Exalted General - /exg/

What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world where shoes are optional.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: mengtzu.github.io/exalted/sakuya.html
. It’ll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums.

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Core and Splats
mediafire.com/folder/b54o6teut3fx6/Exalted_3e

>Arms of the Chosen Previews
dropbox.com/s/15xddoahzedtkwu/Arms of the Chosen Preview.docx?dl=0
drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNuam9lbVJBWFhJM2s/view

>Dragonblooded Charm Previews:
theonyxpath.com/dragon-blooded-charms-preview-exalted/
theonyxpath.com/the-elemental-aura-dragon-blooded-pt-2-exalted/

>Other Ex3 Resources
pastebin.com/fG1mLMdu

>Resources for Older Editions
pastebin.com/GihMPwV8

New NPCs and a Behemoth rework
pastebin.com/d8erArwm
pastebin.com/fPSSNQZL
pastebin.com/2pPpjjv5
pastebin.com/fLRD51Hf

Previous Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/797631-why-craft-sucks-how-i-fixed-it
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

So /exg/, when creating a Solar in 3e, how many charms do you invest into your Supernal? I find myself not wanting to invest any less than 7 in it, and for my current character have gone 12 in on it. (Resistance is the supernal).

Typically, about nine or so. If I invest too much I just feel that I'm overspecializing.

Around 8-10.

I like to aim for a specific charm and try to beeline for it, so it tends to vary by character.

I only invested 4 in my Supernal. Integrity.

That's what I do as well. It's worth going straight for a very good charm, rather than trying to spread out; it's tempting to make a character who can do a bit of everything when you're chargening on your own, but if you get the character into an actual game you'll have people to handle the other stuff around you. Stay focused.

My Twilight with Craft Supernal started with 5 Craft charms, since that's all he needed to be able to craft Artifacts.

My Presence Supernal Zenith Caste actually had more Performance charms (7) than Presence charms (5), but the high-Essence Presence charms were more useful for the concept.

I tend to put half my allotment into my Supernal and the rest into useful sundries.

Not too focused, though. Everyone should have a secondary thing or two they're decent at. Things will probably get boring ottherwise.

if its an offensive combat supernal, i tend to invest more than other supernals, i suppose that's because i find the key abilities that add a big flashy bonus that let's me do things that aren't possible without the charms.

Pretty much all of them. Because if you wanna be the beast, you've gotta beat the best.

>being an overspecialized autist
ummmm.... no??`

>not being able to slaughter anything

How did you even become an Exalt anyway? Pfft I bet you didn't even survive the Primordial War, you fukken nerd.

>needing 15 charms to slaughter everything
Pathetic. Thunderbolt Attack Prana, Bulwark Stance, a few other charms to taste, hey presto.

Being overspecialized can be fun too, if you approach it with the right mindset. I mean, not by only giving a shit about that one thing you excel at, because that sucks, but by handling the overspecialization like any other character flaw.

13 + Sorcery and a combat charm

Or you become a hammer so hard that every problem becomes a nail.

That was kind of the definition that the devs gave for supernal. Your supernal should be your first reaction on how to solve any problem given to you.

>be me
>Brawl supernal
>have to do social combat
>punch everyone to death and declare everyone the winner
why does my group not like me, guys????/

>social combat
spoken like a true brawl supernal

Yeah, it really should be emphasized that it's not social COMBAT anymore.

Hypothetical question. How much would the Yozis benefit from 300 infernals and how dangerous would 300 infernals be for creation?

they'd still be in jail.

Those infernals could fuck things up for everyone and make Creation suck though.

Because they be beato leftists!

Besides baiting out clash attacks as a Melee fighter, what's a good way to fend off a Single Point Stylist?

Archery ambush.

Archery only, or will any burst or alpha strike do?

Well, Thrown might also work. Basically, he can't slash your face off if you're out of his sword reach and doesn't know you're there.

Tiger as well maybe. There's also a Larceny charm that lets you steal a weapon straight out of someones hands, and disarming in general works if they didn't buy Call The Blade.

Is that all though?

>Is that all though?

What more is there? The best way to win a fight is to ensure the other dumb son of a bitch doesn't know he's in one until it's too late to do anything about it.

You could probably do Thunderclap Rush Attack into a decisive Crashing Wave Throw, followed with a decisive Lightning Strikes Twice to absolutely paste the guy, assuming a decent JB roll, though Horizon-Swallowed Star Flash might ruin that if he manages to win the clash.

Anyone have good suggestions for creating artifact armor? I'm fucking terrible at this. I want to have some sort of light armor for my brawl supernal, since there's literally no penalty for it anymore unless you're a martial artist, but unlike weapons, I can't make anything that feels thematically interesting, and the book ones feel so generic in the "here have some bonus math" way that I get zero inspiration from them.

What's the Solar kill spirits Charm in 3e and how's it fluffed? Or is Ghost Eating Technique unchanged?

A suit of power armor with strength enhancement and force fields - mechanically the same as Dauntless.

