Nonbasic lands edition!

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

Ace Chemical, the place that turned a completely normal guy into the Joker.

My attempt at giving Red a comeback lifegain mechanic.

Seems fine to me. Flavor's there, and the ability is strong without being too good. Also it sacs which is nice because the plant blew up didn't it?

I dunno if Form of the Dragon and Worldfire are enough to justify this, but they might be.
It's still pretty cool. I personally think it's fine, since mythics can be a bit off the wall, and they're really where color twisting belongs in the standard game.

Okay, I'm not a competitive MtG player so I don't see what you or others might see in this, but it seems really bad to me. Like, I get that it's repeatable ramp that thins your deck but aren't there better ways? I'm not sure it needs to ETB tapped.

I get the feeling the tutor compensation might bight you in the ass one too many times for my taste, but I suppose more often than not it'll get you ahead of the game.

So I made a prototype for a new primer. I saw a few folks mention the old one felt a bit dated so I spruced it up. It's a work in progress, so feel free to speak up about any changes that might need to be made. Also, I know Defender doesn't show up on the keyword chart. I should probably add it under all colors as either secondary or tertiary, to represent that it shouldn't be used that often.

>Nonbasic lands edition!

Let's post this old conversation starter.

Here's a quick one I made in my "random card ideas" set.

how bout dis

>Chasm is a forest
>Cove is not an island
???

Sorry, was using old/new image exports.

Seems balanced compared to Kor Haven

Blue land acceleration isn't really a thing and limiting it to blue stopping it is very weird.

The idea is that it simulates a counterspell. Also I can't think of decent ideas or pictures for others in the cycle.

It makes it very, very hard to stop however. for example is something that anyone can theoretically stop, the blue one requires your opponent be playing a specific colour. Costs that any other player can choose to pay are almost never coloured.

Hard to stop in the same sense that non-blue colors have a hard time stopping Rampant Growth.

Rampant growth doesn't offer people 'Discard a card to negate me'.

Land acceleration is also not really in blue's wheelhouse.

Bumping this up a little with a card I did for the Snowflake thread over yonder Ironically, I actually made the card and flake months before Amonkhet came out, pretty just just hoping that it would fit with it. Not sure it's the best card though.

Where the hell did timeanon run off to damn it. I want to see more of that new set

So are the snowflake threads the circlejerk they sound like they could be? I'd stop in and lurk but it'd take too long to get a sense of how they are when I could just ask someone else. If they're actually reasonably serious and care about lore and fluff and aren't about waifuism then they might be neat.
>card
+1 should be "becomes" not "is". Capitalization on types. I think you could also say "that's still a planeswalker" but what you have might save a tiny bit of space so eh, no big deal there. For the -2 there are no permanents in the graveyard. There are only permanent cards. "Their owner's library". "Emblem with". "As long as its your turn, permanents you control have indestructible." All in all, it's alright. I don't like that turning him into a creature is his +1, but Gideon, Ally of Zendikar did it, so eh, sure. Gideon is a bit more balanced though because he can be Murdered or something; this guy only dies to -X/-X and exile. He's probably fine, all told, but I don't really find him too remarkable.

No way this is a common. Noooo sir. It's an interesting idea, but I think it steps on blue's toes. Would more likely be UB I feel. Also, do us all a favor and if you're going to post lots of cards, use a collage or two to keep relevant cards together, like your land cycle for example. Keeps the thread streamlined and makes it easier to compare them all side by side for evaluation. That said, I don't really care for the idea of lands that ramp themselves. It doesn't fit into any color other than green for the most part, and possibly black. I can also see a case for white as a balance effect, and red if it slaps you or something. But not blue at all.

Haven't seen him in a bit myself; being summer I figured he'd be a fixture around here. Maybe he's got some seminar or something occupying his time; they do like to make teachers work over the summer when they can. I'm sure he'll pop in.

That PW as printed dies to damage while creature'ing, since it still loses loyalty.

He showed up in a few of the most recent sets with commons for his fifth set. Yes, fifth. His mechanics for that set were Imbue and Enlightenment, IIRC.

But yeah, he usually dumps commons then leaves until he comes back much later.

Yeah I was around for that. G and W commons so far. Not really a fan of Enlightenment or Imbue, but I feel like Imbue has promise if he can get it to a good spot. I'm just not sure "Black Vise: the Mechanic" is a good idea overall. But hey, he might make it work.

Crap, you're right. That might explain why Gideon does it the way he does. I'm not too good at PWs so I totally missed that interaction.

Just look how the mono-Red Sarkhan did it.

Do you have a list of his cards anywhere, I haven't been saving them

>Using this against storm
>Two can play this game

I'd have it enter tapped too.

