Sell me on your homebrewed setting, Veeky Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

streamable.com/lb8cs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The universe is a giant space wolf made of flaming star-hate that endlessly hunts down other possible universes to consume.

There's some magical dimension of infinite power that manifests itself as an infinite dungeon behind doorways and caves.

It is always changing, so if you get lost, you're never getting out again.

It's based on some board game I used to play as a kid where you had a dungeon made up out of square cards, and each turn you could take a dungeon piece card, and shove it into the dungeon, in order to trap or hinder the other players and get away with the treasure yourself. Forgot the name.

The dungeon also subtly changes based on your thoughts, so DON'T THINK ABOUT GETTING LOST! AND DON'T THINK ABOUT GETTING KILLED BY A GIANT DRAGON!

DON'T THINK ABOUT IT!

These are interesting concepts, but if I were to play in your setting, how would it affect my experience every session? What would be the most attractive aspect of your setting from player's perspective?

Imagine that you have to convince a player to join a lengthy campaign set in it your homebrew.

Six "gods" or more like living weapons were created by warring powers in the Universe. Frankly not one of them remembers how long the actual war lasted but they all had the ability to grow more powerful and in the end they were the only things that were left. Six creatures that had trouble even remembering how they looked like before everything started. And nothing else was left for they consumed everything to make themselves more powerful. War lost any meaning or purpose.

So they decided to create a new world. They checked some parallel realities to get some ideas but for a starting point they chose a simple flat world growing from the origin point. And they constantly add new things to it. Sometimes going as far as changing even rules of how it operates.

Currently it looks like patches of highly "magical" lands dotting giant wasteland. This lands are also pretty dangerous and filled with creatures/monsters spawning from pits. So sapient species that procreate through normal means must ward them off. But these same creatures are a source of many special materials that make live easier.

Also all creatures have an inbuilt power limit that anyone could in theory reach, though amount of training and time needed for reaching higher "levels" rises exponentially.

The star god got bored and made two teams of 6 children to fight each other. But then one team had a shitter that ate his teammates to achieve ultimate power.

It's for a book oh god I'm never going to get this thing written if I spend all my free time on Veeky Forums not an rpg, but Veeky Forums never really cares about petty details like topic relevancy to traditional games.

It's set in a rather small world, about the size of Europe, that used to be united under one great nation until, 245 years ago, they supposedly committed a sin so great God razed their civilisation and smashed the continent into an archipelago.
In the time since, 2 main kingdoms have risen, and rebuilt society to about late renaissance tech. They’re constantly warring over some part of the rubble, either fertile farmlands or ancient ruins with valuable artifacts. One strange part of the world though is that undead periodically rise from corpses unprovoked (it’s unknown if this is natural or is a by-product of the apocalypse), and both kingdoms frequently war with the risen dead when united under a Dead King.
However, the real threat is a small, but growing cult that supposedly traces its roots back to the Ancients. They’re giant, blue, twisted people who practise reality-bending magics. The plot begins following soldiers who are simply fighting in the 3rd undead war, but eventually come into contact with the cult, and have to unravel their secrets and the true reason for the apocalypse.

I made a thread about it some weeks ago, had some really interesting ideas suggested by many anons. It's about a world where humanity is more or less ruled by a race named the "high ones", natural-born archmages who fight each other for land and influence for fun. Basically the plot is how a church founded by a human heroe is waging an all-out war against them, pushing every High One to try and overcome their individualistic nature to unite against enraged humans. As of now the setting is divided between "human zone" and "high ones zone", one side populated by selfish nobles, some of which trying to mend.for collaborating to hundreds of years of oppression, and the other side is slowly learning the power of religion and its warrior-monks.
It's a heavily magical setting where a lot of humans can become overpowered mages if they get the right attention from a High One, but magic is very instinctive having no circles, chants or rituals, and thus has a bit unrefined effects (putting someone to sleep can be very difficult).
I haven't finished running the campaign in the setting, but I have all the players and almost every character, so once everything's done I'll make the follow-up thread I promised.

>Writing a book and wasting time on Veeky Forums
My man. How many pages in ?

Heyyyyyyyy, I remember that thread.

Was tres bien, mate.

>It is always changing, so if you get lost, you're never getting out again.
If it's always changing, doesn't that mean you're always lost, by definition?

