/hhg/ - Horus Heresy General - Painting Sorcery Edition

Rolled 4, 5 = 9 (2d6)

Situation Normal? Sub-Edition

Summary: After a brief spat of early shitposting carried over from the previous bread, hobbyists and list-critiquers saved the day for several anons and returned the bread to the light, and another /hhg/ bread passed in relatively good spirits. For now...

Previous Bread: →

>Thread FAQ
pastebin.com/iUqNrrA8

>Official HH 7th Edition Errata (not updated since January 2016)
forgeworld.co.uk/resources/fw_site/fw_pdfs/Horus_Heresy/Horus_Heresy_7th_Edition.pdf

>30k TACTICA & TIPS
What to include in a HH list, how to format it, what makes each legion special (crunch), tactics, Tutorials for Heresy-era minis and more
pastebin.com/Tm2P4QLp

>HH Books, Novels and Rulebooks galore
pastebin.com/k9uvqsub
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.docdroid.net%2Ffz1OuHK%2Fcrusade-imperialis-army-lists.pdf.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.docdroid.net%2FZTK72gs%2Flegiones-astartes-age-of-darkness-army-list.pdf.html
sys.Veeky Forums.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmega.nz%2F%23F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg

>/HHG/'s Legion demographics
strawpoll.me/10558764

>/HHG/'s allegiances
www.strawpoll.me/10663447

>Primarch Popularity Poll
strawpoll.me/11458318

>STUFF ANONS ASK FOR
www49.zippyshare.com/v/aYWlVV9f/file.html
www32.zippyshare.com/v/heDZWytT/file.html

Also, are you still there Banner-user, or did you die? Does anyone else happen to have the individual marine images for banner making, if so I'd like to have access in order to make more banners for the bread.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=el1Pco48ud0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The Geno Five-Two guys were at Warhammerfest and got the impression that the “7.5” rulebook was really just going to be 7th edition with as few changes possible. They don’t like that idea, but that’s the sense they got from whoever was giving the presentation – it feels very stopgap to them.

First for Fourth

I'm here breadanon. Didn't die but I'm working hard on my last days of uni. I'll make some new banners as promised

Please make "Horus Heresy" easy to see at thumbnail size.

Affirmative. Best of luck with your work dude.

Told you any changes would be for the worse. FW can't write rules for shit.
All I wanted was 8E's save rules reeeeeeeee

Are any of you going to try 8th edition for Horus Heresy games anons? I'm so fucking tired of 7th ed bullshit

>I'm so fucking tired of 7th ed bullshit
What part exactly?

Mostly done with 6 twin-claw Terminators, drybrushed and washed for maximum Slayer Sword.

No transport and at 2500 points they're gonna get rekt pretty quickly. Ah well, as long as The Enemy isn't destroying my Iron Havocs it's all good.

Psychic phase is absolutely absurd (I usually play against 40k armies so that counts). Also it's worth mentioning that 7E is impossible to teach to new players without making them bleed from most of their holes

Any ideas for the banners? I have a couple of ideas involving ultramarine and word bearer-posting and also some classic iron warrior and alpha legion memes. Suggestions?

SW/TS hypocrisy and/or retardation? Something with Sisters of Silence?

I'll at least give it a shot for shits and giggles. So far 8th is looking like it's actually well thought out, despite what all the shitposters keep saying.
Idk about him, but for me it's a lot of small things, small things that I've become increasingly aware of as rules for 8th are revealed. Transport rules, cover saves, barrage/blast weapons, there being 8million rules scattered across a few dozen different books (more of a 40k problem than 30k, but still an issue). Hell, even in HH alone, point costs for a number of units could use some work (i.e. make Tacs viable again), and there is everyone's love/hate relationship with Armored Ceramite. 7th isn't unplayably bad, but it is certainly bloated and doesn't run as efficiently as it could.

They look a little odd as a flat color, but if you wash and highlight those claws you'll be golden

Looking good man, make them some god tier bases with lots of mud and toxic shit specially made for the finest iron warrior taste

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the bleak paintjob but the claws, base, eyes and some of the hazard stripes need more work. A lot of that wasn't really visible after the drybrush, but really popped after I washed them.

Not sure on base theme though. Mud/trench is fairly common and might look nice with the slightly cool look they have, but I'm not sure yet.

>Hell, even in HH alone, point costs for a number of units could use some work (i.e. make Tacs viable again), and there is everyone's love/hate relationship with Armored Ceramite
FW could either pull 7.5E, keept to regular 7E or move to 8E and this would still be a problem they wouldn't solve. It'll always be "lol buy veterans".
Forever.
Or as long as AP3 artillery is that common and you need to bring Fast or Heavy special transports to move regular toops of 20.
Aka, always.

