Warhammer: Age of Sigmar Roleplay

So, you may have heard of or at least played a couple of the tabletop rpgs Fantasy Flight Games did with the wh40k universe and even Warhammer Fantasy. Sadly, while GW and FFG are no longer working together. But, what would the rules be like if they had made a Age of Sigmar rpg? I understand that nobody really like AoS, but this is more out of curiousity's sake. What would the rules look like? What rules would it share from the other games?

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/s/bnnzwmrtffe772v/The Savage Age of Sigmar - Core Rulebook - Version 1.3.pdf?dl=0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

In the spirit of AoS, I am willing to bet ffg would have tried to keep it as rules lite as possible. Or would have tried to attempt again to make their last version of whfrpg a thing, which makes me super happy ffg isn't handling this anymore.

God that was awful.

Cubicle 7 does good according to a lot I've heard, so I think they could do well with this.

They'd look like this.

Oh my goodness, that's amazing! I have high hopes for Cubicle 7. Thanks for the info!

I like the potential this has for the setting. It could really flesh it out. The mortal realms have plenty of breadth, now all we truly need is some depth.

There's also the chance that we'll see places that have been mentioned before in other books to get actual descriptions and stuff, so they actually seem lived-in. The Seeds of Hope, or the Tauroi Archipelago, or the Brimstone Peninsula for example. They've got plenty of broad descriptions of what they're like, but no real detail. A well-written RPG could really remedy this.

Very much so, although I also have trepidations.

As much as I actually like AoS, and even it's setting, and I am a fan of Stormcast Eternals, I fear a major focus will be on them. We've had enough development on the SCE already. We get their shtick, and while it is awesome, let's move on.

One comfort is a 3rd party is handling this, the same team on the whfrpg. If it was GW I have a feeling where the main focus would be.

What's the difference between Warhammer Fantasy and Age of Sigmar?

Age of Sigmar is the sequel to Warhammer Fantasy

I like how they're doing both an Age of Sigmar RPG and a 4th Edition to WFRP. I can only hope they build off of WFRP 2e for the latter, since while 3e was cool it was also kind of a clusterfuck of half-ideas and was goddamn impossible to play online.

Warhammer Fantasy is generally a bit more grounded. There's still some huge and fantastical shit, but it tends to be rare and exceptional. This is especially true for the RPGs set there, where the PCs often start off as unremarkable nobodies. It's also all locked into a single world, much of which draws inspiration from real history.

Age of Sigmar is extreme high fantasy. You've got endless planes with names such as the Realm of Metal and the poster boys are the souls of slain heroes reforged and encased in magical armour who reincarnate every time they're killed again. There's been a strong effort to get away from Tolkein-esq stylings and tropes, which is why the most prominent dwarf faction are encased in steampunk armour and live in sky cities.

Stormcasts have fleshy bits inside the armor. They're just doped up on god magic.

Like cancer? Complete and utter fucking cancer?

That's like asking the difference between a historical tabletop wargame and an ARPG based on Exalted.

Warhammer Fantasy is a relatively down-to-Earth setting based on real-life history and verisimilitude. Age of Sigmar is a setting that takes place across multiple planes of existance in which immortals punch star systems and everything is populated by chaos dwarfs withmonocles flying around with lead zeppelin jump-packs.

They're completely different settings, for all intents and purposes, and aside from some names, they have very little in common, even at a core metaphysical level.

I have a hard time believing that they were anything but forced to do AoS as a condition of the contract. Cubicle7 sre grognards of the highest degree; them doing Warhammer Fantasy makes all kinds of sense. Them making Age of Sigmar makes no sense whatsoever.

They also probably wanted to make money

From what I have heard the two games won't use the same rules, either. Which makes sense, I don't think you could do a game with Age of Sigmar's power level or style with the old WFRP rules, not even close. You'd have to homebrew the hell out of, say, Deathwatch or something to get anywhere near it.

I'm interested to see how the two games will differ, for sure.

Or it could be they want to broaden their horizons? They have done several low fantasy gritty RPGs, and could see it as a challenge to tackle something with a different tone? Perhaps they are not as old and salty as you think they are?

To me, announcing the AoS rpg at warhammer fest seems like they are more excited about it.

Think of the announcement the whfrp got. It was mid-week, and they released an article saying "hey guys, we're doing whfrp. cool."

And announcing the AoS one at warhammer fest is them saying "AND INTRODUCING, WE ARE PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE THE AOS RPG!"