2/9 chapters done, about 30 pages, the entire thing storyboarded (for lack of a better word) to pretty fine detail, just doing the grunt work now.
Your setting sounds interesting, the high ones thing reminds me of LOTR wizards, which are angels or something? Warrior-monks are always a good idea.

This one's also for a book and I've actually mostly finished it!

It did the Warhammer thing where some Lords of Law came to a new place, created a bunch of people, helped out the natives, and then Chaos came in and kicked the sandcastles down. Now it's a bunch of small empires surrounded by dark forests and weird shit, and even worse stuff in the other continents. The war between the Law and Chaos is at full swing, neither side is actually that good but not that evil either, and the main hero takes the side of Balance in between.

But it also does the old Weird Tales thing where the other planets and moons also have people and you might be able to visit them, and the world has a bunch of lost ancient space technology hidden if you know where to look.

The main setting is itself a moon, orbiting a gas giant, causing all manner of weird weather shit that I've told Veeky Forums about a couple times: basically there's two whole sets of seasons, with a solar "year" that lasts full thirty years, compared to the single year it takes to go around the gas giant. Apart from the weather, it also creates a bunch of magical effects and arcane circumstances, some really weirdass flora and fauna, and of course a really pretty night sky.

Most of the people living about are humans, though some of them are a bit weirder. There's some beastmen and fairies living at the woods - there were elves too, but they did the Tolkien thing and buggered off - sun-worshipping Inca hawk people up in the mountains, beetle people, four-armed near-immortal tiger men ruling their own China/India kingdom, Deep Ones riding the monsoon rains to raid inland jungles, all kinds of tribesmen at the Chaos Wastes where laws of physics take a break (at the deserts near the equator, instead of the poles), Chaos Warriors wear living carapace armors instead of black steel, and occasionally you might spot a bugbear - a tiny sneaky cowardly thing that'd be better named as bugrat, or bugbunny.

Gods are dicks
thousands dead
more news at eleven.

Well, most people are in the state of pic related. Considering that you have a plan, you've might be doing a good job.

Try to push yourself out of your comfort zone to finish it. Your setup sounds pretty decent.

>And I've actually mostly finished it!

Well done! Good luck with publishing.

this one is pretty bad, and i dont plan on ever use it but heh, its fun to write it down somewhere

>world with two continents
>no magic, and the tech level is around first second decade of the 900's and early 30's
>those two continents once had been scourged by plague, that almost wiped the nations for good. Instead it menaged to forge a few nations with militaristic mentalities (as the lack of population and the lack of agricoltural production forced many societies to raid others)
>at the end two big authoritarian federations formed in each continent, this is where i rip off 1984 as they try to balance each other with an eternal war
>this doesnt work, and both fall, leaving thousands of city states and other smaller entities and a huge stockpile of weapons/veichles and so on
>its just "the italian city states+western but with tanks"

It's always changing, but there's a system to it. If you keep your shit together and know how the system works, you can navigate it.

Most people navigate it by sticking to "solid" parts of the dungeon - those are rooms, or even entire "structures" that have been locked into place by mighty individuals or organisations. You can dip into the random rooms for a few days and get back to the "solid" parts if you don't let your thoughts hurl you into the infinite depths.

There are also people (typically wizards) that (try) to spend weeks or even months in the random parts. Those people completely depend on their willpower - using their mind to summon forth a door back to "solid" rooms.

Thanks mate.
You could say they are a bit alike, yes. I like your setting too, it leaves room for a ton of potentially interesting stories. I love the concept of undead king.
It's good to have the whole thing planned. I have about the same amount already written (maybe a dozen pages more), but hell, I don't know what to write next. Keep going, I'll always relate to struggling writers, so you have all of Veeky Forums's support. Probably.

Humans weren't the first species chosen by God. His first favorites were the dinosaurs, but they strayed from him and thus had to be destroyed. Now they are back, with holy powers as God gave them too few limits and now he cannot defeat them without help.

