>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Mega Trove:
mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/:

Hey Faglord, where's the question?

Chris Perkins has said structurally the next adventure we're getting is like Curse of Strahd (in his interview on Encounter Roleplay).

He's also said there'll be a unique t-rex in the adventure. That the main villain will be unsympathetic but it's underlings will be multidimensional and multifaceted characters.

Sounds cool. Curse of Strahd was great and so are Tyrannosaurs.

Man, that's really, really lame. I guess I won't multiclass then.

Why does WoTC insist on making the Kobolds uglier and uglier?
When will we get the waifus we deserve?

you deserve nothing

>paladin is the only class that gets elemental weapon
Why though?

How the fuck does the tiefling revenant character gen work? I'm still baffled by the wording in the UAs.

unless you do it in increments of 4
bards can at level 10 since they get the ability to take any spell from any list

Honestly who cares?

Yeah, I know. But you can say that about any spell.
However, as far as spell lists are concerned. Why only paladins?
Seems like something to give to druids, nature clerics...

Effectively, you get +2 Charisma and then choose the Revenant subrace.

The UA is That Old Black Magic.

I guess it just stings that there aren't really dead levels to make multiclassing enticing for fighters. For story reasons, I want to switch from fighter into paladin. If I switch now (which makes the most sense IC) I lose the attribute increase. If I switch next level, I lose Extra Attack. If I switch the next level I lose another attribute increase. Too many features is hardly anything to complain about, but it makes the decision agonizingly difficult (especially because level 1 paladin features are super-garbage for level 4 characters)

can someone link a b&w version of the player's handbook? one isn't in the trove and I'm not looking for the transcript

>no gross nigger in op picture

wtf u rassis?

Maybe this has been long since dealt with in some manner, but I've been lost in Shadowrun for a couple years and am playing catchup on D&D 5E. Doing a bit of setting building here, and I keep wanting to make the clerics and druids represent theistic and animistic faith, respectively, something like the Buddhist/Shinto interaction in Japan, say. If you look at Shinto, or perhaps at folk animism in south and southeast Asia, though, you get spirit stuff going on in inhabited as well as natural locales. Would it be dumb to cook up a druid pathway focusing on this sort of civilized-world shamanism? Has this perhaps already been done?

Is it rude when the DM set up a mega dungeon and you ignore it because you feel it too difficult for your character in the beginning. Only to comeback later with an army to kill it master and claim it as your own.

I have always wanted a Druid type that focuses on mans relationship with nature
I don't have an answer for you but that sounds great.

Same guy, unrelated question. Why are there so few third party adventures out there for 5e? Is it a licensing issue? I grew up in the 3e era and we were swimming in premade shit, so it's jarring (and frustrating for a GM who works a 40 hour week, you know?)

>implying their puppy noses aren't adorable

i would not consider it rude, though you shouldn't be surprised when half of your forces are dead. and the other half blames you for walking them into a bloodbath.

Nah man, at least not personally i don't think so.
That's the kind of shit i love as a GM, as long as its not all the time.

So the campaign I'm in is way more focused on exploration and survival than anyone realized and we don't have many people who can deal with that well. Hell, I'm one of the better ones and I'm a warlock. After a few levels, grabbing tome and stealing ranger rituals I was thinking of multiclassing into either the scout fighter or rogue. I'm leaning more towards rogue because of expertise, cunning action and movement since Wild Cunning and Guiding Hand can do a lot of what natural explorer allows. Does anyone have any thoughts on the scout fighter vs rogue?

Just make sure you are not lost in the forest and understand one of the many language.

What is the best way to reskin the imp familiar to be a creature of the fey? Just a beefed up sprite or pixie or something?

What the fuck are those things in the image?

morons if they think that "bow" will work.

>Just a beefed up sprite or pixie or something?
>pixie got SWOLE

Roughly humanoid shaped chunks of xp

is there more for running a demonoligist/diabolist wizard or is that the warlocks game now?

Why can't you just have a sprite/pixie/animal familiar?

So it's a Fistie now?

I'm told it's an oblique ref to 4e, where a sidebar toyed with the idea paladin smites could do damage based on their god's nature. For example, if you worship Poseidon, you do cold damage. Elemental weapons takes this idea and simply makes it an option.

^2nd this
I love how they have dog noses and muscles.

So I'm a gigantic fag and trying to build a standalone "Saboteur" class which heavily relies on grenades and other explosives as it's primary source of damage.