I think that the WHFRP3/SWRPG ruleset by FFG could work well withan AoS RPG, honestly. It works for SWRPG, but it was shit for Warhammer Fantasy. But it could qork for the heroic high-fantasy nonsense of Age of Sigmar, inasmuch that anything can work for that abortion of a setting.

If they wanted to make money, they wouldn't make an AoS RPG. Warhammer Fantasy has an established following, a core of invested fans of the setting and roleplaying.

Age of Sigmar has none of that. The setting is hodge-podge and has basically no fans, and most people that have an interest in Age of Sigmar does not give two shits about the setting, and play it for the tabletop and for cool, wild-n-crazy models and over-the-top aesthetics. Even a lot of people that like Age of Sigmar has no trouble confessing to the fact that most of it makes no sense and they don't care.

I know exactly zero people looking forward to and AoSRP, whereas I know tons that were ecstatic when they heard Cubicle7 picked up WFRP, hoping for a mechanical and narrative continuation of WFRP2 and the Warhammer Fantasy setting.

I just hated the card game/boardgame/RPG hybrid they tried to pull off.

And I don't care what anyone says, I am not a fan of their stupid unique dice and mechanic. Fuck I'm glad ffg is too busy sucking Disney cock now

Nice projecting there. You fail to see the appeal, therefore you refuse to believe anyone sees the appeal.

I've seen a lot of discussion and enthusiasm for the setting, but most of those are frustrated. Not for what you think though, but because they are frustrated that it's not explored enough or fleshed out enough. Whf has 30 years of exploration on AoS, and while it's not your cup of tea, there are plenty that are excited to see where it goes from here, and an RPG like this will help with that.

If anything you can look at it as cubicle 7 taking a look at AoS with the same frustration, and saying "it definitely has potential, we can help it along and flesh it out"

So I'm just saying, don't confuse your own prejudice with facts.

I never even implied that they were old or salty at all. I have no idea why you'd think I did.

Over-compensating, possibly. WFRP is established, but AoSRP will need a lot of hyping to even get off the ground. The fact that they waited qith announcing it could also mean that they weren't entirely clear on the implications of the contract, or how they were supposed to handle AoS.

Given how small they are, the fact that they're going to try to make both AoSRP and WFRP at the same time is in itself not a good sign, especially if they agreed to some level of partity between the two, such as having to cream out one AoS book for each WFRP release.

d100 systems often have trouble with high numbers and power discrepancies, especially if you want a sense of progression. It's one of the things FFG struggled a lot with, especially in things like Deathwatch and Black Crusade, because they had to muc with the base assumptions/difficulties compared to the power levels of creatures and tests that should be markedly stronger or weaker.

You need to have a tight scale from about 10 to 100, but that stays relevant, with 100 being the pinnacle of superhuman or transcendent ability and 10 being well enough below the average human. That's hard to maintain without a deep understanding of the system(s), and FFG got saddled with it as a legacy from Black Industries/Dark Heresy, but it's obviously was never something that they wanted; for example, they moved further and further away from the career system and the inherent limitations of that, and condensed more and more skills.

And that works very poorly in this system, which is why Only War Operators ended up being Demolitionists with the engineering know-how of lesser Magi, or why individual Space Marines/CSM ended up being able to wrestle greater daemons.

>Nice projecting there. You fail to see the appeal, therefore you refuse to believe anyone sees the appeal.
>So I'm just saying, don't confuse your own prejudice with facts.
This level of navel-gazing irony, it burns so hard it gave me both a nickel allergy and lead poisoning.

>I never even implied that they were old or salty at all. I have no idea why you'd think I did.
Oh I don't know, maybe it was you implying they were forced into it, or that they were grognards which meant they would only begrudgingly do it. Just the general tone of your post really.

>d100 systems often have trouble with high numbers and power discrepancies, especially if you want a sense of progression. It's one of the things FFG struggled a lot with
Arguably, but in a much-diminished fashion, Black Industries struggled with this too, in that a starting human usually had stats in the 30-35 range, but this could go as high as 75-80 in the end, which is a pretty absurd progression. Most +5 mods should've been +3 at best, which would've given a more even progression.

It would be 90% freeform nonsense, with the occasional dice roll and you have to pretend to ride a horse and smash your action figures (imaginary ones instead of real ones this time) together and make fighting noises.

Sure thing man. I can tell there's no possibility of a discussion here. I'm out.