Yeah, that'd fix it. Again, I'm just a pleb at PWs. There's a reason I hardly make them. And nobody I play with really likes them so I don't even see them on the table, but we're all filthy casuals so that doesn't mean much.

Nah, I haven't. They'd be in the archive though.

I'd change this to have it untap whenever an opponent casts a spell and it's your turn. As it is, it is pretty much going to untap during the opponent's turn, then you can just hold onto it till your turn and use it as normal. So the drawback really isn't, especially since it doesn't ETB tapped.

OK, the most streamlined versions of these cards now. And finally came up with something for Panda's counter removal ability. Hopefully the core mechanics are solid and the last part is adjusting the numbers.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to judge this. Though from my novice understanding of MTG gameplay, it doesn't seem that good to me, and it could be better just by tucking the nonlands.

Hmm, the tutor could put you in a bind. Maybe make it 4 CMC to compensate? Or maybe the player can put a permanent card from his or her hand onto the battlefield?

>Ace Chemical
Thanks. As for what happened to the plant, I think it's one of those details that changes from story to story. But really I included the sac for balance.

>Lifeflame Phoenix
Thanks. I just thought it was a kinda cool idea to burn through your life total for a lot of damage. Reminds me of that Hellion with Echo X. And it was originally made when an user wanted to make a Red comeback card, something like Angel's Grace. He wanted to make it Red to tie into the flavor of Phoenixes, and I said he'd have to make a flash mythic to justify bending the color pie that much. So this was my go at his idea.

>new primer
Seems pretty good, though a few things about the keywords. Defender I'm honestly not entirely sure you should even bother with since it's used so rarely. Prowess I think is secondary in Red. And I think Menace is secondary in Black. I certainly wouldn't say Trample is tertiary for Blue, because then you're basically saying Blue gets Trample as much as Black, which is blatantly untrue. I'm not sure you should bother putting Equip as a keyword. You forgot to include Fight in Red. But polish this and I'll gladly use it from now on.

Another go at this manland.

...I don't remember this thing at all. It's weird as hell. Technically I guess it works, but still.

Seems cool. Maybe have it ETB tapped though. Oh, and we use C for adding colorless mana now.

Huh, pretty weird. Sorry, no clue on these.

Seems fine to me. Actually might be kinda weak. Maybe add W instead of colorless? Could be wrong though.

How are the snowflake threads? I'm actually considering posting there, but if it's just a Mary Sue circlejerk I'll pass.

No problem, planeswalkers are probably the hardest cards to design by far.

>card
Eh, I think I'd rather it be Deathtouch or Lifelink so it works both on attack and block. Interesting idea though. Kinda breaks NWO, but oh well.

I think it can get away with coming in untapped because of an amount of uncertainty about what colors it will produce, similarly to something like River of Tears.

Shouldn't the double strike thing be an "instead" since having both is redundant? Also Panda reads strangely to me.

Have you ever experimented with doing Menace and Deathtouch with Mack? Could go that route then reserve First Strike/Pingstrike for Panda:
>Clownface
"Whenever ~ attacks, put a knife counter on it. As long as it has one knife counter on it, it has deathtouch. As long as it has two or more knife counters on it, it has menace.

1BR. T, Remove a knife counter from @: Destroy target creature."
>Panda
"Whenever ~ attacks, put a gun counter on it. As long as it has a gun counter on it, it has first strike. As long as it has two or more gun counters on it, it has "Whenever @ attacks, it deals 3 damage to target creature."

2R, T, Remove a gun counter from @: @ deals 3 damage to target player."

I dunno, just a thought. I don't expect you to use any of this. The upside is you might be able to make Panda cheaper going this route, but I dunno about Clownface.

I feel like this should follow the themes of your Amazon stuff more. Like, when you manland it, you get to attach an Equipment or Aura you control to it or something. Actually, making it so you can attach an Aura from your hand without paying its mana cost could be cool since when it stops being a creature the Aura falls off so it basically turns Auras into combat tricks. Just an idea. As it is, it seems fine though, if you want to keep it simple, which isn't a bad thing.

Not a bad idea to make it deathtouch. I could make it a 2/4 maybe... not sure if that's too much toughness though.
>breaks NWO
The "four lines is too much" thing feels arbitrary to me, but yeah, as they are, it breaks the red-flagging rules. I mean it can still exist, but it'd take up a slot. The 4-line rule really bones cards that have drawbacks and benefits, like that one.

Noticed a small ownership issue.

>Clownface and Panda
I just don't really see much advantage to your suggestions. Sorry.

