Drukhari Discussion

Let's get a thread going about the Dark Eldar/Drukhari in 8e.

And if you must Drew Carey meme, get it over with and contribute to the discussion.

Lot's of folks are saying DE are better than ever. Is that just general core rules, or is it army rules?

I play haemonculus covens, and I can't help but feel things are not as good losing our fnp and instead getting an invul. But I am already under points count compared to my 7e list, so that's something. How do you think your stuff will fare?

"Entries in Duke Sliscus's diary"

If I had to be a regular non-vehicle troop in the 40k, I would be a Scourge.

Really slow tonight.

It's either because so few play dark eldar, or people are sick of discussing 8e, or because I titled the thread with drukhari.

I happen to like the new name, sounds cool. Dark eldar always seemed like calling them emo eldar.

>Calling them Drukhari

that's your first mistake

THey will always be Dark Eldar.

4u

Give it time. Less and less people over time call them imperial guard lately.

>Drukhari
what. Really?

They got a rename, but really the term drukhari is what they call themselves. Apparently it's somewhere in the fluff but I'm not read up enough on it to back that up.

Eldar stuff have the aeldari keyword. (Pronounced eeldary)

MAKE COMMORRAGH GREAT AGAIN

Supreme Overlord Vect is the only true leader of the Eldar race, protecting us in his supreme wisdom from the pathetic stagnation of the craftworlders and the false prophets with their daemonic pets.

I'm so sad they didn't do data slates for next or even the Baron. For those of us with those models still.

They stopped selling rough riders and the AM index got them, what gives GW?

No, they call themselves eldarith ynneas

Am actually looking to get into DE once 8th comes out. Basic troops with dark lances in raiders can mean that raider essentially becomes a ravager (because of the open-top rule).

and more and more people are faggots daily but that doesn't change the fact that Astra Militarum and Drukhari are really stupid names.

I agree, why make the name more complicated and hard to remember. imperial guard is made up of imperial guard, why change it to Astro Militar-who-gives-a-fuck

Why are people so assblasted over Drukhari? I think it's way more stupid that a faction/nation refers themselves as Dark People/Dark Eldar then something that sounds like it's translated out of their native tongue.

It's change. Autists don't like change.

So is darklight spam our new meta? Because even with predetermined combat drugs, I don't think H2H wych cult units will cut it. Although T5 reavers sounds pretty nice...

Dark Eldar never referred to themselves as "Dark Eldar". Dark Eldar was the Imperial title for them, just like Tyranids is for the nids (who probably don't refer to themselves as anything and are known with a different title by the eldar for example).
Dark Eldar called themselves Eldarith Ynneas.

Wyches can disembark then charge. You keep them in combat and no one can shoot in and they get a 4+ invul, not to mention on turn 3 they hit on 2+

My friend is picking Drukhari™ as her first army. She don't want to spend a lot of money at once (luckily I can pass her few brushes and other hobby stuff) so she wants to buy a Start Collecting, a Kabalite Skysplinter box and maybe a single Succubus (she just caught her eye). I'm gonna buy her also a unit of Wyches as a gift so she can play SW:A. She will end up with
>an Archon
>a Succubus
>2 Raiders
>3 Reaver Jetbikes
>2x 10 Kabalite Warriors
>10 Wyches
Is it a good starter set for a newbie? Should she drop something and spend her money on other more useful box? I'm also new and I was never into DA and with new rules I'm completely green

Apart from the pistols from the unit they're engaged with. Or if they fail their roll off to keep enemy unit engaged.

After reading all the rules for them (8th edition), i would say this is a pretty decent start. Would put her at or over 500 points so playing small games would be no problem

Pretty good yeah.

Gangs of Commorragh is a great deal if she wants a bunch of Reavers and Hellions.

She will be fine, having a bucket of troops for starter is always good, both for painting practice and for the ovreall usefulness of having lots of models (useful for count as tests).
Meta will shift so there is no point in thinking about it.
Besides let newbs play wathever they like to. Adjusting the playstile can come later.