The fact that you're forced into doing something in order to do something you want to do has nothing to do with being salty, and being grognards or doing something reluctantly doesn't make you old. If I wanted to say that they were salty or pissy, I would've said that. Their grognardness is a great thing; it just chafes terribly qith Age of Sigmar's aesthetics and themes. Everything they do suggest that they're old-school and pretty much the opposite of AoS in every way.

Cubicle7 is great. AoS is cancer.

They probably don't know if the WHFB liscense will be profitable on it's own

>Cubicle7 is great. AoS is cancer
Nice opinions. Too bad they're just opinions.

Can I play as one of these guys? Then I am sold.

They're order so it's likely

It's likely the core book will be focused on order, in which case you may be able to make one like it from scratch.

But it depends, will the main story get to elves before the book is released? We'll see.

I'm looking at their library of games, and nothing I see screams "grognards" or "can't do high fantasy". Nothing I see would 'chafe' against their style.

Are you sure you're just not projecting your own opinion of AoS on their projects tends?

Rumors have been saying (a)elves soon. Just don't mention it in the ACTUAL AoS thread cause the elffags are super whiny for no real reason.
It's fun to tease them though. So they at least have SOME redeeming qualities, unlike skaven posters

>Nothing I see would say that aos would 'chafe' against their style.
Fixed it for myself

That's funny as from what I can tell AoS has a huge following, and from what I know, the AoS community is warmer and more helpful and welcome than the whfb community has ever been.

IIRC the WHFB setting didn't get fully fleshed-out until the original edition of WHFRP? Hopefully AoS gives its setting some much-needed fleshing out.

True. All the fluff has been hinting at the elves and slaanesh story for a while now, building it up heavily.

I think bringing them into the picture is going to be a big reveal. The new dwarfs were like they existed all this time, we just never knew about them. But the elf stuff seems like we've been building up to some big climax. They may be waiting for ghb2, which won't be until 40k 8e excitement dies down some

AoS is objectively a bad game. It's like two kids using their action figures and pretend fighting, but using dice to determine who wins. There is zero strategy, zero balance, and zero gameplay.

It may be fun to some, but that doesn't make it a game or even a good one. It can potentially be good with changes and all that, but AoS as it stands is a bad game. So bad that I wouldn't even call it a game. Two people playing pretend with toys and rolling some dice isn't a game. There needs to be some kind of strategy or balance or something of substance to it. AoS does not have that yet.

>It's like two kids using their action figures and pretend fighting, but using dice to determine who wins.
>Two people playing pretend with toys and rolling some dice isn't a game.

That's, like, every wargame ever.

So you are describing a game that should have no appeal to adult wargamers at all. With that definition, there should be absolutely no following of the game and it would have died completely within the first few months of it's inception.

Except it hasn't. It has a continually growing fanbase and broad national tournament appeal, like the ITC. It continues to gain support from the parent company in the form of rules updates, novels, and models. GW reports increasing sales and success of the game. Distributors continue to report increased sales and popularity, like the ICV2.

None of this says it's an objectively bad game or matches with anything else you said about it. Could it be that you are simply confusing your own opinion with objective fact?

Learn to read. I compared it to that because it lacked qualities other wargames have to make up for it. Like strategy. AoS has nothing beyond what you quoted, other wargames do. Like 40k may be a poorly balanced mess and a boring ass game, but at least it pretends to have strategy and some measure of balance and gameplay. AoS doesn't even bother to try.

Actually you can rest assured: they stated they want to do it a bit on the vein of fallout, with you being a survivor of the Age of Chaos and going out to explore this rebirthing world!

Also, the leader of the team plays slayers and Barak Thryng. You can rest assured it won't be "just" stormcasts (he actually mentions the possibility to steal a kharadron airship)

You got plenty of facts wrong: the realms are in terms of surface around the size of our solar system. Which means that each one is like 30 times earth (hence why they are considered infinite). Stormcasts are regular humans, with a great portion of them being civilians who took arms in a desperate struggle and last stand against chaos, who've been infused with the power of sigmar (which makes them the order counter part of the chaos warriors).

This all does sound really awesome to me.

Again a lot of whfb's seeing development came from the RPG. I see the same happening here. Fans have been clamoring for a better focus in on the mortal personal lives in the mortal realms, and we can get it here.

All editions were developed and published by 3rd parties too

Job Hobgson is a Fyreslayer player. He's a regular at our club (bloody fucker has still to paint the little buggers). And he started Kharadrons when he came from warhammer fest. He's been here for a bit.

Cool! Where are you getting this, if I may ask?