>Themyscira
I was actually just thinking about that. Not entirely sure about the idea though, since I don't like how Auras will pretty much go into the grave but Equipment won't. Hmm, actually just had an idea about making a token copy to attach then exile it at end of turn. Might do that. In any case, I also have another land that tutors for an Amazon, Aura, or Equipment.

This actually seems pretty good. A combination of Hideaway and Gemstone Mine.

>Clownface and Panda
No that's fine. I was just trying to think of ways to keep the spirit of the cards, simplify, and use your counter idea. I'd normally push for them to use +1/+1 counters instead but nobody wants to listen to more of that. I've said my piece.
>Themyscira
Tokens could work.

Why are Mercenaries so fun to make?

Repost from last thread, and the last card from me tonight. Evil AI converts humans to his cause and takes over technology. I'm worried it's just a dull version of Memnarch though.

Echo's already a downside, why add more? I also don't understand how this works. Like, what if it leaves the battlefield before its Echo cost was paid, do you still lose? I seriously just don't understand why you added the lose the game bit to it.

Hm. This... might actually be okay. It's definitely useful in Limited, though I don't think many constructed decks run land Auras?

Shame your typeline is so full; it'd be funny if this could be an Eye creature too. Is the Hexproof necessary though? Does he have a function that cloaks or shields OMACs in the source material?

>Marauder
I originally had it costed at 2B but that felt a touch too cheap. Maybe it'd be better? Also how is a trigger that doesn't exist supposed to go off? If she's off the battlefield before the Echo trigger hits the stack, it's not there to hit the stack man. This is some 101-grade stuff. I added the "you lose" bit because if you don't pay, she kills you, and she dies presumably because your goons kill her in response. Now that you got me thinking about it though, I get the feeling I should go back to 2B/2B for the casting cost and Echo. 8 mana is too steep for something with that drawback. Of course, if you have a sac engine then 2B is a fucking steal. Hm.

Oh, and I forgot to say: I'll doctor up that new primer at some point.

Grandeur is such an odd mechanic; it seems tailor-made for Constructed and purposely crap for draft. I liked it when we had anons experimenting with Grandeur-alike mechanics a year or two ago. Was it that long? Might have been longer. I've been around for too long.

Personally, I'd make Marauder be a 4/4 at that cost, and make it deal damage equal to its power to you if you don't pay the echo cost. Makes no sense to me that some random 5/4 shmuck can instakill a player when an eldrazi titan takes two goes at it.

Regarding Grandeur, I've done some experimenting with a reverse-Grandeur that rewards only having one of a thing out. Nothing really ready to post, though.

4/4 at 2B? Hm. I think you might be right about the damage thing though. What about 4/5? 4/4 just seems too small at 4BB. 5/4 really does feel right to me, especially if it hits you for 5 if you don't pay the echo, but the only 5 power Haste Echo creature is Timbermare and it's 3G/5G and has another upside. I kinda think I can get away with 2B/2B and 5/4 at that rate, since there's a drawback. Or maybe 2B/3B so you curve into the Echo cost? Hm. Yeah why force myself to use old Echo?

It's a wonder we don't have more cards that grant Prowess. Does WotC think it's not fun to have to spend mana to grant a keyword that essentially costs mana?

Oops, forgot to comment on your Grandeur-like.
>rewards having only one of a thing out
Hm. Loner mechanics are usually not very popular, so you might have an uphill climb.

>Hm. Loner mechanics are usually not very popular, so you might have an uphill climb.
Yeah, it's why I scrapped it.
Currently I think the best way to do it would be to have cards do one thing alone and another if paired, but that's a giant chunk of verbage and complexity.

Yeah. Though, it's possible to do a "one-of" mechanic that cares about not being alone. It might get wordy, but having singleton cards that care about being with other singletons that functions kinda like Exalted... maybe call it "Rabble" or something. Could even be an ETB ability word.

Sounds parasitic.

How's this look?

>The Chosen Undead's power and toughness are equal to the number of turns you've taken.
That's just cruel to the person playing it. Also, absurdly overpowered. A five-mana creature that's a minimum of 5/5 and gets +1/+1 every turn? And has persist on top of that?

Alright. You think changing it to "The Chosen Undead's power and toughness are equal to the number of turns you've taken minus three" might be better?

> math
I have a better option.
> You may cast the chosen undead from your graveyard
> Whenever you cast the chosen undead from your graveyard, put a +1/+1 counter on it equal to the number of times it has been cast from your graveyard.

Depends on if you go by creature types or names.

Five mana and WUBRG are very different in terms of cost.

Not significantly enough for it to justify a creature that grows unconditionally and has persist.

