warhammer-community.com/warhammer-40000/

>Latest GW FAQs:
games-workshop.com/en-JP/Rules-Errata

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_odi1c7ErCg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for scions rightfully being top tier

First for Orks officially confirmed WAAC tier

No joke I'm really tempted to buy some scions now since veterans are elites and that slot could be filled by much much better alternatives. No Sure how to build them tho.

Are hot shot volley guns any good?

Nth for the state of psykers at launch

move over to that thread, we can use this one when the other caps

Yep volley guns are pretty sweet now that they're not volley and don't overheat.

2 plasmas 2 volleys per 10 is pretty good and completely doable WYSIWYG from the scion kit

4 plasmas is probably completely WAAC since plasma guns in Guard are so under priced when put on BS3+ models.

Just don't do 4 Flamers or 4 grenade launchers and you're probably fine

Do the scion kits come with melta guns?
I've only bought scions 2nd hand

What's wrong with Grenade Launchers?

What are the good weapon strength targets to hit in an army for 8th edition?

Also, why does the sporocyst include rules for firing spore cannons, even though it actually has no option to take a spore cannon?

I have a bunch of unpainted minis from 5 years ago from when I bought a WFB set as a kid, and I figure since I have them I might as well paint them.

What would you say is the "required" stuff to do when painting so that they don't look like a piece of shit? How do I make the best of what I have with practically 0 painting experience?

Finally broke down and got Voidraven. They look awesome in my opinion, but have always just never quite been worth it. This edition looks promising, so fuck it. They're 194 with missiles, so the question now is scythe or void lance since they're both free? I'm leaning on the lance because it's better than a Lascannon.

I'd go for the lances too.

Volley guns never overheated, there was an errata which clarified that it was a typo

First for our Queen of the Imperium of Man Queen Yvraine, kneel before your majesty citizens

how is my list?

I know this'd be pissing in the wind at this point, but what are the odds that the Imperial Militias list gets ported over to 8th? I had a NotSquat army in the works for it but obviously now everything's up in the air. I'm also figuring I could use an IG/SM force for it but I liked the modular flavour of the militias list.

Does Pedro Kantor look any good in this new edition?

If you're referring to HH militia then it won't- FW have stated they're sticking with 7th.

What time do GW preorders go up? I want to try to get one of their limited edition rulebooks.

/wip/ will likely be more helpful, but the basics are:

>thin your paints
It's a meme, but it's a meme for a reason. It's better to put on multiple thin coats instead of one thick one. The consistency you're looking for is like slim milk.

>get a good brush
For fucks sake, just spent the $15-20 on a good brush. It's like people who cancel a $500 order because of $5 shipping. You're spending hundreds of dollars on a brush, get a decent one. Cheap ones work, but they generally don't last.

>dont overload your brush
This is huge. All you need is the tip so you can control how much paint is in there. Plus when paint dries in the top bristles, the brush gets shitty and you can't keep a good tip

>brush soap
I didn't believe it until I tried it, but fucking hell. $7 for the pot and I regret nothing. It can restore many shit brushes, make shit brushes better, and keep good brushes good.

>practice and patience
This is the big thing. You will generally suck before you're decent. That's life. Just stick with it and you'll get better. Pic related is my progress over 10 years. If you think your first model is shit, don't get rid of it. Keep it and see how far you've come.

Finally, Duncan. He's the guy who does the Warhammer TV tips of the day, and is generally good for basic techniques and some advanced ones.

Basically, the steps are pretty simple.
>wash the mini with some slightly soapy water to get rid of any release agent that repels paints and in your case, to remove dust
>prime your mini - you can use a spray primer if you need to. /wip/ should be able to tell you which primers are good and which aren't
>base coat the primary color
>do detail colors
>apply a wash on certain parts where you want the detail to pop out
>go over with a lighter color for some edge highlights
>seal the paints in with a varnish if you really want to

Duncan Rhodes on GW's youtube channel does daily painting tutorials, you should check them out.

youtube.com/watch?v=_odi1c7ErCg

What time can you start pre-ordering stuff?

I need some of those funky objective markers and I'm buggered if I'm going to miss out like I did with the admech tractors.

That was just "For the time being", wasn't it? Though if they drag their heels with updating it'd basically be the same thing anyway.

Oh fuck, I forgot the most important part. Thin your paints. It's a meme for a good reason. Thick paints cover up details and generally just look fucking bad. You'll wanna get a palette and put the paint on your brush, spread it on the palette and then thin it down with water. You won't need much, about a brushload or two per brushload of paint. A lot of people say you should look for a consistency of milk for your paint's thickness but it's hard to describe and really comes down to practice.

