pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/:
What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

dnd.wizards.com/streamofannihilation
tools.goblinist.com/5enc
finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Blue_Mage
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The black race is a subhuman species and our attempts to domesticate it have failed.

nigger belong in the trash

cute half orc girls are ok though

The idea that they are going to ship either of those classes as they are.

Artificer should be half caster. Mystic just needs some stuff reworded.

Probably, but he was asking specifically for LG/NG. Who's to say bushido culture in their game is the same as in our world?

WotC staff were faced with the prospect of doing work.

What do you mean what went wrong? I can't speak as to the Artificer, but we know that the Mystic has some basic problems - but at the same time, a lot of people really want the Mystic to work. It's a good class, it just needs refinement.

It seems to me that Wizards is actually doing good by the Artificer and the Mystic, and by extension the player base.

The stream annihilation thing starts in 90ish minutes, right? Any countdown?

Just get reckless then?

Make it a half caster, tune up some rules so it can make magic items at a faster pace, and add a targeted "cantrip" damage spell so they don't get fucked by immunities or creatures with high dex saves. Perfect world I'd like the mechanical assistant to be its own subclass, but if not make that shit scale.

Seconded on artificer being half caster or even full caster. My gripes:

>They need access to cantrips. At the very least Mending and Prestidigitation.
>Their construct sucks.
>They do shit for damage. On alchemist everything is save or suck, either give them attack rolls or half damage on saves. Allow them to add their modifier to damage. Allow gunsmiths to add their modifier to their thunder cannon etc damage.

The class needs a rework because spells like Mending, Prestidigitation, Fabricate, Animate Objects, etc seem like they would be right up an artificers alley.

>Mystic recieved positive feedback
>20 pages of material that nobody reviewed is being pushed for PHB 2

Fuck Mearls up his kike ass.

This edition is almost 3 years into its lifespan and it's already trash. can we get 6e with an actual budget?

Construct as its own subclass works much better, for sure.

Playing Tales of the Yawning Portal White Plume Mountain. Should players be allowed to keep Wave, Whelm and Blackrazor as they are from DMG? If not, what should they get? Debuffed version? Gold? Lvl 8 btw, should be 9 by the end

>WotC staff
There's like 5 people working on D&D. They don't have the resources to actually do it themselves, and that won't change until pigs start flying and D&D sells better than Magic

why are players handbooks so expensive

get a job

I feel like it's a little schizophrenic in a few design areas. Stuff like darkvision being given to nearly every race eliminating a lot of the need for light when sneaking around, resource management being invalidated by a single background feature, battlemaster being the only fighter subclass to get superiority dice and combat maneuvers, excluding lots of little numerical bonuses but adding them back in for several of the UA subclasses, etc.
I still like 5e but several decisions have definitely made me look to other games like 13th Age.

Buy them off of Amazon, they're like $15 cheaper brand new, from WotC themselves, than if you buy them in a book store.

You could play a different game.

Who says I don't?

Let them keep them.

They're strong, but not unbelievably so. Whelm's gonna suck if you're ever fighting outside, for one.

Right, I was working most of yesterday, but I'm back now.

UPDATES
- Being a Fey creatures lowers seduction DC by 5
- Creatures with Legendary actions add their proficiency bonus to their Seduction and Satisfaction DCs.
- Being in the midst of sex is officially designated as imposing the Grappled condition on everyone involved, with the potential to also be Prone or Restrained depending on circumstances. Sex can be escaped like any other Grapple (via Athletics or Acrobatics)
- "Menopause" rule added to pregnancy checks.
- "Bard's Checklist" appendix updated to take new Fey and Legendary rules into account.
- "Bard's Checklist" appendix now also includes the Seduction and Satisfaction DCs for a number of major NPCs: The Demon Princes, the Princes of Elemental Evil, Maegera the Dawn Titan, Tiamat, and Strahd von Zarovich. Strahd has a special seduction/satisfaction rule, too. I considered adding one for Tiamat as well, but decided against it since I'm not sure if it's still canon that Tiamat wants to jump Bahamut's bones.

As a reminder, Seducing someone is a single check but it takes 1d4 hours, so it's not possible to seduce a target in combat. Oh, but on that note - Seducing it currently the player's choice of Persuasion or Deception. Should Intimidate be viable as well?

I'm not sure about the thing with Fey. It seems to carry the implication of sexually liberated, easy magical hippies. I'd think they would be the ones doing the seducing if anything, and it fits with their charm immunity

Sure just convince Hasbro that no ttrpg is every going to sell as well as Magic and we'll be golden.