I think you really overestimate it.
To be honest, I think it's actually pretty weak.

Compare it to any of the WUBRG slivers, or the other WUBRG legends.
It'll likely be a 6/6 or so when it comes out, be significantly worse if cheated out early, and really, a big dumb creature with persist ain't that hard to deal with in turn 6.

And if it is bighuge because it's turn 10, then who's fault is it for letting it get to turn 10?

In her current state, she'd singlehandedly fuck over burn and would see a good amount of modern play. Her +1 and -2 are already strong and even more bonkers if she stays on the battlefield for more than a turn. The only overtly bad matchup for her is against combo.
>+1
Tutoring for ANY basic untapped and effectively gaining 5 life the turn you play her is already pretty bonkers. Potentially being able to do that again the next turn for free is even more so. Consider changing it to "Search your library for a basic Forest" and/or "put it onto the battlefield tapped." For comparison, Freyalise costs 3GG and her +2 only puts a 1/1 green dork with summoning sickness into play, and she's still considered to be rather powerful.
>-2
At worst, you'll gain 4-8 life and your opponent can probably bolt her now. At best, just with her alone, you're gaining 12 life on turn five if you played a land and +1'd her the turn before, and at that point, at least in a standard environment, the game is basically over. Combine that with even more ramp, or doing it multiple times, and the only way you'll lose is against combo or a buttload of fatties and some really bad decisions on your part.
Should be -3 and/or changed to "for each Forest you control."
>-7
Said creature dies to removal, but otherwise this ult seems fine for a standard, draft, or highlander environment, which is pretty much the bar set for planeswalker ultimates at the moment.

This is a planeswalker I could see being printed at 4GG or with nerfed +1/-2 abilities, but in her current state she's just way too powerful and would never leave R&D.

These kids with their weird ass cards.

Triad is good simply for it's stats and ninjitsu cost.
Cosmic Mage is at least decent with double prowess.
Nebula Mage is good for being a 2 mana 3/1 flier.

None of them even remotely need their confusing-ass abilities. Triad is undercosted in general (not to mention the first and second abilities are off-color), Cosmic's will probably only serve to make a single card a blue spirit guide for spells that target of all things, and you'll never use Nebula's ability since it's a godawful, conditional Snapcaster effect for cards you'd have liked to have played from your hand anyway. Whoever designed these has to have brain damage.

Mostly playing about with the idea of a planeswalker interacting with energy. Balance is likely all over the damn place as it's a first draft and energy is tricky to value.

Trying to stick with the golden rule they had for Kaladesh energy cards of 'It has to be able to make and use energy without anyone else'.

And a silly (If less experimental) version of her based on playing with both Blue and Red's spell recursion options.

Barry Allen. Decided to give him DStrike since it seems pretty speedster-y to me and I haven't used it on any of them yet. I do realize it could be too much though. My other idea was to make an ability that makes spells your opponents control that target him cost 1 more to cast for each speed counter on him, I guess to show how he can easily outrun stuff. Or something like that.

Unfortunately I have a full shift at work today, so I won't be able to post cards until much later. Hopefully I'll still be able to post responses.

It's like an evolving wilds that doesn't thin your deck but can tap for colourless right away if need be. That's tight.

What the fuck am I looking at?

Seriously, what is this? Why did you make it this way? The abilities, if I understand them properly, contradict each other. Is this a joke? Am I being trolled?

I'm afraid the other user is mostly right. Nebula Mage is stupid; a 2 mana 3/1 flier that draws a good card for UU in the late game is not fair by any stretch of the imagination.
Cosmic is a little strange in that the second ability doesn't seem blue, though I'm not exactly sure what color it is (maybe black?). Spelling out the double prowess would be cleaner (less triggers), but I prefer it as is.
Triad is way too efficient, both in size and in returns on the ETB payment. I do think the abilities are mostly on color, except that the exile should be destroy. And keep in mind that Aether Vial is a card. T1 9/9 is not okay.

Perfect. Wouldn't mind this actually being printed.
Wins races in limited, but otherwise meh.
That's not a curse. There's a potential for good flavour there, but as is it card falls flat.

4 mana to gain 8 life at sorcery speed is way too fucking slow against modern burn, and she is not impactful enough for modern in general.

Great against tokens.

Protection from Deathtouch is not correct, maybe something like "When a creature with Deathtouch deals damage to Nito Wordswords, prevent that damage instead."
You would probably need to make him more expensive for that, but I appreciate your idea

>Protection from Deathtouch is not correct
Correct.

