mega.nz/#F!oHwklCYb!dg1-Wu9941X8XuBVJ_JgIQ!pXhhFYqS

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previously on /5eg/:
GET HYPE PLANESCAPE IS COMING

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Planescape? I thought the new adventure was set in Forgotten Realms?

Wait, you can run D&D somewhere other than Forgotten Realms (tm)?

Shut the fuck up retard, this is not Planescape.

Planescape? That city with the dinosaurs wasn't Sigil, was it?"

>PLANESCAPE
Get your fake news outta here

>Xanathar
>detailed first in 2000's "Cloak and Dagger"
>codenames for past adventues were "Cloak" and "Dagger"

You can run wherever you want, but: "GET HYPE PLANESCAPE IS COMING" makes it sound like something officially from Wizards.

Chult

Its probably undermountain candyass, atleast we got a properly created thread for once

Ahh. Well, at least it'll be a nice change of scenery from the Sword Coast

This DM does the one shot DMage quite well imho.

>GET HYPE PLANESCAPE IS COMING
Probably Undermountain though.

Which is good, but it'd better be absolutely amazing as a book to make up for the failure of not having a Undermountain adventure in the book LITERALLY NAMED AFTER THE YAWNING PORTAL.

From the old thread

Tomb of Annihilation set in Chult
* Zorbo (monster) coming back
* Store release: Sept 8th
* Wide release: Sept 19th
* Kingdom overrun with undead, "meet strange creatures from DnD's past". Since Acererak is the villain, presumably a bunch of undead (zombie dinosaurs that vomits zombies).
* Optional meatgrinder rule: "Hard mode", higher ACs, less damage, additional effects, etc.
* Guide for what happens when characters die (become zombies, etc).
* Pulpy, "Indiana Jones"-style story.
* A lot of setting-dressing for DMs who want to use Chult without the adventure.

How the hell did you get planescape from Xanathar?
delet this

How doable is something like this as a character?

Medium-ish armor with a war drum. Weapons as well, obviously, this isn't a gimmick character

Yes, and it's closer to the Positive than the PM is. Feywild is basically what you get when you move the PM closer to Positive. I'd say "the same way that we've had versions of PM closer to Negative", but that's only true now with the Shadowfell; the original Plane of Shadow was Positive+Negative in exactly equal portions fucking everywhere.

Then they changed it to just be a darker version of the Prime Material, then changed it again by letting Shar fuck with it and turn it into the Shadowfell.

Dinosaur zombies brought to you by the guy from Adventure Time LOL SO COOL DUDE

College of War Bard

>* A lot of setting-dressing for DMs who want to use Chult without the adventure.
Best part as far as I'm concerned DESU

How is this not just a Valor Bard exactly?

I guess could do it as Paladin too.

I'm more asking what sort of trouble I'd get into by using a 2-handed instrument in a fight. I'm still new to the edition.

Lore bard with moderately armoured feat.

No need for weapons.

But the Feywild is not really positive, it's full of crazy fae.

So me being new to D&D I went ahead and purchased the starter pack 2 weeks ago.
Fast Forward now i am broke and i want to make my own character.
is there any way to get the Player's Handbook online for free?

It's just Turok 3 if Oblivion raised more dinosaurs instead of humans.

The trove, dude.

Why would it have to be two-handed?

I guess the main issue would be having to draw your weapons, unless you use your drum sticks as clubs or maces.

Google Player's Handbook PDF and get lucky. Just hit enough links until you get it and scan your antivirus and you'll be fine.

In before angry FGLS user saying you're killing their stores.

Linked in the top of the thread. Have fun.

That's more what I'm getting at. I think,

That's worth a look.

And?

Don't get it into your head that "Positive Energy" = Good. Positive and Negative have no morality associated with them; they are primal forces like Fire or Earth. Dealing with either isn't shifting your alignment. Evil guys just happen to use Negative more and obviously Clerics use Positive when they're healing people, but it's not as though Good guys never use Negative to kill Evil guys or that there's no such thing as too much Positive.

