New Cards Leaked

We have new cards. Starting the thread with what I think it's the most impressive: A FUCKING THREE MANA WRATH (with a huge downside, but still).

Source is from Wizard itself. Not sure if this was a fuckup or not:

magic.wizards.com/fr/event-types/standard-showdown

And indeed, Samut is the new Walker.

Magnificent, it's even uglier than her first card.

And here is the big dick dragon himself.

It's strong as fuck. Not viable for Standard I think, but Commander playes will be overjoyed.

Dat boardwipe. Muh dicc

That... that CANT be real...

Is wizards purposely including the aesthetically challenged as part of a minority reach out now?

Why not? It's powerful but unplayably expensive, as per the previous Bolas.

WE

PLEASE let it be real!

Is grixis tron viable with this?

7 mana and it doesn't win you the game on the spot. Honestly I'd be shocked if this saw play in our current aetherworks meta (outside of aetherworks obviously).

Great, she's gonna join the gatewrath now is she...

COOLDOWN CONFIRMED HOLY SHIT

Holy shit I forgot about Aetherworks.

It seems the deck will not go away when Ulamog rotates now

And the rest, stop talking about Samut's uglines and focus on the wrath, dammit.

Is this gonna make Black/Something control viable and perhaps a little too powerful? I'm seeing a 3 mana-wrath into 5-mana wrath as a control strategy.

It seems to give Zombies quite the headache, as well as any other Aggro strategies.

Oath of Samut

"For everyone else who was kangs, I'll keep watch"

>Up to one target creature

3 mana wrath where you can't rebuild on the next turn seems bad. There's a decent bit of graveyard recursion so it could slot into zombies, maybe, but I don't find it likely.

It's so you can +1 on an empty board

It's so you can gain loyalty when there are no creatures on the battlefield.

The card number of the RG card is higher than the card number of the UBR card.

In Conflux, the card number of a RG card was lower than the card number of the UBR card.

Unless they have changed the color ordering for the purpose of numbering cards, it's fake.

>It's strong as fuck
>Not viable for Standard I think

pick one

As an aggro player, I can't think of anything more disastrous than getting wiped in the third turn. It's usually when you start to really amass your creatures for a lethal turn 4 or 5.

Why would there be fake cards on Wizard's french site?

it's weak for standard but playable in longer running formats where games can reach the point where 7 mana is less than half of your manabase

Reaching seven mana is hard on Standard which is usually a midrange format.

I did forget about Aetherworks Marvel though

>The card number of the RG card is higher than the card number of the UBR card.

What? Multicolor cards are ordered alphabetically.

This sure gonna rustle all of Wizards jimmies.
Maro gon' cry himself to sleep several nights in a row.
Serves them right for leftist ideology pandering.

>unplayably expensive
Calling /edhg/!

And they're probably making 2 Bolas, one for planeswalker decks too. Otherwise they're retarded.

it was on the french version of the Wizards website

it's about as real as bigfoot TV shows

>As an aggro player, I can't think of anything more disastrous than getting wiped in the third turn. It's usually when you start to really amass your creatures for a lethal turn 4 or 5.

I would give a shit if aggro was good in any format. But it's not.

When did Wizards forget how to top-down design cards? There's nothing about this clusterfuck that says "Bolas" to me except it's grixis and does generic strong effects.

This was a retarded mechanic since its inception.

>What is Modern

Also RW Humans is a decent deck, 2 tix Red is not bad, and Zombies is technically Aggro no?

maybe in france.

>has the deal 7 damage from his previous pw card
>fucks with the opponent's hand like his creature card
>looks at the top of a player's deck like augur of bolas

>Taking cards from your opponent
Bolas

>Hand Disruption
Bolas

>Hitting people for 7
Bolas

>Permanent removal
Bolas

Zombies is solidly midrange.

Don't forget, the 7 damage is a reference to Bolas being a 7/7 originally.

Please design a top-down Bolas planeswalker card that isn't a copy of the previous Bolas planeswalker. Your complaint is a fucking ridiculous one.

So cooldown guy was right all along?

I'm not from france you dingus.

I suppose it's a bit muddy but I see your point, I guess.

Why does he need another card?

Because the model of MtG relies on new cards being made and it would be a hideous disappointment in the eyes of everyone if there wasn't a new card expressing Bolas in a different fashion?

Because he's the star of the new block. But it doesn't matter if he needs a new card or not. The challenge is to make a Bolas planeswalker card that is top down.

There's going to be another Bolas for the Archenemy set too.

I wasn't disappointed by Yawgmoth not getting a card back in the day.

Why haven't they just kept printing Alpha for the past twenty years?

Nah, Archenemy has zero reprints.

>Archenemy Bolas
Speaking of it
SPOILERS WHEN

Read.

You could start with giving him his signature touch of madness.

Zero new cards* I mean. They're all reprints. I need to wake up a bit before posting.

Planechase had zero new cards until it didn't.

Because they're jews and there are other characters in the franchise other than Bolas? No character should have more than 2 cards at most.

No there isn't. It's going to be old Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker

>Bolas planeswalker card that is top down.
Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker
Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh

I do think that the Bolas card should have been less generic Bolas and more "God-Pharoh", and interacted more with the set's themes.

What do you think exiling cards from someone's hand is?

No. You'd need to run too many filter rocks.

You need one

They also could have tried to make him at least Standard playable.

they've been teasing bolas since gatewatch, people would be pissed if he didn't have a card in a set centered around him.

and you=/= the majority of fans

Maybe quit while you're behind? It's probably a nice day outside, get away from the computer before you get mad bro.

What if she's totally into being Bolas chosen?