Is a grenade that requires a ranged spell attack that deals 1d8 on a hit and then explodes hit or Miss for 2d6 in a 5 ft sphere too much?

Currently at level one you only have "slots" for 2 grenades and you can only craft them during a long rest.

Is that way too much damage for a level 1 spell? It's less than ice knife which is what I modeled it after

Second this.
An "urban druid" is something I always kinda liked about shadowrun shamans.

Eh. I guess.
That's kinda depressing they only gave that option to paladins though.
I like the idea of being able to change up damage type on a weapon, akin to what the nature cleric has. But I think nature cleric's channel divinity is such ass.

I always wanted to see a some one play a Dr. Orpheus style warlock. Some one who wasn't evil or edgy. Just a really smart and kind, if pretentious and over dramatic, demonologist who got his power through proper research.

No reason it needs to be a spell attack.
Make it a ranged attack roll.
Then it deals 1d10 bludgeoning on a hit.
Hit or miss it explodes and each creature within 5 feet of the point where it explodes must succeed a Dex saving throw or take 2d6 piercing.
60 ft.

This is just ice knife but without doing cold damage. It's fine. It's also a level 1 spell.

I've actually always wanted to play a demolition expert. Can easily refluff artificer in this way. Granted a lot of its features kinda don't fit the theme though.
Would like to see it as a rogue subclass.

Are there maps for A Scream in the Night? I've looked through the Mega Trove and tried to look it up through google unable to find it. Anyone know where they are if there are any?

If you're doing it for story reasons, hopefully your DM will be on board and not throw you in situations where your un-optimised character is a huge handicap. Ultimately I think the roleplaying is more important than the mechanical perfection, but I understand your frustration.

Would a Shifter be a good fit for a curse of Strahd game? My group isn't too serious so my plan was to go "well I'm not like THOSE werewolves" but is a Shifter different enough from a standard werewolf that it would be incongruous?

I'm going to have my players venture out of an underground lake and have some pretty rough fights against a Sea Hag and her minions, followed by a RP heavy Masquerade Ball two days later in-game. Any suggestions? I already plan on having a Night Hag (way too strong for them atm) attend in shapshifting disguise that they'll probably ignore because of much more interested NPCs in there, but I'm trying to get a feel for how I wanna run an RP Ball. Hag fight is just standard combat stuff with neat trinkets and magic items, nothing too out there.

Yeah refluffing it as a rogue or artificer subclass would work (and has been done many times) but there are many other feats I wanted to add which would be too bloated for a subclass.

I forgot to mention the secondary damage does include a dex saving throw for half damage.

I don't want the class to be dex based. It's more based on intelligence and con with a feat at level 5 to instead use intelligence for attacks and damage rolls on weapons similar to shillelagh.

The secondary grenade damage does scale to 8d6 by level 18 for the base class. At that level you have 8 readily available "slots" which increases to 10 at lvl 20 for the base class.

>fighting a stone golem to get an orb from it
>sitting by the DM
>eventually see his paper for how much damage we've done
>over 230 damage
Fucking hell. This thing only has chips taken off of it.

This edition has kept away from third party, for better or worse depending on who you talk to, probably because Hasbro doesn't want to wheel and deal on percentage of sales. Also the problem you see with this party places that try to make stuff balance that shit for 3.5 or pf in mind and have no fucking clue what would work in 5e.

D&D used to be bundled in with MTG when WOTC turned their reports in now they are done separate but Hasbro expected D&D to be doing near MTG level sales. To anyone who knows what the fuck they're talking about that's retarded and a pipe dream, but a bunch of suits in an office see it's not what they want so they gutted the budget. They put stuff out every now and then to hold onto the licensing for an extra revenue they might be able to grab.

Tldr: They got no cash, and no one seems to realize 3.x shit doesn't work right out the gate in this edition.

The 5e SRD has been out for a full year, under the same license that 3.5e's SRD was under. It'll take time... and with WotC's focus on adventures, third parties would rather work on their own supplementary and custom setting material than actual adventures.

You can find a bunch of adventures on the DMs Guild though, that's mostly what it's there for.

So make them thrown weapons? And you can use either dex or str.

It just doesn't make sense that they're spell attacks. Not unless they're somehow guided by magic.

The core of the damage output comes from the blast explosion, the 1d10 is just whether or not you smash the person standing the space with it for an extra "thunk," right?

This means they'll still be int based if the saving throw is 8 + prof + int.