>Troops as painting practice.

Especially true of this army! Since I can count the number of times I have put my infantry on the table on 1 hand!

I think Drukhari does sound better than Eldarith Ynneas to be honest.

Can't other units still fire pistols into a CC that they are not currently engaged with? Or have i miss read?

What way are people leaning on outfitting scourges?

Dark Lances?

Dark lances, Dark lances everywhere.

A model can fire a pistol even if there are enemy units within 1 inch but must target the closest enemy unit.
In such circumstances the model may do so even if friendly models are within 1 inch
Or something like that

havent been paying attention to leaks, they finally good?

Yes.

Easily one the the best now.

Scourges kick ass (all the weapon options you can take).

Raiders can move and shoot with no penalty.

Darklight weapons kick ass now.

Ravager became awesome.

Wyches, though squishy can get kick ass in combat and can stop squads from falling back from melee. (hydra Gauntlets are the way to go)

WWP removed

Combat drugs + power from pain also seems pretty cool

I completely agree, I don't get how people can like such an overly long and frankly pretentious sounding name.

Because such a name fits the character of Dark Eldar perfectly

I really like the upgrades to running Hameonculus armies. Though I'm starting to forget if their big sadist Medic boss gives his troops +1 toughness or if I imagined that.

>its a gw makes lore to shame and embarrass players to force them to play the only army that matters (sm) episode

and you guys thought 40k wasnt going to get the smegma treatment

Because some of us actually like the race and it's culture (and language)

Geedubs only renamed them to fucking copyright the name, same way they butchered most of fantasy races names in Age of shit.

I honestly dont see what was so great about Fantasy, more customization for units that will get wiped out in a single turn. It's elitists like you that made it so hard to get into, and why GW moved to AOS

What's everyone's thoughts so far on the viability of an Archon with a full court?

I honestly dont think most of the court are worth their point, some are almost as much as full squads, but not nearly as good

True mostly like the Sslyth getting better as bodyguards. Also the Ur-ghul looks to be better

I can see how they would be useful, since they would basically extra wounds for your lord, but for 44 points, where the lord himself is 54

Ouch that is expensive points wise

The haemonculus only treated the unit he was attached to to be in a turn ahead in power from pain. Now he just grants units nearby with +1t. A nice bonus, but with the new wound chart, having an extra toughness doesn't mean as much as it used to.

The cronos gave everyone nearby +1 to their fnp roll, now he just gives a small boost in cc. This I think is the most disappointing nerf in the whole book.

Yeah the cronos is unfortunate and the toughness buff is at least something good I suppose even if it's the usefulness is reduced in the new edition. Still it's made me plenty interested in trying the army out.

I think the "better than ever" has been spawned by the fact that a lot of the Deldar units have either not gone up in points, or are cheaper. Compare this with a lot of other armies, where points costs have gone through the roof, and things are looking pretty good for the boys and girls of Commoragh.

I will add that there are exceptions to the above, most notably Raiders, but a lot of these are for units with very niche roles. For example: Hellions, Court of Archon, Beastmasters. Furthermore, the price hike on some units has been matched by buffs that were auto-takes in 7e, such as Night Shields on Raiders.

I think another major point in our favour is the switch to the wounds system for vehicles. A venom now costs 65 points (if memory serves correct) and comes with 6 wounds. Overall, I think our vehicles are going to play a lot less like paper boats. However, I should point out that there are plenty of weapons in the new edition that can do D6 damage, so there will be instances where venoms are blown up in one shot, but I would rather take a 1/6 chance of this happening over the current situation, which involves we sweating whenever a Lascannon happens to be in range.

Oh, and if that doesn't tickle your pickle, vehicles would seem to be a viable option for close combat in the new edition, and I think DE players are going to have some fun with that. I'll admit that I want to see how the rules play out before I commit to this, but I'm hoping that I can finally literally throw a venom in to a Riptide's face. And about time too!