If you go to the Positive Plane, you heal to full, overheal, and then explode. This can take less than a minute. On the flipside, being in the Negative Plane is actually less deadly. Positive doesn't give a shit about you or anyone; it just wants to create. Too much of it and you get fucking bonkers Fey, or cancer, or huge beasts that just want to eat all of your shit because they need to consume more and more to grow.

thanks

Check the OP, the trove has more than you'll ever need

Asking again in this thread, does Rise of Tiamat even have any normal dragon fights?

If you go lore bard with moderately armoured, you simply just go medium armour, use a shield and have some excuse to have a drum stick with the shield hand since it really doesn't matter (A DM would be stupid to say 'b-but you can't do that technically so use a harmonica or your voice or something boring instead!)
And then you can fight using vicious mockery cantrips and spells using the drum as a focus rather than having to actually draw a weapon.

You could probably refluff light hammers

Will the old school Forgotten Realms atlas book be up to date as of 5th edition? Is everything fixed now, or is there some other map of the entire world that would be better suited to a 5e game?

Yes. The only big geographical changes happened in 4E but pretty much all of it was retconned so we're back to everything from 2/3E being valid again.

In fact, if you want to play 5E FR with all the trimmings, going back to 2E sourcebooks for material is the only thing you can do, since outside of SCAG there's fuck-all. Like, good luck knowing who the hell your Cleric's God is or what they want you to do if you're just going by 5E stuff without reading Faiths & Avatars.

Up until now 5e has exclusively focused on the Sword Coast region. There's a really nice map in Hoard of the Dragon Queen for the region. If you're running your own game in a different part of Faerûn, then use whatever materials you have and stop giving a fuck about what's "canon"

Would a Warforged forge cleric based on Shale from Dragon Age:Origins be a cool idea?

There are no Eberron-style warforged in our world, but there is record of a few inventive dwarves transferring their souls into constructs near the end of their lives.

How viable is this as a character concept and how would you play it?

Yes, a bunch.

What pages? I cant seem to find them?

As long as you can convince your DM you're not trying to stack AC in some broken way, sure.

He's in on it and totally cool with it. High AC doesn't make you unkillable. If high AC is your character's thing, then great.

Besides, I was asking more about the concept and how it would be RP'd more than anything.

Some issues I'd like to ask for opinions on.
To preface, this game is with my friends, on roll20

5 months, 3 sessions a month typically. Started at 3, Now 9. ( LMoP, white plume, some home brew)

Player #1 has had spotty attendance, no showed twice in the last month, and frequently does chores/homework during the session. No showed last session and have not heard from him

Player # 2
The most experienced player but he's easily butt hurt. No showed last time when I saw him on steam and discord playing skyrim, normally his icon is away or orange.

Player #3 observer

Player #4
The only decent player, new to the game but has made significant strides to improving.

None of them really pay attention to the plot or anything. Why are we here again etc

Feeling kind of burned, spent a good 4 hours the other day on battlemaps and making npcs / hook

What would you do?

>and how it would be RP'd more than anything
Depends on the character you're playing, no?
What sort of personality you want them to have.

Some suggestions, since its a Cleric, perhaps he came into that body by dying valiantly and his god transferred his soul into that statue body of his own creation to fulfill some dying prayer. You'd probably have to decide what he prayed for there.

Then think about how much does he feel/taste etc. in that body, and that would impact his personality too.

I'm also assuming the Eberron entry in the 'run it in other settings' index will be something like "it's practically set there already, just say it's on Xen'drik and describe Acererak as being a drow lich witchdoctor."

A druid that I'm building has 2 asi that I haven't decided what to do with. Should I take the Resiliant feat for Con. so its easier to pass concentration checks or put both of them into dex for higher AC

Depends on the back story, from what you've given you'd be a dwarf just in a different body, if you want to make it "lost your memories over large amount of time" then it might be tricky

To add, drawing your weapon is typically considered a bonus action, or just included in your normal attack action. The only exceptions are when you're carrying another item already or if your weapon is particularly haughty and would take some prep time to grip/attack properly (cauldron filled with soup, etc).

