>40k rules reference in wiki format:
sites.google.com/site/wh40000rules/

>Latest GW teases:
warhammer-community.com/warhammer-40000/

>Latest GW FAQs:
games-workshop.com/en-JP/Rules-Errata

Best God

Second for Orks

Salamanders are really going to bring the heat, now that they can run and still fire their flamers and meltaguns.

I KNOW this is going to start some bullshit, but how do the rules look? Planning on getting into 40k for the first time with 8th so can't really tell what i'm looking at or how it fairs compared to previous editions.

hurrah for the new edition!

Speaking of Salamanders.

I am thinking of a starting a Salamanders army.

Any suggestions for good resources?

I have read through index astartes and the HH book Promethean Sun

It left me wondering what Nocturne actualy looks like.

What kinds of settlements were there?

The book just mentions kings and towns without talking about what kind of civilization existed beyond being blacksmith hunters.

Were they medieval europe level civ? Lower?

They do mention buildings so I don't think they are hunter gatherer only.

Lastly if you were buildling a salamanders army is it possible to do without buying a bunch of rhinos/razorbacks?

I was thinking of scratchbuilding drop pods. Is this a bad idea? Any links would be appreciated.

Describe how you think the new meta in 40k will shape up.

Infantry heavy? Tons of bolters or tons of las? Walkers everywhere?

What's it gonna look like. Whats a competitive army now appear to be.

If you're only going to get into it, then previous editions are irrelevant.

The rules are straight forward.

>how it looks
People were freaking out more than they should have, there are so many rules changes it's hard for us to mental math it to figure out whether or not something is broken.

A LOT of the codexes that were very, very weak and/or mostly unusable are now viable and that is probably going to be good for the hobby even if it may have come at the cost of Space Marine dominance.

Chaos might still suck, though, I don't know, and I saw some guardfags were upset earlier.

Rules seems solid and relatively balanced. Armies can be a bit bland though since a lot of the additional rules and sub-factions you usually find in a codex aren't in the index rules available at launch.

Forced infantry and epic hero time
So infantry and characters everywhere

My only fear is I don't want to have to convert a billion heavy flamer/multi meltas to throw into tac squads.

Anyone know a good source for either of them?

Was gonna magnitize flamer/melta special weapon guy in each 5 man block of marines.

Everything is a bit basic and most army rules have yet to be expanded upon, but it is immeasurably better than 7th edition.
The best way to find out if you like it is finding a LGS or GW store and trying a demo game.

But you should mainly start 40k if you like (some of) the fluff, assembling models, and painting. The rules have changed in the past and will change again.

on a unrelated note, our display board for adepticon this year

did only the low tier move up or did the top tier also move down?

Heroes and tanks.

What about heroes that are tanks?

I think a lot of the focus will be on infantry. A lot of the basic footsloggers for most armies seem really improved now, and generally those basic models seem cheaper and can get special weapons.

I think you'll still see larger stuff and transports, but it'll be taken for a more specific purpose in order to get more mobility or something durable to help distract and shield your infantry guys.

It certainly feels like spamming those more elite armies will be less effective, since compared to a more mixed army you've gotten pretty steep price hikes in general.

nobody knows yet, too early to tell. I'm an optimist so I hope everything moved to the center

>But you should mainly start 40k if you like (some of) the fluff, assembling models, and painting.

That is mainly the reason I play these games, yes. Though I'd rather avoid trash games if I can help it, hence why I'm asking.

So it seems Guard get cheaper weapons now. With 7pt plasma is there a reason for Guard to take 5pt grenade launchers? Aside from being WYSIWYG

I like how the core rules are looking though there are a few units in the indices that seem half baked and will hopefully get ironed out in the full on codex for their faction.

Forgeworld sells lots and lots of weapon sets for marines. Have a look there.

GW also has a few, but most are finecast and therefor trash.

You can also look for third party bits, but quality may vary a lot.

Are those valkyrie pilots screaming "Emprahu Ackbar!"?

Grenade launchers seem decent enough compared to plasma. Better for clearing chaff, and Krak grenades can deal multiple points of damage more safely than plasma

Hey fguys, just want to tell you that the last thread was pretty comfy. It's good to discuss thigns with level-headed people!