It is true things have generally gotten cheaper for the deldar, but also the core game system changing is heavily going to benefit them.

An exercise, i would say, if you took them from 7e and ported them with no change at all, they would still be much stronger than before.

you better not be giving her shit for free just cause she is a she

>Drukhari
i hope you'll get raped by the entire (((Astra Militarium)))

yeah, i don't want to play the kind of games you play. enjoy your age of sigmar.

What are your plans for your HQs? I used to put my characters with a group of incubi or sslyth in a venom, but now incubi don't share their boats and courts are expensive.

Man, I already gave her a D and she gave me a AoS starter set to play with me

how do they not share their boats exactly?

It's not true. There is no indication on their data slate that they can't ride raiders with anyone else.

Maybe venoms, but any min5 unit cant share rides in venoms.

I didn't see people throw autistic shit-fits when Dark Elves kept being referred to as "Druchii." So I don't see why you should throw autistic shit-fits now.

It's change. Autists don't like change.

Ah. Well, I guess I'll enjoy my Druchii, Drukhari, and Dr. Drew podcasts in spite of them, then.

it is stupid hating of change on the fans part, however it is also stupid 'needing to copyright things you don't need to own a copyright on' for GW.
The correct response is just to ignore it and use the old name. New people will use the old name because it is easier to pronounce and remember, so it's not a problem.

I get that. I do. But I just like the new name, it does sound cool. I'ma use it regardless

You can also do what a lot of players have been doing and use the in-lore term "Commorites."

We are now deadly than we were in 6/7ed without losing too much durability.
The only things i can see being problems are the lack of synergy within the faction and people needing to know how to play them

Take the new Reavers for example:
>DO you take Talon or Caltrops
>Do i run them 2x3 or 1x6
>What drugs do i take
My Reaver loadout is 6 with Agoniser, 2 Heat Lanes and Caltrops, with the +1T drugs every game
This turns them into a decent melee unit, with 2 wounds T5 and moving at least 14" a turn

No longer are they the melee machines they were - instead they act as character hunters and something to tie up dedicated ranged units like devastators/Havocs or Heavy Wep teams. Caltrops are there so i can hold the enemy in place as long as i need to

That's a pretty good trick. I was thinking of using T-drug reavers in a 6-man squad to screen for my scourges, who will be the real damage dealers of my army.

The probelm with the Caltrops is that it worded so weirdly thtat you can't really tell if they trigger on your falling back or the enemy
If it's the former then i'd rather take them over the talon since at most you'll be charging every other turn anyway

But if it's the latter then it's dumb as shit and pointless to take

The synergy thing is an issue, but they fit the fluff so much it's actually wonderful. Haemys buff covens, succy buffs wych cult, archon buffs kabal, etc.

I really do love the change to drugs. Choice over random definitely makes the units much more flexible and viable.

wych cults make amazing tar pits.
Reavers get T5, caltrops mean they don't want to run.
Wychs are cheap, 4++ in melee, 50% chance of no running away.
The beastmaster, give him the LD drug, have the flocks use his leadership 9, cover your opponents in 4W bases that cost 7pts each.

hellions... nope, still the worst.

Cheers mate, fuck these age of girlymen names.

>hellions... nope, still the worst.
Even with HnR, speed and D2 weapons?

I really want to fit in a 10 man squad of Mandrakes in my list but i can't trim it anymore fat

What's the space equivalent of my beloved Woad Aelfes?

I don't think they are terrible, just the worst.
They have only a 5+ save and can't be in transports, so they have to prey they survive the round getting up there. You could give them +1T, but reavers T5, so much better.
Once they get there, they do a nice thing.A2 +1S, D2. But what are they supposed to be hitting? They've got no AP, so most of the things D2 helps with gets good saves. And if they hit back, they evaporate.