One of the players already has a very strong character (well built oathbreaker paladin and got a belt of giant strength early) so I'm worried letting him have Wave will unbalance him from the rest of the party. Currently wields Flamebrand and does a shit ton of damage. Also worried these weapons will unbalance Dead in Thay, which we are doing next. No dwarves, so no one to use whelm.

Stream of Annihilation hype?

If you say so...in my experience with Fey folklore, they don't exactly come across as needing much of an excuse to have sex, so them being "easy" made sense to me.

What is it?

Two day, twelve-hour Twitch stream event which WOTC will reveal the next adventure story. Starts in 45 minutes.

dnd.wizards.com/streamofannihilation

>oathbreaker
>got a belt of giant strength early
Gee whee billy I wonder why this character turned into a balance issue

What the fuck did I just read?

We already know it will be about Chult and ring of winter

Dragonborn, Mountain Dwarf, or Half-Orc martial?

>inb4 variant human

Well:

- Blackrazor is pretty strong, admittedly. +3 legendary magic weapon, casts haste and maintains concentration, etc. But it's counterbalanced by the fact that if it goes for more than 3 days without consuming a soul it tries to take over the wielder. And it's a damn strong personality too, so that's some serious danger.

- Wave is also very powerful, especially if it crits (holy shit that crit effect, half your HP maximum as necrotic damage is going to wreck face), but Wave won't give a fuck about Dead In Thay because how is that going to convert mortals to the worship of sea gods? And it requires attunement to a worshiper of a god of the sea too, and is extremely zealous.

I dunno. I could see maybe reducing the powers the weapons are granting, maybe the sentiences want their wielders to prove themselves first? But the giant strength sounds like a bigger problem there.

>Oathbreaker with a belt already
Jesus christ you don't care about keeping the game balanced at all do you?

Mountain dwaves are TERRIBLE fighters, user. Pick half-orc.

That usually comes in the sense of them being horny, not being very easy to trick into having sex though

But it's not like there's any real reason to have this argument so

Dwarf or Half-orc. Dragonborns are pussies.

>Oathbreaker
>Belt of giants strength early

Stop DMing anytime now.

will try to watch

I hope it does start in 45. No technical difficulties and postpones or whatever.

I'm saying this for the third time now. People live in different countries where the median wage might be as low as 5€/$ per hour net (my country) or even much lower. Not everyone can easily afford shelling a third of their food budget for a month on one book.

Have you not been on /5eg/ the past few days?

Basically a few weeks ago there was a Veeky Forums thread that caught my attention, asking how you handle sex in your games. Now I've never ERP'd, and have no desire to ERP, but I am the sort of person who when he gets an idea in his head, I usually can't drop it until I've developed it somehow.

So, this is the result.

What should be expected? A new setting or will we get some new subclasses or things of the like?

>Mountain dwaves are TERRIBLE fighters, user.

What's your reasoning? Is it because Fighters get ASI's like candy which negates the two +2 bonuses that Mountain Dwarves get?

Yeah, I saw the speculation. Still want to watch the reveal. 5th edition is my first edition of D&D, so everything is still new and fresh to me. I haven't read any of the novels either.

Rolled it on table when magic item shopping, it's only hill giant though so not too crazy
Yeah having the items fight the characters and not work properly when the characters aren't fulfilling the weapon's goals sounds pretty good. Wave says that the weapon accepts new converts, which I interpreted to mean if the player converts on the spot they can use the weapon.

My guess would be wasted armor proficiency?

It has to be a legit conversion, user. And you have to MEAN it, be zealous as fuck. If you're a fresh-faced new convert, you've abandoned your old god for a new one solely for power, the weapon has just accepted you, what do you think it's going to think if you waltz off to do something completely unrelated to what it wants to do and what you promised to do by virtue of immediate conversion? These are powerful, legendary weapons, they aren't going to put up with that shit.

I allowed the players to go magic item shopping in downtime, per the unearthed arcana rules, and rolled the item in front of them so couldnt really say no without seeming unfair as other characters also got some pretty good items. Unfortunately I did not realise at the time how powerful the belt would be as we have never gotten to high enough levels to use one before, and I can't really take it away now. Also, the oathbreaker is the only surviving member of the original party due to deaths and players wanting to try new characters, so obviously the new characters are not quite as kitted out.

Autism in short. But the good constructive kind.
Hope you work in a STEM field.

Play a Wood Elf Monk.

I'm not nearly good enough at math, sadly.