DIVINOSAURS

(Das verrückte) Labyrinth

When you die, eventually you'll get back up. Could be in ten minutes, could be in ten years, but no matter what everyone who dies out West will one day rise from their grave, without memories but with echoes of their past skills hidden in their psyche. The condition of their body doesn't matter either, with ancient dead rising as whirling wraiths of corpse-dust, or fused into the overgrown landscape.
On top of that, the West is a dumping ground for the outcasts of proper society. Criminals, radicals, heretics, and other ne'er do wells come west across the ash deserts to make their fortune among the dead, where the laws of the world get stranger and stranger every day. Even so, they have made fortunes indeed, and rumor has it that some forces back East are beginning to get fed up with such criminal prosperity. There's even word that a crusade might be coming across the desert sometime soon, but to the average living or unliving inhabitant of the West, there are much more important things than some high-falootin' royals in a city you've never seen. Here in the West (or some say the Waste) there's a lot more dependent on a pistol at your side and a flask full of turpentine in your jacket.

You're the best.

10/10 kickstart it

Sounds like Cube but with magic and metaphysics

FUCK OFF NEVER POST THAT AGAIN

What's the matter mate?

You were winning and someone pushed the treasure away from you?

Ivalice meets Nausicaä

A strange land with stranger inhabitants, airships, bolt actions rifles

Time traveling evils, cruel machinations of long dead gods and a perilous unknowable east that keeps clawing at the fringes of civilization´

All that just to teach a bunch of murderhobos the values of friendship and western civilization

Was it just me or was Nausicaä really not that good?
I mean, it had an interesting visual design, mixing historical periods and tech, and the giant warrior and bugs were cool, but the story and characters were as shallow as it gets, the bad guys want to rule the world (bad) and want to destroy nature (bad), while Nausicaä is a pacifist (good) and an environmentalist (good)

Except the actual world of the setting was so much more complex than just "Don't kill the bugs", the poison forest was slowly spreading across the world and while yes, in several thousand years it might have fully detoxed the earth, to do that it would need to have spread everywhere and killed all humans. The opening shows just how destructive the poison forest was, and how humanity was in a fight for survival against it. It was us or them, attempting to destroy it was the moral action, Nausicaä was the one who was being stupid and stubborn, her moral superiority is hinged solely upon being bug jesus. If she wasn't bug jesus, everyone would have died. She never had to overcome any adversity or actually argue her position, we're meant to just automatically take her side because she's the protagonist, and she's only remotely right in her stance because of forces outside of her control, being the messiah.

It felt like a bad kids movie. If it wasn't for the stylised visual design, I would find no redeeming qualities in it. Nausicaä is the archetypal mary sue for me. Can you explain the appeal, or is it held so high because of nostalgia?

The manga is much better, but thats what you get when the movie is basically a simplified version of the first two books of a 7 volume series.

Nausicaa has the same problem all Studio ghibli movies have and that is that the female lead is buried under the baggage of ideological posturing.

Dont get me wrong, i dont mind the enviromentalism. But it leaves little room for much else character development.

That beeing said, maybe you should read the manga, aperently a lot of the characters that arent Nausicaa herself, most specifically Kushana, her quasi antagonist counterpart, are fleshed out a lot more and are given more personality than "antagonist"

>Visual design

Is what im stealing for my setting. Because thats most of what there is.
I thoroughyl enjoy the Caucasus like aesthetic it has going on for everything.
Its got that "European but not" thing going on that gets my aesthetic dick hard.

Also it merges bolt action rifles with swords and whatnot.
Which is realy what i wanna take away from.
That i combine with the upbeatness (at least in the "golden age" era games) of Ivalice together with its multitude of intelligent races and strange political systems.

>muh humanity must survive

This is why I hate retarded underaged faggot children that don't remember the existential terror of the Cold War.

World has gone through a few almost-apocalypses. Lots of ruins and lost lore around. My players love old ruins and lost lore.

the manga actually takes it further than that.
I guess a lot of it is born from anti militarism and the general aftershocks of the nukes and also the cold war.
But in the manga the story actually ends with "Humanity must die" for their sins.

Speciifcally Humanity isnt what Nausicaa or her people are, they are all artificial just like the sea of corruption or what its called and all the insects.

The real humans are in stasis and wait it out. In the "Purified" world the "Humans" that they created couldnt survive so it basically turns into the original humans having to go the way of the dodo for the "Less guilty" people to survive.

I didnt actually read the whole manga so i might be getting a few things wrong here.

