How do you pronounce Lich?

How do you pronounce Lich?
I've been saying "ch" like "charmed" for years. I just heard it pronounced "Lihk" though, like lick with a subtle exhale before the k. I'm questioning who I am, what year it is. Please help.

Other urls found in this thread:

dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/lychgate
dictionary.com/browse/lich?s=t
enworld.org/forum/content.php?151-D-D-Pronunciation-Guide
youtube.com/watch?v=sJmHuNPclMQ
sageadvice.eu/2017/03/29/how-do-you-pronounce-the-name-acererak/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Pretty sure the accepted is sounds like it is spelled. I've never heard anyone say it any different.

Like bitch, but with an 'L'.

>sounds like it is spelled
There is no such thing in English.

Lick so

dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/lychgate

Lych (or Lich) is the old saxon for corpse - and you get Lychbells, Lychways, Lychowls etc.

you can hear it here: dictionary.com/browse/lich?s=t

its the ch sound

It's funnily enough "like", like in lycanthrope.

Speaking of liches, how in the fuck do you pronounce Acererak?

Litch, as in "ditch". Leesh, in my actual, non-English games

So you pronounce it like "lichen"? :y

Lich is derived from the German word "Leiche" (corpse).
Therefore, you pronounce "Lich" as you would in widerlich (disgusting).

Google translator knows how to pronounce it

Although that link does note that similar words in other languages do actually have the 'lick' pronunciation or a variation, so at a glance that seems like the most likely explanation for why some people are pronouncing it that way.

ass-er-er-ack
ace-re-rack

Ask-rack

Ace-sir-ir-rack

A - like uh
Cere - like Sare-nrae
Rak - like a coat rack

I'm calling them ass-cracks from now on

Laze-gun

or

Lass-gun

Neither. A as in Apple, hard Z. Lazgun.

LASER is an acronym and doesn't have a z in it, so I just pronounce it like I imagine the guardsmen would not knowing it's origin.

>ceasar
>kaiser

uh-SARE-ur-ack

uh (rhymes with duh)
SARE (rhymes with stare)
ur - (rhymes with blur)
ack - rhymes with back)

I say Lazgun because it's easier to say than Laze-gun

ayy-nus

It has multiple arguments based on origins and other things, but I suggest you pronounce it in the common way, like bitch with an L. This is because if you pronounce it any other way you're going to constantly have to explain why you're probouncing it strangely and always explain why actually you're right, which will make people not like you. You gain nothing, and languages evolve over time anyway. Pronounce it like a normal person. Otherwise you're an autist

Lich rhymes with itch and bitch. It's Old English, a language that palatalized c's from k —> ch in certain environments. Anyone who pronounces it as "like" is a linguistic ignoramus.

The one that triggers my autism, though, is kobold. So many gamers say "koh-bald" and make me want to slap them. No; there are two acceptable pronunciations, "ko-bold" (sounds like cobalt) with two long o's, that's reasonably close to the German; and the proper English, "cobb-uld" (sounds like cobble or goblin). Nowhere is "bald" an appropriate part of that pronunciation, whether you like your kobolds scaly or furry.

Ah, so like:

ˈlJtʃ.ɡeJt/

How tremendously useful.

hear that, OP?

ˈlJtʃ

Crazy bastard

But "koh-bald" and "cobalt" are pronounced the exact same way, save for the d/t

I used to say a-seh-reh-rak but the WotC staff have confirmed it's a-seer-ak

Like "bitch" with an L.
I live near a town called Lichfield and that's how it's pronounced in the name.

enworld.org/forum/content.php?151-D-D-Pronunciation-Guide

There. A comprehensive and rather extensive collection of pretty much every term that needs a pronunciation guide for D&D.

But there's only one origin.

I meant origins and also arguments for language evolving over time, standard english pronunciations, all that kind of stuff. It depends on what linguistic theory you subscribe to. Yeah, there's only one origin

Where's the line between "language evolving over time" and "you picked it up from someone who was wrong"?
I mean this seriously - I tutor kids for standardized tests and a lot of the English stuff is less filling an ignorant void with knowledge and more removing misinformation.
its a meme at this point, but I do always use "could vs couldn't care less" as my example because it illustrates how 1) it makes sense why it's wrong as soon as you think about it for even a second and 2) most people don't realize its wrong because they somehow get the meaning innately

>Doesn't understand IPA

Back to grade school. Unless you're a burger, in which case you'll never get better.

ˈlJtʃ
'l is an unaspirated 'L' sound
J is kind of like a 'Y' sound but closer to a short 'i' in this case
ʃ is a 'sh,' but with a t in 'tʃ' it becomes 'ch'

So the best way to pronounce Lich in English based on Saxon is 'lych' not 'llich' or 'likh'

The problem is that the reason old english isn't correct is that invaders and settlers spoke the language wrong and those wrong bits were picked up my their mixed children over time. It's not like that's any different now. Where do you draw the line in time?

Lazgun just rolls off the tongue better. If someone could find an audio clip of Frank Herbert saying the word the debate might be settled.

Essentially what I'm saying is that, like with lich, if you pronouncing it "right" is beginning to affect your ability to communicate ith the majority of people, then you should probably just give it up

Say Lich as written. Fuck the artifacts of oulde languauge.

>be black
>work with mostly black people
>make a "wretched hive of scum and villainy" reference offhand
>coworkers wonder why I, an articulate person, pronounced "ratchet" wrong

>be old english monk
>talking to dane trader about our many beek
>dane doesn't understand
>point them out
>"oh, you mean books?"

These immigrants need to learn how to properly speak english

Also, if they think you were trying to say ratchet, they're probably the wrong people to try and reference star wars to

Acer-re-rack

>Where's the line between "language evolving over time" and "you picked it up from someone who was wrong"?
There is none. That is exactly how language evolves.