You're right, I hadn't really considered it in that way. Maybe I could tell the player that taking and using Wave will mean they can no longer properly participate in the campaign, and they would have to roll up a new character as their old one goes to convert people/work for a sea god?

You should regulate magic items more, and not allow the DMG subclasses for PCs. Those were your first mistakes. As in, honestly, giving the paladin anything else WILL make him a flaming pile of bullshit if he isn't already. Talk it over with the player
>UA Downtime
Ah I see your problem

>Wasted armor proficiency
>Wasted weapon proficiency
>25 feet speed
Being a dwarf fighter is suffering

> Creatures with Legendary actions add their proficiency bonus to their Seduction and Satisfaction DCs.
I like this solution.

t. guy who wanted double dc

Repost cause it was right at the end on the other:

How do you deal with life Clerics? It's like having a portable blood bank with you every minute.

Almost all encounters decrease 1 threat level.

Odd, considering dwarves should be natural fighters.

Assuming we're getting Chult, the only likely races we'd get are Pterafolk and maybe additional human sub-races/backgrounds to fit with the "cat people that aren't Tabaxi" thing.

We gave our Dwarf fighter an extra fighting style and skill so he didn't get completely fucked by the free armor and weapon profs.

yeah, you have convinced me not to let him have Wave. I don't think Oathbreaker is overpowered compared to say vengance paladin, or at least that is what I read online. The party is already quite powerful, so he isn't too bad. We have an immortal mystic, oathbreaker, bearbarian, and optimised lore bard. What would you suggest to do with downtime instead of unearthed arcana. I thought the magic item shopping was ok as it allows something to do with money, especially as we are playing a dungeon crawl campaign where we essentially just play through the tales of the yawning portal adventures in order, so it is more a set of adventures than a proper campaign.

Combat healing shouldn't be that strong this edition. Maybe you're making a mistake when building encounters

I think more along the lines of another story arc set into the Forgotten Realms. Probably more playable races, spells, the usual when a new splatbook comes out.

If anyone is so autistic they won't play martial dwarves because of stackage they need to kneck themselves.

Well first mistake was the oathbreaker, but I'd that's how you want to roll go ahead, second is generating loot right in front of the party on the spot, you do that shit in prep work so you don't get crazy shit like the situation you have now.

Play your enemies more realistically. They are (usually) smart and want to win the fight too. They can take hostages, use magic and abilities to confuse the party, utilize traps and environmental terrain to their advantage, mess with the party's goal (i.e., attempt to escape with the orb, or destroy the orb, or hide it, if the party's goal is to acquire it).

tools.goblinist.com/5enc

I also sometimes use this tool on "Deadly" and tweak the results where necessary if a big fight is coming up.

Anyway, clerics are awesome because not a lot of players like to be one. Don't punish a cleric. Let them be portable bloodbanks. That's their entire thing. It's up to YOU as the DM to provide them with challenge or conflict. You should play monsters as more cunning and dangerous or mess with the objectives and push the party into a bind or moral dilemma.
Get creative. I believe in you.

I'VE HURT MYSELF TODAY

Like I said, double DC was just way too harsh. Ostensibly, all Seduction and Satisfaction DCs should still be level-appropriate challenges. Strahd for example is listed as a CR 15, so seducing him should be a challenge for a 15th level character.

If the DC to seduce Strahd was 46, that would mean an average roll (11) would need a +35 modifier to hit it, which is fantastically outside the range of a 15th-level character. By having it instead by DC 28, an average roll needs only a +17 modifier, which a 15th-level bard is likely to be just shy of (trained, expertise Persuasion or Deception for a 15th level CHA 20 bard would be +15).

Of course, Curse of Strahd assumes that you'll only be about 10th level when facing the Count. By that point a bard can be reasonably presumed to instead have a Persuasion or Deception of +13 if both trained and possessing expertise, which means the bard must roll a 15 or better, or in other words has only a 30% chance of success.

Yeah definitely something to keep in mind for the future. The party is all evil/neutral (sick of good campaigns) but not murderhobo at all so I thought oathbreaker was appropriate. Is it really that powerful?

Running modules, modifying encounters because we are higher level than the book suggests. I use new monsters from Volo's etc and create Medium/Hard/Deadly encounters with calculations.

Am I doing it wrong?

why user

It honestly just leaves things too much into RNG's hands and has a few dumb things like the magic item table when 5e is not balanced for being able to buy magic items. Fiddle with the numbers a bit and at least up the prices so the belt situation doesn't repeat

TO SEE IF I STILL FEEL
I FOCUS ON THE PAIN
THE ONLY THING THAT'S REAL

Just rate it poorly and cite the issues it has, maybe WotC will fix one of them before release.