Jon hodgson, the creative director? But that's impossible! He's a grognard! He can't be an AoS player, this doesn't add up REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I went to Warhammer Fest and did a bit of questioning. He was enthusiased, if still unsure on the clear direction he wants to be doing the RPG (though he is keen on the aforementioned route). He's debating on three choices for when to place the setting:
A) Late Realmgate Wars.

B) Late Season of War/Shortly after it.

C) Current timeline.

>All editions were developed and published by 3rd parties too
1e was GW in-house originally, and Black Industries is just GW's publishing arm.

Ah ok my mistake. Still, with what user is saying about this guy, things bode well.

I'm not much of an RPG guy, buy I'll be picking it up for the fluff.

>Inb4 shill accusations

Well I'd suggest picking the current timeline or trying to work something out with GW so it can be released with one of their events (IE, X event happens in game, RPG comes at the same time as the event and happens at that point in the timeline)
And there's always the possibility for splats later on

>but forced to do AoS as a condition of the contract.
for what reason?
the IP are sold separately by GW.

I don't know if it's a bad sign that I literally could not tell that picture wasn't of a Warhammer 40K scene without enlarging it.

Yes, it's a bad sign. It means old age is catching you and you're going blind.

generaly prefer WHFB over AoS but hey maybe theyll let me play lizards for once so might just go for it then.

Let me play a fuckibg li- seraphon already fuck

There better be a destruction book later on in the pipe

>Nobody really like AoS.

Speak for yourself. There's plenty of people in this board. Not going to say it's an horde, though,

Is anyone going to the games expo uk this weekend?? I heard they are going there so can anyone ask them about either WFRP and AOSRP?

There are more people on this board that like AoS than WHFB players. Or at the very least they talk more

Cancer confirmed.

I'm sorry you have cancer. I hope your death is as quick as painless as possible. Really, you have my feelings.

>I understand that nobody really like AoS
Lots of people like it

There's just a bunch of asshurt grognards on the internet that will hate on it until the heat death of the sun

>What would the rules look like?
No rules. Freeform roleplay.

I made a Savage Worlds AoS book.

dropbox.com/s/bnnzwmrtffe772v/The Savage Age of Sigmar - Core Rulebook - Version 1.3.pdf?dl=0

Well, luckily Cubicle 7 announced two separate RPGs, one set in the Old World (see press release 1) and one set in Age of Sigmar (press release 2).

That way everyone gets what they want.

Or it could just be that GW encouraged them to hype the new hotness that synergizes with their current product.

But can I port my WHFB characters into the AoS side after going through End Times supplement event?

No comment on the matter. Still may be interesting in the future.

>nobody really like AoS
You underestimate the level of autism in the world.

True enough, for example, you were born and not choked to death before age four.

I like this. Have you playtested it much?

I can't imagine how the fuck you're supposed to play a game in a setting as vague and incoherent as the mortal realms.

I'm GMing a Chaos campaign at the moment with 4 champions of each race.

Main issues I can find are mostly balance, as in Sigmarite and Stormcasts are super powerful together (May be lore accurate, I guess players on their first few sessions shouldn't be diving into patrols of Liberators), and the Chaos Mutation tables result in a few too many man-beasts.

It seems to be ok though in all other cases though it's hard to go into the details of non-Chaos areas when it's a chaos campaign, the Khorne player nearly lost his sweet blood-axe and nearly got Chaos Spawned as a result of trying to talk his way out of a situation (as a beast man btw). He also kept refusing duels too, so the Slaaneshite with his modified corrupted pistol had to keep stepping in and recking shit.

Next up after is Stormcasts though, so i'm looking forward to diving into that particular spot.

It means you have a broader canvas to create your own stuff.

>4 champions of each race

I meant of each god, retarded me.

shouldnt they be killing eachother then?

Presumably they're going to fluff them out more in the RPG itself.

I mean, it's not like Fantasy or 40k went into much ground-level detail about the Old World or the Imperium until their respective RPGs came out.

They're competing over who gets the honour of joining the Varanguard, On the condition that to best come to terms with what it means to be Chaos Undivided, you must work alongside and on the strengths of those of opposing gods.

There's definitely tension, but the gaunt summoner evaluating them has basically bound them to a spell that causes intentional friendly fire to become self-inflicted.

The Tzeentchian is working on a spell to undo it, while the Khornate is just trying to control himself lest he get fucked over too. The others don't give a shit too much.

While I loathe it, I know plenty of dudes who like it for its WoW-like over the top style.

I had no problems playing games in Planescape setting...