I'm an environmentalist and a pacifist myself, but Nausicaä is a fucking strawman. Yes, Tolmekia and that other place are warmongering idiots who fucked everything up, but they're more morally in the right than the girl who just wants us to lie down and let the trees poison us. It's a grey universe that's being treated as black-and-white, hence the bad kids movie claim (although if it is just down to being a poor adaptation maybe I should read the manga). The valley of the wind is a nice ideal, but is unstable even in the story, as soon as a few spores land BAM everything is on fire. It's just told poorly.
The hobson's choice is basically "you get the cold war gone hot, or you can lie down and die of starvation", and asserting from the get-go that one of these is "good" and the other is "bad", while never trying to explain why you should believe this.

>underaged faggot children that don't remember [...] the Cold War
The Cold War ended 26 years ago.

People that are almost 40 today never got to experience the Cold War, they were too young to understand.

It is an age of imperial expansion as a newly discovered continent is being colonized by the wealthiest empires. Yet a secretive group of druids and elves that strongly support the natural world are covertly working against this expansion. Meanwhile several guilds and factions are vying for control of the lands as a power play to expand their own wealth and influence.

You are a fresh arrival in these savage lands, but which faction you have come to support (if any) has yet to be seen. Which group will you push for ultimate control of this new world?

The main idea for the setting in my mind is that mana is inherently unstable and extremely volatile the rests comes from that main fact.
>Having large amounts of mana around makes it extremely likely that something horrible will happen like a firestorm out of nowhere if it's wild or transformations if someone has absorbed so mages are rare.
>The Gods need great amounts of it to make there creations however they can only store a small amount in there own domains and cannot gather it themselves and so must use mortals or there own servants to gather and hold it until it's needed
>If the gods are unable to fully control mana, even in there own domains, that shows how powerful mana but also how weak the gods are so they each have there own restrictions placed on them. The god of death for example cannot force anyone to follow him to the afterlife.
There are quite a few other things but that's the basic highlight of it; I can go on if anyone is interested.

Are you retarded? Don't you know how fiction, media and entertainment has a delay?

When I was in school I was still watching cartoons about apocalyptic nuclear fears and I'm only 30 years old, fucking retarded mongoloid autist.

Think before you write some dumb retarded shit like that.

Dude, calm down. We're discussing a cartoon.
Not everyone gets around to watching the same media, and not everyone grows up with that stuff. Maybe you should try and explain why the nihilism and misanthropy really speaks to you, instead of just calling people gay nigger retard faggots?

Did you seriously grow up in a cave without TV?

Or are you literally a 10 year old nu-male who grew up on tumbrl cartoons?

Someone here has serious anger issues.

Pretty sure it is less close to someone, and nearer the everyone mark.
>Somemostfolks.

Protestant zombie cowboys Vs. Catholic crusaders with shotguns fight to decide the fate of the dead

I'm still working on it, but there's the basics.

Though part of Veeky Forums is indeed pretty toxic, you gotta admit that this guy is exceptional.
I'd bet on a vocal minority.

Two of my favourite films are the 1951 "The Day the Earth Stood Still" and "Doctor Strangelove".

What the fuck do the far left and nuMales have to do with this. I'm pretty sure if I was far left I would be lauding Nausicaä as the greatest film ever made because its message lines up with my ideology. Think before you /pol/. If you fucking explained your point for two lines instead of just ranting about the fucking kids shitting up my mongolian pottery board I could maybe understand what the fuck you're going on about so we can have a fucking discussion.

>Someone here has serious anger issues.
>on Veeky Forums

>vocal minority
>angry people
>on Veeky Forums

Just how new are you guys?

Veeky Forums is usually mostly cool. I've been here for several years now, and it's rare to see someone this triggered over somebody not liking his favourite film. Usually when people rant about the niggers here it's at least a little in jest.

My favorite setting I've ever made was a strange conglomeration of Ghostbusters, old mob movies, Call of Cthulhu, and Time/space Wizards. It was set somewhere in the early 20th century, based off of old maps and newspapers from the central Hudson Valley area of New York (where my college is located) and I've extensively mapped out locations and encounters. Basically Time Wizards and the Mob are causing all sorts of trouble around the area that the players will have to thwart. from uncovering mystery riverboat cruises full of strange creatures, to knocking off gambling dens, they're gonna have their hands full.

Sure there are some obvious surface level themes about environmentalism, but I always saw that aspect of the story as a done deal. We already fucked everything up; question is where do we go from here?