I imagine in OP's case it'd be the former.

Looking for homebrew variants.

Do you guys have any special rules for classes? Any fixes or changes that you've made?

I'm attempting to come up with my own personal variants and would be interested to hear what has worked for your campaigns.

Got my first 5e game coming up. Want to make a swashbuckler with some spell casting. What are my options and what is the least shit one?

Use vitality, it's a great alternative to making long rests 1 week

Whats a good last name for a human character named Heinrich.

I can't think of one that isn't completely out of place or himmler

>Want to make a swashbuckler with some spell casting.
Bard.
Arcane Trickster Rogue.
Paladin (probably Ancients or Vengeance).
Eldritch Knight.
Warlock.

Hermler

Hilmmer

von (whatever town hes from)

Von Achtung

>since its a Cleric, perhaps he came into that body by dying valiantly and his god transferred his soul into that statue body of his own creation to fulfill some dying prayer.

That's a great idea, I didn't think of that.

>"lost your memories over large amount of time"

Was thinking something like that, and yeah essentially a dwarf in a timeless body since his/her work was too important. Now that the dwarves are missing, his main goal is to figure out what happened.

I guess a little backstory on the dwarves would be useful here. The dwarves in their capital (and only major) city, the Mountain Home, have suddenly disappeared. Our party is gearing up to investigate that disappearance in the next session or two by entering the Mountain Home and likely the Underdark.

This warforged character is in the bullpen in case (A) my character dies or (B) my character elects to not enter the underdark.

Konstantin

Hammer

>The dwarves in their capital (and only major) city, the Mountain Home, have suddenly disappeared. Our party is gearing up to investigate that disappearance in the next session or two by entering the Mountain Home and likely the Underdark.
>This warforged character is in the bullpen in case (A) my character dies or (B) my character elects to not enter the underdark.
Makes sense that the rest of the party could then find him somewhere in that city and wake him up, and he'd have a motivation to follow the plot.

They do two different things, really.
Long week rests are there for the sake of campaigns that only have maybe one fight a day.

I don't really like how forge cleric is a 'give yourself AC at level 1 and more AC at level 6' dealio, though. And at high ACs it can be a big impact becoming ~15 to 50% harder to hit per AC point, though it doesn't help your saves.

Ripguts

I like Heinrich "The Hammer" Konstantin.

Some examples I saw posted last thread:

>Warlock: uses DMG alternate spell point system
>Barbarian: Instead of a Rage bonus damage(+2,+3,+4) its a die (1d4,1d6,1d8)
>Ranger: Revised Ranger is used
>Monk: Martial die is one step higher.

Yep, the idea was to find the inactive construct and hey, new party member. My current character doesn't have much of a reason to enter the Underdark - he's a Paladin that's searching for what is more or less the Holy Grail so dying in the deep places of the earth doesn't really serve his goals.

>Druids subject to the UA wildshape rules
>UA Ranger instead of PHB Ranger (which is pretty standard, I think)
>warlocks can use Int instead of Cha
>everything else is either campaign-centric or on an individual player level

Some of the campaign/player rules included:
>no variant human, but everyone gets 1 feat
>no exhaustion for Path of Berserker Barbarian
>max hp per level for the crazy shit that's going to be coming down the pipe

Am I understanding heavily obscured right?
It makes everyone considered blinded. Giving disadvantage on attacks but also giving advantage on being attacked. Therefore making everything a straight roll? Seems kind of strange. If two people were fighting in pitch black it shouldn't be straight rolls.

user who wrote the sex rules, I thought you said you're a girl but you outted yourself as a guy. Which is it?

>>Druids subject to the UA wildshape rules
>>UA Ranger instead of PHB Ranger (which is pretty standard, I think)
>>warlocks can use Int instead of Cha
>>everything else is either campaign-centric or on an individual player level

Peter is that you? I swear to god, my DM has these exact rules

(Also, Pact of the Blade gives proficency to any improvised weapon your blade shifts into, so if an instrument or a lock pick, you get to add your proficency bonus on)

Yep. It'd just be a straight roll unless something has blindsight or truesight.
That user's definitely a kissless virgin male, now can we not mention that retarded homebrew shit he made ever again?