Longstrike, pask and... that SM guy triarch of awesomeness!

Shooting is going to congregate at even numbers since those help double up various toughnesses. T7 doesn't double anything that T6 didn't, sure you wound T6 and T7 easier but S6 has the same benefit against T5 and T6, so the overall benefit of a 1 S increase is larger on even strengths than odd strengths. That being said, if there is some huge T7 meta-threat then I could end up being wrong.

I think you will see a lot of hordes surrounding some kind of centerpiece unit like a 'naut, knight, etc. Multiple big guys seems like a mistake points-wise, because even though they are very tough they just don't have the horde clearing capacity they need Gorkanaut excepted, that mad bastard

I think ill build the shit I have without em for now and buy some devistator squads after I try heavy weapons with proxies.

I could always use the Dev squads to build mm marines to put into squads and then run squads of missile devs from my old as space marine boxes I suppose.

Or is that retarded?

nah man, that's a vulture doing a strafing run with a punisher cannon

R8?

Ynnari will always be infantry heavy

Dark Eldar can have half their army with dark lances thanks to vehicle upgrades and scourges being able to take 4 per 5-man unit, so darklight spam is back. Their vehicles are now slower though; raiders are now beaten by wave serpents

Eldar I predict will be infantry heavy, too. Banshees got a big upgrade and Fire Dragons are awesome

Chaos sucks

I'm currently reading the Tau leak, brb

It looks a bit late for them to pull up.

feelsbadman i sold my tau last year to my bud who wanted to get into 40k. I loved my hammerheads.

Had my first 8th edition game with a terminator heavy list with abbadon against deathwatch, ask me anything

the one is a sky talon dropping off a buggy and lifting off, the other is a bit steep yes but vultures can hover man!

eldar player (fuck you I like the lore), and I'm liking a few bits from the new rules.
move stat is of course sweat all around. Advance and new battle focus is more limiting (no jumping in and out of range) but that's probably an improvement.

New Serpent shield seems cool. Very focused is very good protection against mid power threats. Nothing against shear weight of light gun fire, and diminishing benefit as you close in on close range melta fire, but extremely good against autocannon level stuff.
I like focused abilities like that.

Speaking of autocannon, I feel they generally got a buff. New armor and wound rules give them more of a slot.

That can work too, if you don't need a lot of the same weapon. Devestator squad box has two of each heavy weapon type if I remember correctly.

the servo skull on the side was a working beer tap too

Combined arms with hero characters is the only way to go. You need a little bit of everything now to compete.

There are very few ways to break infantry hordes now with big expensive powerful units because blasts were nerfed into oblivion, you need other infantry to fight them head-to-head with weight of fire or elite infantry to assault and drown them in attacks.

Tanks make very powerful support pieces on the other hand as they can move quickly and are TOUGH, so they are able to run down infantry, block movement, assault them, transport your guys where they need to go, and otherwise be a very difficult to remove obstacle. This necessitates getting anti-vehicle firepower, which tends to come on other vehicles.

We made a lot of memes about it but this might actually really prove itself to be the most playtested edition ever. I'm a little amazed.

The top tier absolutely moved down, it's just a question of how much.

In which year is humanity going to invent faster-than-light travel ?

>blasts were nerfed to oblivion

small blasts went from waste of time to actually getting to hit stuff now.

When we make contact with an alien species that already has

how it was?

stormtrooper command squads are gonna be the new meta.

4 dudes with whatever special weapons you like turning up wherever and whenever you like.

however hotshot lasguns are garbage because the rules always force them out of rapid fire range whenever they deploy via deepstrike.

what im mainly confused about is that whether you have to pay points to buy a hotshot gun THEN upgrade that to a special weapon or you can just buy the special weapons straight up.

the rules have a bunch of ambiguities like that which makes my autism tingle.

so its 72pts to deploy 4 hotshot volley guns (76pts if the rules suck) and you get 16 BS4 str 4 shots at -2 AP

meltas are 12ppm

plasma is 7ppm

grenade launchers are 5ppm

and flamers on stormtroopers are just for dingleberries who should hang themselves.

Anyone done a $/ points analysis yet?