Just started playing a few months ago so forgive me.. but is it really too much work to just convert the stats of creatures in 3.5 modules to their analogues in 5e?

>UA talks about Mystic and Artificer as closest to getting official support
>Both are in bad need of tuning
>Say they are close to finished
I sincerely hope they mean that they've already done some tuning, I'd hate to see either reach legal in their current states for both reasons of being bullshit strong, and having features that flat out suck.

Stone Sorcerer, Hexblade, Forge Cleric and Bards can all get it as well.

I won't lie, Nature's the one domain where you'll likely not use up all CD's before resting because it's so situational.

On the bright side they can pick up Shillelagh to be pure Wisdom and have a weak at-will absorb elements.

Just play a Conjurer and use the demon summons? Cast a lot of Fire spells? Say you were taught by a fiend?

It's mostly a fluff thing. All Wizards can be refluffed into being a bit more demonic.

Not really, but you're mostly encouraged to find a stat block in the 5e MM because the DMG guide to making one is a fucking mess, also that is the vast difference in power levels of the two games. Also disregard the CR guide even the publishers say they don't use it because it's meant for bare bones games only, no feats, standard array, no multiclassing and a four man party of the same level with low access to magic items.

The problem is these companies make the things that would work in 3.5 or pf and say it's for 5e. Kobold Press is notorious for this, so no people don't want to bother buying shit they're going to have to fix anyway.

Don't worry WotC will disappoint us, either they'll nerf mystic into the ground, or leave it mostly as is and it'll be fucking strong as hell for the game range they think everyone plays.

Artificer they'll either throw it a small bone that doesn't fix the issues and call it good or make it broken as fuck.

If I have advantage on the same stat as my spell ability modifier do I get advantage on my spell attacks and checks made against my spell DC?

No not at all to my knowledge

>Also disregard the CR guide even the publishers say they don't use it because it's meant for bare bones games only, no feats, standard array, no multiclassing and a four man party of the same level with low access to magic items.
And here I am dreading what to throw at my group when the ball gets rolling.

I expect as much, we're playing a game right now with an Artificer and they need a fair amount of home-brewing to make them even remotely comparable to anything decent. We had to stop a Mystic after a few sessions, they are simply way too good in their current form.

Slightly ironic really, we thought the Hexblade would be problematic, turns out that UA is pretty well balanced(unless you go EB turret)

I honestly would rather they make Artificer strong enough to have people screaming it's broken and them nerf the fuck outta the Mystic.

Mystic's seriously some D&Dwiki level shit, it has good ideas but the execution on it's just so fucking bad. Should've at least been 2 classes.

I rolled an EK for the campaign I just died in. My DM let me get some magic items to catch me up, and here's what he let me "buy" with points I rolled for.

Shield +3
Scale mail +1
Ring of Protection.

So my AC right now is 23, meaning if I cast shield I have 28 AC.

Did he fuck up? Should I have him fix this? It seems hilariously broken.

What the fuck's giving you ADV on ALL rolls made with your spellcasting stat?

Do you want to eventually ruin the game for everyone else playing with you because you made an OP tank? Or do you want to be a reasonable person.

Eh, it's not too bad. EK is a really good tank and level 7-11 it has good damage. Rest of the time you'll be the lowest damage dealing Fighter on average. So it kinda evens out.

You can still be hit with Saves, Shoves, Grapples and etc. Plus your AC will never really get better.

It takes practice, the way I handled it when I started is there are "waves". If the situation allows for reinforcements to show up they most likely will if the party absolutely face rapes the enemies, not due to bad rolls on the enemies part.

Always be flexible and realize that PCs are alot more durable this edition, the first couple levels are shaky and can go either way but with time you'll get it down.

For boss fights either never leave them alone or give them legendary actions and resistances. The action economy in this edition is King and a single bad will loose to a party everytime because of it unless the party just botches all their rolls. Sometimes a big bad having both isn't bad but play it safe is my policy.

Also if an encounter is just too much on accident don't be afraid to fudge the numbers in the party's favor. By that I mean the party isn't just having bad luck it's you accidentally made an encounter way too much.

We're lvl 9, if that matters. The DM is pretty heavy handed when it comes to magic items for us to get, and his puzzles are very, very enigmatic. I'm certain I'm going to die from some bullshit like my 3 previous characters did.

I just feel like if I'm running around with 23 AC I'm just not going to feel any pain. Sure I won't be doing a ton of damage, but at the same time, that seems like a really big mistake on his part to let me use a point per level + (had to roll 2 d6) on a shield, yet have RoP cost 4.