My takeaway was that sometimes, the best thing a powerless civilization can do is to face the realities of the situation and surrender amicably to circumstance, at least if the alternative mindset is to self-destructively rage against heaven and earth, flora and fauna; god doesn't care that you're sad you can't make the world perfect again. Nature doesn't actually care. It's an unpredictable system, and may just as well be hospitable as unhospitable to you.

But that's goes both ways; if you don't further ruin everything by stirring up an inherently chaotic system with a foolhardy desperate wrathful attempt to get it to do exactly what you want, then maybe you find the peace and time to search for what you need.
And if you do, you at least have a chance of finding it.

A few people here are still optimistic about humanity. Not many, but a few.
Don't break our dreams, we'll do it ourselves

When Nausicaä got crushed by the stampede, this was what I was thinking. I actually thought it was a really profound ending, showing that real sacrifice is necessary and the innocent sometimes die in the conflict.
Then it went and ruined it by making her bug jesus and giving us a saccharin sweet ending.

Also I'm pretty certain it actually is 100% about environmentalism. It's not a general stand-in for nature or god, it's meant to represent the environment.
The messages themselves aren't necessarily bad, I just felt they were told incredibly poorly. I should probably read the manga.

Fantasy late bronze age/late antiquity.

The first and most advanced (read: the only literate) civilization explored and colonized the known world until their hegemony was shattered by a barbarian invasion. The barbarian empire collapsed overnight, so now their former colonies have turned into hundreds of city-states or are ruled as petty kingdoms by the barbarian remnants at the edges of civilization. The original city from which civilization spread is ruled by a bloodline of wizard-kings, but the king only has authority over the capital and a few surrounding cities.

Elves have beards and are semi-civilized barbarians that live in a frozen shithole at the edge of an endless dark forest. Dwarves are arms dealers who have cornered the market because they forge their weapons in the fires of a dragon that lives under their city. Humans are split between the barbarian natives of the land and migrators from an eastern steppe/desert (stand-in for indo-europeans, greeks, iranians and so on) who created the first civilization, first alphabet and colonies.

The world outside of city walls and hillforts is dangerous because it's almost entirely claimed by wilderness and it's filled with monsters, wild animals, wicked fey and spirits, bandits, barbarians and roaming nomads.

And now it's being invaded by the equivalent of huns on steroids, except the huns are frenzied demons while the moon turns red and develops a reptilian eye when they're around.

Everything on the surface is spawn of Ancient Abomination/Titan/Wyrm/etc that was nailed to the planet by the Ancients. Intelligent race live in walled cities due to carcasses starting to spawn monsters in quicker rate.

While the manga kind of makes Nausicaa into bug jesus by the end, it's over the course of 1500+ pages and a lot more nuanced. Very much less "hurf durf humans bad, nature good".

Also as somebody already spoiled the relevant part, the actual villain is a conglomerate AI from the fallen age that is hell bent on purifying the world for baseline humanity. Which would make it inhospitable for the current population as they're purposefully adapted to the current polluted atmosphere and changing that immediately would kill 99% of them.

Dude, you do realise the entire argument has nothing to do with Nausicaa but about the zeitgeist of entertainment produced during and directly after the end throes of the Soviet Union?

Started out a bit tame, but you reeled me back in again. I'd read it.

What's the book itself about?

in the northen wilderness, the mostly self-sufficient villages are surrounded by vast swaths of uninhabitable tundra, dark ancient forests, treacherous bogs and endless taiga - all of them teeming with dangers, both natural and otherwise.

As Slayers (!notWitchers) so is it your duty to travel between village and village and deal with any threat that they can not, it is your parties turn to make patrol the western route, you better be prepared, because it's going to be a long year before you're done
basically the witcher in a less political and more wilderness focused setting, with scandinavian folklore rather than slavic

A wilderness shrouded in constant heavy fog and perpetual night. Humans live in massive citadel-cities few and far inbetween, with ancient walls that keep out the fog. Nobody remembers or knows when, or by who, the cities were built.
Life inside the citadels is heavily classist,with an oppulent ruling class.

The fog hides an enormous array of monsterous and alien predators and fauna, and the landscape between the cities will change regularly. Not larger landmakes, but things like roads, trees and boulders.

The Nightmen are guild-like class of mercenaries more akin to trackers or a ranger corps. They specialise in ferrying messages, people and cargo inbetween the citadels, and live sort of outside the normal societal bounds as something of a mix between heroes and outcasts.