Nice mini, btw. Can we see more of that cape?Makes me want to edit them playing balalaikas with their claws.

Shameless request for an EC banner. Maybe Loyalists (perhaps with Rylanor and Tarvitz) on one side and Traitors (Fulgrim, Eidolon, and some Veeky Forums daemonettes) on the other.

Some more suggestions so I'm not full of shit: IWvsIF, Night Lords with one Guardsman in the middle, an Angelus hype banner, and if you're feeling crafty, maybe even a Mechanicum banner.

Now there's an idea... I'm not 100% sold on muddy bases, but with some green toxic sludge they could look good. Stirland mud with some Nurgle Rot and green wash on parts of the rot/mud?

Here you go, user :^)

I was thinking of getting a lot of different legion's marines looking at a SoS while the Emperor's Children look at Fulgrim's butt at the other side. Does that please you or is it a shitty idea?

Make some experiments first. I haven't tried anything like that as I just use Vallejo black lava, rocks, skulls and grey paint on them

It tickles my fancy

I'm a bit busy atm but I'll do my Dreadnought's base and post pictures later of how it turned out. Keep in mind that I usually skip the bases because goddammit, I just can't visualise and execute an idea on those fuckers.

All that's needed is a grenade change and possibly a psychic rework.

I could see multi grenades coming back, but psychics maybe not. We'll see soon enough.

Brother, your nails are faaabulous.

Probably they'll return to the old Ld checks for psychic power mechanic. Like how Sevatar's original rules were written.
Everything else will be unchanged and as broken as it was.

I was mostly looking forward to 8th because everything would have to be recosted and it might’ve fixed a lot of the units we don’t see often. And not just the units, but upgrades – they’re generally cheaper in Inferno and that’s not cool. It also would’ve removed the absurd difference between Monstrous Creature and Vehicle(Walker) – seriously, why is a Castellax so different to shoot at vs. a Dreadnought? Psychic powers are obviously a mess, I’m not in love with how reserves work, and I’ve never been in love with the AP* system.

On the other hand, I like 7th’s initiative to hit, morale rules, and the way FW kept 6th edition’s only-troops-score rule. That last one has a huge effect on the game and I hope they keep it no matter which edition’s rules they adopt.

Regarding the difference between MCs and dreads, I like that now (rather in 8E) both suffer decreased performance as they keep losing wounds, instead of MCs bring 100% fine and then dropping dead.

How do you guys like your tactical support squads?

I think I prefer Volkite Chargers over Flamers for a mobile squad; I'd give them chainswords as well. Not sure about plasma or melta because veteran squads can do it better (most of them have to take combi-weapons, but you get that veteran skill and they weren't likely to live long anyway).

For a static squad it's rotor cannons or volkite calivers, with the latter being obviously better. You can have twice as many shots at longer range if you take a heavy support squad with culverins, but you lose scoring and that's 335 points vs. 225 for a squad of 10. It's a lot less painful to lose the latter.

I like them with either flamers for piling up wounds, or with melta/plasma guns for crippling MEQ/TEQ squads and being almost guaranteed to chip away heavily at hordes/MC.

Problem is in my IW list, a lot of space is taken by Iron Havocs and Assault Terminators. In the future, I might drop some of them for more support squads, more dudes in the squads and a Rhino to shelter them from infantry weapons.

I shuffled around some points on my IW list, and switched out the smaller Iron Havoc squad for a maxed squad of Seekers. While the list is now far more vulnerable to Spartans and massed armour in general, I 1) wanted my Vigilator to have some friends and 2) liked the idea of the Seekers a lot. Seeing as my army fluff is that they're a probing assault/line infantry kind of Company, artillery is kind of eeh. For larger lists I add some more FA basically, to really hammer home the "find a weak spot and hold it until dedicated assault dudes show up" schtick.

HQ:
Legion Centurion, volkite charger
- 60 points
Legion Centurion, Legion Vigilator Consul
- 85 points
Elites:

Legion Terminator Squad, 10x Cataphractii Terminators, lightning claw on Sergeant, 2x Terminators w. heavy flamer & single lightning claw, 7x pairs of lightning claws
- 465 points
Apothecarion Detachment, 2x Apothecary
- 90 points
Apothecarion Detachment, 2x Apothecary
- 90 points

Troops:
Legion Tactical Squad, 20x Legionnaires
- 225 points
Legion Tactical Squad, 20x Legionnaires
- 225 points
Legion Tactical Support Squad, 5x plasma gun
- 175 points

Fast Attack:
Legion Seeker Squad, 10x Seekers, melta bombs on Strike Leader
- 260 points

Heavy Support:
Iron Havoc Support Squad, 10x Havocs, 10x lascannon
- 460 points
Iron Havoc Support Squad, 10x Havocs, 10x missile launcher, augury scanner on Sergeant
- 365 points

Wait, even the Terminators are on foot? Who's going to allow them to assault their units? I'd replace them with Siege Tyrants, personally. Two squads of five, one guarding the Havos and another walking right behind the tactical squads. Likewise, don't count on being able to use the Seekers' "Marked for Death" ability because the target will usually be more mobile.