Fire dragons were always awesome, but now their more generalist while not being as extremely good against a single thing (that being heavy vehicles).
Banshees, basically everything I wanted.

I want to try the new wraithlord, looks cool.

Damn that's nice, a lot of work went into that clearly

Who won?
Did you have fun?
Did you play points or power level?
What were the lists?
What was the scenario?
Did you like the scenario?
give me a battle report

You only pay for whatever the model has.

Most of the leaked Marines vehicles are T7. Vehicle toughnesses look like they're going to range from 5 (land speeders) to 8 (land raiders and monoliths).

>Eldar I predict will be infantry heavy, too. Banshees got a big upgrade and Fire Dragons are awesome

Finally Biel-tan edition
>RIP Biel-tan

No, but I can tell you right away that a lot of kits are going to give you a much larger number of points for your dollar.

For example, 3 Broadsides. That used to be maybe 250 points if you really stretched it. 60 points base, some drones, some systems.

Now, it's 240 points before you even buy them all their basic weapons, let alone upgrades

well thats good because it means I can spam more stormtroopers.

Is there anything with a toughness above 8 ? I haven't found any unit that has a higher toughness yet.

>waste of time

They were only a waste of time if your opponent doesn't understand spacing

mfw I was able to consistently pull off wins by exploiting my opponents shitty spacing,
poor understanding of terrain, and poor positioning of armor facings

I suppose. I remember times where I've wiped a whole 5-man terminator squad with a plasma cannon because they were forced to be in base-to-base when Deep Striking. Now that's no longer possible, but then again, Deep Strike can be done however you like as long as you're in coherency.

Big blast weapons really felt the nerf though.

It really depends on how badly you need S7/8. Without templates both GLs and MLs are look extremely good now since before, with proper spacing, you usually couldn't get more than 1 or 2 hits, but now you can get up to 6. And then Krak of course being multi wound and it's hard to argue against the flexibility, especially for the price.

That could make things very interesting, the choice between S7 and S8 weapons seems like a big army decision. Do you go for plasma equivalents or melta equivalents? or both

thanks man! we actually ended up winning the display segment

How's it look?

Dark Eldar
-1000-
6 CP

Battalion Detachment

HQ
68 Archon w/Blast Pistol and Agonizer
82 Succubus w/Blast Pistol and Glaive

Troop
90 Wyches x8 w/Blast Pistol, Hydra Gauntlet, and Agonizer
38 Kabalites x5 w/Phantom Launcher
38 Kabalites x5 w/Phantom Launcher

Elite
115 Trueborn x5 w/Blasters x4

Fast
150 Scourges x5 w/Darklance x5
77 Hellions x5 w/Stun Claw

Dedicated Transport
116 Raider w/Darklance and Shock Prow
116 Raider w/Darklance and Shock Pros
95 Venom w/Splinter Cannons x2

Wyches, Archon, and Succubus go inside one Raider, Both warriors in the other, and blasterborn in the venom.

How viable does a party buss of possessed in a landraider aound right now?

so you won because your opponent didn't understand strategy?

Mutis and a Lord would be better

Does anyone have the picture of that converted Heldrake from a few threads ago?

So jealous, EDT+Imperial Navy is my dream army.

>Is there anything with a toughness above 8?
>immediately check Great Unclean One
>only 1 higher T than a trukk

Mutis?

4 lances, not 5 in the scourges. Typo

You only pay for what you have not for what gets swapped. That's definitely strong and you can even toss the HQ guy in to give them the reroll 1s order. I'll be using Valkyries full of veterans myself.

Ya, probably stick with Plasma for vets in a transport and GL for line squads. Similar for Lascannon vs ML. use the ML or Autocannon for line squads and maybe take some Heavy Weapon squads with Lascannons if it seems necessary.

GK or BA for assaulty space marines?

Also, I fucking love 8th and I hope all the people who are defending 7th quit the game.

Mutilators. Yes they really exist

>I also like to pretend I forgot about them, those models are just horrendeous.

Commissar is eating all of the platoon's rations.

Your archon's trait won't apply to his stripper squad since cults and kabals are different things.