I don't know, in a way Bolas was never what Amonkhet people thought he was. I think it's flavourful for him to remain exactly who he was, it kinda shows how the whole thing was just a project for him.

Isn't Arlen Cord a 4 mana r/g walker with more interesting abilities in standard right now?
Exiling cards from everyone's hands and then exiling all their stuff! I'm glad I decided to make Bolas Edh.

>What if she's totally into being Bolas chosen?
>Black character
>Loves being a slave

You know why that can't happen, user.

A far cry from "discard your hand"

Wew lad. What a fuck up on Wizards part.

Samut get the Walker card...and its a GR walker. AGAIN. Ffs

yes and see she like no play that samut is pure Kiora level trash 3$ walker

that card is Bolas as hell, what are you talking about. It's Bolas with an exile theme. Take your opponent's creatures, destroy your opponent's stuff, blow up their hand, burn their stuff. That's pretty much all the major notes of Bolas' mechanical identity.

Say marvel DOES pick up nicol bolas and he sees reasonable play, what price do y'all think New bolas will hit?

5$ because neither of these things is gonna happen

I'm a bit sad for Bontu...

She's fine, she's indestructible

It was a hypothetical, I'm aware he won't see play

I have no idea how good that wrath is, which is really interesting. Probably it's good though. Obviously it's a powerful effect.

Samut seems like hot garbage and completely unplayable. Seriously, how much BS is that + ability?

Bolas is good, obviously, as a control finisher and is a reason to play UBR control. If you want to be playing that deck, you're probably going to want to play Bolas. But I'm not sure he's where you want to be in Marvel. He certainly has less board impact coming in than Ulamog does, and I think a lot of the time if you flip him with Marvel all you're getting is the 7 damage. Which isn't *bad* but

Looks like solid 4 drop for standard, but Ulamog fills that spot better

All she ever wanted was for senpai to notice her.

>4 drop
But Bolas cost 7 and Ulam...
Oh. OH. That's clever

regular fucking algonquin round table here

Pound for pound, far better than that, though. What a shit spell.

Also, heard somewhere that Wizards has been losing money since OGW. I don't wanna say it's because of the shit stories they've been telling recently, but it seems like this recent standard has been unbearable.

I get that it's a nod to past Bolases, but it still bothers me just a little that he has three abilities that exile and one that doesn't.

BAN MARVEL
A
N

M
A
R
V
E
L

>+2
Strips away the memory of the opponent before snatching one of their spells - or allies - and claiming it as his own.
>+1
Dismissively carves out the thoughts of his opponent without a thought.
>-4
He's a fucking dragon and breathes fire all over your balls, of course you're going to take 7 damage.
>-12
Literally the Hour of Devastation where everything is transformed into a clean slate.

I'm sorry if you expected his + abilities to be shit like "opponent discards his hand," "you gain control of target creature" and so on but even Nicol Bolas needs to be balanced.

This is retarded.

At least Samut is kinda bad.

Chain veil reprint when?

>unplayably expensive
>7

>heard somewhere that Wizards has been losing money since OGW.
I can't speak for Wizards, but my local shop is in the highest tier of Magic shops according to them (I dunno much about the ranking system, I barely play myself). This shop's Magic sales over the past 4 months were HALF of what they were over the same time period last year. Standard flat-out doesn't fire, 2 people will show up for drafts, etc. If not for Modern they wouldn't be keeping up with Wizard's criteria to maintain their status.

This. He's a fine card as a finisher really, and nicely balanced.
He's about as potent as he needs to be. The flavor is all there too.
Let's also be real about that mindfuck touch of his, it's a relic of shitty old storytelling.

Yes the new storytelling has shittyness too but at least we're not forced to use Samut because she's too strong not to use.
I'm still holding out for decent story stuff around Bolas.

If he was just 7, that would be one thing.

4UBR is another.

So what does this imply storywise?
Bolas comes back to fuck shit up, the Gods rebel against him or are with him? I'm not sure

The fact that I was actually able to play and finish a prerelease event concerns me. Usually, I have to leave at midnight, claim my zero packs, and hear about the sick wins my friends scored the day after.

I actually finished one. Player attendance was just that low.

I know a few people generally selling out of magic since they just didn't enjoy it, and me and my friend mostly just poke fun at the new shit now. I was on board for the cool aesthetics and story stuff, and since they see interesting settings pulling on obscure material as a mistake (Kamigawa's story was pretty much binned by MaRo with a 'What a travesty, guess we won't be doing anything like that again! Theros will be much more interesting and familiar to players overall!')...

Well, also considering that we've had the same 'revolution' storyline happening over and over again recently (if you count the B-plot in Gatecrash, and Theros), my heart just isn't into it.

>what if she's totally into being Bolas chosen
You don't really believe that do you? That is some wishful thinking

Look at where the Jactice Orgy story is goin, along with the one per block thing...

Seems most likely that Bolas returns because Samut's spark ignites, she says "Fuck off" and decides to fight Bolas. The Gatewatch pitches in with Samut vs. Bolas and the Gods.

Bolas returns because the suns are aligning and he's supposed to return.

If you use that land in combination with Oath of Nissa you could play a G/x tron deck. Oath of Nissa also makes it so you can't be colour screwed by a blood moon.

Assuming you drop all of trons creatures except maybe ulamogs, what combination of planeswalkers would you play with access to every colour in modern?

I'd try Something like
>2 New Bolas
>4 6 mana Elspeth
>4 Karn
>1 Card advantage Chandra of some kind

Oh, I thought he just popped back in when the trial produced Planeswalkers, since it seems like he uses the trial to farm for walkers.

>Oh look. Another set where the Gatewatch causes a rebellion/apocalyptic event on a new plane
Phyrexia can't return soon enough

amen brother