>this kills the armor autists

Yeah, but that's a pre-Heresy army. By which I mean, pre-any Heresy-era models existing.

The Terminators are a combination of deterrent, bait and points fodder. I'm not super competitive and they look good.

Hasn't stopped them before.

I'd consider splitting them into two 5-man squads. Better odds of making it into combat, or at least spreading the deterrent effect.

Not sure I see the point of the Seekers. Are they really better than 5 Terminators, 20 Tacticals, or a Support squad?

What is there actually to hate about 30k Roboute? From the books I'm getting the impression he's really trying while everyone seems to be upset(jealous?) of or about him for some reason.

Especially after Calth and Nuceria he seems to be Punished Roboute.

Mostly it's that he was adopted by a wealthy and powerful family. Definitely had the easiest upbringing and was very close to his adoptive mother. Alexander the Great inherited his position too, so it doesn't guarantee you'll grow up soft.

Then we see Guilliman think he knows better than everyone else when he writes the Codex Astartes. It's entirely possible that he does, but that's not a move that makes friends. That's what kept him from being Warmaster - he didn't have the people skills that Horus had. Imagine him trying to tell Angron where to go next.

Oh, and he seemed a little too eager to build a new Imperium of his own.

But it's not the same hate as in 40k at all, with its terribly written Mary Sue fluff. This is just friendly ribbing.

well he wasn't eager to build an empire seperate from the Imperium, he was trying to build THE Imperium. He didn't have people skills with other primarchs because 17/20ths of the primarchs had even less people skills. Roboute was doing exceptionally well with regular humans. And Angron isn't really a good example, since in he was a braindead retard who didn't comprehend or care what the Great Crusade was even about, beyond bloodshed and slaughter.

Just downloaded The First Heretic to listen to on my commute to work tomorrow, lads. What should I expect?

>8e's core rules seem nice
>but the leaked army lists look like shit

>7.5 will probably be slapped together and the army books poorly proofread
>despite this, will likely be more balanced overall
>yet smaller communities and harder to expand/start multiple armies (plus it's like 3 factions)

Why can't we have FW just write everything with 8e core rules and vehicle facings? Pls?

Heresy

because you touch yourself at night

>tfw big guns never tire

but user, I only touch myself during the day

He was the logistics expert. The accountant. The nerd. The other primarchs were jocks. Of course they weren't going to like him.

If you mean that we, the players have a problem with Guilliman... I don't see it, other than bitterness from the UM getting too much attention in 40k that former players bring with them.

its always night somewhere user.

and slaneesh is always watching you...

Sexy.

How viable is a "Pride of the Leigon" list with Death Guard where I take lots of Death Shroud and use Crysos Morturg to infiltrate? Am I going to need transports for every group of termies I don't infiltrate? Or can I foot slog them while the infiltrated squads proceed to fuck shit up?

>Am I going to need transports for every group of termies I don't infiltrate?
If they're not shooty, yes.

First Heretic actually made me really dislike Lorgar where before I thought he was mildly ok.

I just found a youtube channel - complete with patreon - where a guy essentially reads out the lex and wiki entries on things, mispronouncing almost everything in a thick accent, while the videos just scroll though ripped art, and he has thousands and thousands of hits on each video.
Fuck this hhg, let's start a youtubes victimbucks ripoff scheme of our own.

Please share, this sounds like it's worth a listen.

And yes, please start an in-universe fake news channel. Report the Siege of Terra from Erebus's point of view.

It's called onemindsyndicate, he's knocked dozens of the things out in the last two months from the looks of it.

This wasn't nearly as funny as I thought it would be. I thought it would be intentionally bad but this is just stupid.

THE BIG GUNS NEVER TIRE

>Tfw you're the chaddest Chad to ever Chad but your logistician brother has to offer you the throne of his auxiliary empire or he ends up looking like a traitor, and you not only want to ditch everything and go to Terra to help the real Imperium, but can only wonder how Roboute skipped Rangdan and other important events because his main priority was to be the fall back plan. As if he knew this was going to happen.

This is my favourite HH lore channel. Done from the perspective of an in-universe chronicler. youtube.com/watch?v=el1Pco48ud0

I'd honestly say that ol' Robbie was the Preppy, and Perturbo was the Nerd (he even had bouts of nerd-rage).