Shifter (Wildhunt) gives you advantage on all Wisdom checks and saving throws while shifted.

I'm theorycrafting it with the spell Ensnaring Strike. The trapped creature needs to make a strength check against your spell save DC (Wisdom).

Although I guess it wouldn't matter anyway since to benefit I would need to impose disadvantage on its strength rolls.

My main issue with mystics is they are really good at everything. You can literally build them to do almost anything and if you do it right will be better than most of the party till ~10, which is where even WotC says most games end around.

I'm hoping they threw all them out there to try and see which ones work and which ones don't then they'll just trim some and touch up the workable ones.

Is this why I keep running into games where our party consistently faces enemies who deal an average 30 damage per attack at level 3? Because the DM is trying to compensate between editions?

For example last session we had a TPK after some enemies attacked us on sight and we eventually drove off their leader mid combat.

The leader then returned with reinforcements after we had finished fighting off his remaining goons and basically starting 1 shotting our party.

After the fact we were told we weren't expected to have tried to fight him in the first place. Am I tarded or is this just bad DMing?

No it still wouldn't matter, advantage on checks and saves doesn't mean advantage on attacks because it happens to be the same stat.

>Average 30 damage per attack at level 3

Jesus Christ what kind of DM does that? I get consequences but throwing things that practically one shot party members with no real chance of doing anything is just bad. I guess you could run but still that seems excessive to me.

I went with making it a satyr-like creature.

Yeah basically you roll 8 + proficiency + int modifier for the ranged spell attack, if you "hit" it simply means you landed the grenade in close proximity to them, so they take extra damage. If not.. your aim was a little off.. the grenade still explodes and they take damage, less if they Dodge fast enough (via the dex save) but they still take some damage cause it's an explosion.

I think it makes sense without having to implement dex based thrown weapon attacks. Dex just seems to be overused in general.

>some enemies attacked us on sight
>we weren't expected to have tried to fight him

Kinda shit DMing. He should've given some sign that you should have run away or something. Made it very obvious. Having enemies attack the party and expecting the party to just turn tail as a first response is a poor expectation.

>30 damage per attack
The fuck.
Enemies are usually balanced in one of two ways.
They either deal a ton of damage, and have low health pools, AKA glass canons (these can be good for making the party feel threatened at first).
Or they have pretty large health pools with several attacks that don't do much damage on a hit.
And of course, if we're talking bosses they get legendary resistances/actions to actually feel like bosses.

Ok so I'm not alone.. that 30+ average damage was just the secondary posion effect if u failed a con save if that makes a difference

>I think it makes sense without having to implement dex based thrown weapon attacks. Dex just seems to be overused in general.
They could also use their strength.

I'm wondering though, you don't expect them to only use grenades for fighting right?
They will likely invest in dex or str anyway to use with some other weapon.

Bad dm'ing. Unless you blatantly fucked up and shit in a kings face or something equally retarded you should never be slapped up side the face with impossible odds.

Was he using fucking assassins against you or something? Cause that shit alone is CR 7 iirc, while CR isn't good for budgeting at level encounters it sure as shit will fuck up things far below it's level unless the players are damn good and built to break shit.

Dinosaurs are flipping rad, I can't wait!

>It's another "the DM forgot to give his super marysue OC ranged attacks so we can kite it with one person" episode

Are the dmsguild Artificer and Mystic different from the initial UA releases?

Not yet, no.

Either way I digress like said that's just bad DMing. Unless the DM explained before the game "hey encounters and enemies are set from the beginning so if people try really hard to warn you away from a place there might be shit there you have no chance against."

Nah I have it setup so grenades are quite limited. At lvl 5 you may use int for your attack and damage rolls but only 1 subclass is proficient in martial weapons.

I suppose I could make the class more strength oriented, but I don't want it to suffer from multiple ability dependencies.

One of the main feats of the class is the ability to impose disadvantage on creatures every encounter (1 disadvantage per 1 encounter) there are other limited abilities to do a good chunk of damage and blow out doors, floors, and walls - but raw at will damage isn't exactly the point

What I'm saying is that it doesn't need to be str or dex dependant. They can make a choice between which they want to use (likely based on their weapon of choice, or if they want to be fast, etc..) between str or dex.
I'm just saying it doesn't really make any since that you make it into a ranged spell attack.
Again, because the explosion happens on a hit or miss, the 1d10 is very inconsequential for the most part.
Making it a spell attack seems inconsistent with design. That's all I'm saying. Now, if these are some special magical grenades that "lock on" to a point or something, that's different. But if they're purely mechanical. I think a toss should reflect that. Just my opinion.

