasing hostages. It also has its own rules for big scale battles, but leave those up to you to build an adventure around.

But it is kinda nice and introduces a good adversary kingdom that was lacking in the setting before, even if it deals a really hard blow by removing a not very interesting but good king emperor of the Reinado by a really boring Mary Sue they tried thrice to make relevant and nobody really cared as Empress.

By hostages I mean slaves. Because the minotaurs are a male only race that keep slave harems. They also have lots of elf slaves because the goddess of elves surrendered to the god of minotaurs for protection in one of the bad books. Because of that elves abandoned their goddesses but some surrendered to the minotaurs also.

That sounds extremely hentai

Yeah, it was kinda of something done in the not so great times of the setting. The guy who wrote the books was a Bernard Cornwell fan and was really into gritty historical stuff and sex everywhere and it kinda showed around in the books, even when it didn't really mesh that well with the setting and previous publications, where it was a lot more happy and bright. The comics had the elf mage chanting anime opening songs to cast spells.

That serious stuff with the minotaur god kinda slipped into the setting later when they had to deal with the minotaur army attacks and the book writer was among the responsible for writing the minotaur splat book.

The image is a guardian of the reality, a kind of planar defense paladin to fight the planar storm aberrations.

I take it none of the books are in English.

Yes, everything is in Portuguese. I would really be interested in seeing how the setting would do up north, but it would take tons of work in a product that is kinda niche.

More art from the Manual of the divine.

Actually, with a fair bit of appealing to Cassaro and crew's ego, I think they might try to go international.

Another first page of an introductory comic. I think this one is from the Martial Manual.

anão brasileiro aqui

I only know Tormenta exists but never read much into it, thanks for the information user

You should give it a go. It has its issues, but I find it more fun and flavorful than most generic settings.

I would if I had a group

Know any good places to look in Rio?

Nah, I'm from São Paulo's countryside. But I do know there is a store in Ipanema that has a few tables and sells the books. You might have some luck over there. I bought Brigada Ligeira over there.

I believe it was called PointHQ, but I only went once or twice when I visited.

Not that user, but facebook might be actually useful for that. Look up:
/dungeoncarioca/
/saiadamasmorra/
/rpgnabpe/
RPG Rio de Janeiro

Faltou dizer que Tormenta é o RPG mais desbalanceado que existe, não que ele seja ruim, é minha paixão, mas é super desbalanceado.

This actually looks mildly interesting.

How is it that Latin American and Spanish-speaking countries have such good manga artists and yet I never heard of people like Kenny Ruiz until the Infinity manga came out?

Do not forget TAGMAR.

>Tagmar is a roleplaying game (RPG) launched in 1991 by GSA that claims to be the first such Brazilian offering on what was at the time a nascent market. The game was a typical early 1990s RPG but featured a series of innovations, the main one being that it was a self-contained package with everything necessary to play provided in a single book: rules, setting, magic, creatures and a pre-prepared adventure for beginners. At the time, RPG books were imported to Brazil and it was necessary to have several to play a game. Based on the works of J. R. R. Tolkien, Tagmar faced accusations that it was based on Dungeons & Dragons (D&D), especially from Dragão Brasil magazine, at the time edited by Marcelo Cassaro*, while others claimed that it was very different. Due to a variety of factors including price, availability and innovation, such as the unprecedented concept of "Heroic Energy"**, in a short time Tagmar became a success and gathered a large fan base.

* Creator of Tormenta
** Heroic Energy was literally "plot armor", spend before using the physical energy (meat points).

Well, yeah, it's unbalanced, but it's usually easy to say no when when someone appears with a CR 28 Kraken as a pet or with a level 5 character that can cast the strongest magic in the game because he fakes really really well.

Is Tormenta d20 based?

Yes. At first it was merely several articles from a RPG magazine sewed together as a campaign setting. Those articles had stats for the common RPG systems of the time (mostly 0D&D/AD&D/GURPS). Later they relaunched the setting using the d20 System, and even more later as an OGL.

Needless to say they hated GSL/4E and made that clear in their magazine.

>Since then it escalated and now runs a modified 3.X DnD as it's own system, and is actually quite good.
It's a fucking lie, the system os Pathfinder, but everything more retarded and broken beyond repair.

>Hey, it works. The other national system is original, but also really broken
3D&T is better, you fucking faggot. Tormenta d20 was a mistake.