Not All New Cards Are Super Terrible Edition

Previously on /EDH/: >Commander 2017 Spoilers
mythicspoiler.com/c17/index.html

>Latest Commander Ban Announcement
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18588

>Latest MTGO Banlist Update
wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/160343614814/update-mtgo-commander

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread Question
Do you play any cards out of the new sets?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/aurelias-justice/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

White parallel lives.
I only managed to grab 2, I should probably grab another 4, since it's going to go up in price and I can't see myself not using it.

Amonkhet's gift to White

>Do you play any cards out of the new sets?

Throne of the God Pharaoh is fun. I want to build a Hapatra deck using cards like Nest of Scarabs.

>Thread Question
Simic Nissa and a few artifacts from Kaladesh.

>into every creature based strategy involving green ya go snek

snek is good

Won lots of pre-release games with this.

I only have 1 Recruiter. What deck do I put it in.
Selvala has more options, but Gahiji has slightly better effects.

>Do you play any cards out of the new sets?
New U/W commander has been fun I already had a U/W commander deck using ephara switched out the commander and probably 5 other cards and so far its been a blast.

So I have this idea for Aurelia control/MLD, what would be some good card draw in these colors?

This one has been excellent. Replaced Mind Spring as soon as it was released.

I feel Selvala just for the great curve of recruiter into oracle. That being said I don't know what equipment is run in Gahiji. If it's some high end shit then Gahiji.

>best 1 drop
should say "play on curve, give all creatures haste"

>MLD

Maybe just quit magic, come back in a couple years when you smarten up.

>dislikes MLD
>suggests you smarten up
ur dum cus i cant deal with it

You won't like hearing this but it may be best to build a new deck that has a naturally good match up against the kind of shenanigans hes trying to pull, rather than retrofitting your current deck with an assortment of random hate permanents.

I wonder what exactly you're trying to say.

That MLD is shit? Sure, you're right.

Or that you hate MLD? In which case you're a casual baby.

you dont rely on draw in these decks desu you sorta have to go all or nothing because you dont want to be wasting your turn 4 dropping an outpost siege or turn 5 dropping a mind's eye or turn 6 dropping a staff of nin
though if you were going to less of a straight MLD deck and just wanted to use a deck that could weaponize mld all three of those cards could see play

>boros
>card draw
Wheel effects are the closest you'll get.

Goblin Welder + sad robot, ichor wellspring, , origin spellbomb
Scroll Rack + Shuffle Effects(Land Tax, mycosynth wellspring, recruiter of guard, imperial recruiter, enlightened tutor, open armory, steelshaper's gift, stoneforge mystic, stonehewer giant, godo, fetchlands, Sunforger/TITHE)

Equipment: Sword of Fire/Ice, Infiltration Lens, Mask of Memory, SKULLCLAMP
Creatures: Mentor of the Meek, Quicksmith Genius, Bygone Bishop
Token Generators for skullclamp + Mentor of Meek: Brimaz, Monastery Mentor, Hanweir Garrison, Hero of Bladehold, Elspeths, Feldon of the Third Path, Kjeldoran Outpost, Kher Keep, Sword of Body/Mind, Captain's Claws, Batterskull, goblin rabblemaster, goblin assault, krenko, beetleback chief, siege-gang commander, kemba

Misc: Key to the City, Staff of Nin,mind stone, hedron archive, dreamstone hedron

>MLD is shit
What? It works fine. Tell me how it's a bad strategy.

i dont think thats what he was trying to say, he was asking the other user why he responded the way he did

How did I miss this? One drop for hidetsugu here I come

If you exclude artifacts completely, yes.
Also, in red you have a lot of "impulse draw" mechanics. But I don't particularly like using those. Pic related.

>want to mld
>can't mld cause other player have better mans
>finally get to smash
>countered
>try again
>esper float mana and make faiths reward
>kill mans next turn
>it not like Veeky Forums say
>it not like Veeky Forums say at all

>Snek
I fucking wish. Naga are bullshit.

Also, Wall of Omens & Oblation

Having a recursion package helps you get more value out of your stuff.Mistveil plains
Karmic guide
reveilark
Loyal retainers
Sun titan
Crucible of worlds
Sword of light and shadow

Do you mean run Mana Tithe as part of the Sunforger package?

He meant the card "tithe"

>counterspell arguments
Counterspells don't make MLD bad. Get a Grand Abolisher/Defense Grid if that's a problem

Yeah, it's the nurse's needle prick effect. People overreact based on concept alone. Of course getting proliferated to death with infect early in the game is frustrating, but it doesn't justify all the hate it gets.

>>Do you play any cards out of the new sets?

