Tiny Size Characters

My DM friend will be hosting a new mini campaign for a group of new players plus me, something rules light to introduce them to 5eDnD/tabletop games in general. He is going to be lenient with character creations. So I'm going to take this as a opportunity to try out a idea I always wanted to play, a Fairy Druid. I don't doubt there being a problem, but I want to after this is over to move this pc into our regular games. So I want to flesh out the game mechanism/abilities for it beforehand. Something concrete for how things like fly/inventory/damage will work. I been reading around, and there are some things that might work.

Have anyone here played a tiny sized pc, or had a player play one? Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/37095567/#37102349
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Continued

My thoughts for how the game might handle a fairy character.
Flying:a) play a wingless fairy and ignore unless cast fly spell
b) max fly height and fly endurance based on level/strength modifier. Suffer exhaustion if exceed endurance limit. at high lvl remove limits?
c) Cast 'Fly' on self as racial ability, needs short/long? rest to recharge
d) leaves behind a light trail when moving. disadvantage on moving stealth checks

Inventory: a)entrust other players/animal companions with loot, have a small carry weight
b) 1min fairy ritual to shrink any standard items to fit in bag, item must be able to be stored in a normal character bag

Equipment a) Have DM include tiny size items in loot-table
b)same as inventory. 1min ritual to shrink items, no fast looting
c)tiny sized items must be custom crafted by a npc/the pc
d)weapons/magic? have reduced damage, but improve accuracy

I like pixies but I cannot stand halflings and warcraftesque gnomes.

Yeah, here's what you do: don't. If you want to be tiny, pick a small race and flavour it as a tiny one that is mechanically exactly the same as the small race you chose. Do anything else and it will fall apart.

Aaracokra get unrestricted flight at level 1. 5e doesn't care about balance

want to play a tiny character and your response is "don't", real helpful. As for flavoring a small race into tiny, that just won't work when rp'ing. Too much of a difference and opens up too much confusion.

sure mechanically it won't fall apart, but it will when role-playing. a gnome can carry a potion but how can that 1ft tall pixie do it

People don't want to put in the mental effort to make a tiny race, especially not in a system as steeped in it's own gamist isms as 5e, so you will be mostly on your own.

A ritual to reduce item size is dumb, just give yourself 2 or 3 strength and keep a pack mule.
Just copy the flying speed of the sprite/pixie and say you need to make a con save or fall on the ground if you're damaged in flight.

pixie magic

>1min ritual to shrink items
This is a terrible idea.

Keep it simple, stick to the usual rules.

I did this once for a GM character, because it kept it as a "Navi" like character, who was actually useful in combat, but only slightly so.

1. Unlimited flight. This is not a problem, trust me.
2. Count the same a normal sized character for the purposes of enemies targeting you. No penalties to be hit, seen, etc.
3. Items must be made for your size. If races of this size is just uncommon to the point where anybody from a major town knows they exist, that should be a fine RP drawback.
4. Don't touch the damage or accuracy you have. Keep it as a small character, restricted in movement speed (20 seems fitting), but just prevent them from using heavy weapons. The rest of the weapon types does the same damage, but needs to be custom made.
5. Don't restrict them more than you have to - a Fairy wearing plate armour is fine, if it has the strength to do so, and can get one tailor made for it. Heavy weapons are an issue because the damage is assumed to be tied to the size - Thus, the equivalent of a Greatsword is just a Longsword.

>3. Items must be made for your size. If races of this size is just uncommon to the point where anybody from a major town knows they exist, that should be a fine RP drawback.
They would not be able to use literally any piece of loot though. That's a problem in a game about getting loot.

op here. Hence the reasoning behind having a fairy shrink spell, so you can wield dungeon loot items or at least have the gm include tiny sized items when calculating rewards.

>storm a eccentric wizard's tower. Discover he is a avid doll maker and likes to enchant little outfits for them.

>storm a eccentric wizard's tower. Discover he is a avid doll maker and likes to enchant little outfits for them.
Well I'll be putting that one in the folder for oneshots to run in the future

* A good time for the player to pick up crafting
* Rewards could still fit as the one paying up for whatever task has had time to get size appropriate rewards
* Pathfinder and likely DnD have all wondrous items, clothing and jewelry resize automatically so "only" weapons/armor are an issue.

If they are new players, playing something out of the handbook is a poor idea.
You know all those stories where new people make regular character and a player that the DM knows makes an unique one? You're being that guy, just make a regular dude since it'll be a short campaign

For actual rules, just pick the small character ones and make them more extreme. Then look into the monster itself for ideas of what it might have.

>Pathfinder and likely DnD have all wondrous items, clothing and jewelry resize automatically so "only" weapons/armor are an issue.
If that's the case, why wouldn't weapons and armor resize too?

No one outside of organized play is likely to argue much for houseruling that

OP, if you are playing with total newbies, joining with a weird, exotic concept that will require a fuckload of houserules and special cases is a TERRIBLE idea.
Remember, the other players are new. What is refreshing variety to you is outlandish and confusing to them. If you were at my table and you insisted on doing that, I'd call you That Guy.

You misunderstand, these aren't "normal" people newbies. New to tablegames but not new to anime/nerd stuff. I fully expect to be playing in a group full of oc/magicrealm special snowflakes. I already ok'd playing a fairy with him.
So if I'm That Guy for wanting to take the opportunity to try something new, well I'm glad your not my gm.

Hey, I think it's a fun concept, both for OP to play as and for me-as-a-hypothetical-GM to handle. But if the other players are constantly confused it won't be fun for them. In a vaguely experienced group, I'd happily work with user to allow it.

That's a big risk your GM is taking, and I personally wouldn't take it, but fair enough. Your game sounds like it'll be (at best) a blast or (at worst) a glorious trainwreck. I hope your GM and group can handle it all so it'll be the former.

To actually answer your question, this user once had a PC who was a fairy in a lantern. Maybe you'll find his posts useful?
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/37095567/#37102349

>Hence the reasoning behind having a fairy shrink spell
As a GM, I would never fucking give any of my players an on-demand shrink spell at level 1.

You may not realize how abusive this shit can be, but any player worth their salt will be able to cause havoc with something like this.

Fuck level 1 fly, THIS is worth banning a race for.