Every one has disadvantage on attack rolls
Advantage is only granted if one person is heavily obscured and the other one isn't

>least shit
You haven't even started and your attitude is already a bit negative.
covered some options. "Best option" partially depends on the kinds of spells you want to cast.
Defensive spells - Eldritch Knight
Deceptive spells - Arcane Trickster
Supportive spells/damaging spells - Paladin
Bard has more than "some" spellcasting (it's a primary spellcasting class), and warlock is frankly not a good melee class.

About there being less than usual product coverage of settings or stuff like that, Chris Perkins was saying he was wary not many would using that content. Instead what he wanted to put out were adventure modules with an overarching story with setting tidbits for everyone.

Maybe because their team is so fucking small that we're only getting s trickle of content.

Are only spellcasters capable of learning cantrips? Would they be a good way to bolster martials who have 12/14 mental stats but don't want to spend a level in a spellcaster class?

I've always wanted to make Clerics less tanky and more glass while making Paladin a Prestige Class requiring at least one level of Fighter and one level of Cleric. It would then have two subclasses, one focused on healing, the other on combat to allow for characters more akin to classic Clerics, while also having a path similar to classic Pally.

I just hate that Clerics are so heavily armored by default.

Magic initiate feat.

>Maybe because their team is so fucking small that we're only getting s trickle of content.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner

>Magic Initiate feat
>Arcane Trickster
>Eldritch Knight

Next question please.

Ritual caster feat.

Hey /5eg/! I'm new to tabletop and I've GMed a couple simple one-shots with friends so far. I've only played four sessions of DnD, one at a con and three online, but it was pretty fun and it sounds like a good first system for my group.

I'll first be running Phandelver for the three of them, so we can all get familiar with the game. My plan is to use pregens, not change existing rules or parts of the adventure, and to end the game ASAP after the 5th session, tops. Don't worry, I'll tell them during Session 0.

Then I'll doing Hoard of the Dragon Queen. I'll let them make their own characters, and change some parts of the adventure/rules if I need to. (e.g. I hate the very idea of XP bookkeeping, milestones sound much better).

Is this a good plan? Anything I should know or be warned about? Any advice?

I heard HOTDQ sucks but have never played it.

That's disappointing, I don't even buy the adventure modules. At least my wallet is way fatter now.

Are only martials capable of using weapons? Would they be a good way to bolster spellcasters who have 12/14 physical stats but don't want to spend a level in a marital class?

Why not finish Phandelver?
Also, I see no real reasons to use pregens. You can help them through chargen and they'll likely be more attached to their characters.

Indiana Jones in a zombie dinosaur plague sounds fucking amazing.

Then tweet at him saying DMs actually need other content apart from adventure modules.

I know someone has talked about rogue/sorc as a combo. Maybe they can help.

Yea those were mine and done to balance the Spellcaster buff I gave of:
>Bonus action spells: If a spell is cast as an action you can cast another spell as a bonus if it is listed as such.

Like says, HotDQ is widely considered the worst of the 5e adventures. is right as well.

Arcane trickster with mobile feat. Get Green Flame Blade / Booming Blade.

Oh, I guess they could take Magic Initiate during downtime. Thanks. They could probably use it anyway, things have been pretty one-after-another as of late.
What's wrong with it? I thought it was fine after going through most of it before that group fell apart.

It's probably a good idea to use pregens and the beginning adventure, it's really short so you should be good. Though you should practice making your own character(s) so you can help your players when they make theirs.

Also, XP bookkeeping isn't as bad as you'd think, it paces the game well and gives players something to look forward to (as most monster enemies don't have loot on them). I'd recommend you do use XP, milestones are best used for experienced DMs who write their own campaign.

Have them make thier own characters and finish Phandelver.

Ritual caster is honestly better if they don't want spontaneous magic but more prepared 'ritual stuff from book'.
You can get all the ritual spells with ritual caster if I remember right, though you start with only two.