A suit of armor that generates glowing hexagonal force fields to protect you - mechanically the same as Brilliant Sentinel.

Depending on the dot rating. How about an armor that is about elemental wind. Giving you the ability to do a rush+move action as it blast you forward. Depending on the number of successes on the rush action your next attack gets that much extra damage if a withering attack.

Or if you are a grappling brawl guy you can get an armor that lets you improve your rounds of control or lets you sacrifice control to improve or negate the normal penalty for being attacked while grappling someone else. It could be armor made of chains that wrap around a person while you are grappling.

It could be something along the lines of freedoms cadence where as long as you have the advantage you gain a big benefit when you have someone crashed or a big loss when they crash you.

What's the story behind that filename?

Touhou 15.

Depends totally on the character. One was only three the other was seven.

It's part of a picture from the 3e corebook, where a Solar is beating up some bears, and another bear is standing in the background with that look on its face.

Derp. I thought you were asking about the picture in the OP.

Armor is for faggots, real men fight naked.

"SERIOUSLY?! ARE YOU FUCKERS SERIOUS NOW?!"

That's a good strategy, yes, but does that mean that if you can't ambush, there's only Melee clashes and disarming? Surely Brawl has something. Grappling, maybe?

True men use Adamant Skin Technique and learn to love it.

It's still Ghost-Eating Technique.

>being naked but still utilizing a shield

for what purpose?

>not using your shield as a weapon
manlets

Because when you beat everyone to death you're supposed to declare YOURSELF the winner.

>How much would the Yozis benefit from 300 infernals

The same they benefit from 0 Infernals or 1,000 Infernals. Which is "not at all". Because they're forever stuck in their prison and nothing can get them out. It's a setting feature and design element, the Yozi are done, over, finito, they lost, forever, and they are a history note in the setting and nothing more.

>how dangerous would 300 infernals be for creation?

As dangerous as 300 Solars, or 300 Abyssals.

>he doesn't understand the Reclamation
They can expand Hell's borders to include what they want to conquer. Or let me guess, you refused to read/acknowledge RotSE as a possibility.

So Steel Devil Style is seen as weak because of it's difficulty in overcoming defences; but how does it fare in a clash? Dual Wielding light weapons is the best for those, and using Double or Triple Attack Technique to ignore defence on the first hit and winning the clash means that the loser suffer a -2 defence penalty until their next turn on top of the -1 for Onslaught.

lol

>get proven wrong
>"lol"
;^)

>They can expand Hell's borders to include what they want to conquer. Or let me guess, you refused to read/acknowledge RotSE as a possibility.
That's what most reasonable people do. RotSE isn't canon, as acknowledged by Holden, and even the Infernals book states that the Reclamation is, by default, not possible.

>shit Holden says
>shit the Infernals book says
not an argument.

Okay. Official material and official dev statements aren't arguments, but things some random user says are. Makes sense.

I'm more credible than Holden, yes. It's not a high bar.

>RotSE isn't canon, as acknowledged by Holden

Well, that's one thing he did right.

The Yozis still don't benefit from them, not in the long run. Infernals are more the ultimate mistake made by them than something that will actually make the Reclamation succeed, even if it's possible.

It seems really ridiculous for any long-term character concept that someone would just accept the Reclamation and their role as Green Sun Prince. Like, in first few years before the Yozis show their ugly side, maybe. Maybe you enjoy having power over others and are just going with the power high and you don't really care for the consequences. Maybe you genuinely like the guys out of some misguided sense of empathy. Maybe you just think they're being honest with their brutality as opposed to the Realm which pretends it's civilized.

But dude it's literally hell; they're going to backstab you and throw you away the instant you stop being useful to them. They hate you just for being human, for being too close to one of the things that imprisoned and humiliated them, and they won't care that you have sworn their loyalty to them or that you've never done anything to them personally. They won't care, or if you somehow make them care they'll hate you for making them care.

lol

Yeah, that's a better argument, good point.

hi Holden

Is this 2nd edition map still accurate in 3rd?

No.

No.

>they lost, forever, and they are a history note in the setting and nothing more.

They also could never be killed or imprisoned. Wait a second.

lol

Ahwww

Thanks for the replies.

The last campaigns had a strong focus on abyssals, deathlords etc.

Since I had the idea for an alternative creation setting with 300 Infernals. Nobody in my round plays solars. Either dragonblooded, lunars or mortals.

Not sure if it would be overkill, though.

The problem isn't that it's impossible; anything is possible with Exalts, particularly Solar-based ones. Fuck, it's a game, you can do whatever the fuck you want in your own group.

The issue is that, BY DEFAULT, the Reclamation is a narrative dead end. If you make a story about the Yozis running free, you can't really run anything else because all plots are overshadowed by "shit the Yozis are gonna escape". Emphasize it too much in official products and you end up with what RotSE was.

IMO, Infernals work best as individual agents that the Yozis let run around free because they've deluded themselves into thinking that they will advance their goals. Just by existing, Infernals are tempted to take more and bad powers that make them spread Malfeas' influence, like addicts that inevitably go back to their fixers and then drag more people into the business. Similar to how Abyssals bring death everywhere whether they want to or not.