>maybe something like "When a creature with Deathtouch deals damage to Nito Wordswords, prevent that damage instead."
[screaming internally]
I believe this wording
>Protection from creatures with deathtouch
Would work. And I'll back this up with citations from the comp rules.
>702.16a Protection is a static ability, written “Protection from [quality].” This quality is usually a color (as in “protection from black”) but can be any characteristic value. If the quality happens to be a card name, it is treated as such only if the protection ability specifies that the quality is a name. If the quality is a card type, subtype, or supertype, the ability applies to sources that are permanents with that card type, subtype, or supertype and to any sources not on the battlefield that are of that card type, subtype, or supertype. This is an exception to rule 109.2.
Note how it says "characteristic value". So, what are characteristics?
>109.3. An object’s characteristics are name, mana cost, color, color indicator, card type, subtype, supertype, rules text, abilities, power, toughness, loyalty, hand modifier, and life modifier. Objects can have some or all of these characteristics. Any other information about an object isn’t a characteristic. For example, characteristics don’t include whether a permanent is tapped, a spell’s target, an object’s owner or controller, what an Aura enchants, and so on.
Rules text, ei. keywords. And considering we already have cards that affect creatures with certain keywords, I'm very certain it works just fine.

Oh wait. Actually, now that I look at it, "Protection from deathtouch" could actually be correct.

No change. I'll probably move it to finished soon.

>Brother Eye
I'll remove Hexproof then. I guess I just wanted him to be more than a duller version of Memnarch.

>It's a wonder we don't have more cards that grant Prowess. Does WotC think it's not fun to have to spend mana to grant a keyword that essentially costs mana?
I've actually started to wonder about this, and part of me thinks they're worried it could confuse newbies. Like, I can already see a situation where someone thinks that the creature gets +1/+1 too, since they had to cast a noncreature spell to grant the creature Prowess. Or it could be like equipment and planeswalkers, they're trying to give it more time before they really interact with it.

Very nice. Not a fan of the flavor though.

This should enter tapped, shouldn't it?

It's cute, but extremely narrow.

I'd increase the cost and make it a functional anthem with the current effect as just an added bonus. It's not useful enough to justify dedicating an entire card to it, even with how cheap it is.

Wow my bad, my keyboard killed the "other" from "exile all other creatures".

Being able to get and attack with a Dragon the first turn you play it is too good. As it is now, it should either sacrifice or exile the Dragon at the end of combat.

Not the only misstake, but the biggest one.
>When ~ becomes monstrous, exile all other creatures, then return those cards to the battlefield under their owners' control.
No official precedence, so I'm cobbling together a few different cards. But still, what's the flavor here? And why do you use hyphens?

>johnnystartsbrewing.webm
You know I can't pretend to know why you'd even want this unless it's to interact with some Naya things or something, but there's got to be a reason you made it.

I don't know that this would be uncommon simply because I don't know that you'd want to give someone the chance to have more than one their deck in a draft.

>Brother Eye
Then figure out something else he does, I guess. I mean he's already more flexible than Memnarch because he requires blue mana. This kinda things gonna happen when you're looking at a character that MtG already kinda has.

>protection from creatures with a comma in their names
>protection from spells with more than five words of rules text
>protection from Wood Elemental
Ahahahahahahahaha

Yeah this seems about right. Could also be BG if you wanted.

I was going to scoff at Shroud but actually, it makes sense. Though this thing is degenerate with a LOT of cards, and blue can pave the way pretty easily with Sleep and other similar effects.

I like the flavor here, but I agree it being a Curse feels a little off. I'm also pretty sure they'd print this at rare.

Woah, not at common mister. This card is a potentially powerful combat trick.

I don't think this should be hybrid because black doesn't get to kill artifact creatures (though I think there's a fringe card I'm forgetting but I looked it up and I can't find it) and red straight gacking creatures is rather rare.

My fingers hurt just reading that card name. Thanks user. I dunno if I agree with the other user though; you just spent 7 mana on something that grants tribal haste. If it didn't do something else, it'd be garbage. Maybe change it to fish for a Dragon on upkeep and let you play one from your hand when it drops?

I wanted desperately to give this card the Mercenary subtype but it would have been too cluttered. Hopefully I got the flavor right.

Er, I didn't finish my thought here:
>black doesn't get to kill artifact creatures on the cheap
Is what I meant. Artifact and enchantments are black's weak point.

Had to fix a really stupid mistake.

This. Non-creatures can have deathtouch as well as any other keyword. Although giving them such keywords is roundabout, it can be done and as such would make the wording correct. For instance, March of the Machines plus artifacts like Aetherflux Reservoir combined with keyword effects, and disenchant targeting March will still have Reservoir keep it's keywords during combat damage.