The only thing I think they might be good at is hunting down light vehicles. Most are only 4+ saves, and lots of wounds. S+1 drug means they actually wound most speeders on 4+.
You could knock away at DTs, lose the S+1 for A or WS drug. Just drown them in 5+ to wound hits and hope they fail some 3+ saves, but then the transport just pulls away next turn and the hellions die.

>hellions... nope, still the worst.
With combat drugs they aren't as shit as last edition. You could have a unit of s5 dmg2 attacks that zip from melee to melee, still benefitting from pfp.

That's a hell of a lot more than you got in last edition. But I do not think they are the worst in the codex.

You forgot Hellions that can fallback and assault with their D2 weapons and poison

Hellions with +2 speed hunting characters with their 18" assault 2 poison weapons that they can shoot and advance with

For some reason I just thought of them falling back, then charging the target again so they are guaranteed first strike. A situational bonus, sure, but it is something.

But also getting them into melee with a weak target could protect them for a turn as you get closer to the juicier targets in the back. D2 is nothing to scoff at, even though there is no AP

if your opponent doesn't think to make sure to make it so that the character is never the closest model.
you can't shoot over units to characters.

also why not use scourges.
A little slower, but cheaper, assault 3, and can just deploy them into the right position.

Fuck that time for Lady Malys to step up.

It's HER TURN.

Doubt it. I hear more and more people pronounce Imperial Guard as Astra Militarum.

Hellions are cheaper (because scourges have to buy the guns) and have better melee. Hellion speed and fall back flexibility (they can fall back AND shoot AND charge) can give them a little more interesting battlefield role, and makes them feel like a crazy hoverboard gang.

Plus their models are cooler. I plan on mixing some with the black ark corsairs for a unique look.

How are wyches amazing tarpitting when it's a completely random dice roll to leave combat and you have no way to modify the roll in your favor?

Banshees (or maybe their exarch) have an ability that flat out says "enemies in combat with this unit may not fall back". That's what a tarpitting looks like

>Hellions are cheaper (because scourges have to buy the guns)
the splinter carbine like the splinter pod costs 0.

>Hellion speed and fall back flexibility (they can fall back AND shoot AND charge)
well yes, you're describing why the hellions are better at charging into melee, but that wasn't the question.
Also I'd rather be able to start where I want to be than be slightly faster at getting there from somewhere else.

>Plus their models are cooler.
matter of taste, I love the scourge models.
but you do you.

it's a 50% chance to prevent. Everyone else has a 0% chance to prevent.
and no, banshees don't have that ability, or anything like it. They have always attack first, and the exarch has -1 to hit that unit.

>the splinter carbine like the splinter pod costs 0.
Yes they have the splinter carbine, but they don't have the +1s d2 weapons and drugs. Nobody runs scourges without buying special weapons, because they are not a melee unit.

Hellions are. If you want a very fast hard hitting melee, take hellions over scourges.

if you want a fast hard hitting melee unit, I'd take reavers. I'd lose d2, but fuck that for T5.

but the point I was responding to was about using the hellions as shooters. see, only talking about the gun, no charging.
And fuck yeah I'll take the scourges with just the base gun. It's 18" assault 3, on a 14 pt body I can deep strike with and fly around the battlefield with.
Why do I am I suppose to dislike that thing?

>asking about AoS 40k
>her (male) first army
>she (female) just caught her (male) eye
>she (male) can play

You can shoot a unit, assault a transport, disengage, and repeat basically.

See above. Scourges are great. Arguably one of the best units in the Codex, but they lack versatility. Drugs are chosen at the start of the game, so if I need to be hyper mobile, I give them +2 move. If I need them to be tougher, I give them T4, if I need them to be stronger, I give them S5, ect. Shooting is only part of the package. S4D2 is nothing to shy away from and they can put some damage into vehicles in melee where they also can't be shot at. I'll happily shoot some Marines, charge a predator, put some damage into it, fall back later, and do it all again. They're assholes.