Also, your first mini's gonna suck, even with all the advice anyone can give you. Don't sweat it too hard. An overnight soak in Simple Green will get rid of any truly terrible paintjobs you do and it's a learning experience. No one's a good painter overnight, but I guarantee you WILL see a difference between your first mini and even your second.

is he even alive in the new index?

>brush soap
Any good link ?

What to use for white primers?

Most i tried cover up the details like motherfuckers.

>with water
water works, but medium is better. If you don't want to bother with medium add a tiny drop of dish soap to the cup of water you are using to thin it with.

also for brushes, you don't need the best top of the line ones, but don't go with the bargain bin ones. and GWs brand overcharges. any hobby store and the 6-10 dollar 5 brush hobby set is a good starting point.

The more expensive brushes are better, but you don't know how to use them or not fuck them up yet.

C&C?

Masters Brush Cleaner. I got mine for $7 at AC More

Thanks to both of you, I'll check out the video tutorial as well.

I'm at least happy that kid-me was a lazy fuck and didn't paint most of the box set, gives me a bunch of minis to practice on in case I want to pursue the hobby further.

He's 170 points, pretty much the same stats as before but with WS 2+ and 6 W.

Everyone within 6 inches gets an extra attack and can re-roll 1's to hit.

GW spray followed by white gesso. Gesso is weird stuff, but once you get used to it, you will never want to paint a miniature without it. The trick is not to thin it down too much and really work it into the nooks and crannies of the model. It will look like it's going to cover all the detail but as it dries, it shrinks and pulls itself tight. The way it can go wrong is if you add too much water, it sometimes forms blobs or stretches across gaps.

If you fuck it up, just soak it in some isopropyl alcohol and give it a scrub with a toothbrush to clean everything off (soak for five minutes, scrub, back in the IPA for another five minutes, scrub again, repeat about four times and you will remove all acrylic paint and gesso).

who /stayingupforpreorders/ here?

Lke this one ?

Not those anons, but yes. Masters is fantastic and makes your brushes last a fucking long time. Get some.

That brush cleaner is pretty good. I use it with acrylics and oil paints also.

Pre-Orders are 10am Local time, which means you can already look at them on the NZ Webstore.

No Forgeworld Preorders yet though, probably 10am UK time for those.

If I was to paint golden necrons, what color do you guys think would go good for the gauss parts? Or is it just customary to paint it green no mater what?

Thanks lads

>Gesso

He's not lying about the shrinkage. Here's a model I purposefully put way too much on and let dry as a test. The dried model isn't perfect, but holy fuck I was shocked.

Yes. It's good shit.

Yeah 1 per kit

The kit comes with one of each special weapon so you can esily build squads of 10 with 4x of the same weapon.

Wasted on scions. Only one shot at any range. When you can deep strike better to go with plasma gun and get 2 shots.

59 preorders wew

Yeah I meant staying up to pre order it Im in UK so its in like 20 minutes

That's still less bs than bring dark and craftworld Eldar together.

>826 New Zealand dolarrydoos for the limited edition.

Translates into nearly $600 on burger bucks.

Why

Same user

Or is it in 20 minutes or is it like at a certain time of day in the UK?

GW doesn't update their store until 10AM GMT so you may as well go to bed.

Comes down to what you want. Against a full tank profile (T8 3+) the Lance slightly wins out, 1.56 wounds to 1.33 wounds. Against a vehicle with lower toughness the Scythe wins out, 1.78 wounds to 1.56 wounds. The scythe is of course better against multiple model units of course. So the Scythe is probably better in a vacuum. That said, the Lance is one of the few DE weapons well equipped to fight full on tanks whereas the scythes preferred prey are also more vulnerable to disintegrators and all the other darklight weaponry. So there's an argument for the bit of extra top level performance you get from the Void Lances.

Shieeeeeeet

>implying my craft world will ever stop hunting down unrepentant and unreformed Dark Eldar.

We will drive their sins from the universe so Slaanesh may never again gain strength. Even as Ynnead forgives we do not.

What does everyone think the new points norm is going to be instead of1500 and 1850? 2000 and 2500?

It goes up at 10 tomorrow morning, user, go to bed.

Why are you pre-ordering anyway? Veeky Forums will have the ebooks by next week free of charge.

> INB4 'muh design studio has 5 kids to feed'.

I reserved my copy at my FLGS a few days ago.