The twist is that this world is a sort of 'inbetween' dimension for a multiverse that works very much akin to the spheres of the Witcher series, which is why its such a focal point for oddities. The original humans came here against their will from earth a long time ago, and the earth is still out there going about its buisiness, which means more modern earth items can be found out in the mists and are treated as odd relics.

Has potential, also sounds like Finland which is a plus.

it's intended to be a mix of iceland, norway, sweden, finland with maybe just a splash of russian stuff, while also being sort of a "sightseeing tour" type thing. i haven not actually it out yet, just had the idea swirling about in my head for some time. i think it would work best with a fairly small group of people (3 is the magic number, i think) with some fairly light d6 system

Grimwyrd is a wild and wonderful world. Terrible beastmen to the South, a fragile Alliance in the north, and untamed wilderness all around.

The Dwarven kingdom is a shadow of an older empire...
The Elves a quiet reflection of their past glory...
The Men, a young and boistrous kingdom with a legacy to be made...
Muddled between them all, displaced half elven rovers and Beastmen offspring scraping for leftovers and trying to lay claim to a Homeland.

And all this thrown into upheaval when the Beastmen nation attacked!

It's a dyson sphere containing what remains of humanity and It's allies after the last war that absolutelly mai mes the Galaxy. It's science fantasy and the accent is on rediscovering the science of the acients, rebuilding civilization and navigating a complex political landscape in wich various factions assert to be the Oecumen of Earth's successors.

Current HB setting:
A number of Eastern city states constantly at each other throat trying to outdo each other in war, trade and arts.

Current campaign:
A young angry second prince of a kingdom, pissed off that he isn't the eldest and the crown prince decided to take another approach at getting power and respect. He kidnap lots of beggars and commoners and sacrifice them to a demon lord, which open up a gate to hell. Needless to say, the rest of the royal family whom he disliked is killed and he assumed the throne.

With the constant reinforcement from hell itself, the kingdom would be unstoppable in its drive to conquer the rest of the city states if there aren't any brave heroes to step up and bring the fight at them instead of just running away in terror like the rest of the common folks.

Totally not a wuxia retelling of the Persian-Greek war

I'm working on expanding the setting I have for my web serial. The basic pitch is: the races of the world have found the means to use Magic as a power source (the creational Particle was found and they used that, but tampering with it too much can cause bad shit to happen -- see: Holo Incident)

Anyway because of this technology increased exponentially and someone made the Datascape which is a magickal internet sort of modeled off of Neuromancer's esoteric internet. Since Magick is worked by drawing Sympathy from various "Fundamental Fields", the creators of the Datascape made the Scape so much reminiscent of the Fields that Mages can create sympathies with them, thus creating Dataturgists.

So think that everything has an 80's neon vibe aesthetic with internet equivalent to 2070 with automata, humaboid birds, and "elves" that communicate emotions through glowing markings on their body.

Oh and the Gods are Dead but they're returning and they want to kill everything and they're literally the Pillars of Reality and since Magick is drawn from the Pillars of Reality Mages are fucking shit up.

Crank up that lo-fi hiphop.

Do us all a favor and read the manga, man. It's got a much better antagonist, character motivations are explored in depth, and what you see in the movie is a reworked version of the first fifth of the story

Nice...

It's a standard fantasy setting but instead of swords and axes everybody has guns because a grognard from all world time/realm traveled to when the elves were forging the first sword and taught them how to make guns instead.

To sell it to a potential player, I would say it's not a huge stretch from your basic fantasy setting. There are big important differences, but we should take you not knowing about it as an opportunity for you to know only what your character knows. I'll write guides to each players' knowledge before the game.

The wizard will be able to actually amaze the other players with his magic, possibly genuinely creating, "Don't you have a spell for this or something?!" situations without the help of difficult acting. The ex con will actually be the only one who recognized the insignia on the hoods of the shady characters in the tavern.

It'll be great.

I like that

Your setting is a subtle snub on RPG-systems in general? It sounds surprisingly cool and playable.

This sounds a lot like the Prince of Thorns books by Mark Lawrence

It has 3ft tall salamander-men and no gnomes.

That sounds interesting and cool.
In general the premise that "no one living in this universe knows much about it" is a great way to make atmosphere.