Scourges as HW platforms are too good not to take
>DS Heat Lances delete Characters and lower T vehicles
>Blaster Scourges are aggressive Anti everything
>Dark Lance Scourges have insane threat range, and can deal with flyers
I'd never take Scourge naked, they're far too good

What i'm more surprised is that Stinger Pods on Talos are actually viable now

>if you want a fast hard hitting melee unit, I'd take reavers. I'd lose d2, but fuck that for T5.
They are also 30pts apiece. I thought we were talking about a cheap option.

I agree with you though a little. They are not amazing or a must-have in every DE list, but i think a player won't be punished for taking them (like they were in 7e), especially if he knows their strengths and chooses the right drug for the situation.

What's the niche of a bloodbride? They seem to be a weird middle ground between Wyches and Incubi

>You can shoot a unit, assault a transport, disengage, and repeat basically.
you mean shoot a unit, assault a transport.
The transport falls back. The hellions all die because they are T3 5+ save.
Basically that is my question for you. How do they not just all die?

blaster scourge can be blaster trueborn on a venom.
Dark lance scourge, seems overkill on the threat range. Why not a ravanger.
Heat lances, might be great, but I'm pretty sure you can't be in range the turn you deploy.

Also none of those are good vs mass infantry. Sure you can use the cannon venoms for that, but at that point you've got venoms and why not trueborn blasters.

also, you can just take more scourges. You got your HW platform ones. then take some naked ones clear out any chaff.

I don't feel they are punishingly bad, but they are the worst of the wych cult options.
Mainly because they are tissue paper and have no way to avoid that. If you give them the T4, then you can't use that for another wych cult unit. And T5 reavers.

you've got 20 pts left so screw it upgrade the a wych unit.
They aren't even a midpoint between the two. all they are are wyches with extra attacks.
I guess if you really wanted to push the aura from the succubus. but it's almost a 50% cost increase for an extra attack per model.

>deploying HL scourges
for what purpose? With the DS rules i can be 9" from anything 100% of the time

My list for reference
>HQ
Archon: Agoniser, Blast Pistol - 68
4x Sslyth - 176
[Venom: 2x Splinter Cannons - 95]

>Troops
5x Warriors: Blaster - 50
5x Warriors: Blaster - 50

>Elites
5x Trueborn: 2x Dark Lances, 2x Blasters - 125
5x Trueborn: 2x Dark Lances, 2x Blasters - 125

>Fast Attack
5x Scourges: 4x Heat Lances - 170
5x Scourges: 4x Dark Lances - 150
6x Reavers: Agoniser, 2x Heat Lances, 2x Caltrops - 244

>Heavy Support
3x Talos: 6x Scapels, 3x Stinger Pods - 366
Total: 1999/2000 points

With Reavers and Talos i've already got 610/1000 points i must deploy on the board, what the other 400 points will be depends on the game

>for what purpose? With the DS rules i can be 9" from anything 100% of the time
no, you have to be MORE than 9" away, and the half way point is 9" so you can't get the bonus the turn you deep strike. That's what I meant.

Interesting i didn't realise that you had to specifically be more than 9" away, i thought it was GW just saying 9" or more

Oh well just means i'll use them T1 to fly around and cap objs

Exodites

So Heat Lances are Anti TEQ
Darklight stuff is Anti Vehicle/Anti Everything
Poison is anti Horde

Where does that leave Haywire?

Heat lance is anti characters. Rolling 2d6 and picking highest will melt them away. Usually TEQ will have 2-3 wounds and that could be overkill

Poison is anti 1w infantry, and anti monsters, because a guaranteed 4+ on really tough shit is an ideal pairing.

I feel like you could go from outrider to battalion.
Not saying it's necessarily better, but a slight shift to try out.
A haemonculus to follow the Talos (T8 because yes), and another troop choice.