So played 2 games of 8th edition today, my GK vs Orks.
Only a thousand points, I had Voldus, 5 terminators, 10 man strike squad and 10 Interceptors. The orks were 3 seperate warbuggies, 3 seperate deffkoptas, a wartrakk, a blitzbomba, 3 nobs on bike, and 2 warbosses on bike.
Grey Knights are very much back in business, it is really easy to pick and deploy your army in such a way that your whole army is just outside 9'' of the enemy turn one, and low unit count means you will go first very often. Every unit doing 1 wound with Smite doesn't sound like much, but it really adds up and might even be a little on the OP side. Psycannons turned out to be way more usefull than Incinerators, even Interceptors struggled to get in range to use them. Stormbolters doing double the shots at 12'' is fucking nuts, even a squad of 5 GK throws out 20 shots. Voldus is a fucking beast and probably needs a point increase to be honest, a daemonhammer with flat 3 damage on a dude that hits on 2+ with re-roll 1's is just silly. That he also gives the re-roll to everything in 6'' range and on top of that can cast three powers is just too much. I thought Purge Soul wasn't that special, but with the general leadership nerfs and Grand Masters having high Ld. you often do lots of wounds if not one-shot multi-wound models below 7 wounds. Gate of Infinity being available to all your units that you want is super flexible, even if just one unit has it. Hammerhand is really, really nasty in melee. The Rule Of One definatly has a good reason to exist, if all units could use Purge Soul GK would be even more rediculus.

The orks didn't do too well, as it turns out spamming multi-wound models vs GK is a really bad idea. He also had an army that was either really fast or could deep-strike, but even with the re-roll a 9'' charge is just a little too unreliable to build your army around, shooting units still benefit waaay more from deep-striking.

Overall 8th still felt like 40k, but a lot faster

Don't tell me space orks are still shit?

Is there anything orks can't loot?

Seeing the leaks for the first time now.

What the fuck have they done to my Inquisitorial warbands?

On a side note, is there ANYthing unique about Greyfax compared to a classic inquisitor now?

>it is really easy to pick and deploy your army in such a way that your whole army is just outside 9'' of the enemy turn one

Did you remember that half your units have to be deployed normally, or were you not playing matched play?

What's the best way to get a Nid army started (aside from start collecting boxes)?
I've been lurking ebay for a while now, but I haven't come across any really good deals in some time.

Marines are easy to get cheap from the starter sets, but I'm surprised by how hard it is to find Nids on the cheap.
I would have expected they'd be easier to find considering how old the models are by now.

Yes. She's extra effective at psychic defense.

Welcome to 'Age of 40K 8th General's Handbook Edition: Chapter Approved'.

Everything is either a 3+ or a 4+.

>is there anything orks can't loot?
A victory

A greater daemon.

So how does this initiative work in 8th?

Ass of Shitlords.

It doesn't

Just have to settle for lesser daemons

It's gone, first to charge is first to strike, if there are multiple combatants you take turns with each unit until they've all been.

That's why I'm leaning toward the Lances. Deldar have plenty of other options to deal with what the Scythes can hit, and the missiles can also full that gap, with the d6 shredding autocannon hits. However, if the meta starts to prefer more infantry to bigger tanks, than the scythes will make the raven shine.

I really really like this picture. Can I save it?

No, that was just a shit army.

I am slightly aroused.

It's all yours friend.

my heart

think of it as two phases

phase 1: units who charged or have special Always strike first rules (eldar banshees)
Phase 2: everyone else

So in each phase players alternate on their units who fit the criteria then move onto phase 2 for the rest of their units doing the same

I think he's talking aboutdeep striking/outflanking since it's pretty prevalent (albeit those lists seem to do it more than normal)

First time pre ordering from GW. What time does 8th go on presage?

Thanks.

>no boyz
What?

10am your local time.

in 8th can i do an army of this sexy man?

Is the confusion over how or why?

Thanks!

That's what I mean. You can't deep strike /outflank / tunnel / whatever with your whole army. Only 50% at most.

It'll be a lot tougher.

>SoS use cadres of 3 squads
>factions aren't getting their own formations
>literally impossible to play a fluffy SoS detachment because they don't have an HQ in 40k
>also don't get null rhinos anymore
>still pay extra for them
T-thanks gw!

Not really. No HQ. But he's there.

Yes, why.
It's orks. Why do you not have a squad of boyz?

Because he wanted to lose his first game in 8th

Factions will get their own formations in their codex.

Forge the narrative goy.

No

Looking to finally get a knight for my Admech army. I was thinking a shooty crusader, because I like the idea of a giant ass robot raining bullets on the enemy behind infantry, but I'm not sure if I a choppy knight would be better due to having alot of shooting to start with. Help?

You mean detachments, not formations.

All in due time