*Oh, and of course this presumes that the bard has 1d4 hours to wine and dine Strahd without Strahd doing likewise to the bard, albeit in a somewhat different, more literal way.

How would you go about making a blue mage in 5e? Bard, or maybe sorcerer, archetype? New class entirely?

I am trying to run the enemies based on their INT scores. Villains or bosses whatever will gtfo when they start losing.

I include traps and occasional environment hazards.

I stopped giving magic loot because it's a bit too much at this point for my taste.

Indeed, I approve of your much better alternative.

So when is Veeky Forums going to hold the first "Curse of Strahd: Eroticus Arcanum" campaign?

Go through the entire module as normal with the goal of bedding every creature.

I'm more concerned that we're 3 years into this edition and we have ONE legitimate supplement. SCAG doesn't count as it's a glorified fluff book with half baked subclasses based on a setting that every FR fan was already intimately familiar with.

I really enjoy 5e but it's a shame to watch it go down this road, wasted potential all around. It's not like we're asking for 3.x levels of supplements where we're getting one every month, but one major non-adventure publication per year? This is suicide for their brand.

Not targeting the cleric with anything dangerous, charm effects, things that limit action economy, worst case scenario bullshit damage(try to make glass cannons) or the tried and true wear them down gameplan all work.

You are toeing a line though, push too hard and it just stops being fun for the players. At the same time, steamrolling everything sucks too.

What the fuck is a blue mage?

Fuck yeah, best job. Problem is not too many monster only spells

Oathbreaker is powerful compared to the other options, everyone says vengeance is broken but it's just really strong. There's a reason they have a side note of it needing DM approval, also in an evil campaign I can see letting it slide and with the rest of the party it isn't terrible.

The problem mostly shows itself when you let someone run it with others who aren't building 100% optimized or already really strong classes. With what you got it shouldn't be too terrible but definitely be careful letting it in a normal party.

Mage that steals spells from monsters

Final Fantasy shit. General idea is that they use monster abilities and spells.

> Artificer
> No tinker specialty

Wish I could actually invent shit instead of being a potion-maker or a gunsmith.

It's a class from final fantasy. More or less how it works is you get the unit hit by a monster's ability and it has a chance to learn it. They tend to be a little lackluster, but they're baller as fuck.

Its a class in some of the final fantasy games based around learning magic used by monsters

I will definitely do that if it comes up again. What do you suggest players should be able to do with gold in a dungeon crawler campaign other than buy magic items?(literally just running tftyp dungeons in order)

Its a shame too because I feel like DnD itself is only getting more popular. They should really step up their game and release a lot more books to support it. Hell most of the UA these days are pretty decently tuned, polish them up and release it with a new campaign setting and that'd do some good.

Wood Elf so no charm, but I try to keep all PCs occupied during a battle. Because whoever is left alone gets huge advantage, and it wouldn't make sense in a fight anyway.

Does Relentless Avenger for OoV Paladin work when mounted?

Well, going by the picture, it's probably referring to the Final Fantasy concept.

finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Blue_Mage

Basically they steal the special abilities of monsters so that they themselves can use them, although they can only take the abilities of monsters that they have actually encountered, and can hold only a limited number of abilities and only one ability from each monster.

Not him, but there's lots of things you can do in downtime that don't involve magic item shopping. You can receive training to improve your proficiencies or gain new ones, perform research for your next adventure, invest in a business, set up a settlement, work a profession, participate in the daily activities of a guild or faction, spend time with your partner/spouse/family/children, forge or repair mundane equipment, engage in politics, and so on.

>when 5 people answer the same question

Question! I'm doing some formatting, and wondered if anyone had photoshop brushes for similar little filigree, as on the Chapter art in the main books (see pic). I'm not even sure how to go about googling such a thing.

>I'm saying this for the third time now. People live in different countries where the median wage might be as low as 5€/$ per hour net (my country) or even much lower. Not everyone can easily afford shelling a third of their food budget for a month on one book.

>I don't make any money because I am a lazy fuck with no skills
>therefore people who can actually afford the books, are privileged fucks who should gibsmedat
>also you should literally commit a felony on my behalf because I am poor and that is your fault for being white and intelligent

Get fucked, nigger. Just because YOU failed at life and can't afford the D&D 5e books, doesn't mean you should be allowed them for free. Wizards of the Coast doesn't owe you a damn thing. You are a drain on society. Deal with it. There are plenty of free RPGs out there for you to play in the meantime until you grow up and get a big-boy job.