Reminds me a little of Sourcery in the Discworld series.
The wizards of the setting normally stay cooped up and uncooperative with each other, but one "Sourceror" who has an instinctive gift for magic gets them to unite and gain control of the entire world. It gets to the point where they've overpowered the gods themselves and are starting to tear reality apart, letting eldritch abominations flood through.
Then a two-bit wizard incapable of casting a single spell beats the Sourceror using a half-brick in a sock.

Mine is something I came up off the cuff for a Savage Worlds game. My friends were like "let's do post-apocalypse" and I said sure. I'd played a bunch of old Garry's Mod apocalypse RP maps in singleplayer, and I would listen to this sad ethereal ambient music while wandering around. So I came up with this very generic, dark world that takes place 20 or so years after the apocalypse, no one even remembers how it happened. There are all sorts of strange supernatural creatures and effects, like vortexes of wild magic, and giant demon beasts that stalk the landscape.

So basically this was my inspiration: streamable.com/lb8cs

A bit like Stalker but I just didn't like the tone of it that much, I wanted something that really felt like a different world. For example this setting takes place near Irkutsk and Lake Baikal but that's really just an excuse to have slav-shit guns. They are just known as "the city" and "the lake" respectively, now. People live in little ramshackle villages of sheet metal and wood, some live in old houses, a lot of stuff is ruined, it's overall quite weird. Psionics is a minor aspect. Honestly it's not much different than the world of Apocalypse World roleplaying game. I just tried to make it more dark and mysterious.

It's pretty much fantasy Europe, besides the samurai invaders and Mordor in the corner.
Read the manga bruh. You won't be disappointed.

For example, did you know the Valley of the Wind is actually a vassal of Tolmekia, and Princess Kushana was there to levy troops? And the Ohma child was used not by Pejite, but by these pic related beautiful bastards called the Doroks, who are the main enemy of Tolmekia.

City states in the distant future where people only marry robots and have to fend off demons and monsters.

Stone men in armor, giant land vehicles, deadly dragon-descended ecology, and demonic mercenary armies

Welcome to the city of tomorrow. We're currently experiencing a breakdown of reality and general causality at all current moments. Please ignore the gangs and superpowers, those are not part of the intended residential experience.

Sounds neat enough, I did something similar, just splashed cyberpunk instead of Slav

Noir style osmosis jones game set in the body of an old alcoholic veteran.

I basically want a racist "cards against humanity" type world that's extremely exaggerated for shits n giggles

>The year is 2488
>No white man survives in the feral world of Earth known only as " da worl" by it's current inhabitants
>Except for one
>In the year 2017, a man named Joseph Carlyle cryogenically freezes himself along with thousands of rounds of ammunition and his very own power armor - a slim suit and tie harder than adamantium
>Centuries later, he awakes only to find his race extinct
>Enraged, he puts on his mask and power armor and genocides the inhabitants of da worl bullet by bullet
>He is known only as "Moon Man"
>Will he be able to defeat Empruh (((Goldberg ))) XII and horde of Kangz with their pyramid magic?
>Or will he fall prey to his arch nemesis, Sweet Asian Pussy, and become a degenerate like his ancestors?

"Medieval Shounen Private High School"

The children of the great nobility from across the Empire attend a boarding school at the capital to be educated in war and state. Family history and tribalism (the Empire consists of many varying cultures) causes friction among the student body and the nobility are in their position because of their hereditary powers. Expect some "SECRET BLOODLINE TECHNIQUE" shenanigans.

Humans only in order to not complicate marriage diplomacy.

So like we got 1 fuckin mega huge mystery space god and his 2 sons, the classical radiant all father god and this big ass cthulu lookin mother fucker. Somewhere on the other side of the universe is this fae girl havin a bitch slapping contest with this big ass archfiend thing. So the radiant and fae girl make a world, and in an attempt to protect it make a cube out of portals to the elemental planes around it, the plane of life, death, fire, water, earth, and air. Then they make clay statues of the races that get lost in the life plane, and are given life. Cthulu look alike gets pissy and flings em about into different elemental planes, giving most a bit of magic. Then he gets in a big fight with his brother. He gets his shit kicked in when dad comes back from work and punts the little shit like 10 million light years away where he builds an army. The radiant basically wages war with the archfied 40k style with his sons that he had with the fae girl. Meanwhile she and her new daughters finish the world. And then more shit goes down. Some point the nerdy magic son comes from his fae library with portals to spread magic (decade of arcane might) and forgets to close em, leaving alot of weird ass fae shit going on (era of fae). And that's all I got so far.