Got this going on in my Sidisi 1.0.
I also use the 5 mana Liliana.

this would have been fine if it functioned like Commune with Lava and let you use the cards until the end of your next turn.

>i suck really bad at magic
>it not like Veeky Forums say
>it not like Veeky Forums say at all
you do realize 100 card singleton decks usually arent that consistent and especially arent consistent to slam mld on turn 4 without thinking right? part of the fun is assessing the situation.

You missed the part about it being a narrow and not particularly impactful strategy with very real limitations.

What would be the best cards for a Sunforger package (other than Boros Charm, obiously)

depending on your meta this could be fun too

orim's thunder

Speaking of which, should I run Commune with Lava in my deck?

I feel like the Sunforger package is a fun way to customize your deck, since a lot of Boros requires redundant support cards. It's fun to experiment with it. Mine is currently Boros Charm, Enlightened Tutor, Oblation, Path to Exile, Return to Dust, Swords to Plowshares, Tithe, Wear//Tear
>not particularly impactful strategy
You get your commander out and then blow up everyone's mana. Your creatures should be better than their's in combat.

Looks like fun, might pick one up if it's cheap enough

Can you pay the kicker cost of a spell you tutor with sunforger?

its less than a buck less than 3 for a foil

Grab the Reins, Return to Dust, Chaos Warp, Abeyance/Silence, Oblation, Tithe, and Wild Ricochet are some that I use.

I don't think Boros has the mana to really support it. If you want to go with impluse draw, I'd go with since it has DS + Trample it would be a good Sword Holder even if you ignore that other ability. He also is one of Odric 2.0's best friends.

you get to cast the card for free then get the option of paying the extra red for the kicker effect
you just like you can bring to light for rite of rep and pay the kicker on that

yes you are allowed to pay additional costs (and must if they are required) such as kicker/buyback

you can't entwine or fuse however b/c that requires casting from hand

>entwine
>Entwine {2} (Choose both if you pay the entwine cost.)
are you sure about that?

my mistake, Entwine is allowed, but not Fuse

Just drafted this last week in conjunction with Regal Caracal. I'm quite excited to jam it into my trash-tier angel tribal deck.

I feel like a lot of people forget Orim's Chant is a great Sunforger target, it's straigh-up Silence with upside.

I would run it if the judge promo weren't $30

>Orim's Chant
holy crap regular foils are still 20 bucks

new counterspell for the deck too

Yeah it suddenly occurred to me to check the price and >$7, yee I kinda understand now. Is it played in Legacy?

apparently still used in some maverick decks in legacy
it might be still high because the card is still that powerful despite it not having a spot in the current meta
idk i got out of legacy years ago

I actually really like a lot of cards from the new set for edh.
Cards I personally use
>angel of sanctions
I know removal that goes away when the creature dies isn't usually great in commander but being able to recur it with embalm is nice.
Plus I really enjoy having an opponent's huge threat in exile while I'm working on my board so that my other opponents decide to hold off on their board wipes.
>vizier of many faces
clone effects are fun plus being able to do it twice in a game is also fun.
I also really like the embalm tokens.
>vizier of the menagerie
if you run green and creatures this is really nice.
>the bicycle lands fit into a lot of my decks and are fairly cheap
>a lot of the new artifacts are fun. some have already been mentioned but I'd like to add these as well.
>edifice of authority
>luxa river shrine
I play both in my zedruu deck because they give me some more life and protection and I can give them to another player who may be having a bad game or is getting unlucky or just being targeted for no reason to help them stabilize.

I mean nothing is really overpowered or broken but they have been some fun and that is what I play edh for.

That's nice that you enjoy them but they're still all shitty except the green cycle duals.

How does one play Sliver edu without being the target of "omg get him"?

I want to just play casual tribal with one of my favorite tribes but can't seem to shake public enemy #1. Do I just go full combo asshole and embrace the heat with sliver queen combo?

Not yet, but I am working on two Naya decks that'll use some. One using Samut, Voice of Dissent as a Commander which will appear to be Voltron (and can win that way) but mostly uses her as a Haste enabler for three or four Infinite combat combos, including Combat Celebrant and Kiki-Jiki. I really need a good alter for Samut first. I don't even care about the design, just the art man.

The other is a Mayael the Anima deck. Pretty straight forward, big beasties who either do something on ETB or while in Play. Vizier of the Menagerie would work pretty well, just give me a heads up if there's anything worthwhile on the top of my deck, plus a bit of Mana Fixing if Mayael has been hated off the field.

You find new players who don't know any better.

Forgot the image.