Does he also just read out lex and wiki articles verbatim?

rob is the good nerd, pert is the bad nerd

Solar Aux question, was MaSade ever given a model?

If not I guess I'll just use pic-related?

Never mind, I checked, it's a bit of that but mostly reading out black book fluff over screengrabs of same. Better quality than the first and at least he isn't asking for money for reading out something someone else wrote over a slideshow of other people's pictures.

So far, just like every FW guard character no.

it bugs me, maybe they just don't find the idea interesting or worry they'll be too generic?

Nope, no model for him.

Eh, fuck it: I'll take any excuse to break out the Big M.

I don't think there's anything explicitly post-HH about his model, either.

the chest aquila isn't exactly kosher, but I guess that depends on how loose you consider the definition of "aquila"

Didn't Aevos Jovan get pic-related? I don't think he's a generic medicae (the Fabius Bile-esque stitched skull cap in particular).

Really? I thought it was a common symbol before, although the symbolism/interpretation changed after the HH.

>And Angron isn't really a good example, since in he was a braindead retard who didn't comprehend or care what the Great Crusade was even about, beyond bloodshed and slaughter.
He knew exactly what the Great Crusade was about: Exerting the Emperor's control over the galaxy as a whole, through force where necessary or expedient.

In a way he understood it better than the Primarchs.

Idk it's like listening to Boreale read a FW book, complete with all their writing cliches.
>Fuck this hhg, let's start a youtubes victimbucks ripoff scheme of our own.
How?

The aquila with upswept wings is how the Palatine Aquila is usually defined. The Emperor's Children were the only LEGION allowed to use it. No word on non-legionnaires.

It's likely that for a human to wear it he'd need one of the following:
a) the Emperor's personal favor, like if he did something noteworthy on one of the rare occasions when the Emperor was present as well, or
b) he's a pompous ass

Either one is fun and fluffy.

>Tfw you're the chaddest Chad to ever Chad

That does sum him up.

Chill. That's not a Palatine Aquila in the first place, just a regular Aquila.
And MaSade is described as wearing an ambulator frame, which is a life support exoskeleton like Kor Phareon's, if the name didn't give it away.
I love how, at his granddaughter'em funeral he declared the Agathon rulers' inaction as open treachery to the Emperor and gunned those fuckers down Punisher style.
He'd be good friends with Dorn.

>Chill. That's not a Palatine Aquila in the first place, just a regular Aquila.
What's the difference, if not the sweep of the wings?

Mostly the angle of the base and how it forms a diamond with protusions at the sides. Lots of straight lines.

>Chill. That's not a Palatine Aquila in the first place, just a regular Aquila.
that's why i said it depends on how loose you consider the definition of aquila

I'm an old hard liner, and 30k stuff with any aquila on the breast sets off a little autism alarm bell in my mind.

>Pre-Heresy Death Guard
>Mortarion is a daemon prince

I AMMM TRIGGERREEEEDDDDDD

For the record, before HH1 and HH4, how did you think Mortarion was like?
I'm going to tell you how I didn't think he looked like.
I didn't think he had a bathtub for a backpack.

>how did you think Mortarion was like?
Well, I thought he had a GODDAMN MASK!

This is best Mortarion.

This is the worst Primarch model by a mile. The weapon is super awkward looking and the pose is stupidly static.

Pride of the Legion is generally a fairly awful Rite of War. Do whatever you can to not play it because it has gigantic drawbacks.

The manner in which he pisses away Argel Tal and his most loyal legionaries is despicable. Selling thousands of people to daemons to sate your curiosity makes Horus look like Vulkan.

Why would Mentors trigger me?

>This is the worst Primarch model by a mile.
But user that's not Lorgar

Something about the legs on that model rubs me the wrong way. Not sure if it's the space-age armour with fucking exposed chainmail at the joints, or something off with the posing. Or both.

>The weapon is super awkward looking
Such are power scythes
>and the pose is stupidly static.
Because he's using a two handed weapon
That's why Fulgrim is jumping with a one-handed sword but Ferrus is swinging the hammer with both feet on the ground
Also, worst model is Lorgar.

No excuse. The armour Marks still existed in the lore. Convert or go the fuck home, faggots.

The coolest shit weapon is the pole-flail.

O boi.
This is like the Caedere weapons I read in my british science fiction.

Lorgar is a close second but nobody looks as bad as this goofy retard.

I like Lorgar's model

Looks very exposed because the underarmour was given detail. For other primarchs and characters bending their legs, there's only fold of a darker rubber-like undersuit beneath the armour.
Plus, chainmail seems to be the style they picked for the DG. Remember Mortarion made his armour on his own. Not that he needs it anyway, a Sallie blasted him with a meltagun once and his armour began to melt on him, so he bisected the offending marine.

really intelligent source right there