That sounds pretty fucking gay to me pham. Then again I hate like 95% of all anime so I'm not exactly your target audience.

I'm interested to hear more, if you're still around.

Make Boris the final boss

...I need more and less context at the same time

I'm around for a bit. Basically mega city built to escape the collapsing global socio-political situation due to super powers (sort of) becoming a thing, wound up getting a chunk of elder god chucked its way, though no one knows this to start.

Anyway it turns out the elder god isn't bound by time so it wound up guaranteeing its own existence by affecting the past.

So now you have akira meets stalker meets bioshock, and a bunch of very intelligent and motivated people with powers based on their subconscious desires/fears tearing the place up trying to take control of this one half destroyed city.

I swear it's better than it sounds

Does his attack involve mayonnaise?

Oh and the chunk is very much dead, it just fucks things up naturally. Powers are a result of it decaying and seeping into our reality

Ancient Greece but every city-state is cluster of space stations in the inner Solar System Gundam style. Modern technology is lost but the spacefaring technology is simple enough to use that priests can use it and maintain it without actually knowing how it works.

The outer Solar system is populated by a pseudo-babylonian empire of alien creatures from the moons of Jupiter who have reverse-engineered lost human technology and periodically raid the human colony-states.

Oh, and Earth is a radioactive wasteland abandoned by humnas and populated with mutant creatures.

The Moon in the other hand still maintains its original colonies, has superior technology and acts as the banker for the colony-states.

The world is on the back of a giant turtle that swims through the cosmos.
Each plate on his shell is a different ecosystem.
He's very proud of the flourishing world he carries and shows off when he meets another entity.
The stars are inconsistent and, most of the time, the sun is actually a force of the will of the turtle.

That's okay user, I think most anime is gay too.

All mortal life emerges from hell, fighting their inner demons and migrating up through the underworld towards the sunlit surface where they can strive to reach enlightenment and get into heaven.

Frankly when I was making it, it's influences were equal parts Deadlands, Borderlands, the MCR album Danger Days, and Kill Six Billion Demons.

It turned into a hell of a mess, and I love every second of it.

In the darkness of space there is a planet that by any logical means should not exist.

Star it belongs to was supposed to become a black hole, but somehow the only planet in this system feeds energy to it, keeping star from gravitational collapse.

Surface research of this rocky planet have shown that it's deep net of canyons is inhabited by a strange forms of life: plants and animal-like creatures who feed from sun and evolve at insane pace. There were also a relatively recent remnants of highly advanced civilization, which clearly tried to colonize this planet, but somehow disappeared almost without a trace.

People started to study discovered remnants, believing that research of this planet will help them to find a way to defeat their old foe - Homo Perfectum. Because condition of the star was very unstable and unpredictable, scientists decided to explore planet via proxies. The only logical variant was using robots, but almost all of them went out of order or disappeared after some time on the planet. And that's why a radical decision came into place.

It was decided to send a large group of death-sentenced prisoners supplied with all needed equipment and training in order to thoroughly study the planet. In return, they were promised a full pardon if they will find something that can help against Homo Perfectum. Prisoners were given a full autonomy and supplied with everything they need while keeping remote communication with civilization.

You are one of those prisoners and you are about to experience horror that lies in the dark depths of this planet.

>tl;dr Death-sentenced people exploring horrors of lost civilization on a paradox planet that is about to be consumed by a black hole

There is no traditional divinity nor afterlife, when one dies their souls float around in the either until fading.

The world has 3 dominant factions, the first is a theocracy made up of undead that is ruled by a council of liches who worship their old master who they believe to have become the god of death. Undead can be sentient and ones that are not are just used for manual labor.

The second faction is a forest dwelling confederacy made up of orcs, ogres, goblinoids, gnolls, and sentient mushroom men. They are mostly isolationist and care only about protecting the forest regions, this puts them at odds with a groups of elves that are cannibalistic raiders.

The third faction is caste system that has Dragons at the top, followed by Half-dragons, dragonborns, dragon-elves, and at the bottom Kobolds, they are hyper militaristic and have gone to war with undead on multiple occasions.

The only other major notes would be tree dwelling elves that eat their young to stay immortal, and a mountain dwelling wendigos who have close ties to the undead.