I'd argue that that's what led to 2e's emphasis on the relationship between the Abyssals and the Neverborn or Oblivion over the Deathlords themselves. 1e had overstated the Deathlords are gonna kill everything storyline too much which overshadowed everything "lesser."

It was to the point that the adventure about Autochton returning to Creation became about the First and Forsaken Lion becoming a Primordial by way of a pyramid scheme.

Having the Infernals fuck up Creation is the kind of petty shit that the Yozi are more than capable of as well. I think that I good endgame is one where the Infernals rule Creation and the Yozi rule over the Infernals, making them rule over Creation by proxy.

>Or let me guess, you refused to read/acknowledge RotSE as a possibility.

Because it isn't. It's not canon to the setting and never can be. Shit, 1E flat out established it's never possible. Dev's have gone on record saying it's not possible. That shitty adventure book was the worst mistake of 2E, next to Scroll of the Monk, because it has retards believing Yozi can do anything other than sit in Hell and rot.

Melee is still infinitely superior in a clash though so.

God forbid we actually want to do something interesting with the setting now!

The only thing less interesting than a demon invasion is a zombie apocalypse

>interesting
>letting loose demons

Just go fucking play Doom.

>hurrrrr I don't know what 'subjective' means
>you're not allowed to enjoy something I don't!!!!

You were explicitly told you can do whatever the fuck you want in your own game, bitch.

I might be retarded but I can't find any far eastern locations on any of the 3e maps. Nechara, Izahuca, etc.

that's such a dumb hill to die on, may as well make solars forever gone too, jade prison inviolate, firstage gone forever

Yozis work best when they exert influence on Creation, and as the hazards of exploring hell. Turning that into a demon invasion is just... poorer.

Yeah. Demon invasion is firmly in the 'been there, done that' territory.

But not the Yozi's breaking out for some reason.

In 2.5 are there any ways to extend shaping, UMI protection over to others? The only thing I found is a thaumaturgy in Oadenols Codex, and all charms and sorcery murders thaumaturgy.

>Yozi rule over the Infernals

This wouldn't work under the 2e module, though-because a long term victory condition for the Infernals would inevitably involve Devil-Tigers. Which explicitly have the potential to get stronger than Primordials, let alone Yozis.

It would be like that burnout deadbeat of a gym coach giving his Olympic athlete kid pointers.

The one good thing I've heard about 3e is the idea that this time, the Yozis accept all hope is lost and just want to live vicariously through their kids doing as Solars are wont to do.

Make a bunch of artifacts? 3-4 dots ought to do it, if you can stunt the materials and making process good enough to impress your ST. UMI /and/ Shaping is a pretty big deal to proof against simultaneously.

There's Shinmaic Calibrations, although that feels like cheating, and the thing about miracle shells seems to prove even the devs realised so.

Though if there isn't an Adamant Circle spell for that, it should be acceptable to fluff one.

No, you were explicitly told that you can do whatever you want in your own game. Yozis breaking out isn't a thing in the canon, though, and the reasons for this were already mentioned.

Well I am satisfied with only one of them, don't need both simulatniously.

I guess artifact is the way to go then. Sorcery sounds good too, but adamant, and celestial circle are 15-10 ticks to activate, and thus out of the picture against simple action charms.

When it comes to sorcery I always figure the trick is to have a comfy shed or something to hide out near the main fight, so you can carefully do your ooga-booga while your circle kicks ass. And more importantly, saps the bastards of their Unexpected tag-removing Charms.

Then-BAM. Total Annihilation right when the enemy least expects it.

I feel like lunars had a "protect others from shaping" charm or two? or was that something from our heavily modified lunar charmtree to make them less "like solars but shitty" without going full retard with taw

>It would be like that burnout deadbeat of a gym coach giving his Olympic athlete kid pointers.

it's like you've never seen rocky

How does a high WP but low Convition character should act?

You don't feel strongly about anything and no one is going to change your mind about it!

By the looks of things, I am going to GM a 3e campaign in a few weeks. Knowing my players, I am anticipating a lot of homebrew. So here is the question: are there any guidelines regarding costs of different things beyond 1m = 1 die basic solar thing? I mean thing like initiative, WP, double Xs, actions, resets/not resets, non-charm dice/successes, damage type modifiers and other pieces of game mechanic, for solars and other exalt types? Same thing for MA charms, plus levels of effectiveness for MA charms?
Also, Craft. Any decent replacement systems?

>Also, Craft. Any decent replacement systems?
forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/797631-why-craft-sucks-how-i-fixed-it

I haven't actually had the chance to use this yet, but I've heard decent things about the rewrite, and it addresses a lot of the issues I have with the system.

Has anyone ever dared to set a game AFTER Return of the Scarlet Empress and it's clusterfuckish 'glory'? A 'Third Age' Exalted game. I'm sure the idea is most likely terrible because so many people hated RotSE but I'm curious if anyone dared to run it.