Nah.. basically here's what happened:
Questgiver:
>>"Clear out my warehouse.. don't use fire spells cause it's a firetrap"
>>Attacked on sight by wererats
>>Chase off leader through a back tunnel
>>Take 2 rats hostage and bind them
Next session, level to 4, but does not take effect until next long rest
>>Questgiver comes back
>>Questgiver interrogates rats
>>Leader walks through front door with backup
>>Cleric initiates combat in surprise round
>>Bound rat breaks free and 1 shots questgiver
>>Leader procedes to 1 shot half the party
>>TPK
>> "I thought you guys would talk it out"

???

Nah they aren't magical.. it's just difficult for me to interpret the initial damage is all.

Using the Dex or strength roll seems to say to me that if you "hit" the attack they take the initial damage due to the force of a grenade physically hitting them.. which just seems stupid.

I interpret landing a spell attack based on intelligence to mean that you are smart enough to create a more potent grenade therefore dealing more damage.

If you don't want to have any kind of "thunk" of the grenade hitting someone, then remove it entirely.

Rather, only include the dex save based on intelligence then.
>half damage on success

That's perfectly reasonable.

Fucking classic That DM level shit right here.

user, does your party smite evil?

I sure hope they do...

I'm currently creating a setting, a western theme with a litttle bit of mad max in there and I'm currently working on factions to populate the continent. The list I have is:

>Human/Dwarf Alliance: The new settlers, ~5-6 decent sized settlement, basically the main "civilization" in the new frontier
>Elves: Basically native Americans, tribal nomads, though mostly friendly with the new civilizations, (aside from Drow) the majority keep distance. There are exceptions, like some elves working in towns as hunters, crafters or diplomats.
>Three different bandit factions fighting for control of the larger desert area. One with a pirate theme, one with a full Western bandit theme and one I haven't fully thought of a theme for.
>Gnolls: More primitive bandit types, brutal with cruder technology. One major settlement, where other races can go as long as they are careful not to anger anyone. Gnolls aren't entirely stupid, bloodthirsty beasts and are somewhat intelligent, though still not particularly friendly. Can speak broken common.
>Lizardmen: Swamp cannibals. 99% hostile, unless you can convince them you're worth more alive. Don't speak common tho
>Kobolds: Split into two rival factions, metallic 'bolds in the desert, following a Brass dragon, and chromatics in the swamp following a Black dragon. Metallic bolds have been gifted metal work from their leader, and tend to wear bright scale mail armour and spears, with a full military tradition type thing going. The chromatics are more tribal, using poisons, weapons of bone and guerilla tactics.
>Yuan-Ti: Mayan civ, somewhere in the jungle.
>Tabaxi: Desert gypsies/merchants, basically Khajit ripoffs, not a huge amount of.
>Another group of humans in the northeastern grasslands, the Kingsman, who shun the new technology (guns, vehicles etc) and live a "primitive" existence in their castle. Plate armour, swords, archers and wizards. Basically a normal classic fantasy faction.

Is this too many? Should I add anything/change shit?

So. Last session for a month or so. Was also the first session of a new campaign (players insisted). Went...interestingly. Party is now trapped in a city lost in between Time and Not!Time and surrounded by an army of golems that think they are a slave rebellion.

What do?

Every setting needs halfings.

Riding velociraptors, or equivalent.

Honestly, I've never liked halflings or gnomes, usually if someone wants to play them I have them as either half human, half dwarf or half dwarf half elf.

Speaking of not included races, goblins and orcs are either parts of bandit groups or in lower class parts of the cities.

Gnomish scavengers interspersed between the 3 bandit factions. Master blaster types.

That is a wizard.

I actually like to replace Halflings with Goblins.

>WotC will disappoint us, either they'll nerf mystic into the ground, or leave it mostly as is and it'll be fucking strong as hell for the game range they think everyone plays.
Only the second scenario is disappointing.

The first is good. What's the problem exactly? Are you just some power gaming faggot who wants all the utility and jack-of-all-trades, master of all?

Let them be super versatile and able to fill in every role, but to a poor extend. They should be somewhat able to do roguish things, but be shit at it compared to a rogue, melee combat like a fighter, but be shit in comparison, and so on.

Velociraptors are fucking small.