Human's place in your setting

What do humans do in your setting that other races don't? Here are a few things unique to mine:

>Humans are the only creatures to be obsessed with recreating their own likeness. Dolls for instance are a uniquely human invention, as well as the art of humanity has humans as one of its center points throughout the ages. Other races feel no similar compulsion to recreate themselves by any means other than breeding and find humanity's obsession with representations of themselves disturbing.

>Similarly humans are the only species with an 'uncanny valley' effect of others that look close to them but not quiet. This seems to be tied in some way with humanity's obsession with recreating themselves.

>Halfbreeds often are scorned by mainstream human communities, as they fall under this uncanny valley reaction.

>Human's have a better lung capacity and louder voice than nearly every other race.

>Humans are very good at single minded repetitive tasks. Other races, such as dwarves, have natural talent with certain crafts, but humans have a single minded persistentness that allows them to devote an entire lifetime to a single craft, or even a single piece of art/craftsmanship.

Post yours and rate others.

>What do humans do in your setting that other races don't?
existing

>Humans are the only creatures to be obsessed with recreating their own likeness
That's pretty neat. So Dwarves have no works of forgecraft or stonework that resembles themselves and Elves have no paintings and stained glass windows of themselves? Are necromancy, golemancy, and some forms of animation uniquely human magics?

Humans are a rare sight in my setting, being half breeds of elves and dwarves. They don't have their own race or extensive civilization or customs, instead living in the shadow of their parent societies.

There's nothing they do that other peoples can't, but every human in the setting is a special snowflake all their own.

Largest penis-body size ratio.
Best throwers.
Good endurance.

Just real life shit.

my man

The creation of magical constructs is not uniquely human. However most others make specific constructs for a task rather than ones shaped like themselves.

Necromancy is uniquely human, others don't generally have a desire to practice the raising of the dead, or at least have no natural inclination or talent.

We are obsessed with naming things after ourselves
We name towns, people, country's, units of measurement, entire branches of science, etc... after ourselves

10/10, good to see someone else who doesn't need 2 dozen different snowflake races to make an interesting setting.

>copying what elves and dwarves do
>if not, inventing steam machines
>establishing democracies and republics
>best stamina
>establish organized religion
>see the future
>still "create" gods

>tfw only have six races
>tfw they follow distinct theme
I don't think it's a bad thing.
Note, there are no elves, dwarves, or orcs among the lot

>ONLY six
>ONLY

this is the problem with modern rpg players

Fantasy setting in which the World was ruled By a lower god (supreme beings who have physical Form and desires) until humans arrived in a Huge Armada of airships and blew that fucker to pieces.
Now humans hover over the Rest of the World and try to "civilize" it, so that the World can Prosper.

Humans are clearly more advanced in every way than the Rest of the species in My setting, but live By a really strict Code that ensures stability of their twisted society. They represent absolute Order and a benevolent rule.

They also Use Bits of the god they killed to cast magic.

Humans: Uniquely individual. Capable of selflessness or selfishness. Rest of the galaxy puzzled by them as a result. Hard to pin down as a race due to their fractious political/ideological backgrounds. A small but important wild card in interstellar politics. Large number of mercenary groups. Fond of space elevators. Willing to fuck damn near any alien they come across. Holds the current record for shortest interstellar war.

And why is less inherently better? That makes no real sense.

It was more a jab at Pathfinder/DnD players who have like 12 different races in the PHB, but that's not enough so they eagerly await splatbooks and Unearthed Arcana articles and playable monster-race books so they can have more... because how can you possibly make an interesting character if you're not playing some race nobody else has ever played before and trying to shove them and their history into established settings that are already way too bloated?

because his opinion is inherently literally objectively superior to yours

people with no imagination are no different whether they play D&D, GURPS, SHadowrun, WoD or anything else

Reproduction. Elves and Dwarves are almost extinct because they've been finite since creation, even if all of them have lived since then.

No single cultural thing is completely unique to any race in the setting I'm working on since culture transmits fairly easily, although there are tendencies and preferences of course.