Maybe, but most of our casual conversations boil down to comic books, anime and video games, so they're actually the best group for it.

Oh, well that's really weird that they didn't recognize that or the word wretched then

not naturally though, only from outside influence.

modern iranian children can read the original Legend of Gilgamesh because their language has remained identical over the years wheras with english, even shakesperian english gets some eyebrows at times

Not him, but english has changed from within too though. Like how a certain style of speaking became popular with the aristocracy after english settlers left for the colonies, leaving american english and british english way different just from native speakers

Pronounced identically to "like"

Lichens are pronounced like-ins, not litchins. Don't say "litch" because you will sound stupid.

It's closer to rich than lichen. Comparing a two syllable word that has 2 extra letters is worse than comparing it to one that has the same syllable count and is only one letter off

>Danes
>Immigrants
More like invaders, I tell you one day they'll try to push their shitty "religion" in the days of our week

Yeah that's bullshit about Iranian, same as saying every Indians know sanskri or the oh so popular "People in Island still speak old norse !"

'scone'

Laz, like the Z in Zoo

Es-kaw-ooo-knee

its spelled lich, but its pronounced throat-warbler-mangrove

Lich is natively English and lichen is of Greek origin, you dipshit.

So what you're saying by calling me a dipshit is that I was right to say they shouldn't be compared? Or is it just that you can't read

[citation needed]

>sounds like it is spelled
>There is no such thing in English.

Except for the hundreds of words that do sound like they are spelled. Including the word "no", which you just used.

>How do you pronounce Lich?
It rhymes with witch. See: youtube.com/watch?v=sJmHuNPclMQ

underrated post

pic related

also it's said with a hard Ch sound, blame the Saxons

from the depths of my hard drive it's summoned

>tfw my surname is old saxon for corpses

>image
Except gh only sounds like that at the end of a word. And ti has to be followed by a vowel.

>I don't understand graphotactics: The Image

>not naturally though, only from outside influence
Wrong through and through.
>modern iranian children can read the original Legend of Gilgamesh
Are you insane?

It's pronounced 'lychee'.

'hat'

Why would no sound nou instead of noh? There's no reason. Because ghoti.

Gilgamesh is not even persian holy shit even if the rest of you uneducated statement was correct, and it's not, this could not stand. Nobody capable of knowing that the tale of Gilgamesh exists should be that ignorant.

Doesn't sound how it's spelled because there's no mainstream way to spell anything in english. Most language have exceptions. English doesn't because there's no rule and everything would be an exception.

Why isn't the a in hat pronnounced like in cake? When you teach the abc to kids, a sounds like in cake, not hat.

akkadian and old persian are not the same language

Spot the autist children. It's very easy. Spot the person that neither realizes that english mutates and changes over time, based on what people like to hear. Laugh at the twit that doesn't realize that until very recently, languages, especially the English language, wasn't standardized. It was the job of the reader to understand the different spellings and perhaps even pronunciations that the writer put down.

For example, ask William Shakespeare how to spell his name? I believe he did it 3 different ways. HIS FUCKING NAME. So the greatest playwright in recent history would have failed an English test because he could not stick to one way to spell his name.

Now who the fuck is dysfunctional and ignorant? The Autist.

Where does all these people who think english is so incredible and so difficult to pronounce and shit come from ? I mean every languages have quirks and difficulties as well as rules and exceptions, but english really is one of the easiest one.

How is it possible to be this retarded?

Couldn't just google it, could you?
sageadvice.eu/2017/03/29/how-do-you-pronounce-the-name-acererak/

Threads like this make me appreciate having a normal language.

Here's how to differentiate a normal language from a crazy language: if your language has, in any country where it's official, a SPELLING COMPETITION, and if the same words literally have opposite meanings (biweekly), it's not a normal language.

t. European butthurt that his language didn't conquer the world

self-hating white americans

>Pretty sure the accepted is sounds like it is spelled.

uh-SĔR-er-rak

>laze
>lass
both shit
I prefer
>lazz

>Lichens are pronounced like-ins, not litchins.

Are you fucking retarded? Yes. Yes they are pronounced "litchins".

Do you think the word mosses is pronounced "mouses"?

I don't get it, why is she mad?

Litch

Nah I'm quite pleased English is the world language, it being so simplified and all compared to actual languages where you may express complex ideas.

Still way better than most Asian languages that have 3,000+ characters, if you want to talk about not having a normal language then that's where the bar should be set.

>How do you pronounce Lich?

same as laois

Because it could either be "sayj" as in the plant, or "sah-geh" which is a shortening of the Japanese word, sageru, and is used on 2chan, (and by extension, Veeky Forums), to reply to a thread without bumping.

100% this.

Ass
air
er (like sir)
rock

Most emphasis on the last and first syllable.

>2) most americans don't realize its wrong
FTFY, everyone else says couldn't

I always did it " Ass-er-air-rack"

Soft ch (or a sharp sh) like you. The guy who pronounced it with a k was probably a Mount Stupid dweller who knows the word's etymology in a proto-germanic word pronounced lih-ka or lih-ga but does not realise that the old english lic on which it is directly based is pronounced with a soft ch. That or he had an accent, a lot of dialects including many german ones frequently pronounce hard chs.

Zaa croola lisha!

I.

>As you enter the room you see a fountain. There is a leak in the fountain.
>Okay I guess I go stick my finger in the leak, haha!
>Okay...? Alright, it attacks you for a blah blah damage.
>What! How can a leak attack me? Let me see that! ... That's pronounced "Lich"
>Ooooooh. Nevermind.

Either this is bait or your age is in single digits