Better watch out user according to vizier is shit

That's pretty much what Slivers are. They're an exponentially growing threat that must be answered or they'll snowball out of control. No one wants to have to stare down 10 15/15 Slivers with Deathtouch, Lifelink, Trample, Vigilance, and Flying that can be tapped to destroy your creatures.

>find a way to protect your land as highest priority
>tutor for shroud/evasion sliver next priority

you are going to have to either ramp hard to assemble your wall and then combo or need to do it all in one turn, gonna have to use maximum chrasima to get them not to All attack and target you, or you can fient stupidity by baiting out removal key parts of combo and use reanimation shinaigans

That is correct.

How? It's a far cheaper Garruk's Horde without revealing what's on the top of your Library to everybody, plus it's some pretty good Mana fixing for creatures.

>How does one play Sliver edu without being the target of "omg get him"?
play in a group of equally high powered decks, I find that slivers get btfo'd by the first board wipe then lose or stick the indestructable sliver then win
your meta should be shooting for a sub 10 turn win for every deck then it will all be pretty similar

>samut
the bottom half of that card is more repulsive than that horrible art desu

I personally think it's great that's why I mentioned it. That user just said it's shit just to say it is shit

Let me elaborate I guess.

It's a four drop removable turn-delayed draw spell that only draws creatures, reveals what you draw and telegraphs your impactful plays.

At its absolute best it's an okay draw spell for its cost with some restrictions, somewhere in the middle it's a decent source of CA when left alone, and at its worst you get eliminated because you revealed the wrong threat on top.

It's just a better Kalemne that enables Haste and can Untap a creature as need be. Boring yes, but it's not bad.

just take this art

>It's just a better Kalemne

It is shit card design and blatant pandering to EDH/Commander.

Are you saying she's a dead fish?

Does silence/orim's chant stop a spell in its tracks when you cast in response? Like countering a spell?

It doesn't reveal what you draw, spurglord.
It also fixes, which is very important for 3+ colors.

>things go swimingly
>something is fishy here
>u can tune a piano but cant tune a kalemne

Threw Harsh Mentor into my RW deck since half of my playgroup seems to think any life point aside from the first one matters.

Nope, you're looking for Render Silent in that situation.

No since the spell has already been cast.

>>u can tune a piano but cant tune a kalemne

>cant tune a kalemne

Whoops, always forget that.

But if your metric for good is that it mana fixes in green I'm going to have to disagree.

It's not a control deck, but maybe my list will give you some ideas. I generally do pretty well in games and it's a lot of fun to play whether I win or lose.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/aurelias-justice/

let me counter these points
>4 drop
it's edh and in green you are very likely to get this out on turn 2
>removable
it is edh not modern. most removal in edh gets around basically everything. Using dies to removal only matters if bolt or fatal push is heavy in the format.
>reveals what you play
did you read the card?!?! it says you may read it. it says YOU may read it. it doesn't say reveal it or play with the top card of your deck revealed.
>completely ignores color fixing
okay yeah if you are running mono green then it probably doesn't matter too much but if you are running 2,3,4, or 5 colors it does make an impact.

Maybe you should read the card next time before you claim a card sucks.

>tuned kalemne
>its just boros meh stuff
ur fac is Benis :DDD

If you are playing 3 or 4 color, then being able to cast it entirely off of Cradle is very important, because you should have better things to do with your fixing.

Cool deck. With that many noncreature spells (I think 44?) A monastery mentor would be a nice addition. A Nykthos would also be something to consider.

How have I never seen that card before?

Instant speed plus cycling. I feel its a good addition to my removal suite.

yeah boi

Awww did I hurt your waifu hole?
awww poooor thiiiing

Ingot chewer & Flamerush Rider are the only bits of Kalemne-related tech I've found

I might have to consider MM. I also just got a SoWaP and I'm thinking about adding it to the deck as well. It's by no means a perfect deck, but it does good work in my group. Helps that I am stupid lucky when I comes to drawing the cards I need.

And if your point is that a card is good because it synergizes with Cradle of all things I'm going to continue to disagree with your definition of the word good.

>gets out turn 2
Then it would be vastly better as a Harmonize.
>removal doesn't matter
It very much does when it can't do anything if it dies, unlike Ponder.
>>>>color fixing as a huge plus
>>>>>green

It was said in earlier threads, but even her namesake card is a garbage fire

I can't see any situation where the creature hurts you instead of helping, even considering green is the best color at mana fixing.

Yeah I was wrong on that point, I remember doing the same thing at prerelease because the last three times they made this effect it revealed.

The only conceivable negative is that the opponents recognise a slow on-board value engine and decide to focus you, which isn't really an argument.