Biologically speaking, humans have the best thermoregulation system, they sweat a lot more and take a lot longer to get heatstroke and recover better from it.

Humans also tend to have better hand eye coordination for throwing or shooting, thus human armies tend to have a larger proportion of ranged troops and humans favor ranged combat in general, and this tends to reflect in their legends and myths, but I wouldn't call it a unique trait of humans.

I'm working towards a more cosmopolitan society with this setting.

Setting quality is in no way related to amount of races.

Human-only settings have their own sets of problems and cliches.

Because then you are forced to play the only thing he likes.

did you click the wrong post? 'cause I never argued for human-only

All my races specialize in a certain type of magic, with humans being the best at channeling the power of raw arcane energy. They also are famous for the plurality and size of their religious system, and the efficiency that it grants them in assimilating conquered populations.

Aesthetically, they're not!Roman, and rely heavily on supplementing their military with the mercenaries of other nations and races

The first sentence applies to you.

Also, do make the distinction between setting races and playable races. It helps avoid strawmen.

You are confusing me. I agree with you, but why you replying to me?

I suppose I missed your sarcasm then, it's hard to tell on Veeky Forums sometimes.

Hello Harrison

>Guyman Peopleperson, humancer extraordinaire, born in Humantown, Humania

Humans play the role of orcs in my setting.

Not exactly original, but I like it. They're the young, half starved race that raids and fight all the time, worshiping angry gods and all that.

Magic.

Humans are the only natural race that's inherently magical.

all "pure" humans in my setting are black, since every other environment than the savannah was already inhibited by other humanoid folk

That's not really an explanation nor a justification.

There's many possible reasons why we have varied skin colours, but a simple Founder Effect is among the most likely.

I have almost the same thing. Only the fae are magical by nature but they're nearly extinct so humans are really the only ones able to wield magic.

Humans have great endurance and high natural magic resistance. Their practice of magic tends toward subtle manipulations rather than flashy effects for this reason. They're rather insular, living in remote places, and are not often seen unless something important is about to happen. Despite this their presence feels utterly natural; it is not known whether this is a racial property or simply a commonly-used spell. They hate the shit out of fae and will kill them on sight whenever possible.
Most inhabitants of the world are elves.

>They are the only known race to worship the 7 aspects. All other races who have tried have became fried.

>They are the only known race to have figured out how to use the life force of others in magic instead of the caster themselves.

>They are one of the few races to lack innate magic. Nor are they inherently bound to any divine beings.

>Humans are considered soulless automatons who can barely feel the faintest of emotions

>Humans are also the only species that can be effectively enslaved, the other either quickly die from stress or will fight to death to escape no matter the odds

Produce milk

They are the only species which question themselves. Even if dwarfs, elves and hobgoblins cant put it into words, they know what they are, racially speaking.

Humans don't. It is like they have an existential void to fill, and in doing so went in all directions instead of staying true to their nature as other races do. The "jack-of-all-trades" aspect comes from this.

Other races' philosophers spend more time trying to figure out humans than their own races, specially those humans which try to emulate elves, dwarfs etc to define themselves.

The overall historical effect was one of greater instability but also more dynamic than non-human civilizations.

Individually, there isn't much difference. The average human doesn't actually understands this difference consciously. They have a drive to be something, while an elf has a drive to be elven. The individuation process during adolescence is troublesome just for humans.

When the Ur-race was desintegrated, each fragment had a small portion of its original set of abilities. Humans descend from the fragments which didn't get anything.

Sci-Fi setting. Pretty much all other species see humans and go "Aww, wook at them! Poor little dears. I'll give them an ion capacitor just to help them out. They probably don't know what that is! Who's a good human! Yes you are!" Basically a combination of pity and novel wonder as humans appear to be a much tamer and more amiable race than well... The humans that came before them.

The pity thing comes from humans being one of the least populous races in the galaxy. They could have slightly larger numbers upon their inception into the galactic republic except a bunch of once human scientists that had a few hundred years head start came and glassed their own former species to humble them before introducing them to the Republic.