It was a lot of fun, both armies were way more survivable due to most weapons not instakilling marines any more
>Who won
Black legion but it was very close
>Did you have fun
much more than 7th, there was way less fucking around with rules
>points or power levels
power levels
>What were the lists
I'm on my phone so I can't copy pasta but my list mainly consisted of terminators, raptors and bikers with basic csm running as support while maulerfiends ran around. His list consisted mostly of kill teams, a librarian and a captain.
>What was the scenario
Ambush, with black legion being ambushed
>Did I like the sceanrio.
Yes it was a lot of fun especially from a fluff perspective due to the tide turning when the raptors and termis showed up to turn the ambush around.
I'll post the battle report when I get home

BA for the sweet DC

He has nowhere else to go anyway, so he's a 68pt tax with a pistol and Agonizer

so the price listed is the base price, and any weapons or wargear it has has to paid on top of that. or is the points for the base unit with all the wargear listed except for any options that have to be paid out.

GK are somewhat overcosted, so BA. Even with the nerfs, Death Company are rockin

how do powerlevels work exactly?

The heldrake/maulerfiend one?

You just don't pay points for wargear.

They turn out to be surprisingly accurate though. I made a 2000 point Tyranid list that came to exactly 100 power.

Pretty much you just take what you want and use the power levels as a rough outline of how balanced things are, whoever has the lower number goes first

You tally up the power level of your list and you can either make them equal between you and the opponent or they can be off. If they are off the person with less is declared the underdog and given the more advantageous position in certain scenarios. It's actually pretty cool and I think I might try to implement it with points since perfectly even points battles with symmetrical deployment zones is boring in casual games.

they're a rough abstraction of the points system. 1 Power generally equates to a 20-30 points of unit if you try to max out upgrades.

So your strategy is to put him in a tarpit unit? A little risky, but OK. A trick you can use is to have the raider move, disembark your archon squad, raider charge to eat up overwatch and perhaps even hopefully explode on the enemy, then follow up with the archon's own charge.

Blood Angels 1215/1250

Vanguard detachment
Chaplin 90 pts (Jump pack, Bolt pistol and crozius)

Death company squad 248 (10 men 2 power fists 2 power swords 2 bolt pistols 8 boltguns jump packs)

Death company squad 248 (10 men 2 power fists 2 power swords 2 bolt pistols 8 boltguns jump packs)

Patrol detachment
captain 81 (plasma pistol and Power sword)

Tactical squad 121 (10 marines 7 boltguns 1, flamer. 1 heavy flamer, 1 power sword and 1 bolt pistol)

Tactical squad 129 (10 marines 7 boltguns 1, flamer. 1 heavy flamer, 1 power sword and 1 hand flamer)
Dedicated transports
Rhino 70

Rhino 70
God dammit why does everything seem to cost so much less this edition?

Just fortifications so far.

Models base price + the wargear it is holding

Most basic wargear is free, so a Guardman with lasgun is 4pt +0 = 4
With a grenade launcher is 4+5=9

A Tempestus with hotshot lasgun is 9+1
With a grenade launcher is 9+5

[frag and crack greandes are 0pt]

I'm going to make a 2000 point Ravenwing list with Sammael and 36 Black Knights, then clump them all up into a murderball and overcharge 72 plasma shots every turn.

Remember that he still has a 2++ save, which might deter people from attacking him. Honestly, I don't have anywhere else to put him without dropping the battalion. If I do that, I take the FA detachment with two squads of 10 hellions, DL scourges, Blasterborn, Wyches, and a succubus.

You fucking madman

>God dammit why does everything seem to cost so much less this edition?
What are you talking about, user? My army increased by 301 points.

but with certain unit options aren't the power levels wildly different with similar units.

I guess they figure that if everyone can splurge on wargear with out worrying about it then it all comes out in the wash.

alright, it was mostly for vehicles it seems like the cost have gone up, but then again with them not being able to be one shot any more i guess that makes sense.

>everyone hates Admech now
>waacfags that can't spam War convo are selling models like they're going out of style
>tfw now I can cheaply double my army and kill the new wave of unpainted genestealer spam in style

>not electropriests though ;^)

>with out worrying about it
powerlevels are for people who don't worry about it to begin with.